As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Girl Is an Excellent TV Show Now - Current Episode Spoilers Inside

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    So, I just got around to watching the latest episode...and holy crap, I don't think I've gotten this frustrated with a show in a long time. Can somebody please explain to me two things:
    1) When it became obvious that Alex was doomed, why couldn't J'onn rip Alex's location out of Rick's memory? I know he said that he couldn't read Rick's mind because he's "blocking" J'onn...but given that the episode ends with J'onn removing specific memories, that's not exactly consistent.
    And 2) when the stakes are "Release this person who I am emotionally connected with or I kill person you are emotionally connected with" and the death-wheels of the machine that are going to kill the hostage are already in motion, why did nobody (and I'm talking specifically about Maggie here...cuz I'm not sure if Kara would go down the path of Injustice here) say "If she dies, your dad dies too"?

And a personal observation:
    Holy shit...I absolutely loathed the whole damseling of Alex. Throughout the episode, I was saying to myself "They wouldn't possibly kill off Alex!" and then I had to catch myself with the realization of "Oh wait...this is now on the CW. Well'p...if she dies, I'm done with the show." It's shit like that that turned me off of Arrow mid-way through season 2.
    J'onn's telepathy is always breaking down, or blocked, or being overwhelmed by the mental something or other because otherwise he'd be able to wrap up 60/70% of plots before the first ad break, same as the transporters on Star Trek not being able to get through the local atmospheric interference because of the main deflector warp field something.
    And threatening to murder someone doesn't have much weight if the person issuing the threat is Supergirl, or associated with Supergirl because then Supergirl would be expected to stop them.
    This is a big reason why J'onn is the strongest super-hero in the DCU, not Superman. :)

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I love this dumb show.
    You put that much lead in the atmosphere, every human dies. Okay, it's designated to be "trace amounts, harmless to humans," but then that shit would settle down in the atmosphere in a week. Just tell Mon-El to take a vacation in Space Florida and come back in a few days. Or did that cube permanently ruin the atmosphere?

Plus that burst from the cube was NOT "trace amounts." Lena and Lillian just got a lungful of poison.

Mon-El's mom turned to stone because of the lead? That's... new. I thought she was full of Kryptonite? Wouldn't all the Kryptonite be revealed when she crumbled, instantly crippling Kara?

Oh, they cast Zod, I see, but only as a vision seen by Clark. I wonder who is going to become a major villain next season. Gee.

...and now J'onn and M'gann are macking and I am very grossed out. Ms. Martian is Martian Manhunter's niece in the comics! I fucking saw Young Justice, guys!

All that said, there was plenty of awesome in there.
    Kara beating Clark at full power, and Clark being enough of a man to own it. Suck it, MRAs!

Alex proposing to Maggie, dawwww!

Cat Grant actually does know that Kara is Supergirl. I knew it! Also: "Fake news."

The Daxumites seem to Jump Good, not fly, though there are a couple points where it's questionable.

Winn's awkward man-crush on Superman.

M'gann's heavy handed, "there are whites that are against oppression." Subtle, guys!

The episode title, "Nevertheless, She Persisted."

Basically the show doubled down on being comic booky as shit, and while the details may sometimes be silly or dumb, it never goes thematically off the rails, (I'm looking at you, The Flash).

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Finale teaser/cliffhanger
    I'd say either Doomsday or Brainiac, with my opinion leaning heavily on the former. I think the blood being used was the giveaway,
    as opposed to all the people sounding synthetic.

Mon-El
    He got sucked into the future now, right? Gonna join the Legion?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    I'd say either Doomsday or Brainiac, with my opinion leaning heavily on the former. I think the blood being used was the giveaway,
    as opposed to all the people sounding synthetic.

Mon-El

A comic book site I saw mentioned that it might be
    Reign, whom I'd never heard of but is basically a female Doomsday and is totally in this show's wheelhouse.

They already had Indigo, who is basically Brainiac. They might not want to go to that well twice.

