As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can I get THE WITNESS (oh can I get a Witness)

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    What do the logs look like. Where would the first be found? About 20 minutes in.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    What do the logs look like. Where would the first be found? About 20 minutes in.
    They look like dictaphones and have a bright green display. Interact with them the same way you would a puzzle to play them.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Fuckin color puzzles
    I got the elevator all the way up to the outside floor, there's no color fuckert anymore, I just gotta split the true colors up

And I can't figure it out!!

• Options
    AbsurdPropositionAbsurdProposition Registered User regular
    Yeah last night I got stuck in the same tetris puzzle area and decided to call it quits and explore elsewhere. There's just so much content in this game that whenever I feel like I'm getting flustered it's easy to walk away and try something else for a bit.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I've been banging my head against this snake puzzle for an hour total and it is actually trying to kill me
    ULPGgcj.jpg

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I'm stuck

Like, literally, actually stuck

As in, I cannot get out of this area I am in until I solve this puzzle, and I do not know how to solve it

Sigh

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I've been banging my head against this snake puzzle for an hour total and it is actually trying to kill me
    ULPGgcj.jpg

Oh man I loved that puzzle train.

Keep at it you'll figure it out!

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I just wrote up a post with pictures explaining why I was stuck on a particular puzzle and then solved it before hitting Post Reply. So... thanks, thread?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Yeah last night I got stuck in the same tetris puzzle area and decided to call it quits and explore elsewhere. There's just so much content in this game that whenever I feel like I'm getting flustered it's easy to walk away and try something else for a bit.

Until it backs you into a corner, like it just did with me
    MZyDfqtl.jpg

KTXttIal.jpg

The platform that carried me over here is immobile, solving it again does nothing

So basically the game has said "fuck you, solve one of those two puzzles or else your game ends in a dead state here" and I have no earthly clue how to solve either of these

• Options
    So far my biggest ah-HA! moment in the game has been figuring out the propeller symbol

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AbsurdPropositionAbsurdProposition Registered User regular

Until it backs you into a corner, like it just did with me
    MZyDfqtl.jpg

KTXttIal.jpg

The platform that carried me over here is immobile, solving it again does nothing

So basically the game has said "fuck you, solve one of those two puzzles or else your game ends in a dead state here" and I have no earthly clue how to solve either of these

This is where I was stuck last night, but the good news is there's a way back without solving either of these.
    you know the puzzle on the platform? It has two different solutions.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    It has to be more than two, because I've gotten two solutions and both keep me locked where I am

But I guess I'll keep throwing my head against it looking for a third

EDIT: Aaaaand I just got it, thanks!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    ULPGgcj.jpg

I loved that puzzle chain

A small hint, that may or may not be helpful depending on how much of the puzzle's hook you've figured out
    Whichever starting spot you choose, that snake will be the white one.

The last couple of puzzles in that sequence made me go, "Oh, FUCK you" once I realized what Blow was doing to me.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    It has to be more than two, because I've gotten two solutions and both keep me locked where I am

But I guess I'll keep throwing my head against it looking for a third

EDIT: Aaaaand I just got it, thanks!

For the door pictured.
    Try putting the straight four piece on the left to start with.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Oh my god I just had the most face-slappingly "I'm so stupid" moment when I finally figured out that one green panel that
    has a small L Tetris piece and a single square to the upper right of it

Oh my god

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ULPGgcj.jpg

I loved that puzzle chain

A small hint, that may or may not be helpful depending on how much of the puzzle's hook you've figured out
    Whichever starting spot you choose, that snake will be the white one.

The last couple of puzzles in that sequence made me go, "Oh, FUCK you" once I realized what Blow was doing to me.
    I've figured out that much, I just can't get everything to line up right that I could finish it

I always lock myself out of either one of the dots or the exit

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    The puzzles in the
    tree tops/tree houses area where you build bridges with them and such

are my favourites so far. Just a constant stream of quick "dang I have no ide-OH WAIT" moments over and over. Hook that feeling right into my veins

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    The tutorializing in this game is hot and cold from "fucking fuck i don't know what the fuck to do i hate this dumb shitty game" to "I DID IT I'M THE GREATEST PUT ME ON A POSTER WITH MY TONGUE STICKING OUT CAUSE I'M THE NEW EINSTEIN"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Is there a way to turn down the look speed? It's already pretty slow but it's still managing to make my girlfriend nauseous.

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to turn down the look speed? It's already pretty slow but it's still managing to make my girlfriend nauseous.

