Options

[Agents of SHIELD] S4E16 - What if... this thread reached 100 pages?

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    So I'm way behind, but holy shit this Ghost Rider stuff is bad. Like real bad.

what makes you say that

they've kept the angst to a minimum

his first appearance was hilariously goofy, i will say

but i still feel a thrill every time his hand comes from off screen to grab someone incorporeal and they go WHAT ARE YOU

i mean it would be great if he said "I'm a relic of 90s grimdark comic aesthetics" and then drove a motorcycle up a building but what can you do

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    I cant imagine any other way they could make Ghost Rider cooler. His transformations have been on point and a little surprising with how high quality they are given a TV budget.

I can. Moar Spikes and a Motorcycle.

Its a fair point. But that car chase was pretty great last week.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    I cant imagine any other way they could make Ghost Rider cooler. His transformations have been on point and a little surprising with how high quality they are given a TV budget.

I can. Moar Spikes and a Motorcycle.

Its a fair point. But that car chase was pretty great last week.

Sure it was. But that was a chase between Coulson w/ Lola and what could be any Streetracer w/ Black Muscle Car. It's not like the Rider showed up to that one.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I feel like everyone else in the thread has been praising it so far.

You're the first I've seen saying this!

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Is anyone else kind of annoyed that the Darkhold, the ancient tome of ineffable evil, just says "Darkhold" on the cover in plain English?

Ever since I noticed it I can't unsee it, and now it just looks like something a teenager doodled up in his most darkest death metal font. Every time it shows up on screen I want to throw up horns.

It's also an ambigram. You can read it from either direction. So you're definitely not wrong on that front.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Is anyone else kind of annoyed that the Darkhold, the ancient tome of ineffable evil, just says "Darkhold" on the cover in plain English?

Ever since I noticed it I can't unsee it, and now it just looks like something a teenager doodled up in his most darkest death metal font. Every time it shows up on screen I want to throw up horns.

It's also an ambigram. You can read it from either direction. So you're definitely not wrong on that front.

woah, I did not notice this. That's a cool detail! :D

also, I wonder if they'll ever show Robbie transforming back to a regular human. 'meat burns off skull' is great one way, but how the hell do you show the reverse of that?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

woah, I did not notice this. That's a cool detail! :D
    Yup!

Mcguffin in the spoilers
    HzId1v3.png?2
    WICkvan.png?2

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Okay, that makes it cooler.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I posted that several hours ago but no one cared because i didn't have screenshots and couldn't remember the fancy word.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    recently been watching a 2013 Scottish rom com by the name of Not Another Happy Ending and I have to say Ian De Caestecker showed an early penchant for subterfuge and deception.

from that movie alone you can tell he was destined to be SHIELD's superspy.

I don't know why people keep wishing for Idris Elba as Bond when the answer is so obvious, back to them Scottish roots I say. he even moves like a panther....

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    I in no way want to promote that movie btw, it was shite.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    Though i sort of agree about Daisy, you cant really blame the character for feeling pretty well messed up. She first finds out that the guy she is falling for is a super spy agent of Hydra who then has stalker issues and proceeds to mess tons of stuff up for her AND her friends. Meets her parents finally, then finds out her dad is a monster, and her mom is worse. Gets in a fight with them, watches her dad kill her mom, then brainwashes said dad in to being a doggy doc.
    After that she gets minds controlled into messing a whole bunch of stuff up and trying to kill her friends, and AFTER the mind control hold is broken she CHOOSES to go back and proceeds to almost kill her friends again and in the process has to watch ANOTHER guy she is falling for run off to be a hero and die with the first guy she was falling for who turned out to be hydra who turned out to be an alien that mind controlled her.

I mean, as viewers we get the whole picture, but the character of Daisy is understandably cautious about hanging out with a bunch of folks she just tried to kill "accidently" and then on purpose only a few months ago.

I think it makes perfect sense that she's really messed up from everything she's been through. The problem is the execution on the show. They're not dealing with it in any kind of interesting way, it's just very surface level and kind of cheap and annoying.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

what makes you say that

they've kept the angst to a minimum

his first appearance was hilariously goofy, i will say

but i still feel a thrill every time his hand comes from off screen to grab someone incorporeal and they go WHAT ARE YOU

i mean it would be great if he said "I'm a relic of 90s grimdark comic aesthetics" and then drove a motorcycle up a building but what can you do

Ghost Rider was originally a relic of 70s motorcycle supernatural horror aesthetics!

