As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blizzard to restore Classics: Diablo 2 Resurrected September 23rd!

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    https://youtu.be/mUs9T9Fo31Q

Oh yikes, apparently it's even worse than I was reading.. This mentions numerous crashes, huge performance issues and other problems. That's on top of multi-player not being there at all

This is the company that cancelled two very publically announced and anticipated games because they were not meeting their standards of quality.... Wtf happened to you Blizzard?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I've been playing the single player campaign with no issues, and i never intended to do any multiplayer to begin with. Ergo, it's fine.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i'm a bit into the campaign

tbh in some places the graphics are almost impressive. there is some good stuff in here

but the performance is pretty hit or miss, and there's some cutscene bugs, but it's still enjoyable to play

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    It feels like Blizzard has been quietly trying to bury Reforged for a while now. I think people saw this coming.

apparently they're patching non-reforged, original WC3/TFT to actually remove features so that it will be in parity with the Reforged version, too:

IMG_20200129_154612.jpg

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    all that stuff was known. they were pretty upfront that they were intending to kill the original client, including RoC and all legacy battlenet features

in the eyes of blizzard, this new client is a patch to the original game

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Orogogus wrote: »
    If the default isn't for game companies to own the mods made with their editors, then how is ownership assigned?

If you say that a user owns their mod once they make any change whatsoever, what stops the next person from making a tiny change to that mod and then claiming ownership over the new creation? The warning in a typical mod's text file doesn't seem any more bulletproof than a Eula.

Map-creating communities are actually pretty good about crucifying people who do this.

Which matters if you want to remain part of the community, but if someone sees an opportunity to steal the next Dota I feel like they won't care about being blacklisted from a forum.

It matters if you want your map to propagate at all, which is vital for it becoming the next Dota. The influence of said community does not end with banning someone from a forum. The player-base is actually super interested in knowing stuff like who the original creator of a map really is. "Unofficial" is a tag that gets used often, and players are derided for beating such a map or winning on such a map, especially when new "official" versions get released. It is something that the player-base will get seriously fired up about the second they hear about it, because it's a big part of their culture. Your map will suddenly not get played anymore and you'll find "official" versions from the OG creator that get played instead, and they might even be cribbing your ideas but nobody cares.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    all that stuff was known. they were pretty upfront that they were intending to kill the original client, including RoC and all legacy battlenet features

that is awful

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2020

that is awful

well, it would be less objectionable if they had finished the online before releasing the game

70% of the list is stuff that is coming back when they add online back to the game

the other 30% is just petty bitching. the hardcore WC3 bnet community in and of itself are.. some of the worst Gamer Opinions I've ever seen (there was a month-long saga during the beta about the exact size and position of the chat window and how this was FUNDAMENTAL to the fate of the game)

on paper, the game should be functionally identical if you never buy reforged and only have an original CD key... that is... when they actually finish building the game

Jasconius on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    My opinion: Reforged should never have been made to be compatible with people playing original.

Make them two separate games. Allow original WC3 to continue on as it has, and leave it there untouched as an option for people who want to play the original. This would keep the integrity of the original game while freeing up Reforged to expand in new ways and become something bigger and more modern.

Making Reforged to be compatible with original WC3 is just placing an arbitrary handicap on there that is holding back creativity and technological advance. The could do so much more with it now. And my own personal theory is that a lot of the scope that got cut and a lot of why they decided to scale back a lot of their grand plans that they pitched at Blizzcon 2018 is directly tied to the fact that they're trying so hard to make the two versions compatible that it has completely ruined their ability to "Reforge" the game into something modern.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Photoshop and other software packages aren't great analogies because something made with Photoshop stands on its own.

a custom map made with Warcraft 3 always requires Warcraft 3 to run. It's much more tightly tied with the tool and Blizzard's game than a creation in Word or Photoshop or any other analogy that's been used.

This licensing agreement is Blizzard preventing a repeat of DotA.

DOTA obviously doesn't need WC3 to run since it exists on it's own as do many clones. Game mechanics are also not copyrightable, so even if they do make something amazing, Blizzard could just rip it off and turn it right around with more polish and shine. They have probably 1000x the resources of anyone designing a game in their client.

If I invent a new Magic: the Gathering format does Wizards now own my format and ruleset? It also is tied in to Wizards property, maybe moreso than DOTA. Do they prevent my ability to make tournaments and profit off them? No, Wizards can co-opt it, as they did with EDH/Commander, but they don't own that shit. Which is a good thing! EDH is now arguably the most popular format and Wizards pivoted to designing for that crowd.

