As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blizzard to restore Classics: Diablo 2 Resurrected September 23rd!

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    At first I was a bit confused at the whole, “No copyright material allowed” as it had already been established in court years and years ago now that Publishers and Devs are not legally responsible for the shit players make.
    Which court? The EU copyright law is about to get much worse for things like this (basically it's saying the platform holders are responsible for it).

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    At first I was a bit confused at the whole, “No copyright material allowed” as it had already been established in court years and years ago now that Publishers and Devs are not legally responsible for the shit players make.
    Which court? The EU copyright law is about to get much worse for things like this (basically it's saying the platform holders are responsible for it).

US.

Sorry to hear about the EU.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

EU law is the reason every webpage asks me if it's ok they have cookies, so I hate them >-<

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    It kind of reeks of "If you were to make the next DOTA in our tools, we are legally allowed to steal the idea"

I mean that makes so much sense when you think about it, we see this in everyday life. If you paint on a canvas that you purchased from the store, the canvas maker owns your art. Similarly if you write a book in Microsoft Word, Microsoft now owns that. Your smartphone maker owns all your photos, Crayola owns all of the poorly drawn children's art, etc etc.

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    It kind of reeks of "If you were to make the next DOTA in our tools, we are legally allowed to steal the idea"

I mean that makes so much sense when you think about it, we see this in everyday life. If you paint on a canvas that you purchased from the store, the canvas maker owns your art. Similarly if you write a book in Microsoft Word, Microsoft now owns that. Your smartphone maker owns all your photos, Crayola owns all of the poorly drawn children's art, etc etc.

While I certainly laughed at it this, this is why the stipulation of ownership is a part of the EULA that players have to agree to.

If it wasn’t in there then they wouldn’t own it.

But even with it in there they maybe still don’t own it or maybe they do. That aspect is still very much in legal limbo and no one has tried to challenge it.

EULAs in general are a legal grey area in the US. Some aspects of them have been upheld by courts and other aspects weren’t. Some clauses in EULAs are inline with existing laws or precedents while other aspects literally go against US Federal Law. Not to mention whatever laws various States have. Some clauses are purposely vague and others are purposefully misleading. With other aspects running completely counter to how other products with user agreements are handled. Many EULAs state that they are not responsible if their software breaks your computer. However in most other areas of life this doesn’t work like that. ie: You buy a car part and the car part breaks your car you can sue the manufacturers and potentially even the people that sold you the part.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Funny joke, but like many funny jokes it really does not accurately describe the situation at all, muddying or ignoring aspects for the sake of the joke.

It's more like buying a canvas from a store, painting a copyrighted image like a recent movie poster or something (possibly by actually photoshopping from the original poster), then sticking that painting in the display window of the shop with a "For free" sticker on it and walking away. ...I can't really think of a proper physical example to exemplify the fact that said painting is also now in infinite supply, but that's a factor as well.

Basically I really don't know who's on the hook if and when the owner of that image walks by that shop and sees hundreds of people walking off with that painting. But something is obviously going to happen. Be nice if the world would finally settle in on a solid answer, but until then it seems nobody is interested in actually dealing with that quagmire.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

While I certainly laughed at it this, this is why the stipulation of ownership is a part of the EULA that players have to agree to.

If it wasn’t in there then they wouldn’t own it.

But even with it in there they maybe still don’t own it or maybe they do. That aspect is still very much in legal limbo and no one has tried to challenge it.

EULAs in general are a legal grey area in the US. Some aspects of them have been upheld by courts and other aspects weren’t. Some clauses in EULAs are inline with existing laws or precedents while other aspects literally go against US Federal Law. Not to mention whatever laws various States have. Some clauses are purposely vague and others are purposefully misleading. With other aspects running completely counter to how other products with user agreements are handled. Many EULAs state that they are not responsible if their software breaks your computer. However in most other areas of life this doesn’t work like that. ie: You buy a car part and the car part breaks your car you can sue the manufacturers and potentially even the people that sold you the part.

