As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Snape kills [Chat]eldore

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Guns are like cars because both kill a lot of people and are more fun if you are drunk, but it is only illegal to use a car when drunk

All of this is true!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    do you have to pay taxes on patreon funds

If you hit the minimum amount as stated by the law

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Guns are like cars because Germans make the best ones, but a lot of Americans don't understand this and try to set up trade protections for Americas interior products.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    destiny chatters is there any destiny things I need to know

how do i pvp

etc

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

they're gifts I think?

idk!

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    Let me guess

People used the analogy of cars and how we regulate the hell out of them so why not guns.

And you didn't have a real answer for that so you want to change the argument.

the real answer is: privs and rights are not equivalent, and nothing that flows from the one can be used to discuss the other.

Which is a thing I've said a couple dozen times, along with many other folks, and this response from you was very uncharitable. :(

Yeah, but ya see...

the idea of it being a "right" to own a device with no purpose other than to end a life is fucking assinine

"Government, you OWE me the ability to kill somebody/thing else, dammit"

It's not the right to own one though. It's the freedom from unreasonable government restriction on owning one, and that difference is subtle but extremely important.

You can't demand your gun, all you can do is demand the government not get in the way of you having one (outside of the restrictions we agree are not too onerous according to the various ways we've worked out to balance individual liberties and the public interest, just like with the other parts of the BoR)

may i ask if you think the current bouquet of restrictions we have are roughly appropriate in terms of striking that balance

or should they be more or less onerous

I think there is still work to do, but we're mostly on the right track. I'm not upset with Obama's current EOs (apart from the expansion of Executive power).

The existence of Heller and McDonald are a great comfort to me on this topic.

Heller and McDonald are solid. They explicitly leave open the option of regulation while confirming that, yes, self-defense is part of the penumbra attached to the Second Amendment (kind of like the right to privacy that lots of folks are attached to), and obviates racially-discriminatory policies regarding local and state issue of gun permits.

Personally, I know the odds aren't in my favor, so I don't carry or keep a gun at home. But someone may value the chance - however small- even if statistically speaking they're more at risk.

we hit on the "statistically more at risk" thing earlier, and based on the paper we looked at, I'm not at all convinced.

I can't be arsed since folks just bend to the point of lying about it, now.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    jake, you'll be glad to know that since Winky started posting those youtubes of music played over 5 looping frames from an anime, you are no longer the only person in [chat] who keeps posting something I don't understand the appeal of.

The point is that you're supposed to be listening to the music.

The 5 looping frames of classic anime is, like, flavor.

• Options
    https://www.patreon.com/taxes here is the answer.

Basically yes you do.
    If you are a US creator, and you make over $600 a year, you’ll need to complete a W9 and we will send you a 1099.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

they're gifts I think?

idk!

@organichu this sounds like your area of expertise

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I wonder if I could get surrealitycheck to provide penchant British commentary on me playing my zombie game.

I don't really know him that well.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    jake you are an actually funny person how do you keep coming back to that garbage..
    jake, you'll be glad to know that since Winky started posting those youtubes of music played over 5 looping frames from an anime, you are no longer the only person in [chat] who keeps posting something I don't understand the appeal of.

eventually it shall dawn on ye

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

yes if you're making enough and also Patreon always takes 5% so that's why it's always a bit of a weird number!

Blameless Cleric on
    Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options

Basically yes you do.
    If you are a US creator, and you make over $600 a year, you’ll need to complete a W9 and we will send you a 1099.

bleric do not blow all your sweet dollars you will have to give some of them back!

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

they're gifts I think?

idk!

organichu this sounds like your area of expertise

hahaha this was great

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

Basically yes you do.
    Your baby is already bringing in enough to pay Uncle Sam like a real patriot.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    on the bright side jake it makes me an even more ambitious friend because i know there is a part of you to which i have yet to gain access... must always strive for more...

• Options
    well y'see *pushes up sunglasses*

• Options
    Bcleric probably has enough deductions it will zero out since she is a poverty stricken college youth

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Sometimes...sometimes I wish I could do this...

• Options
    Winky wrote: »

Oh, I assumed that music was available anywhere and that the looping anime was a major part of the appeal.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Let me guess

People used the analogy of cars and how we regulate the hell out of them so why not guns.

the real answer is: privs and rights are not equivalent, and nothing that flows from the one can be used to discuss the other.

