Options

Sony & Microsoft had a mid-cycle crisis: The Aftermath

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Hadn't realized the PS3 managed to catch up quite a bit before the generation ended.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Hadn't realized the PS3 managed to catch up quite a bit before the generation ended.

XBox 360 sold more in America, PS3 sold more in Europe + Japan. Final worldwide numbers ended near-identical.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    All three games, No Man's Sky, Firewatch and The Witness are coming to Xbone. The Xbone version was rumoured after launch but it seems likely to hit alongside the Mac version. Meanwhile, it has been confirmed that the exclusivity period for DR4 is an entire year, which is an unusual amount of time compared to the six month period of Tomb Raider.

Meanwhile, games like Hyper Light Drifter and Octodad have hit Xbone mere months after their "exclusive" period on PS4.

As for timed exclusives, for indies it all comes down to when they cut the deal. Some games have a lengthy exclusivity period whole others are done in two-three weeks. We still don't know when the Xbone version of NMS will hit, but it's in the works for sure.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    From what I recall, the PS3 actually outsold the 360 almost every year but since it was 8-9 million down at launch and didn't have the sales trajectory of the PS2, Wii or PS4, it just took Sony a long time to actually catch up.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Turns out having effectively zero presence in a territory sucks since Japanese people don't buy xboxes ever. But as Japan basically exits the home console space, I don't know that it'll matter as much going forward.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Even if Scorpio ended up a more powerful upgrade than the PS4 to PS4 Pro, would it matter much in the end if the games weren't there?

Off the top of my head I'm already looking forward to the Pro-improved versions of Horizon, God of War 4, Persona 5, FFVII Remake, Resident Evil 7, Uncharted 4, Ratchet and Clank, Spider-Man, Infamous, Dragon Quest XI, The Last Guardian, and a whole bunch of other games I'm forgetting that will never show up on Xbox One.

The Scorpio version of Gears of War 4 will probably look really damn nice, but....that's kind of it for now, isn't it?

Microsoft hasn't announced most of their 2017 lineup yet. Their E3 presentation was almost entirely 2016 with a smidge of 2017.

I imagine we'll see the shit hot Scorpio stuff at next E3 when the box is closer to launch.

EDIT: Also, isn't FF7 being exclusive still a rumor at this point?

EDIT: Hmm.. I wonder if Crackdown 3 got pushed so it could be a showcase for the Scorpio?
    Pretty sure both KH3 and FF7 are just timed exclusives. Crackdown 3 supposedly wouldn't have the destructible environments in offline mode due to The Cloud©, but I bet the Scorpio could handle it offline.

I don't even think there's any indication that Kingdom Hearts 3 is going to be any sort of exclusive, timed or otherwise. It sounds like a situation like Final Fantasy XV.

On the other hand, it may never come out. So...

Final Fantasy VII is going to be episodic, so anyone who wants to play the whole thing will probably be waiting a half-decade before playing it on any platform, but it may be Sony/PC Exclusive. Who knows?

Officially they said we'd "play it first on PS4". But there's been rumors from known sources that suggest Sony is trying to keep it truly exclusive on PS4.

Either way, PS4 is getting it first, so I'm playing it there.

The fact that Square-Enix said anything about KH3 is pretty remarkable. When did they (or Sony, I guess) say it?

As said, I was talking about FFVII.

But as for KH3, they said the next update would come this Winter.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Turns out having effectively zero presence in a territory sucks since Japanese people don't buy xboxes ever. But as Japan basically exits the home console space, I don't know that it'll matter as much going forward.

I think around 7.5% of the PS4's sales so far are in Japan? It's at least going to pass the WiiU in sales there soon, if it hasn't already. No idea if it'll pass Vita's sales in the country, as it's at least 2mil behind. Over 3mil PS4s and WiiUs sold. Over 5mil Vitas. Over 21mil 3DSes.

They're a Mobile, 3DS, and Vita country, in that order.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    All three games, No Man's Sky, Firewatch and The Witness are coming to Xbone. The Xbone version was rumoured after launch but it seems likely to hit alongside the Mac version. Meanwhile, it has been confirmed that the exclusivity period for DR4 is an entire year, which is an unusual amount of time compared to the six month period of Tomb Raider.

Meanwhile, games like Hyper Light Drifter and Octodad have hit Xbone mere months after their "exclusive" period on PS4.

As for timed exclusives, for indies it all comes down to when they cut the deal. Some games have a lengthy exclusivity period whole others are done in two-three weeks. We still don't know when the Xbone version of NMS will hit, but it's in the works for sure.

