As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] A new chapter is out

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Planning on running a LS sith warrior and darkish smuggler once double xp goes live. Probably only OG story. I'll also sub for 1 month to get a few things taken care of, I think.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    So I'd been wondering what set bonus to give my Serenity Jedi Shadow. All of the set bonuses she could get don't really jive with both my playstyle and her character, though, and I don't want her to not be Serenity because that's the closest the Shadow class gets to feeling like "Jedi Master". And this is a class main; i.e., she's my most important Consular, and the one that whole storyline (bland as it was) happened to. (The mirror image, Hatred Assassin, was easy to do because the character is my harem-building alternate-universe Darth Fuckboy, so I gave him the Taskmaster set, which makes your companions more effective.)

Then I remembered a part her characterization I'd almost forgot. She's a Jedi Shadow mechanically, yes, but in-story she's a member of the Jedi Shadows, a sort of internal affairs/secret police combination (at least in my headcanon). They watch for the dark side being used by other Jedi, and membership in the Shadows is, while not technically a secret, never played up by the members; a lot of Jedi don't realize that a Jedi they know is a Shadow. Most people outside the Order don't even know the Shadows exist.

Anyway, to facilitate that and the many roles she must play in the story, my Serenity Shadow becomes adept at wearing masks. We all wear masks depending on who we talk to, of course, but my Serenity Shadow consciously does so, and excels at it. Technically Serenity is her default spec; in story she could be anything, changing specs as necessary. But Serenity is the stoic but polite "classic" Jedi Master persona she prefers to show. She can also pretend to be a friendly, outgoing, even vivacious diplomat who at the same time has no compunctions about putting her body between a delegation and harm (and kicking the shit out of the harm). Or she could be someone who wouldn't look out of place in a swoop gang, whom you wouldn't even suspect of being Force-sensitive until she pulled out her lightsaber.

And that made me realize that rather than going for a single set, she could go for a 2-piece bonus from three sets, representing her "personalities". (I chose Taskmaster, Stimulated, and Stationary Grit. These are all sets that give bonus alacrity for 2-piece, as that helps with DoTs, which Serenity focuses on. But also Taskmaster, i.e. Jedi Master; Stimulated, representing Deception by invoking a street tough who relies on stims to give a combat edge; and Stationary Grit, which of course fits thematically if not mechanically with someone who stands their ground to defend others.)

Shadowen on
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    So what's the deal with people buying the random set-bonus drops from Veteran FPs that have a max level of 74? I just sold one for 17 million credits. Am I missing something, because they seem not usable at endgame?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    So what's the deal with people buying the random set-bonus drops from Veteran FPs that have a max level of 74? I just sold one for 17 million credits. Am I missing something, because they seem not usable at endgame?

Wait, what? How do you sell those, aren't they bound? And yeah, they're unusable at endgame so there's something going on I don't understand... maybe people are using them to raid on lower level characters, having something to do with the changes in master mode boost?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Wait, what? How do you sell those, aren't they bound? And yeah, they're unusable at endgame so there's something going on I don't understand... maybe people are using them to raid on lower level characters, having something to do with the changes in master mode boost?

There are definitely some BoE level 50-74 drops. Most are listed for six figures but some for millions and this one I tossed up to undercut at 17 million. Seems daft to me. Maybe the game doesn't unequip it if you're wearing it when you turn 75 and this is a quicker path to set bonus than saving up tech fragments?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Heh. Was playing tonight/this morning and saw that I seemed to be gaining renown levels faster than I was last time I played the character (i.e. Monday night) while doing the same things. I know that they did a reorg of the conquest stuff and I figured maybe that was contributing, as I was getting a lot more conquest objectives due to there being a bunch of new or reworked ones.

Then I remembered: double XP.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Speaking of--double XP is being continued until June 16th, and the May the 4th celebration includes an unlocks sale and if you log in you get a free astromech pet.

And on top of that, they released all the music from the game on Youtube, including the stuff from expansions which I don't think has ever had an official release before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSN12LP0U4M&list=PLiJsK_sFeeKygEepqlUoXIBwcyeGfXrXx&index=35

Shadowen on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Finally finished the Agent story line.

Really fun. One minor quibble:
    I guess the brainwashing happened while the Agent was on 'shore leave' between chapter 1 and 2, but since you never have to move away from your communication center to transition to the new chapter, it makes that entire part of the plot more than a bit awkward.

"We spent about a month injecting you with drugs, conditioning your mind, and programming it to be accessed by a code word."
    "...a month? Really? I never even moved from this spot. I started a new conversation with the new Keeper about 20 seconds after the previous conversation ended."
    "Oh, um... look, over there!"