Which is a thing I've said a couple dozen times, along with many other folks, and this response from you was very uncharitable. :(

Freedom of movement is a constitutional right. There are quite a few restrictions on that constitutional right.

Freedom of movement has nothing to do with car ownership.

The fact that you might happen to use a car to exercise that is orthogonal to the right. You have other means of transport.

I happen to think it should include car ownership, but that's just not the state of the law.

Depending on the jurisdiction, it is prohibited to cross many highways outside of a vehicle, which can effectively kill those other means of transportation. The equivalent with guns would be saying you can own a gun, you just can't use anything other than a black powder cartridge rifle unless you meet a bunch of requirements.

• Options
    speaking of gifts for a person's time,
    Well I am not your typical lady in the business. I have a Master Degree and speak 3 different languages.

how dare you imply that the 'typical' provider is uneducated or unsophisticated

how dare you

*closes tab angrily*

• Options

Oh, I assumed that music was available anywhere and that the looping anime was a major part of the appeal.

Well, I mean, the music might be available anywhere, I think most of these are remixes. The point is you're supposed to play the channel playlist.

• Options

Well, I mean, the music might be available anywhere, I think most of these are remixes. The point is you're supposed to play the channel playlist.

Okay, that makes more sense. You're off the list.

Jake, you're back to being the only weirdo in [chat].

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

Okay, that makes more sense. You're off the list.

Jake, you're back to being the only weirdo in [chat].

(that is me, here, in chat)

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    TTODewback wrote: »

Basically yes you do.
    Your baby is already bringing in enough to pay Uncle Sam like a real patriot.

*smoke billowing out ears*

• Options
    Jake cease this shit posting immediately

• Options
    Jake cease this shit posting immediately

No,

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    (reasons why I think us progressives should give up on gun control law and work on labor law instead)

The feeling I get is that we mostly have. Sure, the argument keeps on coming up, but the feeling is more one of resignation that nothing is going to happen. The NRA's support or at least acquiescence is needed to pass any gun control laws and that isn't happening. No sense that there might be a tipping point any time soon either. Even a heavily triangulated gun control measure that a large majority of NRA members support is likely to be not get through congress.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Let me guess

Freedom of movement is a constitutional right. There are quite a few restrictions on that constitutional right.

Freedom of movement has nothing to do with car ownership.

The fact that you might happen to use a car to exercise that is orthogonal to the right. You have other means of transport.

I happen to think it should include car ownership, but that's just not the state of the law.

Depending on the jurisdiction, it is prohibited to cross many highways outside of a vehicle, which can effectively kill those other means of transportation. The equivalent with guns would be saying you can own a gun, you just can't use anything other than a black powder cartridge rifle unless you meet a bunch of requirements.

???

You can take a Greyhound anywhere in the continental US. The caselaw does not contemplate the literal means of locomotion you happen to use.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options

yes if you're making enough and also Patreon always takes 5% so that's why it's always a bit of a weird number!

I don't know if you'll end up making enough to experience this, but when you get high enough in pledges you'll find that like 30% of your pledges end up being declined/fraudulent/etc, too.

Luckily, Patreon has finally made it so instead of showing how much you're being pledged, they'll show an estimate of how much you'll actually make instead, so you have to worry less about the fact that people think you're making twice as much as you actually make.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    DEAR MOTHERFUCKERS

Guess who made fuckin HOMEMADE CRUNCHWRAP SUPREMES

DXmrFMol.jpg
    qqDluaWl.jpg
    8p5zUOBl.jpg

They were delicious and filling also easy to make

God bless Taco Bell

@Shazkar Shadowstorm

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    FYI, I am pressuring a couple of my super talented coworkers into gettin in on this Patreon business.

I began using Winky and Cass as examples of success...

Now i guess i can also point to BC...

WHY ARE YOU GUYS ALL SO TALENTED!?

• Options
    My $1 is super fraudulent

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    the dream is alive, hakkes

• Options
    Winky, do a huge number of contributors just donate once and then cancel their thing

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

they're gifts I think?

idk!

how are neither of you in jail?

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    did you explain what winky does to them in explicit detail
    palms sweaty...

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Hockey Guy that is amazing
    God bless you and yours

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    TTODewback wrote: »
    My $1 is super fraudulent

Yeah I think she probably doesn't have to worry about that since most of us would have to commit sudoku out of embarrassment

This discussion has been closed.