As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bloodborne] "Behold! A Paleblood sky!"

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Omfg, fuck frenzy. Fuck it to hell. Such a stupid mechanic. Is like they said 'let's make a gauntlet that forces player to rush and make dumb mistakes but kill them anyways if they make it to the end!'

So....wtf happened in the expansion area? Why is there so much blood?

Is bloodborne just dreams within dreams like in the movie Inception?

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Goes into the Lovecraftian idea that dreams are our ability to visit other worlds/alternate realities which are just as real as our own.

And yes fuck frenzy. There is a Rune that can increase your resistance by +200 but it's small comfort if not backed up by a bunch of sedatives.

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    You can also increase your frenzy resistance by keeping your insight low.

And yeah the nightmares are stacked on each other. You can other layers from where you start in the Nightmare Frontier and also the Fishing Hamlet.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So are hunters just people who...... Go into dreams and hunt?

• Options
    To answer that question would get into that serious end game spoilers.

Not opposed to it, but if you'd like to finish it first then come back and chat. Not that it'll make that much sense on your first playthrough...or without a Vaatividya lore video...

• Options
    I already beat the game and got some weird ending where I just shrugged my shoulders. I mean The Doll is bae and all but what a weird reward for going through all that trouble eating ubilical cords.

• Options
    Ah gotcha.

So here's the Vaatividya video
    Basically my take on the purpose of hunters
    they are individuals who hunt down those who befall the curse of beasts from using blood ministrations...but since everyone in Yarnham uses blood ministration from the Healing Church, everyone will turn into beasts sooner or later. Hunters are either hired and trained by the Healing Church or were individuals before the hunter's formal formation that hunt down these beasts.

These individuals are eventually pulled into the Hunter's Dream, a combination of Gerhman's wish and the Moon Presence, a sort of pocket dimension that draws defeated or retreating hunters to rearm and prepare to go forth and hunt again. There is speculation that the Moon Presence is using hunter's to defeat other Great Ones as once Mergo's Wet Nurse, and presumably Mergo him/herself, is defeated, the Hunter's Workshop in the Hunter's Dream is set ablaze as the night ends...but potentially to begin the cycle anew once the beasts in Yarhnam grew too great.

Therefore, while Yarhnam is the real world, the Hunter's Dream, Nightmare Frontier, Nightmare of Mensis, and Hunter's Nightmare are all realities that the hunter, in some way influenced by the Moon Presence, can visit as different realms. The Hunter's Nightmare is a counterpart to the Hunter's Dream as while the former is a sanctuary the latter is a sort of purgatory, inflicted upon Byrgenworth and its followers for defiling Kos and the fishing hamlet. Potentially the Dream was created to safeguard hunter's, but once they become blood drunk enough they'll either turn into beasts themselves (Gascoigne) or are pulled into the Nightmare (Maria) or both (Ludwig).

By defeating the Moon Presence you've potentially ended the cycle and perhaps the Hunter's Dream. Or perhaps you take the Moon Presence's place or go on to have your own eldritch goals fighting the other great ones of a world that lacks insight/eyes to truly know the truth.

But that's just my speculation along with a lot of what Vaati covered.

• Options
    Man, that lore video gave me my next Tabletop RPG campaign idea.....

So is there a decent guide on how to use the chalice dungeon to get the good stuff
    ?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

So is there a decent guide on how to use the chalice dungeon to get the good stuff
    ?

https://reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/3184gy/chalice_dungeon_resources_faq/

tl;dr

Do chalices in this order, and fully clear them to get chalice materials for the next chalice.

Pthumeru (requires beating Blood-starved Beast)
    Central Pthumeru
    Lower Pthumeru
    Ailing Loran (requires beating Amygdala)
    Defiled Chalice
    Lower Loran and/or Isz Chalice (requires beating Ebrietas) - buy the Sinister versions of these chalices from the messenger baths inside the chalice)
    Pthumeru Ihyll

Congrats! You now probably have the platinum trophy! To be able to unlock any chalice other hunters have made at this level, you have to create at least one chalice with all rituals (Fetted, Rotted and Cursed) using one of the Root versions. So for example, after you beat Ihyll you get the Pthumeru Ihyll Root Chalice. Create that with all three rituals turned on. Then you can access any FRC chalice anyone else has made. Also for the Sinister chalices, you have to make one of those with whatever curses they have (I think just one). Then you're good to go.