^ yeah pretty much this. I'm not sure Blizzard is actually legally allowed to do what they are doing, but at a minimum some kid making Warcraft maps in his basement probably doesn't know this.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I dont think it has been tested. Those pesky IP laws and their differences from common artistic goods.

• Options
    The kicker is that none of these companies want to be the first to actually have these things go to court. It is largely uncharted waters and there is a real possibility they could lose. Which would be quite bad for them.

At the same time the people they send C&Ds to or sue for obscene amounts of moment (only to offer a very, very generous settlement usually involving having to not pay money) are not in any real position to hire lawyers to fight it. And for those who maybe could, the potential personal damages if they lost are too great to risk trying.

There are advocacy groups out there and policy makers who are trying to set things right or at least actually make things not vague, but y’know how it is.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    The kicker is that none of these companies want to be the first to actually have these things go to court. It is largely uncharted waters and there is a real possibility they could lose. Which would be quite bad for them.

At the same time the people they send C&Ds to or sue for obscene amounts of moment (only to offer a very, very generous settlement usually involving having to not pay money) are not in any real position to hire lawyers to fight it. And for those who maybe could, the potential personal damages if they lost are too great to risk trying.

There are advocacy groups out there and policy makers who are trying to set things right or at least actually make things not vague, but y’know how it is.

Yeah, that's the real stupid part about the whole thing. Legal battles are expensive and most people legitimately would not even be able to fight it (especially considering I have to imagine a big company like Activision Blizzard has really good lawyers). Even a win means you're out a shitton of money in legal fees. It's really kind of a dumb system at times.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I wanted to say that Valve and Blizz put it to the test already, but they settled out of court.

It was at least sticky enough that they had to, which means Valve had enough of a right to the name that a court battle would have hurt them both. Which means IceFrog had enough of a right to the name when he sold it to them.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    The crazy thing is that even a win for these companies could be unwanted by them. A win could potentially clearly define what they can and cannot do. As things stand right now I’m pretty sure they prefer the vagueness because it gives them the flexibility to do whatever they want.

• Options
    Sure but with the shift of courts in the past 4 years getting authoritarian control is also a possibility.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    WC3's custom map maker provides a tremendous amount of additional value that you wouldn't get from making the game in Unity. You're using Blizzard's game assets, their online framework, their established playerbase, etc. I don't think it's super unreasonable that they own the commercial rights to it, it's only really meant to be used by hobbyists. If you think you've got a killer idea you're going to want to make money off of, you shouldn't be building it in the creation tools of another game.

Zek on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    WC3's custom map maker provides a tremendous amount of additional value that you wouldn't get from making the game in Unity. You're using Blizzard's game assets, Blizzard's online framework, Blizzard's established playerbase, etc. I don't think it's super unreasonable that they own the commercial rights to it, it's only really meant to be used by hobbyists. If you think you've got a killer idea you're going to want to make money off of, you shouldn't be building it in the creation tools of another game.

that is the exact opposite mindset of how these tools were created

modding and addons used to be a strategy to give a game more life, and more marketability

there are people who own and play WC3 only because custom maps exist, Blizzard already directly profits off the work of these custom maps without a piece of paper that grants ownership to them

they have a right to do it, it's just stupid, and also lazy, and nobody has to be okay with it

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Retracted I misread the response. But I would amend my statement that even if they were given to lengthen the games lifespan they were the focal point of the rise of the EULA usage for the in game assets. And so this is just a natural progression to this process for corporate companies in light of what happened to Blizz with prior big happenings.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (eff.org) comes to mind. If people remember, they fought on behalf of BnetD way back in 2003-2004, although they lost that battle to Blizzard.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    That was the mindset of the users. I would disagree it was the general mindset of the IP creators though.

If the tools weren't included to increase the life span of the game, why were they included?

