As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] New Event, New Thread. Get a Move On!

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Yeah I would have pulled on the JP version. I think I'll probably skip ours.

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Finished up Ultimate Exdeath. Nothing super special to report, went with a pretty standard advance/retaliate/magic lure/reflect strategy.

For mitigation, I just had Magic Breakdown, Shellga, Protectga, and Stoneskin II. Most of my S/L were caused by me managing all my mitigation improperly, tbh.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I just reinstalled this game for the Rikku event

And then realization dawned on me that my characters might not be high enough level to actually do the final dungeon that gives you Rikku

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    If you get a single target Ssb rw you can just melt her with that and there is no trash on her stage.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Search here for Black Materia or Blasting Zone, and input the codes in the friends section of the config page. Those will probably do the most damage.

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: Β»

And then realization dawned on me that my characters might not be high enough level to actually do the final dungeon that gives you Rikku

Get your best team to grind out exp in the Daily today! Not sure where you left things but Rikku is only a level 35 dungeon.

• Options
    Bluecyan wrote: Β»

Get your best team to grind out exp in the Daily today! Not sure where you left things but Rikku is only a level 35 dungeon.

I've been using Growth Eggs that I have apparently banked up.

So now I have Kain, Yuna, Wakka and the Avatar all in the low 20's.

Also a Black Mage in the teens who will be replaced by Tidus once I finish this next dungeon

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    So I was looking at future banners, and apparently for the beginner banner in japan, the relics for Tyro/Kain/Rydia and Wakka were their 2nd relics, which in Tyro's case especially is MUCH BETTER.

The free relic choices were overall better as well:
    Tornado Grimoire (Tyro),
    Sun Blade (Warrior of Light),
    Demon Axe (Firion)
    King's Sword (Luneth)
    Darkness Sword (DK Cecil)
    Air Knife (Bartz)
    Enhance Sword (Terra)
    Buster Sword (Cloud)
    Revolver (Squall)
    Butterfly Sword (Zidane)
    Magister Rod (Yuna)
    Rune Blade (Ashe)
    Blaze Edge (Lightning)
    Healer Robe (Y'shtola)

I dunno, I keep hearing good things about the Stormlance Grimoire if you have weapons like lightning steel to put on Tyro.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: Β»
    So I was looking at future banners, and apparently for the beginner banner in japan, the relics for Tyro/Kain/Rydia and Wakka were their 2nd relics, which in Tyro's case especially is MUCH BETTER.

Tornado Grimoire (Tyro),
    Demon Axe (Firion)
    King's Sword (Luneth)
    Air Knife (Bartz)
    Enhance Sword (Terra)
    Buster Sword (Cloud)
    Revolver (Squall)
    Butterfly Sword (Zidane)
    Magister Rod (Yuna)
    Rune Blade (Ashe)
    Blaze Edge (Lightning)
    Healer Robe (Y'shtola)

I dunno, I keep hearing good things about the Stormlance Grimoire if you have weapons like lightning steel to put on Tyro.

I know Tyro has some mediocre stats, but would he be good with Stormlance Grimore and this +20% lightning damage 5* rod I pulled?

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

Tornado Grimoire (Tyro),
    Demon Axe (Firion)
    King's Sword (Luneth)
    Air Knife (Bartz)
    Enhance Sword (Terra)
    Buster Sword (Cloud)
    Revolver (Squall)
    Butterfly Sword (Zidane)
    Magister Rod (Yuna)
    Rune Blade (Ashe)
    Blaze Edge (Lightning)
    Healer Robe (Y'shtola)

Yeah, but FREE BLAZE EDGE

INSTEAD WE GOT SNOW'S SHITTY SHIT, WHICH I ALREADY HAVE.

I really wish I never laid eyes on this list.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Narbus wrote: Β»

Tornado Grimoire (Tyro),
    Demon Axe (Firion)
    King's Sword (Luneth)
    Air Knife (Bartz)
    Enhance Sword (Terra)
    Buster Sword (Cloud)
    Revolver (Squall)
    Butterfly Sword (Zidane)
    Magister Rod (Yuna)
    Rune Blade (Ashe)
    Blaze Edge (Lightning)
    Healer Robe (Y'shtola)

I know Tyro has some mediocre stats, but would he be good with Stormlance Grimore and this +20% lightning damage 5* rod I pulled?