The Hintertomb Chalices are optional, you can get some fashion gear from a boss in the second Hintertomb chalice.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It's a shame they lock that one boss behind the final chalice, because she's a lot of fun to fight.

• Options

?

The best gems are in the level 5 FRC chalices.

Here's how to get there:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/3oqcqw/how_to_guide_for_unlocking_all_cds_ice_cream/

And here's where to find them once you have everything unlocked:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XYzO2js7ggvPEg8125SIKDo6anvqirI2Dxj2JvYR0uM/edit#gid=1764548982

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

A Hunter is a Hunter, even in a dream.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I have to admit. Bloodborne is easily my favorite PS4 game. I love everything about this game, especially the heel turn. I know FromSoftware is seriously burned out on 'Souls-like' but I really want more of this. I wish they give this game the proper 'Pro' treatment, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

A Hunter is a Hunter, even in a dream.

A hoonter must hoont.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Recent video release from Vaati covering the cut content from Bloodborne

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    So I started playing bloodborne yesterday for the first time. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I started off aiming for an arcane build, and it's finally starting to come together. I've been using Ludwig's sword for most stuff, and the flame spreader when it was convenient (it was the first thing that I had that actually scaled with arcane). So far I've managed to down Cleric Beast, Father Whatsiswerewolf, Bloodstarved Beast, the electric guy, the witches, and the hairy woman.

The first few fights were by far the hardest. I think I lost to wolfdad more than any other fight so far. BSB and electric guy only managed to KO me once, and I one shot witches (without getting hit) and the hairy lady. Now I'm running around tying up loose ends before I accidentally run into whatever the next big bad is.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    You...did that all in the first day???

• Options
    MrBody wrote: »
    You...did that all in the first day???

I did Cleric Beast and Dadwolf yesterday. Or wait, maybe I did dadwolf this morning? I don't remember, it's been a long day.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Honestly, gascoigne does a really good job at teaching you how to play this game. Assuming you didn't cheese him, you'll learn the correct tactics and develope the muscle memory from that fight. He's easily one of my favorite bosses if all time thanks to that.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Honestly, gascoigne does a really good job at teaching you how to play this game. Assuming you didn't cheese him, you'll learn the correct tactics and develope the muscle memory from that fight. He's easily one of my favorite bosses if all time thanks to that.

I totally cheesed him. I ran a circuit around the arena one of the times I was looking for my blood echoes and I found
    The broach, and I put two and two together. I then played some music for him and punched him in the asshole a couple of times. After he wolfed out I threw a few molotovs and him and it was over.

Parrying him was so unreliable. It was really hard to tell what attacks were actually parryable and which ones were not, and it was hard to tell what the windows were. With how hard he hits and how far away from a lantern he is, it just wasn't worth the frustration.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I found Bloodborne parrying to be largely unreliable in general, largely offset by how safely spammable it is to parry. Between the parrying animation startup time, bullet travel time (getting sent flying after a successful parry happens far too often), the window during which an attack can be parried, which attacks can't be parried, and which enemies can't be parried, trying to reliably parry something on command was usually a crapshoot.

Far, far easier and more reliable to just spam shots and dodge, rather than trying to intentionally counter a specific attack. And once you pick up a Blood Rapture rune or two, trading health for blood bullets is no big deal and makes spamming even less problematic.

• Options
    I found Bloodborne parrying to be largely unreliable in general, largely offset by how safely spammable it is to parry. Between the parrying animation startup time, bullet travel time (getting sent flying after a successful parry happens far too often), the window during which an attack can be parried, which attacks can't be parried, and which enemies can't be parried, trying to reliably parry something on command was usually a crapshoot.

Far, far easier and more reliable to just spam shots and dodge, rather than trying to intentionally counter a specific attack. And once you pick up a Blood Rapture rune or two, trading health for blood bullets is no big deal and makes spamming even less problematic.

There are some enemies that I can parry just fine (like the churchy dudes with the lanterns and sticks), he just wasn't one of them. I probably could have beaten him without the gimmick eventually, but I didn't feel that the run to the fight was respectful of my time.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Yeah i wasn't a fan of the Father G fight either as a first boss fight. The guy had huge leaps, huge AoE swipes, ton of damage, could stun lock you to ridiculous degrees (stun lock is a problem in general with this game compared to Dark Souls), and the terrain kept screwing me up by blocking me with gravestones I couldn't see behind me (all the guides say to use the stones to block him, but they screwed me way more than helped, and the fight was a lot easier when I took it up the stairs to the balcony). At the very, very least they could have made him closer to a lantern.