It's impossible to say because there's more factors involved than just exclusivity deals. Most of the timed exclusives this gen have nothing to do with deals and everything to do with it taking time to port games to new systems. Indies don't have the benefit of a huge team and pipeline that'll immediately port their games to every system, they either need to do it themselves or farm it out to another studio who will (like Double Eleven) and that takes time regardless of whether there's an exclusivity deal or not. A game like Super Time Force may've had six months or even a year of Xbone exclusivity in their deal but by the time they ported it to PC and then to PS4/Vita with all the new features, it was 16 months later.

Though Octodad took over a year to come out on Xbone (April 2014 -> August 2015) and Hyper Light Drifter came out on both systems simultaneously, so I think you're mixing some things up there.

And Tomb Raider's coming out on PS4 in October.

I think around 7.5% of the PS4's sales so far are in Japan? It's at least going to pass the WiiU in sales there soon, if it hasn't already. No idea if it'll pass Vita's sales in the country, as it's at least 2mil behind.

They're a Mobile, 3DS, and Vita country, in that order.

(Edited because it's late and I fucked up my math.)

Persona 5 will save consoles there!
    in my dreams

Seriously though, Germany is PlayStation's second biggest market these days. The German market isn't quite as big as the UK market yet but Sony's far more dominant there, so it ends up being more important than the UK to them.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Wait, No Man's Sky on Xbox One?

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    I watched that Horizon Zero Dawn trailer on my 4K TV last night, if that is representative of how Pro games look then I'm quite impressed.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Wait, No Man's Sky on Xbox One?
    http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1263009
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gaming/537409/No-Mans-Sky-Xbox-One-release-steam-pc-PS4
    So when we spoke to Hello Games Sean Murray, the man responsible for creating No Man's Sky, we asked him and received a rather coy response for what we assumed was a very straightforward question.

In response Murray told us he wasn't sure what he was "actually allowed to say" at the time, noting that he needed to be "very specific with my words".

Before going any further though, Sony's rep stepped in to move the interview along, explaining that at this time there was nothing more to add.

• Options
    Sony Rep: "Uh oh, better step in before this idiot says something the internet try to lynch him for"

• Options
    Wait, that's it? I thought you were talking about a new rumour I'd missed, not a couple of old things that hint it'll probably happen at some point.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    At the risk of stating the obvious, there's a fundamental conflict here.
    The hardware makers would, of course, like to sell us new hardware as often as possible.
    Consumers, in general, want to buy new hardware as seldom as possible.
    Somewhere in the middle, constantly shifting, is the equilibrium - "what the market will bear."

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    The hardware makers would, of course, like to sell us new hardware as often as possible.
    Somewhere in the middle, constantly shifting, is the equilibrium - "what the market will bear."

There is a group of consumers that want to buy hardware as much as the makers will sell them.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    I have a Linux server in my garage that I sometimes use to host LAN Party games. I haven't hosted anything in about three years because 90% of the new multiplayer games that have been developed in the last two years are PC-only or require Linux users to jump through giant flaming hoops, so that it just isn't worth the effort. Even my most ardent Linux-loving friends have advised me to either dump Ubuntu and reformat the server to Windows, or at the very least set up a dual boot system with Windows, just specifically to run game servers. The sad part is that I've finally got the Linux setup running the way I want it and serving media&files to the rest of my sed me to either dump Ubuntu and reformat the server to Windows, or at the very least set up a dual boot system with Windows, just specifically to run game servers. The sad part is that I've finally got the Linux setup

I think for you the Unraid solution would be ideal for you. Run Linux to serve Media, start Windows in Virtualization / Paravirtualization (if the Gameserver needs access to HW resources like GPU), manage everything from web interface - while your box still continues serving media. But it's a commercial product.

Back on topic:
    I think if the update cycle of consoles change to a smart phone style, they would lose the appeal for me > one box for around 4 or 5 years - I don't have to think about performance differences or if I am playing the "inferior version". During the last generation I didn't have to worry what version of the console I buy or have experience buyers remorse, when the next version was announced (PS3 Slim for example).

• Options
    But those things are still things that have happened with the PS4 and Xbone prior to this iterative model and will continue to happen now that Sony and MS are releasing consoles at different points in time

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Another question in regards to future 4K TV purchases: if I'm passing my devices through a receiver and hooking the receiver to the TV, does the receiver need to be 4K compliant or something? This got mentioned elsewhere, so I'm worried if I have to go and buy a new receiver as well.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Another question in regards to future 4K TV purchases: if I'm passing my devices through a receiver and hooking the receiver to the TV, does the receiver need to be 4K compliant or something? This got mentioned elsewhere, so I'm worried if I have to go and buy a new receiver as well.

I believe it'll need to do 4K, plus have the correct HMDI spec and be able to do 10bit.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Even if Scorpio ended up a more powerful upgrade than the PS4 to PS4 Pro, would it matter much in the end if the games weren't there?