• Options
    Right, I forgot about her. Totally plausible.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    My only desire is to get a name drop for the GLC sometime next season. They don't need to show up -- but acknowledgement of their existence would just make me so happy.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular

Mon-El

I would say yes in that from the confusing convoluted comics history, Mon El
    Is very heavily tied to the Legion. As well in several story lines he gets lead poisoning and in some form or fashion needs the legions help to cure it.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    If you saw Young Justice @Dracomicron then you would remember...
    that Miss Martian is not really J'onn's niece. She's a white martian there, too. Unless I'm missing something and she wasn't just posing as his niece there...

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jclast wrote: »
    If you saw Young Justice @Dracomicron then you would remember...
    that Miss Martian is not really J'onn's niece. She's a white martian there, too. Unless I'm missing something and she wasn't just posing as his niece there...

Dude.
    Blood doesn't define relationships. She still called him "Uncle J'onn" even after people knew she was a white martian, didn't she? He was still her guardian, and her sponsor to the YJ team.

Like, Clark can bang Martha, it's not like they're blood related, right? :bigfrown:

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Finale stuff I appreciated!
    As mentioned, Kara taking down Clark, and Clark admitting it when she tried to say it didn't happen.
    Clark not going all 'great protector' over Kara having a boyfriend, and trusting her to make a good decision.
    Everything else that showed Supergirl is absolutely no less of a hero than Superman, which I wish wasn't surprising these days but really was.

But yeah
    Anyone at ground zero of something that spread enough lead to contaminate the whole atmosphere permanently is gonna be having a bad time, but this is the same universe (though different Earth) that had all the Trickster's bombs fly into portals by reversing the polarity of the something something speedforce so whatever.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    As mentioned, Kara taking down Clark, and Clark admitting it when she tried to say it didn't happen.
    Clark not going all 'great protector' over Kara having a boyfriend, and trusting her to make a good decision.
    Everything else that showed Supergirl is absolutely no less of a hero than Superman, which I wish wasn't surprising these days but really was.

But yeah
    Anyone at ground zero of something that spread enough lead to contaminate the whole atmosphere permanently is gonna be having a bad time, but this is the same universe (though different Earth) that had all the Trickster's bombs fly into portals by reversing the polarity of the something something speedforce so whatever.

RE: the bolded bit in the first spoiler - this time.
    yes, I'm still bitter about the season 1 finale and Supergirl not being able to survive or even fly through space (even though it was said in a previous episode that Superman was "off-world")

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    http://www.avclub.com/article/floriana-lima-wont-be-series-regular-supergirl-nex-256010
    In what’s apparently going to be an annual tradition for Supergirl now, we’ll be a lot less of one core character when the show returns for its next season. This year it’s Floriana Lima, who plays police detective Maggie Sawyer on Supergirl, with Entertainment Weekly reporting that she wanted to “pursue other opportunities” instead of staying on as a series regular. She’ll still pop up in “multiple episodes,” but it’s unclear how many that will be.

• Options
    I'm not surprised, since her job (outside of one episode) was Alex's Girlfriend.

sig.gif
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Yeah, she was pretty kickass when they introduced her, but seemed to be given a lot less to do once she and Alex got together.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

But yeah

yes, I'm still bitter about the season 1 finale and Supergirl not being able to survive or even fly through space (even though it was said in a previous episode that Superman was "off-world")
    They never said he flew off of his own accord, though.
    Kara still had a working ship, why wouldn't he?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options

But yeah

It would be a pretty serious retcon of their powers, which would just bring about a whole new level of bitterness since I tend to dislike retconning superhero abilities.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Baron Of HellBaron Of Hell Registered User regular

But yeah

It would be a pretty serious retcon of their powers, which would just bring about a whole new level of bitterness since I tend to dislike retconning superhero abilities.

I have to disagree. The show is't beholden to the comic which has had a million different things some of which aren't even consistent within the comics. It would only be a retcon if the power is set is shown in the show and then changed. Also this power wasn't always in the comics or the cartoon.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

But yeah

I have to disagree. The show is't beholden to the comic which has had a million different things some of which aren't even consistent within the comics. It would only be a retcon if the power is set is shown in the show and then changed. Also this power wasn't always in the comics or the cartoon.