I had zero issue with cheesing him and calling in summoned help. Afterwards, it was very therapeutic to answer a dozen summon requests to gang up 3on1 against him.

I still say the difficulty is too front loaded. The first area and first two bosses are a lot tougher than the stuff that follows. BSB is a cakewalk compared to Father G, as is those tall cane dudes in the cathedral compared to the townsperson mobs. The only thing that makes the next area any challenge at all is that very annoying "rooftop mini-boss".

And yeah parrying is unreliable and could have been handled better. There's no clear tell for which attacks can be parried at all and what the window is. Finding out is pure trial and error and you're going to die and go back to the lantern for every error, not even knowing is an attack is unparryable or if you just missed the window.

MrBody on
  • Options
    That's because people tried to fight him like it's Dark Souls. You got to get up in there and fight him. You have like a billion invincibility frames, and you can just dodge through all of his attacks like you're made of mist. Gascoigne separates the hunters from the beasts!

• Options
    I sure could have used invincibility frames against him!

Half the time I tried to dodge, he would hit me anyway because his swings were so wide and long. And one hit usually initiated the stun lock of doom.

• Options
    Yeah, and at the point I was fighting him I didn't have the stamina for that. Staying in close probably works well in a new game plus, but in the beginning I didn't have enough stamina to both dodge and attack without having a recovery period and dadwolf doesn't give you any of those.

What is the rooftop miniboss you're talking about?

• Options
    edited February 2018
    LD50 wrote: »
    Yeah, and at the point I was fighting him I didn't have the stamina for that. Staying in close probably works well in a new game plus, but in the beginning I didn't have enough stamina to both dodge and attack without having a recovery period and dadwolf doesn't give you any of those.

What is the rooftop miniboss you're talking about?

Remember the gatling gun asshole shooting at you as you made your way to the Blood Starved Beast? You can get up on the roof and kill him.

And in general, if you're having trouble with something just remember: you are the hunter. They are your prey. They should be afraid of you. Play with that in mind and you will be victorious.

HeraldS on
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    That was a key aspect of the Devil May Cry games, that endless aggression was rewarded rather than sitting back and waiting for windows.

Bloodborne feels like a proof of concept and I wish they'd make a sequel perfecting the experiment. A lot of the time it feels like it got stuck shifting gears from Dark Souls to Devil May Cry. It wants to be like DMC but it's still held back by Souls controls and camera.

I just don't remember the camera and controls being as much of an issue with the first Dark Souls, whereas it's been by far my greatest enemy in BB. It might be because I played DS on PC and remapped the target lock to the left stick; it's so much clunkier using the (default, unchangeable) right stick for it. When you're fighting one of the larger bosses and they lunge at you, it's not the lunge I fear so much as the camera going apeshit when they get close and fill the screen. It's especially bad on large bosses with a huge "feathery" mass like the Cleric Beast and Vicar.

I also don't remember the "hop dodge" in DS. A dodge was always a roll whether you were locked on or not. In BB I purposely try not to lock on just so I keep using the roll dodge instead of the hop, which is inadequate most of the time. But if you're not locked on when you attack you're usually going to miss on all but the widest arc attacks, and ALL non-area ranged attacks.

MrBody on
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    I was backseat gaming on my missus while she played and she said fine, you show me how to do Gas. She saw me fight Gascoigne and he only landed 1 hit on me because I got sloppy she reluctantly said she was impressed. Parry system breaks this game so much haha.

Still no booty that night though, what do I gotta do? :(

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Everytime I click this thread and don't see news of a sequel, a tiny little bit of me dies inside. One day. One day...

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    They'll make a sequel to this game right after they finish that demons souls sequel, aka never.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    For sure they're going to make a sequel soon because I finally broke down and bought a PS4 just for this (and Persona 5) thinking it was the only way. So OF COURSE they'll announce a sequel and PC version soon after I make the commitment.

But first...when the HELL are they going to put up Metal Wolf Chaos for digital distribution? Not exporting that game is still one of the biggest console localization mysteries ever. It was a game ABOUT America already voiced in English.

