As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Early Onset Coot Disease

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited December 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Early Onset Coot Disease

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Everyone knows Jerry.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Huh. "I don't even recognize it as a game" is a bit odd. It's got plenty of fairly traditional gameplay in it.

• Options
    oldtakuoldtaku Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    [Edit: Edited to be a bit more clear and less hostile than it sounded on rereading.]

Now I'm really curious. Have you just not played it, or is it just one of those mirror neuron things (which is totally plausible and understandable given your history)? Because I'm a cranky old man, and it moved me more than most games manage with their by the numbers movie-script emotional manipulation. It's also got more gameplay and plot than any of your On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness series games.

Maybe you thought it was just trying too hard? It certainly was, but I also enjoyed that earnestness. I can see where that would turn people off though - it's an extremely naive game on the surface. Dig a little deeper, though, and you can see it's so goddamn chipper in /spite/ of being terribly cynical and bleak, and that's what really makes it inspiring.

Or maybe it's just a f@#$ing comic and I'm being too SERIOUS.

oldtaku on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    oldtaku wrote: »
    Now I'm really curious. Have you just not played it, or are your empathy glands and mirror neurons just atrophied (that's perfectly valid)? Because I'm a cranky old man, and it moved me more than most games manage with their fake movie-script emotional manipulation. And it's got more gameplay and plot than any of your On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness series. Or maybe you thought it was just trying too hard? It certainly was, but I also enjoyed that earnestness. I can see where that would turn people off though.

I wouldn't call Undertale an earnest game, it's really more of a study in how to make emotional manipulation actually work.

• Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    Game design is fundamentally about emotional manipulation.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    oldtakuoldtaku Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I wouldn't call Undertale an earnest game, it's really more of a study in how to make emotional manipulation actually work.
    If you've followed Toby's twitter account and Kickstarter updates, the game is pretty much pure Toby. Yeah, it's manipulative, extremely so at times - but that's like every other piece of media that affects you in any way. Authorship is entirely about manipulating your audience. But it's also earnest unless his entire personality is manufactured. Which is a possibility, but if so he's really good at it.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Huh. "I don't even recognize it as a game" is a bit odd. It's got plenty of fairly traditional gameplay in it.

comic tycho is exaggerated from real tycho

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am honestly surprised that 13-year-olds would love the game.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    retracted

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I am honestly surprised that 13-year-olds would love the game.

I am inherently assuming this to be some kind of swipe at Tumblr, minding it's hard to tell what the intent of that statement was. Either way, Undertale has a massive and really really virulent fanbase on Tumblr.

Don't venture in there or risk madness. What some of those fan artists create can NEVER be unseen.
    jothki wrote: »
    oldtaku wrote: »
    Now I'm really curious. Have you just not played it, or are your empathy glands and mirror neurons just atrophied (that's perfectly valid)? Because I'm a cranky old man, and it moved me more than most games manage with their fake movie-script emotional manipulation. And it's got more gameplay and plot than any of your On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness series. Or maybe you thought it was just trying too hard? It certainly was, but I also enjoyed that earnestness. I can see where that would turn people off though.

I don't agree with that, because it's more an attempt to make a world where "enemies" aren't just irrelevant generic "slaughter me" jobbers. It's actually a really interesting idea to try and encourage players to realize these things might, you know, actually have some kind of actual existence beyond "Kill them for XP". Undertale tells you that you're being a bastard, but otherwise doesn't truly give that much of a shit beyond some dialog with a certain NPC and the ending you get - of which the absolute worst is only achievable by very deliberately grinding out every area of the game uniquely. The fact it manages to make so many quirky relatable characters work is a major tick in its narrative strength, which again, sincerely reminds me of another great quirky RPG called Earthbound.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    You'd have to be in a weird place to become that disinterested in it if you also have a history of caring about writing and player interaction. Undertale is not avant-garde or groundbreaking to a degree that it should be leaving experienced players behind.

• Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    You'd have to be in a weird place to become that disinterested in it if you also have a history of caring about writing and player interaction. Undertale is not avant-garde or groundbreaking to a degree that it should be leaving experienced players behind.