I have 3/4 Empire stories done. Working on a Sith Pureblood lightning spec Sorcerer. Lots of zapping. And snark.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Finally finished the Agent story line.

Really fun. One minor quibble:
    I guess the brainwashing happened while the Agent was on 'shore leave' between chapter 1 and 2, but since you never have to move away from your communication center to transition to the new chapter, it makes that entire part of the plot more than a bit awkward.

"We spent about a month injecting you with drugs, conditioning your mind, and programming it to be accessed by a code word."
    "...a month? Really? I never even moved from this spot. I started a new conversation with the new Keeper about 20 seconds after the previous conversation ended."
    "Oh, um... look, over there!"

I have 3/4 Empire stories done. Working on a Sith Pureblood lightning spec Sorcerer. Lots of zapping. And snark.

Makes perfect sense to me, actually.
    The part of your memory that included you leaving the ship was erased, since they grabbed you the second you left. Maybe they should have implanted some shore leave memories, but since you're doubting their story it seems like just erasing the whole thing worked!

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Ever been to Rishi? It's a magical place."

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Copy-pasted from Reddit, I bring you The Most Smuggler Thing.
    (spoilers for the end of KotET)
    I choose "Rule as Emperor" without really thinking about what that would mean for my character and now I realize how much it clashes with my identity for them. I don't understand why I can't just replay the chapter and change that choice.

I get if you go farther back and make certain choices differently it would clash with things that happened later so why can't they put in a system where everything after the chapter you changed is also reset?

I don't want a stupid throne room. What kind of Smuggler wants a fucking throne room?
    Your Smuggler acted impulsively: "I'll declare myself Emperor, lol!" And... now they're stuck with it. With the consequences. With the responsibility. Chained to the Eternal Throne.

Congratulations. *slow clap*
    That's basically exactly what I'm dealing with. I just thought it would be like "Lol look at me I got a bunch of spaceships. Sucks to be everybody else!"

Now I'm stuck on my stupid chair that looks like it was drawn by an edgy 14 y/o with planets paying tribute. Like what the fuck? I don't want this.
    In other words, you/your Smuggler acted perfectly in character. And it bit you in the ass. :biggrin:
    Yeah I guess that is a good way of looking at it. I can pretend my Smuggler is mentally screaming every time he has to attend his duties.

Fortunately, our tale has a happy ending:
    You probably don't care but I wanted to update you and say that somehow when I reset my Iokath mission I got it to change my decision and now my throne room is no more and has been replaced with the Light Side equivalent. So hooray!
    thus ends your character's horrible, horrible nightmare. XD
    "Oh my god Theron I just had the worst dream! I had responsibilities in it Theron! RESPONSIBILITIES!"

Really, though, can't you just see it?
    the Smuggler, waking up the next morning after the victory party, to the Horrible Realization of what they did, and that now they have to actually BE the Emperor?
    Slumped miserably on the big uncomfortable chair, ignoring their advisor(s), and mumbling "i thought it would be funny..."
    (And it is! They just didn't realize the joke would be on them.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I was pretty much done with this game, due to the game play no longer being enjoyable. I'm not complaining as I've gotten a lot out of this title and definitely wouldn't mind some kind of sequel with updated game play mechanics. However, my seven year old son loves him some star wars, so I showed him this on a whim. Now we're doing a female Jedi warrior run. Seeing his reaction to the story and finding out if he'll be seduced to the dark side has made the game actually enjoyable once again. If the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree he'll be committing atrocities in no time!

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    So just a quick update, my son likes the light side options... sigh. Also, there's some kind of crazy bug preventing people from subscribing. EA has limited customer support for swotr at the moment, probably due to the pandemic. I sent an email to customer support to get things fixed, but I'm not hopeful. Never played the game in preferred status so this should be interesting.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Well that’s a good thing ! Cause if you ever have more children the rule of two will turn the sibling rivalry a tad bit awkward .

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    I have three kids... all sons.

• Options

My parents did too. How's that worked out for you, so far?

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

Well I guess that jokes ruined .

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options

My parents did too. How's that worked out for you, so far?
    I am a desiccated husk of a man and I wouldn’t trade that for anything. Also sharing Star Wars with my oldest has been an absolute blast.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I'm running through the content on my new "I'm not in it for your revolution" smuggler, whose first thought when hearing "people are dying! we need your help!" is "so what you're saying is that you're desperate and I can charge whetever I want?"

She may be defecting to the empire. Are there some specific decisions I have to make, or do I get the option regardless of other choices?

• Options
    I'm running through the content on my new "I'm not in it for your revolution" smuggler, whose first thought when hearing "people are dying! we need your help!" is "so what you're saying is that you're desperate and I can charge whetever I want?"