That was the ghost rider who killed people and hung out with Jesus!

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    I feel like we're ramping up to an LMD of Simmons...

That might have made for an interesting wrinkle in the lie detector arc. They whip up a Simmons LMD that's designed to pass lie detector tests and/or doesn't possess any knowledge that could get her in trouble.

I guess they could still go that route down the road.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    RE Robbie:
    comics Robbie keeps the crazy serial killer ghost placated by killing people, and Robbie elects to only kill people who deserve it. Robbie tried to not kill anyone for a while and it caused the serial killer to take control and literally abandon Robbie's brother
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Look, something just happened to the Darkhold when some kid got a hold of it during the 90s. We just don't talk about it.

It's actually Voldemort's Trapper Keeper

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DedmanWalkinDedmanWalkin Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    They should play up the Inhumans are an alien weapons experiment part of their origin. It is both a superior origin and a reasonable explanation for why people fear them.

It sure beats the Mutants are the next stage of evolution that the Xmen got going on, BECAUSE EVOLUTION DOESN'T HAVE STAGES GODDAMMIT.

Also I must have missed the part where evolutionary pressures makes shooting Fricking Laserbeams out of your eyes is a survival trait.

That is not Cyclops' power though. The limitation on eyes is a psychological limitation not an actual limitation. His actual power is to open portals to a dimension that contains near limitless energy that he can manipulate. If he had full access to his power, he would be much more powerful.

It is my head canon that X-Gene mutation was because the Phoenix Force needed an avatar that could handle it. Before the Shi' Ar had become advanced enough to fight it, the Phoenix set humanity down the path to become its next vessel.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    In the comics, most human superpowers are basically caused by the Celestials messing with human DNA a long, long time ago, leaving the potential for superpowers in the genome. Sometimes this is accessed through outside influences (radiation exposure, genetic manipulation) but it can also be accessed via the X-Gene.

The evolution isn't "hey I can shoot laser eyes now" it's "hey I can access this incredible power lurking in my genetic code."

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    They should play up the Inhumans are an alien weapons experiment part of their origin. It is both a superior origin and a reasonable explanation for why people fear them.

It sure beats the Mutants are the next stage of evolution that the Xmen got going on, BECAUSE EVOLUTION DOESN'T HAVE STAGES GODDAMMIT.

Also I must have missed the part where evolutionary pressures makes shooting Fricking Laserbeams out of your eyes is a survival trait.

That is not Cyclops' power though. The limitation on eyes is a psychological limitation not an actual limitation. His actual power is to open portals to a dimension that contains near limitless energy that he can manipulate. If he had full access to his power, he would be much more powerful.

It is my head canon that X-Gene mutation was because the Phoenix Force needed an avatar that could handle it. Before the Shi' Ar had become advanced enough to fight it, the Phoenix set humanity down the path to become its next vessel.
    Didn't Whedon kind of touch on this on his run in Astonishing X-Men?

We got Cyke taking his visor off and fucking up a group of Sentinels, then he lost his power because Emma messed with his head. I think at the end he figured out how to re-activate it without the visor keeping him in check.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DedmanWalkinDedmanWalkin Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Didn't Whedon kind of touch on this on his run in Astonishing X-Men?

We got Cyke taking his visor off and fucking up a group of Sentinels, then he lost his power because Emma messed with his head. I think at the end he figured out how to re-activate it without the visor keeping him in check.

In Ultimate X-Men, we get to see what Cyclops could be if he were ever to get passed the psychological limits on his power.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Well I mean there's no way this midseason ends any other way than a reveal that SOMEONE is secretly an LMD. Like Fitz kisses Simmons goodnight, and she says something right as he closes his eyes that he told Aida and nobody else.

Then again, this show has pretty consistently zagged when I call a zig, so I suppose maybe it won't happen.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    The shady SHIELD director kills his political opponent and replaces her with an LMD?