Apparently this is a common problem and they're working on a fix.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

That's odd to me, cause I'm dying to be able to turn it UP

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    rhylith wrote: »

That's odd to me, cause I'm dying to be able to turn it UP

I agree, but I am bred for this. She simply is not built for games of any kind. I was hoping this would be the one but...

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i feel like i have found every tetris puzzle in the first little areas other than the one that actually teaches you tetris

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Hmm

Well, I solved this one, but now I'm not sure how and it's completely fucked my understanding of previous puzzles of this type
    hmDZnsF.jpg?1

My previous understanding of this was that the piece you sectioned off with the line could contain that shape and only that shape, unless it was in junction with another shape

I don't even know what the fuck to make of this

I'm not sure how those two top squares are even factoring into the solution, the block of four and the block of two don't even reach up there

Can the shapes just be anywhere on the grid?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    i feel like i have found every tetris puzzle in the first little areas other than the one that actually teaches you tetris

Location spoilers
    The tetris tutorials are in the section with the pools of colored water

• Options
    Hmm

Well, I solved this one, but now I'm not sure how and it's completely fucked my understanding of previous puzzles of this type
    hmDZnsF.jpg?1

My previous understanding of this was that the piece you sectioned off with the line could contain that shape and only that shape, unless it was in junction with another shape

I'm not sure how those two top squares are even factoring into the solution, the block of four and the block of two don't even reach up there

The sectioned off piece has to include the square showing the shape, but otherwise yes. So a block of four plus a block of two equals a block of six equals the solution to panels one and two.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Hmm

hmDZnsF.jpg?1

Basically yes
    The sectioned off area only has to be a combination of the shapes it contains

That's why 1 and 2 can use the same solution

• Options
    David_T wrote: »
    Hmm

hmDZnsF.jpg?1

The sectioned off piece has to include the square showing the shape, but otherwise yes. So a block of four plus a block of two equals a block of six equals the solution to panels one and two.
    Can a square be part of two separate shapes? I'm guessing no, but I'm still really stumped on those two puzzles up the stairs that I posted

• Options
    Hmm

hmDZnsF.jpg?1

Can a square be part of two separate shapes? I'm guessing no, but I'm still really stumped on those two puzzles up the stairs that I posted
    What do you mean? Both of the solutions you posted only have the square in one shape

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Hmm

hmDZnsF.jpg?1

What do you mean? Both of the solutions you posted only have the square in one shape
    I mean can one square on the grid be a square in two different Tetris pieces

• Options
    edited January 2016
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Hmm

hmDZnsF.jpg?1

I mean can one square on the grid be a square in two different Tetris pieces

No

AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    My kingdom for a fast forward button

You move so painfully slow in this game (even when sprinting) and having to wait for this platform to move across the river is sooooo slow

The Talos Principle really spoiled me with this kinda thing

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Hmm

hmDZnsF.jpg?1

Think of it almost in terms of the Resident Evil suitcase minigame. You're sectioning off pieces of the puzzle that can be covered in the shapes listed. So the door you posted, for instance, start with putting the four piece tower on the very left and then try to place the other two pieces so they cover the bottom right and top right corners.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Explaining things in terms of Resident Evil 4 is maybe the most useful thing somebody can do

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Ughhhhh
    JcZ2bxD.jpg

I don't see why the rules don't apply to this one

Everything within the outline is kosher

There are 7 squares, four vertical, two horizontal, one single, contained in the shape, and it contains all the Tetris symbols

It's been no different from the previous terminals except for the fact that it doesn't work

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    You have a 4 line piece in a 1 square box, for starters. The borders of the puzzle count as a wall for all intents

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    You have a 4 line piece in a 1 square box, for starters. The borders of the puzzle count as a wall for all intents

It seems like you can't flip the pieces horizontally, though

So for example, that vertical line of four, I can't truly Resident Evil that and switch it to a horizontal line of four

I don't see how in the world it could be possible to group seven boxes together encompassing all three shapes without traveling along the walls and it counting as a break

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular

So for example, that vertical line of four, I can't truly Resident Evil that and switch it to a horizontal line of four

I don't see how in the world it could be possible to group seven boxes together encompassing all three shapes without traveling along the walls and it counting as a break

Do the shapes all have to be in the same group?

No I don't.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Yes, apparently, because I guess the puzzle border counts as a wall

I'm honestly actually prettttty close to just dropping the game

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular

Yes, apparently, because I guess the puzzle border counts as a wall

I'm honestly actually prettttty close to just dropping the game
    No, they do not. However, the shapes do need to be contained somewhere withing the group that contains their block.

No I don't.