I don't know if Jerry has written about it before, but does he like or "get" Earthbound? If he doesn't like Earthbound, it would be easy to see why he wouldn't like Undertale.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I've heard enough dumb people complaining about how bad Undertale is that I really want to play it now.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Undertale also has a very rocky start. The entire first section until Toriel is essentially garbage, and it lasts about an hour. I can absolutely understand someone not getting through that and thinking the game is a mess, if it weren't for the forums I wouldn't have persevered.
    Cambiata wrote: »
    At least Tycho finally realizes that his, "darn this gamer generation, with it's new fangled ideas!" attitude is a sign of being a cranky old man instead of a mark of his great insight.

Let's just go one comic without you immediately trying to turn the mood sour

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Maybe is he had listened, he would have known the character they were trying to tell him about was Jerry.

Then he would hate it even more!

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2015
    Notice that, in the third panel, Gabe has ditched him.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I can't wait until the newspost goes up and I can get angry about it!

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Notice that, in the third panel, Gabe has ditched him.
    He'll be back in a few turns.

• Options
    OmegaDezOmegaDez CanadaRegistered User regular
    This is how I feel when you guys talk about Destiny.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    What game are they even talking about? How do you guys know what game they are talking about?

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    What game are they even talking about? How do you guys know what game they are talking about?

He mentions it in panel 2 dude.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Undertale?

I took that to be a descriptive term, or the name of a place. Like the underdark. I did not realize it was a game name.

• Options
    Les-RLes-R Registered User new member
    The 'I don't recognize it as a game' thing is quite odd, it's visual style is pretty much textbook retro-RPG. It's combat system matches traditional turn-based RPG systems with rhythm-games and bullet-hell.

I'd heard similar complaints on GameFAQs during their 'best game EVER' polling when Undertale squared off against Ocarina of time. From the nature of those complaints I wonder if it was just a matter of, "Oh, 'those' people like this thing, it must be just another of those 'walking simulator' things."

• Options
    OmegaDez wrote: »
    This is how I feel when you guys talk about Destiny.

It fills me with determination.

• Options
    ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Sorry, Tycho. This is not generational. I'm roughly 1-2 years older than you, and I love Undertale. It's adorable, and I have played it twice. I will play it at least a third time. You're not old, you're just in a nasty fit of "stop liking what I don't like". I imagine it only seems like all the 13 year olds like it, because your kids are making you be surrounded by 13 year olds. Maybe make a few more friends who aren't your kid's friends.

Zomagic on
  • Options
    Robotic DraconianRobotic Draconian Registered User regular
    Is... is Gabe eating raw cookie dough?

• Options
    Les-R wrote: »
    The 'I don't recognize it as a game' thing is quite odd, it's visual style is pretty much textbook retro-RPG. It's combat system matches traditional turn-based RPG systems with rhythm-games and bullet-hell.

I'd heard similar complaints on GameFAQs during their 'best game EVER' polling when Undertale squared off against Ocarina of time. From the nature of those complaints I wonder if it was just a matter of, "Oh, 'those' people like this thing, it must be just another of those 'walking simulator' things."

tycho's problem is probably very different from why people on gamefaqs got so mad about it

some didn't like the fandom's rallies messing with the "integrity" of the poll, some had a problem with so recent of a game being in the poll to begin with (though it wasn't the only game in the poll from this year and those complaints didn't really start popping up until undertale started winning, mind you), and many... delightful types dismissed it as an "SJW" or "tumblr" game because there's a pacifism element and some of the characters are gay

tycho presumably just tried it and didn't see what the fuss was about

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

Wouldn't be the first time.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

It wouldn't be the first time.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MrDoctorProfessorMrDoctorProfessor Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Undertale also has a very rocky start. The entire first section until Toriel is essentially garbage, and it lasts about an hour. I can absolutely understand someone not getting through that and thinking the game is a mess, if it weren't for the forums I wouldn't have persevered.