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Yeah, I'd imagine a lot of the developers were very pro-modding since they're all likely big geeks too and would love to play some of the stuff the community comes up with. I mean, look at how overboard they went with the modding tools in the SC2 editor even in comparison to what WC3 allowed (edit: and I'm talking features Blizzard themselves didn't even use). I have no doubt that sort of thing is still true, but then, those aren't the people writing the EULAs...

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    That was the mindset of the users. I would disagree it was the general mindset of the IP creators though.

well, i guess that is technically a disprovable assertion, given that we can't go interview every single person who ever worked at Blizzard, but we do have the word of people like John Carmack, who were influential in the industry at the time WC3 was made, and he would tell you (and has, on the record) that is why these kinds of tools were made, and why he fought for them to be included in Id products well after Id was acquired by Bethesda (who are basically as ignorant as Activision)

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Ahh Carmak... if only he had actually progressed his influence rather than withdrawing into the background. And I amended my response.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'd imagine a lot of the developers were very pro-modding since they're all likely big geeks too and would love to play some of the stuff the community comes up with. I mean, look at how overboard they went with the modding tools in the SC2 editor even in comparison to what WC3 allowed (edit: and I'm talking features Blizzard themselves didn't even use). I have no doubt that sort of thing is still true, but then, those aren't the people writing the EULAs...

I think the disconnect here is that we're all thinking what the creators of the game and the IP in general would want for the assets and tools, but we're seeing what the owners of the IP and the game are doing, and, sadly, those aren't the same people.

I don't think that classic Blizzard would want to crack down on the creative user base or limit what they could do with the tools that they made available. But EA ActiBlizzard's shareholders? Yeah, put the tools out so you can harvest the labor of the creators to keep the game going, but make sure the print says that it's all yours just in case someone creates something valuable.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Huh, interesting... looking around it sounds like on top of this thing, WC3 Reforged is a buggy mess of a game and a lot of stuff like online ladder are broken now. How do you screw up an asset upgrade? o_O

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    It feels like Blizzard has been quietly trying to bury Reforged for a while now. I think people saw this coming.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I just think they realized that the game didnt need the resources that they were providing for it. The population interested was going to be limited to nostalgia tourists and some small others. Despite everything I am still looking forward to jumping in this weekend and playing through the story again. But that will be it. I am not going to do much online. And that population is going to settle back down to pre reforged numbers rather fast I think and what I think they finally accepted.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Warcraft 3 needed a real, modern, online system, for both ladder and custom games

it needed that

graphics was a bonus

they delivered (some) graphics, and they have promised to deliver the online at some arbitrary point in the future. i don't understand why they did things in the order that they did. it was clearly rushed out the door. the murmuring is that they decided to punt on online in December to make sure that the campaign wasn't buggy for their forced release date.

why was the release date forced?

well. this week is earnings week on wall street.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The state that WC3R shipped in has completed killed any enthusiam I might have for a potential D2 remake. If D2R is gonna look like this, don't bother.

• Options
    For me I just dont trust them to do a D2 remake really heh. Just my whole personal issues with what the franchise became.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    If the default isn't for game companies to own the mods made with their editors, then how is ownership assigned?

If you say that a user owns their mod once they make any change whatsoever, what stops the next person from making a tiny change to that mod and then claiming ownership over the new creation? The warning in a typical mod's text file doesn't seem any more bulletproof than a Eula.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    If the default isn't for game companies to own the mods made with their editors, then how is ownership assigned?

If you say that a user owns their mod once they make any change whatsoever, what stops the next person from making a tiny change to that mod and then claiming ownership over the new creation? The warning in a typical mod's text file doesn't seem any more bulletproof than a Eula.