She may be defecting to the empire. Are there some specific decisions I have to make, or do I get the option regardless of other choices?

You get the option regardless of other choices. In fact, you can even side with the Republic on Iokath and still defect to the Empire afterwards. That path might be a good one if you don't want to force Theron to kill his own father.

• Options

You get the option regardless of other choices. In fact, you can even side with the Republic on Iokath and still defect to the Empire afterwards. That path might be a good one if you don't want to force Theron to kill his own father.

Someone with that terrible choice in haircuts doesn't deserve any better.

• Options
    Two bugs, one weird and one annoying but common.

My scoundrel sounds like a robot. There's a distortion on her voice almost all the time. Worse just after logging in, then reducing but not going away. It's only her voice. This is recent (started at SOR prelude) and has not gone away.

There's no way to turn on DS corruption visual effect. The box always unchecks itself. This has been there since Ord Mantell. (Since she's not a force user this isn't the biggest deal.)

Anyone experienced anything like this?

• Options

My scoundrel sounds like a robot. There's a distortion on her voice almost all the time. Worse just after logging in, then reducing but not going away. It's only her voice. This is recent (started at SOR prelude) and has not gone away.

There's no way to turn on DS corruption visual effect. The box always unchecks itself. This has been there since Ord Mantell. (Since she's not a force user this isn't the biggest deal.)

What species is she? Some don't show helmets, and some helmets include a voice filter.

• Options

What species is she? Some don't show helmets, and some helmets include a voice filter.

Nautolan. So if she can wear a helmet I haven't seen it. (Also, I keep show helmet off anyway). So far I've been role-playing it as a slightly buggy implant. (It's noticable, but not debilitating.)

(Incidentally, having to escape a sinking manaan facility was kind of silly. Oh, no. Water is coming in. Whatever will I do :eyeroll:)

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Yeah, that's what I figured. As I said, she's almost certainly wearing a helmet that on most other species would fully enclose the head, and includes voice modulation. Just because it's not visible (because she's Nauto) doesn't make it go away. Easy enough to fix, though; just get her a different helmet.

As far as the DS box: like you said, in this case it's moot, but my guess would be that you're trying to tick it on one outfit, or her default appearance/what she's actually wearing (the leftmost option, the little chest armor icon), and then switching over to a different one.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Yeah, that's what I figured. As I said, she's almost certainly wearing a helmet that on most other species would fully enclose the head, and includes voice modulation. Just because it's not visible (because she's Nauto) doesn't make it go away. Easy enough to fix, though; just get her a different helmet.

As far as the DS box: like you said, in this case it's moot, but my guess would be that you're trying to tick it on one outfit, or her default appearance/what she's actually wearing (the leftmost option, the little chest armor icon), and then switching over to a different one.

She's in 300 onderon gear; I don't think that has modulation? On the outfit designer she's not wearing any helmet. But I'll try to give her a different helmet there, too. (My main is wearing the same (onderon helmet, nothing in current outfit, hide head selected), and her voice is normal. This is literally the only character I've ever experienced this.)

DS: I'm definitely selecting the box in the outfit she's wearing. Just changing the tab to a different outfit (but not selecting a new outfit) or closing the character window de-selects the DS box. I had this problem earlier on my main (DS assassin), so let's just say I've not dared change her outfit in quite some time.

• Options
    I bet you guys think I forgot about my goal of getting ALL THE DECOS but I didn't. I've been working on it.

I've managed to get all the decos that require tech fragments (on that one Ossus vendor) maxed out. I've also bought and maxed every deco that costs 50k or less, as long as it doesn't also require a secondary token. I don't remember if I mentioned by I already got all the decos that take Industrial Prefab MK-1 and Synthetic Prefab MK-1. I'm also very close to getting all of the ones that require Universal MK-1. The only ones of those I still have left are the ones on the Utility vendor on the fleet (and he only carries 3 utility decos that require an MK-1). For about a half a minute I had actually thought I completed all the MK-1 decos because I was done with the Universal Fabricator Droid's decos that use that token, but then I remembered that utility guy.

Also, I'm slowly buying the Onderon decos up. It's basically when I sell enough on my main to feel secure spending 7.5mil on 100 Onderon decos, I go down and buy em and unlock em. So maybe once or twice a week depending on the GTN.

• Options

She's in 300 onderon gear; I don't think that has modulation? On the outfit designer she's not wearing any helmet. But I'll try to give her a different helmet there, too. (My main is wearing the same (onderon helmet, nothing in current outfit, hide head selected), and her voice is normal. This is literally the only character I've ever experienced this.)

DS: I'm definitely selecting the box in the outfit she's wearing. Just changing the tab to a different outfit (but not selecting a new outfit) or closing the character window de-selects the DS box. I had this problem earlier on my main (DS assassin), so let's just say I've not dared change her outfit in quite some time.

