Options

[Heroes of the Storm] There is no new hero, ONLY XUL.

• Options
    SupagoatSupagoat Registered User regular
    The 30s really seemed to be the worst to me. Maybe because it's on the cusp of where people are good so you'll sometimes get teams that gel and play well, and sometimes your team might as well be composed of chickens with their heads cut off and there's not a thing you can do to salvage it. It was in HR 30s that I was complaining about being in MMR hell.

And then a couple weeks ago I grouped with @Inquisitor77 for a HL match and it turns out he's in the 30s and our team was worthless and it validated that my observations were completely correct and it wasn't just present time bias that I was feeling at the time.

See if someone of better rank will group with you, and try to power on through it and play your best. I found that I could have the biggest impact on the team playing as a warrior because I could dissuade people from entering into stupid pointless outnumbered battles somewhat better that way.

bnet: Supagoat#1884
    Switch: 6589-6405-3399
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Are we maybe expecting Xul next week? That would be cool

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    That'll mark week 3 from Li Ming, so next week or the week after is a good guess.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Probably March 1st, that's when Lunar New Year thing is over

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »

It's going to be March 1st, only because the Spring Regionals are happening on the 27th/28th. There's no way they're gonna put out a new patch and fuck with the meta right before a big tournament.

Otherwise yeah, it's possible we may have seen him coming earlier.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    ForceVoid wrote: »

It's going to be March 1st, only because the Spring Regionals are happening on the 27th/28th. There's no way they're gonna put out a new patch and fuck with the meta right before a big tournament.

Otherwise yeah, it's possible we may have seen him coming earlier.

Well, generally new heroes are banned from tournaments if they came out too soon to the event. But Ya two weeks from now prob..

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It's more likely it's March 1st because Xul isn't in the files yet so they will need to deploy a patch for him.

Which they likely won't do right before the tournament and also since they are taking Lunar Fest down with a patch then anyway, they are likely just gonna roll the two together into the same thing.

I'm wondering what's after Xul personally. Me want more info!

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    It's more likely it's March 1st because Xul isn't in the files yet so they will need to deploy a patch for him.

Which they likely won't do right before the tournament and also since they are taking Lunar Fest down with a patch then anyway, they are likely just gonna roll the two together into the same thing.

I'm wondering what's after Xul personally. Me want more info!

They were pretty quick to tell us about Li-Ming and Xul after Greymane. I suspect you'll get your info soon.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Dibby I played two Zeebo matches and they were both garbage blowouts with nasty teammates and I'm blaming youuuuuu

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I really hope they have a skin where Xul has a red robe, frizzy hair, glowing red eyes and a bag of marshmallows.

Edit: incorrect lore mistake!

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Supagoat wrote: »
    The 30s really seemed to be the worst to me. Maybe because it's on the cusp of where people are good so you'll sometimes get teams that gel and play well, and sometimes your team might as well be composed of chickens with their heads cut off and there's not a thing you can do to salvage it. It was in HR 30s that I was complaining about being in MMR hell.

And then a couple weeks ago I grouped with @Inquisitor77 for a HL match and it turns out he's in the 30s and our team was worthless and it validated that my observations were completely correct and it wasn't just present time bias that I was feeling at the time.

See if someone of better rank will group with you, and try to power on through it and play your best. I found that I could have the biggest impact on the team playing as a warrior because I could dissuade people from entering into stupid pointless outnumbered battles somewhat better that way.

This was probably a few months ago. I rarely play HL matches, because of the above problem.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Dibby I played two Zeebo matches and they were both garbage blowouts with nasty teammates and I'm blaming youuuuuu

WHAT NO

WHY IS IT MY FAULT

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    I really hope they have a skin where Xul has a red robe, frizzy hair, glowing red eyes and a bag of marshmallows.

Did you apply all the toads?

If you didn't, it's your own fault.

• Options

WHAT NO

WHY IS IT MY FAULT

All talking up zeebo but somehow I couldnt carry my teams with him. Dibby plz

• Options
    also can you share your method to record/gif pieces of replays? I just had a team do a hilarious 2v4 boss steal it was amazing, but my OBS quality is shit and idk how to make it into a gif anyway

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Step #1: Cut a hole in a box

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Did you apply all the toads?

If you didn't, it's your own fault.

I did gib a low health LiMing with a couple fat toads tonight

That was satisfying

WATCH OUT FOR THE TOADS LADY

• Options
    edited February 2016
    also can you share your method to record/gif pieces of replays? I just had a team do a hilarious 2v4 boss steal it was amazing, but my OBS quality is shit and idk how to make it into a gif anyway

No, it's a secret!!!!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/42mpgy/udderly_perfect/czbjbsn

The program itself is like, ridiculously easy to use. Have funnn.

Oh shit that reminds me too, I gotta see if I can't find that replay where I did a Reverse Washing Machine...

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Greymane is really fun.
    First game with him. Look at those even hero damages! (also second death was murky octo-ing me under core as we won)
    adeuEtP.jpg?1

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    So I picked up a G105 KB for my new rig and for some reason I'm only having trouble with HOTS.

