As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stardew Valley - Join us. Thrive.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    So what is that area north of the carpenter lady? I swear that opening wasn't there before but now there is a spa and a railroad? I went up their once but haven't had time in the day to go back. Also every once in a while I get a message that a train is passing through but I don't know what this means!

The spa will also regenerate your endurance if you go in the pool, just sit in the water without moving and your bar will fill relatively quickly. If you're a cheapo and don't want to use food to regen that is.

Speaking of hard to find items, the only item I couldn't find was the Elven Ring, I finally edited it into my inventory when I hit year 5 or 6 and still didn't have it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    So what is that area north of the carpenter lady? I swear that opening wasn't there before but now there is a spa and a railroad? I went up their once but haven't had time in the day to go back. Also every once in a while I get a message that a train is passing through but I don't know what this means!

Also, you are right, the opening wasn't there before. It's blocked off by rocks when you start the game, and opens up in an eathquake that happens partway through the first year.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My game just froze on my Switch. Going to put something in a chest and suddenly the game started spinning through the items I had on me. Hit home then back into the game and no controls worked but times still progressed. Closed the game. I had a lot going for me that day!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Something you may run into on the Switch. Once you get a lot of stuff in the museum, you'll have to start putting things down near the bottom of the screen. For whatever reason, the inventory stays in the way. The solution I've found is to put the item back in the inventory and then grab it again, and the inventory should go away enough to give you room to place the item.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I’ve almost got the greenhouse. Need a goat and like one more piece of fruit.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Going into summer year one with 19k. Easily able to buy what I need. I gotta get the recipe for quality sprinklers soon though.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Going into summer year one with 19k. Easily able to buy what I need. I gotta get the recipe for quality sprinklers soon though.

Okay, how did you do that? I started Summer 1 with ~9k and half my tools upgraded to copper and I felt like I did really well.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Well I'm modded so that helps. 33% faster run and time doesn't pass in buildings. I also fished my ass off. I could easily bring in 2-3k of fish in a day. I use the salmon berries to keep my energy up in the last half of spring.

Also I don't farm that much in spring. Enough to complete the community center bundles, and to get some gold star produce for use later. I spend the rest of the time mining and fishing. Summer is where it really gets going with blueberries and preserves.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Yeah Spring 1 farming just doesn't make you that much money, either. If you can get a fair amount secured via alternate means you can skip a lot of it.

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    Yeah Spring 1 farming just doesn't make you that much money, either. If you can get a fair amount secured via alternate means you can skip a lot of it.

I could have optimized a bit more by going all cauliflower once the community stuff was done, but I like having a variety of stuff going. I should have upgraded my water can though. Oh well, I'm on the hilltop map with a stream right next to my farm, and the sauna should unlock soon. I'll probably be managing 80+ crops until I get my bundles, then it will drop down to 65.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    RHCZcrM.jpg

• Options
    How I plan to lay out my farm for summer. Can animals cross bridges/climb stairs?

c8ndvdixe5ri.jpg

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    How I plan to lay out my farm for summer. Can animals cross bridges/climb stairs?

c8ndvdixe5ri.jpg

Where are the sprinklers, you monster?

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    With that little amount of crops he can probably get away with doing it all by hand.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Which layout is that? Hilltop?

• Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Which layout is that? Hilltop?

Yea. As far as sprinklers go i haven't unlocked the regular sprinklers yet. Just the basic ones. It should take 2.5 cans of water to do it all, and once I get my package crops ill cut to just the blueberry plants, hops and corn.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    You know what I like about that setup? That's how people usually grow food when not working on an outright farm.

This game needs watering lines as an item you can use separate from sprinklers. Which is how farms actually operate. They run along the ground, just in a straight line, can be a rubber tubing or pipework. In Stardew they could make the rubber tube ones reach adjacent tiles and the pipe one can reach one space past that. Edit - Oh and you don't have to sacrifice planting space for them so assume that for my bad idea for the game too.

Henroid on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Just let me chop down the default farm and install some central pivot irrigation.

k661lchi492w.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    What are you using to plan out your crops?

• Options
    What are you using to plan out your crops?

Stardew valley planner

https://stardew.info/planner/

• Options
    I just finished the community center for the first time, that was rad. Go to hell, Jojo Mart!

Oh also this happened. Either two of my animals are wounded or one of them is totally screwed.
    KATzV4F.jpg

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    It just means they got wet.

Don't feed them after midnight.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I grow potatoes and sell them

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Who are you romancing?

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    As long as it's not Elliott I approve

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

elliott is a classy gentleman with a classy heroin habit, nothing wrong with that

• Options
    If he was classy he'd have alcoholism like Shane

or Bukowski

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I haven't spoken to everyone yet so I don't know. I just sort of say hello and press the button until they stop talking and then go.

Do I have to do some winter preparation type shit

what's the deal with this cat

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I haven't spoken to everyone yet so I don't know. I just sort of say hello and press the button until they stop talking and then go.

Do I have to do some winter preparation type shit

what's the deal with this cat

the cat just hangs out, you don't need to do anything to take care of him, but he does like it when you pet him

to prepare for winter, just remember that all your crops will die in winter, and if you have any farm animals you'll want to have a silo ready with enough hay (1 per animal per day) to get through 28 days of winter

if you don't have enough hay your animals will still live through the season, but they'll be grumpy from lack of food (you can buy more hay from Marnie at a premium)

• Options
    There's one specific kind of crop you can grow in Winter, sorta. It's the winter seeds pack, which requires winter forage items to make packets of. You learn the recipe later on down the line from leveling foraging.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I like to use winter seeds to plant 2-7 days before the end of winter, because they take 8 days to grow. So they all die. But the places they were now have dead plants that just need scything.

So first of spring I can just scythe all the dead plants and plant all my seeds, with no need to for clearing ground or tilling dirt.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    yeah, I just leave my leftovers from fall there until spring. Although once I get the green house I don't bother with all that much outdoor crop farming

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I don't plant anything in winter.

Just like in real life, I like to do as little work as possible when it's cold out.

• Options
    I picked the hilltop farm on my xbone game and man, one of the first things I had to build was a fucking well, because jesus christ that river is far away.

Also I appreciate that I can just go into the mayor's bedroom whenever I want now. Just gotta be friends with Marnie so I can get his underwear back.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    yeah, the well was my first building in the hilltop farm

it was like effing christmas

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    @Moriveth maybe we should start a farming gang when multiplayer comes out

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Sure, I'd probably start a new game for that.

• Options
    Man,

I can never go back to the default walk/run speed. It's just too slow. I would never survive online.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Man,

I can never go back to the default walk/run speed. It's just too slow. I would never survive online.

That's why you buy a horse

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

Truth. I hate Elliott because my GF picked him as her husband for her first two playthoughs. When I eventually played the game I got full hearts for everyone except him...he got void mayonnaise and a "Fuck you Elliott" every time I saw him on screen.

I don't have jealousy issues, you have jealousy issues.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.