Update on bugs:

The voice thing disappeared once I started KotFE. No change in hat or cosmetic settings or anything. So it was definitely not the hat.

The DS thing: If I select the show corruption button, it automatically de-selects when I activate the outfit, tab over to a different outfit, close the character sheet window, or toggle the show helmet button.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    It's been rumored for a while, but now names have been attached: according to Buzzfeed, a KotOR movie is in the early stages of pre-production.
    Buzzfeed wrote:
    A movie based on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic — the beloved video game first released in 2003 — is currently being written by Laeta Kalogridis (Avatar, Shutter Island) for Lucasfilm, three sources close to the project told BuzzFeed News.

...Kalogridis is close to finishing the first script of a potential KOTOR trilogy, according to the three sources.

This follows on from Revan getting a mention in the episode IX visual dictionary as a Sith Lord for whom a Final Order trooper legion is named (though this being both a Star Wars product and a JJ Abrams project, it was not even mentioned aloud in the film proper), as well as Kennedy confirming several months ago that some sort of KOTOR-related project was in the works.

This might be the first step in a long march to canonizing some version of TOR's story. After all, why keep not just maintaining a non-canon story, as Legends novels are still being reprinted, but adding to it?

...I mean, aside from the money?

EDIT: whoops false alarm i was exactly one year off

Shadowen on
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I hope they avoid Revan entirely since SWTOR (and I guess a book?) made the character a bland, generic snoozefest after both KOTOR games did a great job building up mystery and hinting at something more going on.

Still plenty they could do with that era.

Strikor on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    The one positive of TOR's take on Revan is that he looks like Keanu Reeves.

So if they could get Reeves as Revan, and he wasn't playing a blank slate at the beginning but like John Wick in Star Wars complete with a backstory he believes to be true, and he's not an evil man but is clearly far too good at killing people for the other party members' comfort, and then partway through he learns "oh by the way the reason you're so good at this is because you're the bad guy and we tried to fix you but whoops"...

Also, Ming Na Wen as Bastila Shan. She can do "restrained but not flat", i.e. a good Jedi, in her sleep. And is also age-appropriate, if they keep the male Revan-Bastila romance.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I would watch the shit out of that.

Jesse L. Martin as Jolee.

You could probably get rid of Carth, and maybe Juhani. Revan, Bastilla, and Mission as the core trio, with Zaalbar and T3 as chorus/comic relief.

If we're talking a trilogy:
    Movie 1: Start with the Endar Spire, Dantooine as the second act, close with going after a Star Map and killing Darth Bandon, who could feature more as a starter villain.

Movie 2: Kashyyk and Korriban, end with the first Malak fight and Bastilla's capture.

Movie 3: Lehon and the Star Forge, with added elements of Republic/Sith war to fill out the rest of script

If you wanted to get ambitious, you could probably get Kreia and the Exile in there, but that might be too full.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Fuck you Carth is great. I will die on this hill.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Movies only have room for one sadboy. One!

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Fuck you Carth is great. I will die on this hill.

Not alone you won't! There is no way I'd get rid of Carth and keep Mission.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Fuck Carth AND Mission. HK-47, meatbags

Invectivus on
  • Options
    I started a female Smuggler.

Just...fuck Corso.

I really want them to remaster the early content ala Star Trek Online.

And I really want it to include the option to kill/not recruit companions.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Also, at least some bi options for vanilla companions. (Though they are at least adding that with some companions as they add more endgame content...but so far as I've seen, only with women.)

GTN was feeling a bit underpriced tonight. The Arms Crossed Dance, which I have seen for like 40 million, was only 5m, the C8-S3C droid companion was only 1.2m, and the Ivory Mouse Horranth pet, which I never see at all, was both a. available and b. selling for 1m.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    As I heard it, while Bioware was and still is all for bi romances, EA was not, at launch. They're bolting them on now, when they can, but...

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Tonight I hit the goal I've been grinding on for three weeks.

Shortly before double XP started, I started work on getting all the Renowned [class] achievements and Renowned All Around. Most of the characters I was leveling had already gotten to renown level 50 or so since Onslaught came out.

Then once I'd done that, just for maks braggs, on a ninth character, I started for the big fish, about three weeks ago.

Tonight/this morning, at 5:13:41 am (according to the timestamp on the screenshot), I finished the Spilling Chemicals heroic on Taris, and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgVTmt6t3hg

cKiYbtk.jpg

So that's a cool legacy title.

And during the process I also got enough tech fragments and credits out outfit a good dozen of my other alts with set bonuses and tacticals of their choice.

Shadowen on