Historically, law seems to have sided with mod-makers more often than not. Of course the developer of the game owns the rights to their assets, code, etc. but we wouldn't have Valve's Dota 2 if Blizzard owned DOTA just because it was made using their editor.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

Map-creating communities are actually pretty good about crucifying people who do this.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I think the D2 remake rumor probably came from Diablo 4, specifically that character select screen.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

Historically, law seems to have sided with mod-makers more often than not. Of course the developer of the game owns the rights to their assets, code, etc. but we wouldn't have Valve's Dota 2 if Blizzard owned DOTA just because it was made using their editor.

Well what you'd own is the specific version of the game you made in their custom tools.

Once you port all of that to another engine or what not, they wouldn't own it. I haven't read the EULA, but there 0 chance it says they'd own that version, and you cannot copyright game mechanics, EVER.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

Map-creating communities are actually pretty good about crucifying people who do this.

Which matters if you want to remain part of the community, but if someone sees an opportunity to steal the next Dota I feel like they won't care about being blacklisted from a forum.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    If people remember, Blizzard originally had planned to allow people to sell their custom maps in Starcraft 2, but I think difficulties such as stealing and such was too great and they gave it up.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    If you make a Harry Potter game using Mario Maker 2, who owns it? What if it becomes the most popular thing on the Mario Maker online thing? What if you then sell it to a third party yet, let's say it's Microsoft? Let's say Microsoft makes a new engine but copies all the mechanics and features you had done in Mario Maker, and sells it to a ton of people. Who get a cut and how much?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

Funny joke, but like many funny jokes it really does not accurately describe the situation at all, muddying or ignoring aspects for the sake of the joke.

It's more like buying a canvas from a store, painting a copyrighted image like a recent movie poster or something (possibly by actually photoshopping from the original poster), then sticking that painting in the display window of the shop with a "For free" sticker on it and walking away. ...I can't really think of a proper physical example to exemplify the fact that said painting is also now in infinite supply, but that's a factor as well.

Basically I really don't know who's on the hook if and when the owner of that image walks by that shop and sees hundreds of people walking off with that painting. But something is obviously going to happen. Be nice if the world would finally settle in on a solid answer, but until then it seems nobody is interested in actually dealing with that quagmire.

So if I build Warhammer miniatures and I use the paints they provide and I paint them in the way they are depicted on the box, my creation is their property? Can I no longer sell the Warhammer miniatures?

I think you're more harping on the "you can't use copyrighted stuff in the editor" which is understandable from a litigation standpoint (although still pretty grey in my opinion). My complaint is more the "we own whatever you make with the tools you purchased from us." I don't see how it should give them ownership of the next DOTA any more than Adobe should own whatever people make in Photoshop.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Photoshop and other software packages aren't great analogies because something made with Photoshop stands on its own.

a custom map made with Warcraft 3 always requires Warcraft 3 to run. It's much more tightly tied with the tool and Blizzard's game than a creation in Word or Photoshop or any other analogy that's been used.

This licensing agreement is Blizzard preventing a repeat of DotA.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'd say this definitely does prevent a repeat of someone making a cool new game out of their provided mod tools

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular

So if I build Warhammer miniatures and I use the paints they provide and I paint them in the way they are depicted on the box, my creation is their property? Can I no longer sell the Warhammer miniatures?

You probably couldn't claim to own their designs, which I think is what's more analogous here. You make up a color scheme and claim you invented your own Craftworld or Marine chapter. What's to stop the next guy from copying you and calling it their own? Angry forumers, apparently? On the face of it that doesn't sound like a ton of legal weight.

It seems to me that a company making a game has all kinds of contracts saying so-and-so will doing such-and-such work, and the end product belongs to the company. What contract or right of ownership does a mod creator have besides their own say-so? If Blizzard or Activision owns the mod then they can do some kind of gatekeeping. If the company sucks, then it could be bad. But without that I think mod creators have basically nothing. I don't think I understand the difference between making a mod under the onus that the game company owns your work, and making a mod with the understanding that anyone can steal it. I thought the big shiny carrot was that a company would see your work and hire you, but it seems like they could do that anyway.