As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stardew Valley - Join us. Thrive.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Yup, you need four hearts with him though.

https://stardewvalleywiki.com/The_Shrine_of_Illusions

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    There is a mod that gives you a mirror for you house that lets you change clothes and hair.

I would like this.

Too lazy to visit the wizard?

Wait he does that? I only spoke to that guy once when required.

He does have some nifty stuff, but a lot of it is higher tier. He also has some late game quests where you need to visit him I think.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm on my first year. I'm just focusing on farming and upgrading tools. I figure once the first year when I am established I'll check those guys out.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I don't understand anyone whose priorities aren't "Become friends with everyone in this shithole town as quickly as possible"

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Brolo wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »
    The mods for Stardew all seem kind of... lame? Maybe it's because I play a lot of nodded minecraft so I expect mods to be a bit more transformative but it seems like SDV mods are pretty much just reskins, or very minor tweaks.

It's a fairly difficult game to mod outside of simple sprite reworks.

For me the game is almost perfect already, so i dont need the mods to do anything crazy, just minor tweaks to get that "just right" feel.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I think the other reason I went for Leah (aside from the fact that she's, ya know, obviously the best) is that almost all the other romance-able characters seemed like children to me? Teenagers. And I think that made me inherently disinterested in them. :P Maru seemed like the youngest to me by far, like I think I imagined her as a 14 year old or something.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I wish the Switch version had mod support. I would at a minimum like the time not progressing indoors.

Maybe I'll just buy this on PC instead and stick to playing Zelda on my switch then.

Mods are nice but I dropped 80 hours on the unmodded/early PC version. Certainly not needed.

I'm mostly just worried about using the controller to play, was the game designed more for KBAM?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    None of the romancable characters seem bad, just some seem more... plain than others.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I wish the Switch version had mod support. I would at a minimum like the time not progressing indoors.

Maybe I'll just buy this on PC instead and stick to playing Zelda on my switch then.

Mods are nice but I dropped 80 hours on the unmodded/early PC version. Certainly not needed.

I'm mostly just worried about using the controller to play, was the game designed more for KBAM?

I used controller when I played on PC and it worked great

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Spring 8: Year 2, Community Center is COMPLETE.

Also, it took me forever to find the ancient seed artifact.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

I used controller when I played on PC and it worked great

I actually found the KBAM controls confusing and find the Switch gamepad more natural. It’s one of the reasons I did not get far in the PC version when it originally came out.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Fair day!

Gets 98 points in the produce judging!

Looks up this wheel guy. Proceeds to bet on green and looses all 1000 tickets over multiple spins without winning once.

Hmmmmm. Bet on green huh?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Fair day!

Gets 98 points in the produce judging!

Looks up this wheel guy. Proceeds to bet on green and looses all 1000 tickets over multiple spins without winning once.

Hmmmmm. Bet on green huh?

Yes. Despite your poor luck there, green is definitely the favored choice.

Sucks though. But it’s easy to fish some more festival cash and start over.

• Options
    Okay. Reloaded the day and did much better. Managed to buy everything.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    I actually managed to buy everything before my Lagrange stand was judged. Then I got a 98 and had nothing to spend my 1000 star points on. Then I left everything on my stand not thinking that I had to remove it first.

Overall a successful festival.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    The only item to put in the stand is the Mayors underpants.

ONLY ACCEPTABLE ITEM.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    I returned it because I'm a good neighbor.

Then I looked up what you could do with them. I shouldn't have returned them.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    I returned them because my Stardew character and I have formed a symbiosis that transcends the normal bounds of reality and as such we, legion, must conduct ourselves as friendly neighbors.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    The legendary fish will greatly boost your festival rating.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Man I love how chill this game is. I like to optimize a bit but knowing there is no end is a great relief. I wonder if there is a mod that removes the check at the beginning of year 3. That would be perfect.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    The beginning of year 3 isn't the only time you can do the check, you can get grandpa ghost to re-evaluate your farm at any time after that as well.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Yeah. Dude's dead. Not like he's on a tight schedule.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Grandpa was a huge jackass about it when the game first came out. You only got one chance, and if you didn't have essentially a perfect game, he would make fun of you and say he should have left the farm to someone else.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    This is the first play-through where I haven’t found all of the Dwarf Scrolls by the time I reached the bottom of the mine.

It’s year two and I’m still missing II and IV and the freaking blue one just keeps popping up.

• Options
    Sassori wrote: »
    This is the first play-through where I haven’t found all of the Dwarf Scrolls by the time I reached the bottom of the mine.