Blizzard would benefit from the next DOTA being on this platform because really how many copies are they going to sell of this game anyways? If they had taken a Wizards approach and leaned hard from it maybe they would own the DOTA client instead of Valve making all that money and Heroes of the Storm being a good but dying/dead game.

This is something we really only accept in digital venues for some reason.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    DOTA had to be rewritten and kept not only its mechanics, which no one is arguing belong to blizzard, but its recognizable branding. That is what blizzard would own under the new guidelines. "Come play DOTA standalone!" is a whole lot different than "come play XYZ from the makers of the map mod DOTA!". It is not only a progression for these corporate publishers, basically an attempt for discovery ownership type agreement they almost definitely have for employees, but its a direct result of the gash DOTA left on Blizz, as we know their fault as well because no one is arguing against that fact either.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Man, I was okay playing custom games in the beta but now I'm getting dc'd right after the maps loads. Very nostalgic form of disappointment.

All I want to do is play my tower defenses.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I really hope D2 remastered turns out better than this game is currently, though I still think Blizzard is going to patch reforged so it's playable again.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Honestly, if they want to make good with their customers on this game, they should issue a statement saying "We're sorry that the game launched in a state that was so disappointing to our community. We're going leave the game live as it is, but take it back into development to make it better. We cannot provide a timeframe for when this will be done, but we are dedicated to delivering a final product that is worthy of the Blizzard name."

Then they should make good on all their promises from 2018 and deliver a kickass Reforged game.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Honestly, if they want to make good with their customers on this game, they should issue a statement saying "We're sorry that the game launched in a state that was so disappointing to our community. We're going leave the game live as it is, but take it back into development to make it better. We cannot provide a timeframe for when this will be done, but we are dedicated to delivering a final product that is worthy of the Blizzard name."

Then they should make good on all their promises from 2018 and deliver a kickass Reforged game.

They have literally zero incentive to keep working on the game anymore. They've already got people's money, that's all that matters.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »

They have literally zero incentive to keep working on the game anymore. They've already got people's money, that's all that matters.

That depends. If they start getting hit with lawsuits about false advertising or whatever, they might. Or, and this one might be more of a stretch in 2020, maybe they actually care about their reputation.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

Their games continue to sell well past what anyone would expect. D2 was still a top seller 10 years after its release. There is still incentive to make this a saleable product.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I'd be kind of amazed if a lawsuit got off the ground based on the idea that Reforged sucks. Sometimes products are just bad products.

Don't get me wrong, it would be stupid of them to leave this game totally abandoned, because they can't really afford to lose their reputation as a game developer which releases games that function on a basic level. That's the only reason they're a business in the first place. Obviously other aspects of their reputation have become tarnished in recent years, and they can afford that, but there is a limit.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    The main reason I was interested in this game was the improved netcode. We've had fun (in the distant past) playing WC3 in small LAN groups, but whenever someone dropped due to a bug or lost connection or whatever (which was usually the fault of the netcode and not the actual network) we lost them from the game completely, which wasn't fun. Updating the netcode to allow for re-joining, and more stable connections is the primary draw for us.

Sounds like we're going to skip this until it settles down a bit.

26904.png
  • Options

I suppose it depends on how much Blizzard is still Blizzard. Old Blizzard would absolutely have already done this. Granted, they wouldn't have released in this state to begin with... The incentive is reputation, though they've been dragging that through the mud for the past year or two now... I guess it's a matter of if new Blizzard decides to cut their losses and split and hope the whole thing blows over or not. (Aka "We're sorry about Blitzchung, but here's Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2!!!!!!")

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    If the default isn't for game companies to own the mods made with their editors, then how is ownership assigned?

If you say that a user owns their mod once they make any change whatsoever, what stops the next person from making a tiny change to that mod and then claiming ownership over the new creation? The warning in a typical mod's text file doesn't seem any more bulletproof than a Eula.

A custom map would be considered a derivative product, owned by both the creator and the owner of the original assets used. Without that assignment language, that would be the legal ownership structure.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I'm kinda surprised that WC3 Reforged is such a hugely not-good product, especially considering the success they had with Starcraft HD, which managed to even support custom maps on launch day... That said, I haven't been following WC3 Reforged at all, so I need to read up on what it was trying to achieve in the first place.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    l_g wrote: »
    I'm kinda surprised that WC3 Reforged is such a hugely not-good product, especially considering the success they had with Starcraft HD, which managed to even support custom maps on launch day... That said, I haven't been following WC3 Reforged at all, so I need to read up on what it was trying to achieve in the first place.

They were trying to achieve quite a bit. More than people initially expected when it was announced. When first announced people figured it’d be like SC HD, but Blizz was all, “Nah man, we’re going bigger!”