• Options
    Speaking of Mace
    his shady secret being... he's not Inhuman, right? Gonna be one of a dozen other varieties of super person, but he's pretending to specifically be an Inhuman for political reasons, which could turn against him pretty bad.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Speaking of Mace
    his shady secret being... he's not Inhuman, right? Gonna be one of a dozen other varieties of super person, but he's pretending to specifically be an Inhuman for political reasons, which could turn against him pretty bad.
    Simmon's referenced Vienna when she confronted him, so i'm guessing the he didn't actually perform what ever act of heroism shot him to fame.

• Options
    Oh snap. Yeah that'll do it. D:
    who lies about stuff like that? Like "The Woman Who Wasn't There" for 9/11, there's something super gross about pretending to be part of a tragedy...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Mace

Longshot prediction I have no evidence for:
    He's actually Kree, and he's infiltrated SHIELD to retrieve the Sokovia files on Inhumans so he can destroy them.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Speaking of Mace

Longshot prediction I have no evidence for:
    He's actually Kree, and he's infiltrated SHIELD to retrieve the Sokovia files on Inhumans so he can destroy them.
    Skrull! SECRET INVASION!

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Most likely that whatever went down, he didn't actively try to get credit for it and it might have been assigned to him without his really wanting it. And now that it's gone on for this long, he's stuck with it.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    "You wanna know what really happened in Vienna? Fine."

(cue tale of harrowing, PTSD-inducing events that no doubt play out behind his eyelids eight nights out of ten)
    (by the end of it, half the people listening look like they want a stiff drink and/or a basket to hurl in)
    By season's end, some or all of it will be revealed to be completely false.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Most likely that whatever went down, he didn't actively try to get credit for it and it might have been assigned to him without his really wanting it. And now that it's gone on for this long, he's stuck with it.

Jeffrey Mace: HERO OF THE IMPERIUM

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Watching Talking Dead. Seeing Chloe geeking out about Walking Dead is so dang cute.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Watching Talking Dead. Seeing Chloe geeking out about Walking Dead is so dang cute.

Her boyfriend is Spencer.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

I feel like everyone else in the thread has been praising it so far.

You're the first I've seen saying this!

Like I said, I think I'm near the end of Episode 2 and all its been so far is him and Daisy trying to see who can be more angsty while giving minimum effort. I hope it gets better?

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »

Her boyfriend is Spencer.

Is he for hire?

• Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    That is not Cyclops' power though. The limitation on eyes is a psychological limitation not an actual limitation. His actual power is to open portals to a dimension that contains near limitless energy that he can manipulate.

sorry to go back to this, but is that really cyclops' power?

that's just... absurd. even in the context of people controlling the weather and teleporting and all this other weird shit, that one is just on a level of it's own i think.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Ketherial wrote: »
    That is not Cyclops' power though. The limitation on eyes is a psychological limitation not an actual limitation. His actual power is to open portals to a dimension that contains near limitless energy that he can manipulate.

sorry to go back to this, but is that really cyclops' power?

that's just... absurd. even in the context of people controlling the weather and teleporting and all this other weird shit, that one is just on a level of it's own i think.

The whole 'punch dimension' thing was only (afaik) in one of those Marvel guide book things. In universe the last I remember is that all the Summers brothers channel some form of cosmic radiation and can output it differently. Scott has concussive blasts from solar radiation, Alex uses plasma or something along those lines. Vulcan is some bullshit Ed Brubaker made to have somebody who could go toe to toe with Gladiator and Blackbolt so can manipulate all forms of energy.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    The punch dimension must have been created as a part of a promotional tie in between Marvel and Kool Aid.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Punch dimension is a Gruenwald thing. Gruenwald was really hard to fit existing physics into the explanation for superpowers and Cyclops eyebeams do not generate heat only kinetic energy, which would make it different from any known form of energy. The comics themselves never went that much into detail apart from "kinetic energy, no heat, blocked by ruby quartz for .. reasons).

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Oh shit. I'm thinking HALO drop in the Charger.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    They seem to be playing loose with the transformation to Ghost Rider, and whether they can be controlled.

THough
    Nice to see Old School Ghost Rider

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    They seem to be playing loose with the transformation to Ghost Rider, and whether they can be controlled.

THough
    Nice to see Old School Ghost Rider
    I wonder if there was any thought or attempt to get Nicholas Cage for a quick cameo

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
This discussion has been closed.