SLG is physical damage with lightning element; you'd want a lightning flavored ATK weapon for him instead.

Edit: You'd give him Steal Power, too.

Rius on
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Rius wrote: Β»
    Narbus wrote: Β»

Tornado Grimoire (Tyro),
    Demon Axe (Firion)
    King's Sword (Luneth)
    Air Knife (Bartz)
    Enhance Sword (Terra)
    Buster Sword (Cloud)
    Revolver (Squall)
    Butterfly Sword (Zidane)
    Magister Rod (Yuna)
    Rune Blade (Ashe)
    Blaze Edge (Lightning)
    Healer Robe (Y'shtola)

SLG is physical damage with lightning element; you'd want a lightning flavored ATK weapon for him instead.

Edit: You'd give him Steal Power, too.

I only have magic +lightning damage stuff. Laaaaaaaaaame.

Narbus on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Fiiinally
    wjdkhtcevsow.png

That took forever to get.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The V event +++ is kicking my ass. Bad. With Resistance gear and Shellga and Full Break, she does like 2000 or more to the whole team or 4000 to a single person. Wtf? Sleep Buster works about one every 6 casts, so it's not really an answer...

• Options
    Are you using Magic Breakdown too? Try bringing Cecil/Celes with Mako Might for extra res.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    Are you using Magic Breakdown too? Try bringing Cecil/Celes with Mako Might for extra res.

That stacks differently than Shellga?

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Shellga buffs you. Magic Breakdown affects an enemy. Full break stacks as well since it affects stats other than Mag as well.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

That stacks differently than Shellga?

Shellga, SG/SSII, Magic Breakdown, and Full Break all stack together making for some very solid mitigation if you can keep it going

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Yeah, going overboard on mitigation and then just Advance saved the day.

Full Break + Magic Breakdown + Shellga + P Cecil's Soul Break whenever I could was enough. I won just as Lenna was about to eat shit too.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I took a break from all event dungeons and story dungeons. I've been putting all of my stamina into the Heroic and "+" daily EXP dungeons. I think they must have recently upped the EXP gained from these, because my dudes are getting better EXP than they did from Orb Fest this time around. Or maybe they nerfed Orb Fest.

Anyway, I've been working on my FF3 team. I know they have poor synergies and DeNa literally skipped the FF3 event that should have come right after Vale.

But I have a special place in my heart for the 4 Warriors of Light from FF3. I absolutely love the DS remake of that game, and I can honestly say that FF3 is among my favorite main-line series. Luneth, Arc, Ingus, and Refia are one of my favorite main parties. So I've been leveling them. With dumb ol' Tyro as my 5th.

I also ran my "main party" through the "+" EXP dungeon once and both Cloud and Sephiroth dinged, so that's cool. I've still got a long ways to go on them. They're tied at 67 for my highest characters (I only got their MC2's very recently) and they haven't been in the party much due to running a FFX party right now for the event synergy.

Next up, I'll probably assemble a team of FFIV dudes and try to get some levels on them, in preparation for the Rosa/Edge event that will be coming next week.

Speaking of Edge, I'd like to see a few more ninja abilities added. Flurry of Petals and True Bolt or whatever it's called are both great. I'd like to see maybe some sort of Evasion buff that just puts their EVA through the roof.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Bleh. Ultimate Exdeath. Bleh I say.

With my own SG and Lunatic High (and shellga) mitigation is not a problem at all. Retaliating, damage output isn't a problem at all. Reflecting so weak phase double casts aren't a problem.

