As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Indie Game Thread where we discuss genre name semantics

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    What if the ground was suddenly gone???

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Or something as simple as "Shared Sky".

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    "To Boldly Go"
    I can see CBS getting real pissed about that one

They're real litigious

Yeah, most of the good ones are copyrighted.

What about just "The Sky"

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The Sky is too vague and doesn't sound cool, I think

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    What if the ground was suddenly gone???

I think that's a cool idea for a movie and would definitely watch it if doing so were no effort (eg, Netflix)
    The Sky is too vague and doesn't sound cool, I think

True. You know what a cool name is? No Man's Sky. That's what's so annoying.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    It's just an annoying thing that comes from us having ended up with "man" also commonly meaning "person" for reasons that I would assume boil down to the past being even more patriarchal.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Space Biff

broken image link
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Homestuck sequel really ran out of ideas.

• Options
    There is biffing in No Man's Sky aka Space Biff, right?

broken image link
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    "Biff your way to the center of the galaxy to meet up with the All-Biff and download the entire Codex of Biffing" is the back of the box synopsis, yeah.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Too Much Space

• Options
    What is sky was the real land?

Skylanders

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Oh if a team of Sony marketing people got their hands on No Man's Sky it would 1000% be called "Spacecraft"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    If that means I get to discover a planet of Drobots, I'm in

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Oh if a team of Sony marketing people got their hands on No Man's Sky it would 1000% be called "Spacecraft"

One thing they've said about the game that I appreciate is that there's no "build a shelter" type stuff, because you're not supposed to have a home base or dick around on one planet. Your shelter is your ship.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    It's just an annoying thing that comes from us having ended up with "man" also commonly meaning "person" for reasons that I would assume boil down to the past being even more patriarchal.

It's actually more of the opposite! "Man" used to refer more generically to all of human kind ("woman" comes from a term that meant "female human") and then took on the connotation of males specifically later. Of course the underlying reason for that is probably still patriarchal.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Tube wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »

One thing they've said about the game that I appreciate is that there's no "build a shelter" type stuff, because you're not supposed to have a home base or dick around on one planet. Your shelter is your ship.

Yeah, the survival stuff is mostly short-term

Like if it's super cold and you're about to die of Too Cold, you can blow a hole in a nearby hill or mountain and hide out in there til you're charged back up

Other than that, you're always on the move

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The thing that really got me interested in NMS is the language stuff

That whole mechanic sounds really really cool

• Options
    I'm trying to figure out how to wedge "drifter" into the title, because I feel like that's a pretty good word to sum up the feel that No Man's Sky is going for.

Space Drifter

Sky Drifter

Star Drifter

Starship Drifter

doesn't quite work tho

• Options
    Well, That's Why They Call It Space

broken image link
  • Options
    The game is also by and large inspired by the aesthetic of classic sci-fi paperback novels

"No Man's Sky" fits right in with stuff like "The Stars My Destination" as a title

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out how to wedge "drifter" into the title, because I feel like that's a pretty good word to sum up the feel that No Man's Sky is going for.

Space Drifter

Sky Drifter

Star Drifter

Starship Drifter

doesn't quite work tho

http://store.steampowered.com/app/259450/

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Stardrift

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Stardrift

I like this one

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Beyond the Sky

The Wild Black Yonder

Weightless

Amidst a Star-Filled Sky

Into the Heavens

• Options
    Space Roadtrip

• Options
    I feel like a lot of people are going to be disappointed in NMS because they've decided it's going to be something else in their head.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Tube wrote: »
    I feel like a lot of people are going to be disappointed in NMS because they've decided it's going to be something else in their head.

I think it's going to be a fps spore mixed with minecraft.

Which, if so, means I really shouldn't buy it.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    "The Sky" sounds horrible from a search engine optimization perspective
    cB557 wrote: »

it's because of Manus, the primeval man

and I'm only slightly joking there

in Old English "man" was primarily used to referred to human males and secondarily to humans in general, with "wer" being used to refer to men specifically (hence werewolves)
    women were "guma", survives in "bridegroom" (and I'm gonna guess probably in stuff like the Swedish word "gumma"?) scratch that, misread the article, "guma" also means "man" in the specific sense
    IIRC "women" might come from "wyf"/wife, although that's quoting from memory rather than research

it's more than a little old-fashioned, but you do still see "man" used in a general "human" sense now and again - mostly in older terms like "no man's land", although sometimes people bring up "mankind" which is a bit eh or the Tolkien-inspired way of referring to humankind as capital-M Man (cf. Imperium of Man) which is even more eh

but basically it's been a somewhat general term for humans in general for probably as long as English has been a thing

linguistics!

also note that there are germanic languages that actually separate the two meanings completely - the German "Mensch" comes to mind

Neveron on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    The best parts of mine craft for me are those first few day/night cycles where you're scrambling to survive in a weird unfamiliar place

That basically the vibe I want out of nms (and also why every survival game has fallen flat with me except The Long Dark: eventually it's not hard to just coast)

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I eventually ended up enjoying generating new worlds and seeing what sort of landmasses and geography I ended up with in Minecraft rather than doing any large scale building of my own.

• Options
    I would like to see planets that are purple

I would like to see some planets that are blue

If they could give me some planets that have more of an orange-ish hue, that would be cool too

Also I want to see a turtle

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I mostly want to do the thing they showed off where you get in your ship, fly up, go into space, see the now-tiny planet you were just on below you, then go into hyperspace and arrive at another planet before landing on it. All seamlessly. Anything in addition to that is bonus.

Like, I don't know how long doing that and only that would keep me entertained for but space is enough of my jam that I'm betting at least several hours.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    I mostly want to do the thing they showed off where you get in your ship, fly up, go into space, see the now-tiny planet you were just on below you, then go into hyperspace and arrive at another planet before landing on it. All seamlessly. Anything in addition to that is bonus.

Like, I don't know how long doing that and only that would keep me entertained for but space is enough of my jam that I'm betting at least several hours.

I have obsessively watched footage of this game for years and it is still astonishing every time they leave the atmosphere into space and vice versa

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Get Lost

or the more edgy

Fuck Off

forumsig.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    safe space

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Untamed Sky, maybe?

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »

Like, they added planets to Elite and I've done it a lot and it still blows my fucking mind every time. When they add atmosphere planets and garden worlds it'll blow my mind even more.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    darleysam wrote: »
    Get Lost

or the more edgy

Fuck Off

Up: Yours

Prolegomena on
This discussion has been closed.