The programmable G key next to my tab keeps fooling my hands. When I go for Q I end up bringing up the score screen, W does Q, etc.

I really like this KB tho. So posh.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Piggy Bank mount coming back next week

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Can I buy it twice?

CAN I STAND ON TWO PIGS WHILE CHARGING INTO BATTLE???!?!?!!

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    Can I buy it twice?

Petition to allow Cho'gall to wear piggy bank mounts as shoes.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    Can I buy it twice?

Yes, but you have to do it like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7FIvfx5J10

• Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    Played a game of QM as Nazeebo today. Doorbell goes off and I have to afk for a minute, ends up taking like five minutes total. I come back, we've gone up five levels, we're behind, I rejoin and apologize, we end up losing. I check the score screen. I have basically double the numbers of everyone else... so either the AI has gotten way better or my teammates that game were still learning, both are fine, just thought it was kind of funny.

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I remember one time dcing as Nazeebo and having a similar thing happen. Dude was wreaking faces while i was gone.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Played a game of QM as Nazeebo today. Doorbell goes off and I have to afk for a minute, ends up taking like five minutes total. I come back, we've gone up five levels, we're behind, I rejoin and apologize, we end up losing. I check the score screen. I have basically double the numbers of everyone else... so either the AI has gotten way better or my teammates that game were still learning, both are fine, just thought it was kind of funny.

Yeah Nazeebo is totally E Z Mode right now. All you gotta do is queue with him and you win all your games.

>.>

<.<

>.>

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Oh wow, I uploaded all my replays just now and holy shit I am bad at HotS you guys

http://www.hotslogs.com/Player/Profile?PlayerID=6846515

Like, looking at that I have no idea how to start getting better :(

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Oh wow, I uploaded all my replays just now and holy shit I am bad at HotS you guys

I'm guessing it's harder for you to find groups because you're in EU? I learned a massive amount about the game early on by always playing in groups with more experienced PAers, as well as just knowing a lot about general MOBA stuff from studying (but not actually playing) DotA. If you can find some more peeps to group up with that'd probably be a good start (I think Echo plays in EU? there's got to be others...)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Depending on how fundamental the sort of advice you're looking is, the tutorial videos and laning tips in the first post of this thread may be a good place to start. If this is your first MOBA, you may actually be at an advantage. HotS was my foray into the genre, but I understand it's enough of its own game to throw people off if they're transitioning from perhaps more convoluted MOBAs than it.

Beyond the tips in the first post, the best thing I can add might be that it's better to be wrong as a group than right as an individual. If one or two players are doing too much of their own thing at key points in the game, such as objectives and rushes, their team is at a disadvantage if they encounter their enemy, particularly if the other team is together. Be aware of the map, always, and know when it's safe to splinter, especially after one team has their Heroics.

Try different characters, and take advantage of their free weeks. There might be someone you don't necessarily expect to click with you, but does -- and you find a character or two or some that really work for you, the game just gets better. When trying a new character, look at talent builds. Better, examine them. You don't necessarily need to copy them; experimenting can be fun and rewarding. It can be helpful, though, to know what's popular, and why they're popular, and to gain insight on synergies you may have overlooked.

Tim is on the Internet on
  • Options
    Additionally, I finally hopped aboard the HotSLogs train.

hotslogs.com/Player/Profile?PlayerID=4996891

• Options
    edited February 2016

I'm guessing it's harder for you to find groups because you're in EU? I learned a massive amount about the game early on by always playing in groups with more experienced PAers, as well as just knowing a lot about general MOBA stuff from studying (but not actually playing) DotA. If you can find some more peeps to group up with that'd probably be a good start (I think Echo plays in EU? there's got to be others...)

Doesn't @Bobkins Flymo play in Europe? Or am I getting him mixed up with someone else?

Honestly the biggest thing that separates basic competence from just plain terrible play is knowing when to engage and map awareness. Those two things really just come with familiarity and time. Especially if you're unfamiliar with how many of the heroes actually work, it can be hard to know what a "safe" distance is, and this is only exacerbated in team fights when lots of shit is flying everywhere.

At this point, you've played ~150-200 games, which may feel like a lot, but probably is not enough across a wide enough hero pool to really get a good feel for that kind of thing, especially if you are new to MOBAs in general. HotS is the only MOBA I've ever played, and it took me quite a long time to get familiar with some of the mechanics that a lot of other players took for granted when they came over from LoL and DotA(2).

The good news is, the hero you play the most, Tyrande, is also the one you have the highest (significant) winning percentage with. This indicates that your problem is likely just experience with the other heroes. I bet the closer you get to 50 games with each, the higher you'll see their respective win rates climb. Otherwise, you're constantly being pulled down whenever you swap into a new hero and have to learn how to play it.

