As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Super Best Friends Play] i have to arrest myself for honking my own dick

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    oh come on

shitty tropes and references regarding that subject matter absolutely warp back around to affect how people interact and treat tangentially related minorities

much like how crossdresser and trans people are not in fact the same and yet a misinformed and phobic public will conflate the two at frequent opportunities

the treatment of a character who is a boy in girl's clothing will absolutely come back around to affect the perceptions of some people and if you don't think there are people who would think that being trans is just some coping mechanism for being bullied or even that it's understandable why someone would murder him or fucking whatever is just like

get over your affection for the game or your technical need to pedantically represent everything or even your confidence that because you didn't see it that way other people won't, jesus

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Basically, the thing has proven to be offensive towards some people's sensibilities towards trans issues because even if the character is technically not trans the game still invokes imagery and tropes linked to harmful attitudes about trans people or cross dressers.

so, even though it actually has nothing to do with the issue, people get upset about it because they think it has something to do with the issue?

that is definitely the internet

Can we not?

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    People flipping out and acting disgusted when they see a penis is very much a trans issue. Just like Kanji not actually turning out gay in P4 doesn't make his story meaningless towards gay issues. And considering trans members of this very community have been bothered by the way this game handles the situation in the past(see the DR thread I made last year for example) I'm gonna go ahead and defer to actual trans people over either you or me.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Basically, the thing has proven to be offensive towards some people's sensibilities towards trans issues because even if the character is technically not trans the game still invokes imagery and tropes linked to harmful attitudes about trans people or cross dressers.

so, even though it actually has nothing to do with the issue, people get upset about it because they think it has something to do with the issue?

Things tangential to an issue inadvertently reinforcing harmful stereotypes is absolutely a thing, Pip, don't be a goose.

it is not tangential, and arguing it is is goddamn offensive

the character is not trans, and actually gets uncomfortable when people refer to him in the wrong gender

if you wanna argue that the game's handling of gender stereotypes are an issue, ok

but that is the fucking concept behind the character

they're the kindest character that gets treated like shit, and then gets killed, and that is absolutely done on purpose

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    skip

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Things tangential to an issue inadvertently reinforcing harmful stereotypes is absolutely a thing, Pip, don't be a goose.

it is not tangential, and arguing it is is goddamn offensive

the character is not trans, and actually gets uncomfortable when people refer to him in the wrong gender

if you wanna argue that the game's handling of gender stereotypes are an issue, ok

but that is the fucking concept behind the character

they're the kindest character that gets treated like shit, and then gets killed, and that is absolutely done on purpose

Non-trans characters that display outside the traditional gender binary absolutely have something to do with trans issues, duder.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited January 2016
    ignore

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I'm gonna bow out of making any more comments on the matter myself but I will leave a link to the SA-LP of the game that's currently ongoing right now for those that don't have a PSP and want to see the story for themselves. If you're impatient, the LP Archive has a completed and translated LP of the Japanese version of the game here. It's worth a look if just to see why Woolie and Liam bothered with Ultra Despair Girls in the first place.

• Options
    Ongoing? The DR1 LP ended a while ago. Is the DR2 one still ongoing?

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Liam can keep hyping these up as much as he wants

That Danganronpa LP unsold me on this series pretty hard

I dunno, that's kind of like Metal Gear Acid souring you on the mainline MGS games.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Ongoing? The DR1 LP ended a while ago. Is the DR2 one still ongoing?

The DR2-LP ended prematurely for reasons I'm not sure of. The current DR1 happening at the forum is based on the American version of the game.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    As an aside. I apologize for calling the character trans as that was an inaccurate and lazy way to describe the situation.

What I was originally getting at was that though the DR games don't get nearly as gross as UDG, they still have their fair share of the same problems a lot of JRPGs have towards issues of gender and sexuality so there's a chance someone checking them out can still find stuff that they find problematic.

I like them despite their issues but I wouldn't fault someone for going NOPE.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    As an aside. I apologize for calling the character trans as that was an inaccurate and lazy way to describe the situation.

