As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Splatoon] Kid/Squid color coating warfare with style!

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    It's a slim margin every time. Because the matchmaking puts teams of equal skill against each other

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    Pulp Wins 2-1.

No Pulp won the popular vote at a whopping 67% of the players though.

This makes sense. Kids definitely prefer not to have pulp most of the time!

Hah! Y'know my local grocery store hasn't stocked pulpy OJ in, I'm not even sure how long, years I guess.

I know I had a lot of mirror matches this go around. Which I guess counts as nothing to the overall score. Out of about 20-ish matches I had I think only 3 of them were against the opposing team.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Wasn't that often the case for Splatoon 1's splatfests? If one side was disproportionately popular, they'd usually lose the battles because of matchmaking and mirror-matches.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Popular Vote vs Minority Vote standings

NA/OC: Popular wins 4-2
    EU: Popular win 4-2
    Japan: Minority wins 8-5
    NA/OC/EU: Minority Wins 6-1
    Global: Minority Wins 1-0

Minority Vote leads 19-14 in Splatfests

The minority vote won six times thanks to the elimination Splatfests, before that, the score was 14-13 for the popular vote.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    New update is out. A new hotel map, four weapons, and a new Grizzco gear to get.

The new slosher has near charger range, it's going to be interesting going up against it with the new Splatling.

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    I'm liking the new Splatling so far. Being able to ink the ground in front of you has been something these weapons have been lacking, and it opens up a lot more movement options.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Okay I ended up on the winning team for the splatfest... But where do I go to get the rewards?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Okay I ended up on the winning team for the splatfest... But where do I go to get the rewards?

You should receive a cache of Super Sea Snails when you log in. Then you can use said snails for Murch's services.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    The exploshers feels like it was made for Splatzones. The ink it leaves behind after the explosions are very large, and with the range it has you can contest the zone relatively safely from most weapons while behind cover. You can also toss a sprinkler before using the bubble special to help pop them.

Where it doesn't excel at is in close 1v1 battles, it's shots are so slow while you have limiter movement, which leaves you dead if anything gets close. The shot itself does 55dmg, while the explosions do 35dmg and if you aim your shots at an players feet, you can get both hits to deal 90.

I've been doing well with it from high positions, as the massive ink it leaves behind can trap players in its' circle letting you get an easy kill. The shot you lob travels through grates, so it's tough to kill players who are standing on one.

Edit: You can't pop the bubbles in one shot with object shredder, darn.

MetaHybrid on
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    War never changes.

If you pick Octopus, you get turned into an Octoling if you're an Inkling.

edzepp on
  • Options
    I don't... think you fully thought this idea through Nintendo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuP-Nv3hX4E

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Eh, I'm sure they'll write around the implications somehow. It's just funny to me.

edzepp on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I got a Switch a couple weeks ago and can't stop playing this game. And collecting cute outfits.

Is there a reason to move away from the first roller? It's all I've used (outside of testing) and I seem to be rocking 1st or 2nd place in points most games. It's a monster.

• Options
    Depends on your mood, really. They all have slightly different functions and play styles.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    edzepp wrote: »
    Depends on your mood, really. They all have slightly different functions and play styles.

I guess my question is more whether there's a linear progression in damage, or if every single weapon down to the starter Splattershot Jr is (intended to be) equal, just different to play with. The weapon 'classes' for sure play different roles on the field.

Edit: Also, does the running speed upgrade affect speed when actively rolling the roller?

Suriko on
  • Options
    The weapons are intended to all be viable, but under different roles. And there are weapons that are identical to each other, but just have a different sub/special loadout. There are no straight-up undebatable upgrades; the first weapon you get can well be be the one that carries you forever.

As an example, all Rollers you'll find fit into one of 4 categories:

The basic Splat Rollers, which include the one you have now, and the Krak-On Splat Roller, which is the same weapon with a different sub/special loadout.
    Carbon Rollers, which sacrifice raw power (you can't just run someone over) for high speed when flicking
    Dynamo Rollers, which sacrifice speed for raw power and the size of the ink splash
    And Flingza Rollers, which optimize themselves for the range of the vertical ink flick.

All of these fit into their own strategic niche, and you won't find two Rollers in the same category that have different stats for the main weapon.