5726e1a3sgln.jpeg

• Options

But yeah

Counter-point:
    Every time I've seen Supes as shown to be flying in space with mechanical aid (spaceship, pod, etc...) it was as a show of solidarity with the other JLA members. If an emergency arose or the other JLA wasn't around, he'd be free flying in space. This is a point that even the Robot Chicken guys bring up to repeatedly mock Batman

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular

But yeah

Counter-point:
    Every time I've seen Supes as shown to be flying in space with mechanical aid (spaceship, pod, etc...) it was as a show of solidarity with the other JLA members. If an emergency arose or the other JLA wasn't around, he'd be free flying in space. This is a point that even the Robot Chicken guys bring up to repeatedly mock Batman

But... how can he fly in space outside of the range of a yellow sun?

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Kashaar wrote: »

But yeah

Counter-point:

But... how can he fly in space outside of the range of a yellow sun?

Tanning bed on the invisible jet? Or maybe he has to hop between yellow stars like an Elite: Dangerous ship.

• Options
    Superman's powers function the same way normal people don't have to perpetually be eating. He stores food as energy and uses it later.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Superman's powers function the same way normal people don't have to perpetually be eating. He stores food as energy and uses it later.

That varies, his power set can be minimally or majority changed based on who's writing him and which version they're using. For example, Post-52, all Krytonians could unleash a massive optic blast which would drain their "battery" for days leaving them a normal human being.

• Options

That varies, his power set can be minimally or majority changed based on who's writing him and which version they're using. For example, Post-52, all Krytonians could unleash a massive optic blast which would drain their "battery" for days leaving them a normal human being.

*pushes up his nerd-glasses*

As depicted in Supergirl Season 1, episode 6 leading into 7!

Is that spoiler? Should I stick that behind spoiler tags?

• Options
    I remember one Superman (Dean Cain I think) clarifying that he still needed to breathe but could hold his breath for a really long time (like, Guybrush Threepwood levels), so he was set up with an oxygen bottle or something and he was good for the several hours he needed to go punch an asteroid.

And if you want to complain about inconsistencies, we've seen Kryptonite vary from 'killing them by just being near' to 'just bring them down to human levels' and everything in between, so there are way bigger fish to fry then flying in space.

• Options
    I remember one Superman (Dean Cain I think) clarifying that he still needed to breathe but could hold his breath for a really long time (like, Guybrush Threepwood levels), so he was set up with an oxygen bottle or something and he was good for the several hours he needed to go punch an asteroid.

And if you want to complain about inconsistencies, we've seen Kryptonite vary from 'killing them by just being near' to 'just bring them down to human levels' and everything in between, so there are way bigger fish to fry then flying in space.

But that's internally consistent with how kryptonite works.

• Options
    Humans need to breathe because we get our energy from food.

Kryptonians have cells that act as solar batteries so it makes sense that they can go without oxygen.

• Options
    Humans need to breathe because we get our energy from food.

Kryptonians have cells that act as solar batteries so it makes sense that they can go without oxygen.

Kryptonians can be drowned, so them dying by suffocation should be a thing. There are versions who need to breathe oxygen, too, like in the Timm-verse.

• Options

I meant just green kryptonite.

• Options

I meant just green kryptonite.

Yeah, with just green kryptonite, it's still internally consistent since the severity of the exposure is what counts: "Green kryptonite weakens Superman and other Kryptonians and will kill them with long-term exposure." That being said...well, season 2 finale spoiler time:
    The real question should be "If Rhea's body was infused with green kryptonite, shouldn't the mere physical proximity to Kara have resulted in Supergirl being weakened?" The only thing I can think of on this one is that the radiation emitted from green kryptonite is short enough to get blocked by surrounding skin...but we've also seen that Kara gets affected by green kryptonite (or red) moments prior to the mineral being revealed out in the open (being previously hidden under an object, debris, or clothes). So..../shrug?

