Options

RIP Alan Rickman

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    EDIT: Embedding an image wasnt working, I'll try again later.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I just want to take this moment to say that I love Love Actually and I don't care who knows it. And the storyline with Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson is easily the most realistic and heartbreaking part of that movie. I dislike him more in that role than almost any of his actual 'villain' roles but damn if he doesn't knock that one out of the park too.

Plus it's responsible for a scene between Alan Rickman and Mr. Bean. I mean come on.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    you actually love love actually?

Beasteh on
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Houk wrote: »
    I just want to take this moment to say that I love Love Actually and I don't care who knows it. And the storyline with Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson is easily the most realistic and heartbreaking part of that movie. I dislike him more in that role than almost any of his actual 'villain' roles but damn if he doesn't knock that one out of the park too.

Plus it's responsible for a scene between Alan Rickman and Mr. Bean. I mean come on.

Love Actually is really great

Some of the stories are stronger than others, but they're all fun, which is all I ask for from my Christmas romcom

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I've often wondered why the legion of former child actors from Harry Potter seem to be such well adjusted adults on average, compared to the typical trajectory for that career path. I think a small contributing factor may have been the presence of adult costars who knew how to treat them like... well... kids, instead of holding them to the same standard of seriousness as adults, or dismissing them as basically animated props.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    so Tim Curry is 69 right now too

and I am simply mortified right now

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Speaking of Snape, this will never fail to crack me up
    tumblr_m0jvxj4Pep1qcflkwo1_500.gif

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

Locksley should have been bartending.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    "What are you doing here?"
    "We .... fucking .... go to school here ...."
    "....you will be schooled here"

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

Some of the stories are stronger than others, but they're all fun, which is all I ask for from my Christmas romcom

I kind of find the whole thing outside of Rickman's plot to be weird and gross.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular

The fact that the Terry Pratchett twitter is posting about the death of Alan Rickman is all kinds of spooky.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular

Charles Dance did a pretty good job I thought

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

I'm up for this!

I'm seriously hoping that our local cinemas start screening his movies and donating the proceeds to the Irish Cancer Society. There's already one place screening Labyrinth this weekend to raise funds for them. I'd love to see more cinemas step up and do the same.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

Re-really?

I don't see that at all

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    I remember reading that the makers of Last Action Hero tried to get Alan Rickman to play the antagonist, but he was too expensive.
    They got Charles Dance instead, and Dance heard why he'd been hired and went around set while not on camera wearing a shirt that read "I'm Cheaper Than Alan Rickman."

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016

Are you saying you don't find Rickman's plot to be weird and gross?

Cuz I'm not gonna pretend the relationships in Love Actually ain't fucked up

But Rickman's is literally the most obviously weird and gross

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Yeah I really hate that movie. Rickman and Thompson are obviously both great, and elevate the material. I find the rest of it to be shockingly misjudged and inadvertently misogynistic.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

man I don't know, it's hard to top the prime minister hooking up with his...maid? secretary? being sold as like a cute, heartwarming story

• Options
    I thought Rickman was super entertaining to watch in that movie.

But my girlfriend at the time swooning over Andrew Lincoln's scene with the cards was the first sign it wasn't going to work. Because what the fuck, dude.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Anybody else here like Bottle Shock?
    Cause that's another one where Rickman just knocks it out of the park, but it never really comes up in conversation.

Jim Barrett (Pullman): Why don't I like you?
    Steven Spurrier (Rickman): Because you think I'm an arsehole. And I'm not, really. I'm just British and, well... you're not.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2016
    Shorty wrote: »

man I don't know, it's hard to top the prime minister hooking up with his...maid? secretary? being sold as like a cute, heartwarming story

General support staff/maid. Secretary might have been more palatable, frankly.

... I really like Richard Curtis but he frequently puts a lot of cutesy bullshit around some pretty terrible behaviour

tynic on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Disney's robin hood has a lot of problems

I think it's impressive that it manages to be really entertaining despite the fact that it has like three different plot arcs, none of which are really resolved, and that the end of the movie comes out of nowhere and doesn't really have anything to do with anything that happened up to that point (King Richard just...shows up?)

ultimately I think it's buoyed by the design of Robin himself, and by his VA's performance

ANYWAY

goddamnit I miss Alan Rickman already

thinkin' I'm gonna do a viewing of the Harry Potter movies pretty soon, maybe also Galaxy Quest

got some sweet roger miller tunes, that's probably the main point in its favor

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    So this is presumably bigger news up here than in the US, but former barbershop singer, agent and husband to Céline Dion, René Angélil, also just died.

(he was 73 though)

sig.gif
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Disney's robin hood has a lot of problems

I think it's impressive that it manages to be really entertaining despite the fact that it has like three different plot arcs, none of which are really resolved, and that the end of the movie comes out of nowhere and doesn't really have anything to do with anything that happened up to that point (King Richard just...shows up?)

ultimately I think it's buoyed by the design of Robin himself, and by his VA's performance

ANYWAY

goddamnit I miss Alan Rickman already

thinkin' I'm gonna do a viewing of the Harry Potter movies pretty soon, maybe also Galaxy Quest

got some sweet roger miller tunes, that's probably the main point in its favor

Roger Miller by himself makes that film good.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Also a reminder that both Alan Rickman and Bowie were working class kids who got a chance to turn their talent into a career thanks to the government theatre and arts programs that existed when they were younger that have all but vanished now.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    GodDAMN!

Not off to a great start 2016 :(

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    having read through the thread, I'm starting to believe it, but

are you fucking kidding me

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    I plan to be in denial for at least the next thirty minutes

There better not be any more joke 'RIP' thread titles after this week, 'cause I can't deal

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Man Galaxy Quest is the fucking best

Alan Rickman was such a treasure

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Just fired it up myself

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    By Grabthar's Hammer ...

... What a savings

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Also a reminder that both Alan Rickman and Bowie were working class kids who got a chance to turn their talent into a career thanks to the government theatre and arts programs that existed when they were younger that have all but vanished now.

this makes me even more profoundly sad than I already was

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    "What are you doing here?"
    "We .... fucking .... go to school here ...."
    "....you will be schooled here"

Oh god I've wanted to say this like five times today

I mean I guess that's about standard for me but this is STILL TERRIBLE and death is taking ALL OF MY OLDER BRITISH SWOONWORTHIES and it's NOT OKAY.

But @tynic lit the Court Jester signal, so in an effort at levity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ9f2rnjB84

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    To be honest, I'm still in denial about Danny Kaye dying, and that's been 20 years.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm still in denial about Danny Kaye dying, and that's been 20 years.

30 years actually, well, 29.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!