It’s year two and I’m still missing II and IV and the freaking blue one just keeps popping up.

I didn't get Dwarf Scroll I or IV until the very beginning of Year 2. I also did not get the Ancient Seed artifact until the beginning of Year 2. I had completed the mines in Summer, Year 1.

I ran floors 15-25 in the Mines for 4-5 days straight and finally got all three.

In my first few failed starts, I got the Ancient Seed and Dwarf Scroll I within the first few days after the mines unlocked. DS4 has a really low drop rate. ASeed too (0.5%, or 1/200 chance) from bugs and grubs.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Grandpa was a huge jackass about it when the game first came out. You only got one chance, and if you didn't have essentially a perfect game, he would make fun of you and say he should have left the farm to someone else.

I'm only on Spring 12 in Year 2 and I already have 10 "points" according to the Wiki (starred is what I've accomplished).

Major spoilers!
    *50,000G: +1 Point
    *100,000G: +1 Point
    *200,000G: +1 Point
    *300,000G: +1 Point
    500,000G: +1 Point
    1,000,000G: +2 Points
    Have 8 heart relationship with five villagers: 1 Point
    Have 8 heart relationship with ten villagers: 1 Point
    Have a friendship with your Pet (they love you): 1 Point
    Have a spouse with a fully upgraded house: 1 Point
    *Total of 30 skill levels: 1 Point
    Total of 50 skill levels: 1 Point
    *Finishing the Community Center Bundles: 3 Points
    *Unlock the Skull Cavern (Skull Key): 1 Point
    *Unlock the Sewer (Rusty Key): 1 Point
    Finishing off the Museum (find all artifacts): 1 Point
    Catch every fish: 1 Point
    Ship one of every item: 1 Point

Also, I have 453,000G total earnings, so I'm close to finishing one more.

So I could effectively just earn 47,000G and just go straight back to bed each day, right? lol

edit: Correction, I only have 10 points. I did not max out Foraging or Fishing yet.

Drez on
  • Options
    I have to remember to not pause in the middle of a day. Picked up back up and could not remember what I'd already done that day.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Sassori wrote: »

I didn't get Dwarf Scroll I or IV until the very beginning of Year 2. I also did not get the Ancient Seed artifact until the beginning of Year 2. I had completed the mines in Summer, Year 1.

I ran floors 15-25 in the Mines for 4-5 days straight and finally got all three.

In my first few failed starts, I got the Ancient Seed and Dwarf Scroll I within the first few days after the mines unlocked. DS4 has a really low drop rate. ASeed too (0.5%, or 1/200 chance) from bugs and grubs.

I’ve found two ancient seeds so far which is unusual for me.

I’m building up for my next trip into the Desert Mines. Gotta stock up on bombs and food so the next time I have a lucky day hopefully I can get some Iridium Ore and Omni Geodes.

• Options
    So what is that area north of the carpenter lady? I swear that opening wasn't there before but now there is a spa and a railroad? I went up their once but haven't had time in the day to go back. Also every once in a while I get a message that a train is passing through but I don't know what this means!

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    If you visit that area when a train comes, it can randomly drop things to pick up. Also, the spa can be used to restore all your energy.

Also, also, when you're venturing into the mines, try digging up all the dirt patches you run into. You can find artifacts there without a visual cue indicating one is present. Same in the desert. I found a few golden artifacts beneath the desert sands.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Huh. I need these days to be way longer.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    You can also bomb the dirt patches to clear them. Always Be Combusting.

• Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    Finding this thread has taught me to be far more liberal in my bomb usage in the Skull Cave, and that has been very helpful in collecting Iridium.

• Options
    I have to remember to not pause in the middle of a day. Picked up back up and could not remember what I'd already done that day.

I found I've been spending hours hunting for stuff in my 2 dozen chests.

So last night I spent 3-4 in-game days organizing my inventory into themed chests.

I'm not even 25% done, but it needs to happen.

I wish there were better storage options, like biggest chests or auto-sorting across your whole storage.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Speaking of, does the fridge get bigger with the third house tier?

• Options
    godmode wrote: »
    Speaking of, does the fridge get bigger with the third house tier?

I wish

• Options
    Huh. I need these days to be way longer.

This is why i turned off time in buildings and bumped up my run speed. :P

• Options
    Storage is the one thing I’m not looking forward to in Skyrim for the Switch. Some sort of auto sorting thing is the first thing I mod every time I play an Elder Scrolls or Fallout 3+ game.

• Options
    So if I’m planting 18 fruit trees...3 of each?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Don't forget to use the edge of your greenhouse for year-round fruit.

This discussion has been closed.