Improved graphics, better cutscenes, some added and redone voice work, a splash of retconning. Among general bug fixes, UI improvements, net code improvements and the like.

This has not come to pass.

What’s kinda even worse is they’ve retroactively patched the original to be in line with Regorged’s multiplayer. So now most of the features the original version had are gone. Automated tournaments, clans, profiles, competitive ladder and apparently much more is gone.

I expect we’ll see a NoClip documentary about how it all went wrong some day.

Edit- I’m not even upset about this. I’m mostly just surprised. I mean I’ve gotten used to AAA releases being unfinished and buggy and kicked out the door to meet quarterly profits. However this was just a remaster of a 18 year-ish old game. As beloved as it was it was never going to be a smashing success that would impress investors. There seemed little reason to me for them to send it out in such an abysmal state.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Honestly there was stuff they promised I'm quite glad got dropped, like the redone voicework and retconning stuff, but all in all it's annoying to me that they promised so much and failed to deliver on a lot of it. I'm actually pretty happy with what we have, for the campaign at least, so far. It's a bit buggy and poorly optimized, a bit shockingly so, for my tastes but otherwise it's alright. The two big things to me are 1. They fucked up the multiplayer, and retroactively removed shit. If they weren't ready to bring their rework up to the standards of a game from 2002 (admittedly with a lots of QOL improvements since then, but still) they should have held off until they could. Or said ahead of time they were going to delay the multiplayer implementation and just release the singleplayer. It would have annoyed people a lot I'm sure but saying that it wasn't ready ahead of time and giving it more work would have saved them a lot of grief, I feel. And 2. on the subject of saving themselves grief, they didn't need to promise half that shit they promised. I mean they could still have started working on it, but ideally they should have moderately lowballed the pitch, then if they felt they couldn't deliver on some of the more ambitious stuff they had planned, they could drop it and no one would know or care, meanwhile anything they did above and beyond what they promised would be gravy and they'd get brownie points for it after the fact.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Honestly to me it's kind of a weird double wammy of failing to deliver on a bunch of promises, but then also delivering a buggy experience missing core features of the base game. I was interested in all the apparent changes they wanted to do - that sounded cool. But if they couldn't deliver on that (and I get it, sometimes things don't work out), they should have at least delivered a polished graphical overhaul of the original (ala SC Remastered). The fact that they failed to do both is kind of... yikes...

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular

They don't have my money anymore. I asked for a refund and got it the next day. There's even a post on reddit which is basically titled "how to get a refund on reforged". They shouldn't have put out an unfinished product. It's getting some seriously negative press. Not quite battlefront 2 launch bad, but i havent seen a good review for it yet either. I've also uninstalled WoW. Basically if D4 isn't amazing i won't have any reason to even have BNET installed either because i dont play overwatch,hearthstone, or HotS anymore. I dabble with starcraft 2 but company of heroes 2 is a better game that i play more. They have every reason to try to keep putting money into things, because i dont think im the only person leaving BNET.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Honestly there was stuff they promised I'm quite glad got dropped, like the redone voicework and retconning stuff, but all in all it's annoying to me that they promised so much and failed to deliver on a lot of it. I'm actually pretty happy with what we have, for the campaign at least, so far. It's a bit buggy and poorly optimized, a bit shockingly so, for my tastes but otherwise it's alright. The two big things to me are 1. They fucked up the multiplayer, and retroactively removed shit. If they weren't ready to bring their rework up to the standards of a game from 2002 (admittedly with a lots of QOL improvements since then, but still) they should have held off until they could. Or said ahead of time they were going to delay the multiplayer implementation and just release the singleplayer. It would have annoyed people a lot I'm sure but saying that it wasn't ready ahead of time and giving it more work would have saved them a lot of grief, I feel. And 2. on the subject of saving themselves grief, they didn't need to promise half that shit they promised. I mean they could still have started working on it, but ideally they should have moderately lowballed the pitch, then if they felt they couldn't deliver on some of the more ambitious stuff they had planned, they could drop it and no one would know or care, meanwhile anything they did above and beyond what they promised would be gravy and they'd get brownie points for it after the fact.

Over the decade-plus since the game has released, it's certainly the case that all the user-generated stuff for it has probably as much value as the original game itself (or more, if you count DOTA), and making sure all that stuff works is probably a greater value to the people who would be interested in buying it than all the fluff. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if "fixing" pathfinding results in the breaking of hundreds of tower defense maps.

I think certainly being able to reconnect to games, find and join games hosted by friends/specific players, and filter custom games by map are the three major quality of life updates that the game could definitely use.