• Options
    Suriko wrote: »

I guess my question is more whether there's a linear progression in damage, or if every single weapon down to the starter Splattershot Jr is (intended to be) equal, just different to play with. The weapon 'classes' for sure play different roles on the field.

Edit: Also, does the running speed upgrade affect speed when actively rolling the roller?

Run speed abilities don't affect brushes or rollers when rolling.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    MetaHybrid wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »

Run speed abilities don't affect brushes or rollers when rolling.

Huh, did they in the first game, or am I misremembering?

Edit: checks inkipedia... yep, looks like I was incorrect. I must've gotten some bad advice online somewhere. Ah well, I didn't really use rollers much anyways (more of a fan of Splattershot Pros, Splatlings, and Aerosprays when I just wanted to cover a lot of turf).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

You should receive a cache of Super Sea Snails when you log in. Then you can use said snails for Murch's services.

Sorry, where do I find Murch?

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Enlong wrote: »

Sorry, where do I find Murch?

Go down the path where the Octo Expansion train stop is, he'll be sitting on a bench outside the Lobby doors.

fusewKa.jpg?1

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Oh hey, they announced what the Pearl & Marina amiibos do.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Are the amiibos this generation actually... obtainable?

Also how is the standard Switch controller for this? The workaround to use my WII U Pro controller might take a month to arrive... or not.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Also how is the standard Switch controller for this? The workaround to use my WII U Pro controller might take a month to arrive... or not.

Much like every controller since the N64, people either love it or think it's a blight upon the land. The Joy-Cons vs Pro Controller are no different. Unfortunately, it'll be a YMMV situation. :/

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

I don't find it the most comfortable thing (the hand grips could be angled out more), but it is acceptable enough for me. That said, if I ever get around to buying a Pro controller I'll probably never go back as I found the Wii U one super comfortable.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Axen wrote: »

I don't find it the most comfortable thing (the hand grips could be angled out more), but it is acceptable enough for me. That said, if I ever get around to buying a Pro controller I'll probably never go back as I found the Wii U one super comfortable.

Yeah I loved the WII U one which is why I bought a dongle to use it with the Switch rather than buy a Switch Pro Controller. If it ever arrives from Hong Kong I'll be super happy.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Just beat Octo Expansion.

My right forearm is sore...but not quite as sore as right after I beat Cuphead, I think.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular

I primarily play with my joycon connected to my switch. It works just fine. But when I play with my friends Pro Controller, oh my god, it is so good. I've never felt like I am at a disadvantage because of my joycon usage, and much of it is adaptation and just knowing how to work with it, but if you have the means, a Pro-Controller is the way to go.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

My right forearm is sore...but not quite as sore as right after I beat Cuphead, I think.
    Did you beat the Octo Expansion, or beat the Octo Expansion? If you haven't, once you've gotten all 80 mem cakes (faded memories don't count) there's something special awaiting you at the intro station. Follow the shine to the lockers.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Did you beat the Octo Expansion, or beat the Octo Expansion? If you haven't, once you've gotten all 80 mem cakes (faded memories don't count) there's something special awaiting you at the intro station. Follow the shine to the lockers.

That said, I wouldn't begrudge anyone not doing that. There's a reward for doing it, but not necessarily one whose value is in line with what it's going to take you to 100% the expansion.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I "beat" Octo Expansion last night, and man, what a great finale! The whole sequence leading up to the end was just fantastic, some of the best stuff in the game in terms of atmosphere and music and gameplay. I literally lost track of time while playing it, which hasn't happened in a long time.

Can't wait to go back and get all of my missing Mem Cakes.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kijnyfoRk4g
    It's weird seeing squid-speak lyrics coming from actual human beings. Also man I would love to get that Octotune soundtrack set.

• Options
  • Options
    Is that meant to be a tiny bath or a urinal? Talk about taking the piss...

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    Is that meant to be a tiny bath or a urinal? Talk about taking the piss...
    A Jacuzzi-style tub with water jets.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Ok, so a multi-shot bucket and a splatling you can hold charge with while swimming?
    I can see the potential…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Someone told me it looks like a bidet.

• Options
    Oh dear. Looks like this weekend there’s going to be a Salmon Run shift where *everyone* gets a GrizzCo weapon.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Sweet catharsis.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Got 'em! At much less than expected too, $21 Aus is nuts, the RRP is $35.
    up6vc1auwjz8.jpg

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png