It's olol dispel > vacuum wave or any aoe > aoe, which there is literally no defense against, and even if he has 7 hit points left, you wipe. :rotate: I almost wish I was doing something "wrong" so the S/L'ing would feel like I was learning something...as it stands it's just s/l'ing for that time when it won't be bullshit and I'll get the clear. Of course, I'm sure that time, he won't cast one of his elements to reflect on himself and I'll lose those medals...:lol:

EDIT: I do think I'll switch out Lenna for Selphie though; Krile has Kirin so Lennas AoE regen isn't useful and I could really use Trabia's Light for the second phase when reflect is up. EDIT EDIT: or maybe I'll just switch out kirin and bring selphie and lenna.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I'm so close to getting Cecil/rinoa/tyro to 65 I'm considering burning some mythril on stamina refreshes

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Im doing the same Javen. Im Running Squall, Rinoa, Pal Cecil, Tyro, and Tidus through the XP dungeons right now. only 3 more levels each to use their MC2s.

Probably not gonna bother with getting Lenna to 65 at the moment.

• Options
    So i tried the second-to-last dungeon for the Rikku event (the one that unlocks Auron) with my 25-30 party and a random follower Limit Break

The final boss wiped my party by the time I got it down to 1/3rd health. The Limit didn't help very much (just over 1k per use)

Tried it again, this time after following a whole lot more Black Materia people

Fucking Sephiroth did 9,999 damage four times, holy shit

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    So i tried the second-to-last dungeon for the Rikku event (the one that unlocks Auron) with my 25-30 party and a random follower Limit Break

The final boss wiped my party by the time I got it down to 1/3rd health. The Limit didn't help very much (just over 1k per use)

Tried it again, this time after following a whole lot more Black Materia people

Fucking Sephiroth did 9,999 damage four times, holy shit

You can check the level of the friends. Some are max level and do great damage.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Some also like to change their gear to fit the current event.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    So thinking about the Beginner Banner, one of things I'm totally lacking in is Light Armor. So I'm wondering which would be better:

Snow's armor, which is decent armor with a bad soul break for a bad character in a useful realm, or;

Thancred's armor, which is better armor with a good soul break for a bad character in a useless realm.

• Options
    I wouldn't pull for Light Armor, I'm sure you'll just get some incidentally. I'm heavily leaning towards skipping that banner entirely at this point.
    Managed to get through Exdeath Ultimate with a team based off the one I posted before. It was a lot of S/L ing. I'm not sure what causes it but something about the way you knock him under 50% can cause him to chain three attacks together on the turn you get him below 50%. If all three are vacuum wave/Earthshaker its quite annoying.
    7h89l9be8xbu.png

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I wouldn't pull for Light Armor, I'm sure you'll just get some incidentally. I'm heavily leaning towards skipping that banner entirely at this point.
    Managed to get through Exdeath Ultimate with a team based off the one I posted before. It was a lot of S/L ing. I'm not sure what causes it but something about the way you knock him under 50% can cause him to chain three attacks together on the turn you get him below 50%. If all three are vacuum wave/Earthshaker its quite annoying.
    7h89l9be8xbu.png

About to give more or less this exact strategy a try. Really not looking forward to it, just wanna beat it for the accessory, master would be nice but not really worried about it.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I'm struggling with Melusane in the FFV event. I'm running an all mage team and maintaining sleep on her. I don't have enough hones/casts of Fire to completely down her with Fire. So I'm running Ice as a backup.

The fatal flaw in my plan is that when I allow her to barrier shift, if she doesn't shift to Ice I'm screwed.

I'm also having a problem with landing sleep after I wake her. I'll punch her to wake her, wait for the barrier shift, and then recast sleep. I've got two people with max honed sleep on standby, and I've had situations where both have missed. Then she wipes my party, or at the very least murders 1 person.

• Options
    Can you post your setup? Are you hitting her with Magic Breakdown/Shellga/Sentinel's Grimore?

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    Just took out Exdeath Ultimate with a triple black mage team. Took almost all my uses of 4* black magic, but there was very little RNG involved aside from unlucky counter dispels from the few breaks (~10 the entire battle) I used.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I got through the Melusine fight by falling back to non-elemental spells after running out of fire hones. Ruin/ruinga/meteor/valefor. I wasn't too far off killing her from fire sources only, though.

• Options
    Can you post your setup? Are you hitting her with Magic Breakdown/Shellga/Sentinel's Grimore?

I did not have Stoneskin / Sentinel. I know I need it. I've got a bunch of them favorited and the game wasn't giving them to me. I used Boon, because that was the best support RW I was able to come up with after several clears of the FFVII newbie stage.