In any case, the effects have been fairly consistent...but the means of exposure have been a bit.....looser.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    If Superman can go into space, as has been shown, then Supergirl should be able to go into space.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    So, what was I seeing in the end of season stinger there?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jclast wrote: »
    So, what was I seeing in the end of season stinger there?
    Probably Reign, being introduced with extremely clunky writing to avoid using gender pronouns.
    Could have just had them talk to the baby whatever, so they can say "You will go to Earth and be a villain who goes undefeated until the finale when they suddenly find your one weakness", but they chose to go with clunky sounding 'it' instead.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    If Superman can go into space, as has been shown, then Supergirl should be able to go into space.
    She can in Injustice!

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/31/supergirl-odette-annable-cast-as-season-3-big-bad-reign/
    Supergirl has found its season 3 big bad.
    Odette Annable (Pure Genius) will be joining the CW series as a show regular in the role of Reign, EW has learned.

In the comics, Reign is the leader of the World Killers, who are genetically engineered Kryptonian weapons. Compared to some of the other foes Supergirl has faced on the show, Reign and her ilk are fairly new creations, having made their comic book debut during DC Comics’ New 52 initiative, which ended last year.
    “Greg [Berlanti] and I have wanted to work with Odette for years. We are beyond excited to have her join our cast in the scary, powerful and heartbreaking role of Reign,” said executive producer Andrew Kreisberg in a statement.

Reign’s arrival was actually teased in the season 2 finale, which ended with a flashback to the day of Krypton’s destruction that revealed Kara (Melissa Benoist) and her cousin weren’t the only Kryptonians who escaped the planet. In the stinger, several hooded figures placed an infant in a pod that left the planet before it exploded.

“It should survive the journey. It will grow strong on Earth… and then it will reign,” said the infant’s guardian as the pod was launched into space.

Supergirl returns this fall on the CW.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    So with that... (S3 speculation)
    I'm guessing we'll then be getting a Death of Supergirl arc. Which means we'll maybe be getting a Reign of the Super[person]s arc?I mean, James can play a version of Steel since his costume is that color scheme and Wynn probablyt would toss in some upgrades post-Kara. We've got Cyborg Superman who can slide in on behalf of Cadmus, I'm sure Eradicator can be a backup plan for (or played by) Indigo...

But ultimately, who wouldn't want to see Lena make a Power Girl that's half her and half Kara's DNA?

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    skeldare wrote: »
    http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/31/supergirl-odette-annable-cast-as-season-3-big-bad-reign/
    Supergirl has found its season 3 big bad.
    Odette Annable (Pure Genius) will be joining the CW series as a show regular in the role of Reign, EW has learned.

In the comics, Reign is the leader of the World Killers, who are genetically engineered Kryptonian weapons. Compared to some of the other foes Supergirl has faced on the show, Reign and her ilk are fairly new creations, having made their comic book debut during DC Comics’ New 52 initiative, which ended last year.
    “Greg [Berlanti] and I have wanted to work with Odette for years. We are beyond excited to have her join our cast in the scary, powerful and heartbreaking role of Reign,” said executive producer Andrew Kreisberg in a statement.

Reign’s arrival was actually teased in the season 2 finale, which ended with a flashback to the day of Krypton’s destruction that revealed Kara (Melissa Benoist) and her cousin weren’t the only Kryptonians who escaped the planet. In the stinger, several hooded figures placed an infant in a pod that left the planet before it exploded.

“It should survive the journey. It will grow strong on Earth… and then it will reign,” said the infant’s guardian as the pod was launched into space.

Supergirl returns this fall on the CW.

Wow, called it.

That website I looked at was all "Probably Doomsday or Classic Brainiac, but maybe Reign."

I read up on Reign and was all, "WTF it is definitely Reign. What show do they think they're watching?"

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Odette Anabelle?! Hell yea, has anyone seen Banshee? she kicks ass in that show.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Btw I just have to say one bit of dialogue cracked me up near the end of the finale, though I assume it wasn't meant to. When Kara says that
    everyone she cares about is in a relationship.

And I'm sitting there like "wait a second, Alex and Maggie...Wynn and whatshername, Lyra?...J'onn and Megan...I guess Clark and Lois..."

Poor, poor James.

• Options
    James is in a relationship with his suit.