What I was originally getting at was that though the DR games don't get nearly as gross as UDG, they still have their fair share of the same problems a lot of JRPGs have towards issues of gender and sexuality so there's a chance someone checking them out can still find stuff that they find problematic.

all of this I can get behind

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Basically something can still be transmisogynistic even if it doesn't technically involve trans people.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    "I find [DKC Tropical Freeze's] soundtrack to be incredibly overrated" - Pat

*avfaces*

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

*Deletes bitter post.*

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Would be nice to see Rebecca (and super cool guy Billy for that matter) in another Resident Evil.

I mean hell, if Barry can after like a thousand years of not being seen, why not?

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Oh my god.
    Liam: Oh Dangan Ronpa 2 is without a doubt above the first.

Pat: So I can just play the second one?

Liam: No. Ha ha.

But the best thing about it is that now you have two great games to play.

Pat: What? Not three?

Liam: ...

Two great games to play.

• Options
    Was that from a podcast or one of their videos?

• Options
    Their super on-time best games of 2014.

• Options
    Hey, speaking of Dangan Ronpa, it's coming to Steam in February. That's nice for folks that don't own a PSP.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Between THE RACE WAR STARTS NOW and Itachi/Kisame showing up there have been some good end of episodes lately.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Hey, speaking of Dangan Ronpa, it's coming to Steam in February. That's nice for folks that don't own a PSP.

Cool.

Super On-Time 2014 had Liam saying it was rumored, but it's cool to know for sure. I'll likely get SDR2, since I already know how the mystery ends in DR1.

And Japanese folks could get it on PSP. US only got Vita.

• Options
    Radius wrote: »
    Between THE RACE WAR STARTS NOW and Itachi/Kisame showing up there have been some good end of episodes lately.

i haven't been following naruto (because i already spend too much of my life watching youtube videos) which ep is that

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    oh MY GOD

Woolie: "You know somebody called me young Uncle Ruckus the other day."

• Options
    kids if you got an erection lasting more than 4 hours, you're awesome

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    if you got an erection longer than 4 hours, tell us how sick it was

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Richard Hawk did nothing wrong.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Radius wrote: »

i haven't been following naruto (because i already spend too much of my life watching youtube videos) which ep is that

It should be the end of Episode 3

Ugh, Pat is trying to convince them that training with the other characters doesn't do anything even though it is increasing all their stats, I hope they don't listen to him.

These canon corrections are great though.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Hooooooly crap at the ending to Metal Wolf Chaos. I did not think they could top the Fight House but boy was I wrong.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Metal Wolf Chaos sure is stupid.
    Michael Wilson 2016, he'll end white slavery and fight for our freedom with his own justice

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Guys the Zaibatsu is having the best Twitter bicker right now over the argument Pat started in the podcast about a Gundam's colour

Pat insists it's pink, the other three insist it's red

(as of right now Woolie's poll is dead even)

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I isolated and screenfilled it in Paint real quick, and I'd call that pink if I saw it in the street. But comicbook-pink, which means red like purple means black.

Edit:

lol

PLA on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    hahaha this is amazing

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Man, that Dagonronpa discussion made me glad that yall ain't in charge of creating media. Everything would be so stale, safe, and boring.

The world is a pretty shitty place. It's good to be reminded of that as we live comfortable lives where our biggest worry is whether or not a video game offends you.

• Options
    ur so hardcore

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Heh...if you aren't offending someone you're not doing it right imo B)

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Oh that's what that poll on Pat's Twitter was about. Really the color is a sort of salmon, which is somewhere between red and pink (which is where the argument comes from in the first place). It's basically a case of "Is this yellow or blue?"

darkGreenSquare.gif

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Oh that's what that poll on Pat's Twitter was about. Really the color is a sort of salmon, which is somewhere between red and pink (which is where the argument comes from in the first place). It's basically a case of "Is this yellow or blue?"

darkGreenSquare.gif

It's blue and black.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular

darkGreenSquare.gif

scrolling by fast I was really concerned this was supposed to be pink and this is how I discover I'm color blind

This discussion has been closed.