MrBody on
  • Options
    At this point I rather have another regular Armored Core but that's a fantasy considering

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    At this point I rather have another regular Armored Core but that's a fantasy considering

An armored core with current hardware would be so amazing. Dark souls is my jam (tattooed on my body) but I love giant robots as well and there is a serious dearth right now.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    MrBody wrote: »
    That was a key aspect of the Devil May Cry games, that endless aggression was rewarded rather than sitting back and waiting for windows.

Bloodborne feels like a proof of concept and I wish they'd make a sequel perfecting the experiment. A lot of the time it feels like it got stuck shifting gears from Dark Souls to Devil May Cry. It wants to be like DMC but it's still held back by Souls controls and camera.

I just don't remember the camera and controls being as much of an issue with the first Dark Souls, whereas it's been by far my greatest enemy in BB. It might be because I played DS on PC and remapped the target lock to the left stick; it's so much clunkier using the (default, unchangeable) right stick for it. When you're fighting one of the larger bosses and they lunge at you, it's not the lunge I fear so much as the camera going apeshit when they get close and fill the screen. It's especially bad on large bosses with a huge "feathery" mass like the Cleric Beast and Vicar.

I also don't remember the "hop dodge" in DS. A dodge was always a roll whether you were locked on or not. In BB I purposely try not to lock on just so I keep using the roll dodge instead of the hop, which is inadequate most of the time. But if you're not locked on when you attack you're usually going to miss on all but the widest arc attacks, and ALL non-area ranged attacks.

Don't use lock-on for the biggest beasts (Cleric Beast, Amelia, Paarl, etc). Focus on their feet and roll through them when they ground pound. Lock-on is best for humanoid enemies or bosses w/ specific weak points like Amy.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Honestly, with a lot of the boss fights I went in with the idea that the best defense was swinging my blade wildly through my enemies face and drinking their sweet, sweet blood down even as they tried to tear me limb from limb.

It works on some more than others. I did parry Gascoigne a fair amount as I recall. Honestly parrying is sometimes literally hit or miss with me, the timing sometimes just seems really weird for no good reason.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    So another progress report:

Since last episode I have descended into the woods looking for byrgenwerth but got sidetracked by the pathway back to yharnam. I also talked to a guy in a shack in the woods and got the tonsil stone (plus some directions). With a little help from G&T I found my way to cainhurst and the lecture hall's first floor. In cainhurst I got to the boss but turned around because I didn't have anything that was dealing damage to him, but I found the executioner's gloves which have been my number one way of dealing with pesky enemies. I made it through the short lecture hall and went to the 'outside' area, which was some bullshit but I persevered and killed amygdala.

I went back to the woods and fought the shadow of yharnam (which I'm not really sure what they were supposed to be). Snakes were a bit unexpected but not unwelcome. I went to Byrgenwerth and fought Rom the Spider and lost pretty badly, so I went back to the dream and went into the pthumeru chalice, cleared the first chalice and then the second one (central I think) and nabed a few other chalices I haven't used yet. I got some new fire runes that fit into radial sockets which I didn't have any of before. I also found a bolt gem somewhere and I put it in the tonitrus, which helped with killing the spider adds in Rom's fight. I fought Rom and managed to kill him finally. I went to Yahar'gul, and while the bell ladies in the chalice dungeons weren't too bad, I really do not appreciate them in this area. I fought through and made it to the One Reborn which I killed without much trouble. I used the key I found in Yahar'gul and went to the upper cathedral district where I fought the Celestial guy who went down like a punk, and then broke the window (which I almost didn't see, what an asshole move to put only one breakable window in the whole game; thanks whoever put the message down) I then fought Ebrietas who was easy to kill with the spell I picked up right before his fight.

I noticed that there is a giant spider behind where Ebrietas was, that looks like Rom. There is a prompt to interact with it but it doesn't do anything which is curious.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Go back to Cainhurst and you'll be back on the path to figuring out what's up with that mini-Rom.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Go back to Cainhurst and you'll be back on the path to figuring out what's up with that mini-Rom.

Yeah, that's next on my list of things to do I think. I think I might be able to fight Logarius now. I think I was just too underleveled and under upgraded. I didn't have problems avoiding his attacks, I just did so little damage with each hit that it wasn't something I was going to sit through. Worst case I have A Call Beyond now, and I can just spam that.

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Tip for Logarius - when he plants his sword in the ground, kill it.

Also you're making really good time through the game :D

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680