This is a common problem, honestly. It's why a lot of people argue that, for QM at least, Blizzard should be implementing MMR on a per-hero basis, because even if you're the best Muradin player on the planet, there's almost no chance that you will have a similar skill level with TLV, especially if it's the first time you've ever played them. It's also why people say that if you're going to do the Hero League grind, you should be focusing on a handful of heroes and only playing those.

Really, all that matters is whether or not you're having fun. Everything else is just noise.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    Bobkins plays in NA (Rorus is his tag, I've played with him sometimes), I think you're getting confused because him and Echo are both mods. Also I'm not 100% Bobkins is still playing HotS after the whole matchmaker debacle.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Really good games tonight with @So It Goes @WingedWeasel and @Fry! My favorite was the one on Garden of Terror.

CboZiobW0AEWERW.jpg

Look at our Abby. Look at our goddamn golden god of an Abathur. He did pilot all the Garden Terrors, so keep that in mind, but still. He was always pushing, always creating map pressure, forcing the enemy team to respond.

That was a really fun one though. Teamfights were just CRAZY. I'd leap the fuck in there, pop combo, pop Maelstrom, and let it rip. This mostly worked out. MOSTLY. I did end up dying a lot. But I'd usually bring down 2 or 3 dudes with me in the process.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    I think I'm finally starting to get Johanna

It seems that Doing It Right is when you end up at like, 1 HP in a fight, and STILL do not die, and your squishy tanks either escape or murder a dude because of it. You are there to stun & slow people, to be a lot of hit points, and to basically be like "No. No, do not fucking do the thing."

She is pretty good against LiMing when she takes Spell Shield in that way. LiMing tries to pelt her from a distance and Jo is like "blessed shield condemn STOP THAT STOP THAT STOP THAT LIMING"

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Really good games tonight with @So It Goes @WingedWeasel and @Fry! My favorite was the one on Garden of Terror.

CboZiobW0AEWERW.jpg

Look at our Abby. Look at our goddamn golden god of an Abathur. He did pilot all the Garden Terrors, so keep that in mind, but still. He was always pushing, always creating map pressure, forcing the enemy team to respond.

That was a really fun one though. Teamfights were just CRAZY. I'd leap the fuck in there, pop combo, pop Maelstrom, and let it rip. This mostly worked out. MOSTLY. I did end up dying a lot. But I'd usually bring down 2 or 3 dudes with me in the process.

0 kills, didn't even break 100k healing, that was a failgame for me :P

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Ugh when there's 2 nova and the game and you get the bad one. Ours had the lowest hero damage of all the team.

It was cursed hollow. We had a good kill lead for most of the game yet they were pushing us like crazy, mostly thanks to their Azmodan, yet they still put up good fights at the tributes, and ended up winning most of them. What was going on? Wasn't our nova trying to gank the pushers?

I decided to go watch the replay: Start of the game our nova goes in a lane, stays behind our minions and throws the occasional snipe at an enemy heroes. When tribute spawns she joins the teamfight to help. As soon as tribute is claimed she goes to an empty lane and stays in stealth behind our minions, doing nothing until the next tribute pops... oh and sometimes she would help our team claim a mercenary camp... yay.

Really sucks because we were doing decently otherwise. We might've been able to stay on top if our nova actually did something. Of course the enemy nova was doing her job roaming and ganking low hp asssasins.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Ugh when there's 2 nova and the game and you get the bad one. Ours had the lowest hero damage of all the team.

It was cursed hollow. We had a good kill lead for most of the game yet they were pushing us like crazy, mostly thanks to their Azmodan, yet they still put up good fights at the tributes, and ended up winning most of them. What was going on? Wasn't our nova trying to gank the pushers?

I decided to go watch the replay: Start of the game our nova goes in a lane, stays behind our minions and throws the occasional snipe at an enemy heroes. When tribute spawns she joins the teamfight to help. As soon as tribute is claimed she goes to an empty lane and stays in stealth behind our minions, doing nothing until the next tribute pops... oh and sometimes she would help our team claim a mercenary camp... yay.

Really sucks because we were doing decently otherwise. We might've been able to stay on top if our nova actually did something. Of course the enemy nova was doing her job roaming and ganking low hp asssasins.

Bot?

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Whenever there's a free week for the newest hero, I'm guaranteed that all my quests that week will be for every role type except that hero's (e.g., this week I've gotten nothing but Warrior/Support/Specialist quests).

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Hopped on tonight for the first time in about a week. I had just intended to play a few bot games to clear my quest log, but @WingedWeasel invited me to a party and we played a game before I had to go. I have to say that I like new Li-Ming just as much as the old Li-Ming. The loss of EoJ felt strange at first, but now it seems like Triuvirate actually works, so that's actually really fun. I still think Diamond Skin needs toned down a bit, as does her siege damage in the early game, but over all, I think she's in a good spot. Even with the nerfs, I still think she's actually my favorite assassin -- she's up there with Tychus, for sure, and that's saying a lot. I know he doesn't get a lot of attention anymore, but god damn, do I loves me some Tychus.

This discussion has been closed.