I do think re-doing cutscenes for TFT would be nice, because a bunch of the ones that weren't straight up done with units running around on the map looked kinda lame compared to the pre-rendered ones that were in RoC. But that's like.... far behind those other three plus custom maps working properly.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    huh yeah, just realized the only bnet game i still have installed is hearthstone, and i don't play it anymore. might as well just uninstall the whole thing, no skin off my back

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I'd be kind of amazed if a lawsuit got off the ground based on the idea that Reforged sucks. Sometimes products are just bad products.

Gamers as a community seem to have this weird obsession with calling for lawsuits at every opportunity. I really don't know where it comes from.

If every bad product in the world was the basis for a lawsuit the courts would never have time for anything else.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular

Gamers as a community seem to have this weird obsession with calling for lawsuits at every opportunity. I really don't know where it comes from.

If every bad product in the world was the basis for a lawsuit the courts would never have time for anything else.

Im pretty sure it stems from being lied to and exploited by shady tech companies so consistently. Even just reforged they didnt deliver on a few advertised points. They pushed it back a month for “polish” and released a shittier version of a 20 year old game.

If some car manufacturer sold cars that only work sometimes after advertising that its a suped up version of *insert beloved car here*, there would be class action lawsuits for shady business practices and exploitation. This isnt much different than what gamers go through with most AAA releases these days. Blizzard in particular has just been shitting the bed all over the last couple years.

• Options
    giving credit where credit is due, I did very much enjoy what I believe is a tweaked silvermoon/sunwell invasion map

that was a fun mission

but goddamn is undead so fucking weird/bad without the TFT mechanics

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »

Im pretty sure it stems from being lied to and exploited by shady tech companies so consistently. Even just reforged they didnt deliver on a few advertised points. They pushed it back a month for “polish” and released a shittier version of a 20 year old game.

If some car manufacturer sold cars that only work sometimes after advertising that its a suped up version of *insert beloved car here*, there would be class action lawsuits for shady business practices and exploitation. This isnt much different than what gamers go through with most AAA releases these days. Blizzard in particular has just been shitting the bed all over the last couple years.

I was about to say that WC3 was not released in the mid90s.

Now I am sad.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    giving credit where credit is due, I did very much enjoy what I believe is a tweaked silvermoon/sunwell invasion map

that was a fun mission

What TFT mechanics? New heroes?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »

that was a fun mission

What TFT mechanics? New heroes?

maybe the wrong word. the things they added in TFT are really important to the undead gameplan

statues are essential. orb of corruption is essential. destroyers are sorely missed.

in RoC, undead is just.... blahhhhhhhh, at least for single player where you are the aggressor 100% of the time

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Now I am sad.

I... I'm confused.

WC3 wasn't released in the mid90s. I mean WC2 was but WC3 wasn't until the early 2000s.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Now I am sad.

I... I'm confused.

WC3 wasn't released in the mid90s. I mean WC2 was but WC3 wasn't until the early 2000s.

The ravages of time doom us all. It should be illegal for 2000 to be 20 years ago.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    It pains me that this rerelease is so bad. I have such fond memories of playing the shit out of this game in high school and being so proud as you earned the better portraits in ranked. Replaying the campaign endlessly, especially the Horde section in TFT.

It's funny that nothing has really captured that same feeling. I played the shit out of SC2 ranked in WoL and HotS, but the campaign never grabbed me in the same way and I never loved it as much. Maybe it was just the fun colors and art style of Warcraft.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I'm actually enjoying the Campaign, and I'm liking some of the new models and small QOL additions that add to, but do not significantly alter, the feel of the campaign.

I'd enjoy it more if it didn't freeze every 10 minutes.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/mUs9T9Fo31Q

Oh yikes, apparently it's even worse than I was reading.. This mentions numerous crashes, huge performance issues and other problems. That's on top of multi-player not being there at all

This is the company that cancelled two very publically announced and anticipated games because they were not meeting their standards of quality.... Wtf happened to you Blizzard?

Activision-Blizzard.

• Options
    i like what Blizzard's vision for this game was and is supposed to be. on paper the decisions they made 18 months ago were correct. unified client, updated bnet, graphics options, replay interoperability, etc. all ambitious goals that serve a lot of needs, almost literally trying to please everyone

i still think the game will end up in that place, eventually (maybe this year? hopefully?)

100% of my frustration is that this company which we understand is extremely rich and resourceful chose not to apply any of its weight to the product

and what was supposed to be WC3's big final act that gave the game another 10 years of life is instead just lame... in an era where release hype and exposure is basically everything in marketing now