I have not been using any breakdowns.

I'm thinking I'm gonna re-structure my team and bring Mog. I'll use Stutter Step as my resistance debuff, that way I'm not breaking sleep. I'll build Mog with Black Mage gear, give him Sleep and Stutter Step.

On my next attempt this is what I'm planning:
    --Rinoa - Firaja, Blizzaja / Inner Fire
    --Lulu - Firaga, Blizzaga / Mako Might (I have her Mog doll, so I will use my free Firaga Fury)
    --Mog - Sleep, Stutter Step / Preemptive Strike
    --Lenna - Sleep, Shellga / Flash of Light
    --Krile - Ifrit, Shiva / Beastial Affinity

That is what I'm thinking.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    So thinking about the Beginner Banner, one of things I'm totally lacking in is Light Armor. So I'm wondering which would be better:

Snow's armor, which is decent armor with a bad soul break for a bad character in a useful realm, or;

Thancred's armor, which is better armor with a good soul break for a bad character in a useless realm.
    Definitely pull one of them. I nabbed Snow's armor in its first banner appearance, and it's never left my party since. Natural 5* armor is pretty rare in general; there's so fewer of them compared to weapons. Thancred's will be more useful to you immediately since it'll be stronger than Snow's in the majority of situations. But note that Lightning's MC2 event is coming soon; if you think you'll need the defense boost to get through that, then Snow's armor is a great choice.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Is there a point where you want 5* Light/Heavy Armor instead of 5* Helms/Hats/Bracers?

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Rius wrote: Β»
    Is there a point where you want 5* Light/Heavy Armor instead of 5* Helms/Hats/Bracers?
    Depends on your strategy and armor availability. All else being equal (realm synergy, SBs, etc) -- physical defense tends to be less useful than resistance. Most multi-target attacks are magic type, and bosses tend to load up on them. And Draw Fire + Retaliate (or multiple Retaliators) is a common and very useful strategy. Plus, the back row reduces most physical damage, but it never reduces magic damage.

For this reason, heavy armor is generally less useful than light armor.

Whether you're using armor versus hats & bracers is just a matter of how hard you're getting hit versus how hard you need to hit. If you're relying on a couple damage dealers in your party, those should probably have hats & bracers while your support & healers don armor.

I'm not flush enough to have to make this decision very often, though. Thanks to realm synergy, usually it's just a matter of finding the five best pieces of gear that I have any one point in time regardless of what type they have. I've taken shields into battle on several occasions for that reason alone despite their typical inferiority.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I did not have Stoneskin / Sentinel. I know I need it. I've got a bunch of them favorited and the game wasn't giving them to me. I used Boon, because that was the best support RW I was able to come up with after several clears of the FFVII newbie stage.

I have not been using any breakdowns.

I'm thinking I'm gonna re-structure my team and bring Mog. I'll use Stutter Step as my resistance debuff, that way I'm not breaking sleep. I'll build Mog with Black Mage gear, give him Sleep and Stutter Step.

On my next attempt this is what I'm planning:
    --Rinoa - Firaja, Blizzaja / Inner Fire
    --Lulu - Firaga, Blizzaga / Mako Might (I have her Mog doll, so I will use my free Firaga Fury)
    --Mog - Sleep, Stutter Step / Preemptive Strike
    --Lenna - Sleep, Shellga / Flash of Light
    --Krile - Ifrit, Shiva / Beastial Affinity

That is what I'm thinking.

Don't you have your own Sentinel? x3 even?

I'd bring that, with mako might and give him sleep stutter step, that way you can bring boon as RW and give Lenna Curaga or something so that you can heal. I think Hojo +++ was the first +++ where I didn't need to heal at all in awhile, normally you'll need something. Did you get the candle rod? An AoE heal would probably help as well.

Also MND affects sleep, not MAG so you want to give your sleepers White mage gear not black.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    only one more elite to finish in this DU...

what a long holiday.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I did some of the dungeons from the update while the other events were going on and now I'm done with all the dungeons already. Farming is kinda boring =\

updates coming today methinks

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
This discussion has been closed.