Ill have to push on then. I got it, played through some of the beginning area and just couldn't grasp what the big deal was and kinda sat it aside as one of those things like Homestuck that I just don't get.

noAZAb5.png?1
    Hey Satan!
    Steam
  • Options

Ill have to push on then. I got it, played through some of the beginning area and just couldn't grasp what the big deal was and kinda sat it aside as one of those things like Homestuck that I just don't get.

I feel for you. You absolutely have to get past that area before it starts to make sense.

• Options
    WhelmedWhelmed Registered User regular
    While it seems to be most often the purview of the old facing the young, this sort of apathy towards things that other people care about deeply isn't only generational. I feel the same way when my sister talks about Candy Crush and HGTV shows, and she feels the same way when I talk to her about Dragon Age or football. We're both girls, and we're both almost the same age, but that's meaningless. Interests being different is a universal spectrum. It just becomes easier for someone else to accept if they (or you) can classify it in the "old person apathy" category.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I totally get this.

I'm a superfan and vocal defender of this game but I can see where the barrage of anime jokes and weird quirky characters totally wouldn't work for someone. I am surprised he didn't like the bullet hell combat mechanic though.

Tube is definitely right about the intro area.

I wonder if the game would have resonated better with Mike since back in the day he was the console guy and Jerry was more into PC. Without appreciating a lot of snes era jrpg tropes and especially Earthbound I can see where it wouldn't click.

Easy to draw parallels to Homestuck too, and not just because Toby worked on it. Similar passion from the fanbase which can be totally confusing to outsiders.

rhylith on
  • Options
    FriendFiveFriendFive Registered User regular
    Les-R wrote: »
    [Undertale's] visual style is pretty much textbook retro-RPG. It's combat system matches traditional turn-based RPG systems with rhythm-games and bullet-hell.

This is precisely why I have no interest in Undertale and I just can't figure out what all of the hoopla is about. I have always been more of a PC gamer rather than a console gamer and this game's presentation hearkens back to the Nintendo console RPGs of yesteryear. I have REALLY tried to be open-minded about the game; I've tried watching multiple people play it on Twitch and I can't even get through 10 minutes of it. If the game is really doing anything amazing with story, or characters, or meta-narrative, I guess I will just miss out on it, because I can't get through the presentation of the game. It looks and sounds like a JRPG from 20 years ago and I really didn't even gravitate toward that kind of game back then. Throw in "bullet hell" and I am running for the hills.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    At least Tycho finally realizes that his, "darn this gamer generation, with it's new fangled ideas!" attitude is a sign of being a cranky old man instead of a mark of his great insight.

I apologize.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Funny. I thought that the beginning was the game's strongest part. But then again I am the kind of person who waited for a certain someone for 40 minutes.
    The middle was still strong and the normal ending stronger still but the true ending felt like typical anime garbage.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Whippersnappers with their hoverboards and their pew dee pies and five knight Fred's

Back in my day we had to manually save our games uphill both ways and we liked it

(I own Undertake but haven't even started it, I blame Fallout 4).

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    DubiousCometDubiousComet Registered User new member
    I played Undertale because of this review: http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/undertale-review/1900-715/

And I wasn't disappointed. It had good music, great characters, and novel gameplay. I'd never played the games that inspired it, but I didn't feel like that was necessary.

This is one of those things (like Homestuck or Firefly) that suffers from its fan community. It's okay for people to be excited about things, but if they're constantly telling you that this game is so good, man, you have to play it because it's the best EVER -- it's easy to feel like either they're crazy, or you've lost touch.

• Options
    what are they supposed to do? not get excited about something they like?

the usual response is "don't be annoying about it" but what constitutes annoying is always arbitrarily decided by the other person

• Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    Undertale is slow going at first, and I never really became a fan of the bullet hell combat. But it did some interesting things, and some dialog near the end made me sad about earlier choices.(which on a blind play through you may not realize you have options for)

Without spoiling anything, I did enjoy the game's commentary on the relationship of players and games.(kinda like Bioshock) But I'm not sure I will replay it to get the other two endings.