Off the top of my head I'm already looking forward to the Pro-improved versions of Horizon, God of War 4, Persona 5, FFVII Remake, Resident Evil 7, Uncharted 4, Ratchet and Clank, Spider-Man, Infamous, Dragon Quest XI, The Last Guardian, and a whole bunch of other games I'm forgetting that will never show up on Xbox One.

The Scorpio version of Gears of War 4 will probably look really damn nice, but....that's kind of it for now, isn't it?

Microsoft hasn't announced most of their 2017 lineup yet. Their E3 presentation was almost entirely 2016 with a smidge of 2017.

I imagine we'll see the shit hot Scorpio stuff at next E3 when the box is closer to launch.

EDIT: Also, isn't FF7 being exclusive still a rumor at this point?

EDIT: Hmm.. I wonder if Crackdown 3 got pushed so it could be a showcase for the Scorpio?
    Pretty sure both KH3 and FF7 are just timed exclusives. Crackdown 3 supposedly wouldn't have the destructible environments in offline mode due to The Cloud©, but I bet the Scorpio could handle it offline.

Xbone exclusives still to be released:
    Ashen
    Crackdown 3
    Forza 6
    Sea of Thieves
    Scalebound
    Cities: Skyline
    Halo Wars 2
    Gears 4
    Dead Rising 4
    Below
    Cuphead
    Phantom Dust
    ReCore
    The Flame and The Flood

That's all I can find right now, but we're likely going to a see a pretty big line-up for it when they formally announce whatever Scorpio ends up being.

Pretty sure Dead Rising 4 is a Rise of the Tomb Raider situation.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Oakey wrote: »

I believe it'll need to do 4K, plus have the correct HMDI spec and be able to do 10bit.

Lord.

On the other hand, the PS4 Pro would be the only 4K device, so I would just need to plug that one directly to the TV and plug the receiver to a separate HDMI slot for the surround sound. How many HDMI ports do 4K TVs have nowadays?

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    How many HDMI ports do 4K TVs have nowadays?

Mine has 5

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

There is a group of consumers that want to buy hardware as much as the makers will sell them.

That group is too small to really be a factor. If Sony or Microsoft based their decisions off of what that group wanted they would be broke.

• Options

Lord.

On the other hand, the PS4 Pro would be the only 4K device, so I would just need to plug that one directly to the TV and plug the receiver to a separate HDMI slot for the surround sound. How many HDMI ports do 4K TVs have nowadays?

If your receiver is ARC compatible you can go PS4 Pro to TV then TV Arc to Amp. Or use optical.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Yep. This is exactly my problem. I upgraded my receiver two years ago to a HDMI 2.0 (4K) system, but it's HDMI2.0 and -not- HDMI 2.0a or 2.0b which are required for 10-bit HDR. So while I can pass-through and switch a 4K video signal all of the dynamic lighting and additional color metadata gets stripped out.

On the other hand, my receiver is also not HDCP enabled, so I don't ave to deal with DRM in my video streams. (Yes, that's a thing.)

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I find it interesting that Sony say that they are not competing with the XBox, but rather with the PC systems. It kinda makes sense in a way. But to assume that the market will allow them to sell half again as many boxes in the next three months as they have in the past three years... that might be stretching it a bit.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/08/playstation-boss-andrew-house-ps4-pro-our-approach-isnt-reactive-this-time-around

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular

i was under the impression that hardware makers lose money on the hardware.

ideally, they would let us keep using the same hardware forever, if there was no competition.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    a

Lord.

Mine has five--though only one that will accept 4K at 60hz (annoying on the side). It's by no means a very high-end 4K LED television.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I find it interesting that Sony say that they are not competing with the XBox, but rather with the PC systems. It kinda makes sense in a way. But to assume that the market will allow them to sell half again as many boxes in the next three months as they have in the past three years... that might be stretching it a bit.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/08/playstation-boss-andrew-house-ps4-pro-our-approach-isnt-reactive-this-time-around

I suppose that's one way to interpret their competitor realizing that they really don't need to prioritize hardware sales at all when they can leverage their already significantly larger install base and such.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Digital Foundry is saying the GPU in the Neo is equivalent to a slightly underclocked Radeon RX 480. A card that sells for ~$300 on its own.

Makes the Neo price tag seem very reasonable.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Yep. This is exactly my problem. I upgraded my receiver two years ago to a HDMI 2.0 (4K) system, but it's HDMI2.0 and -not- HDMI 2.0a or 2.0b which are required for 10-bit HDR. So while I can pass-through and switch a 4K video signal all of the dynamic lighting and additional color metadata gets stripped out.

On the other hand, my receiver is also not HDCP enabled, so I don't ave to deal with DRM in my video streams. (Yes, that's a thing.)

If your receiver is stripping HDCP protection from content then it's not HDMI compliant and its manufacturer could get in big trouble for it doing that.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Digital Foundry is saying the GPU in the Neo is equivalent to a slightly underclocked Radeon RX 480. A card that sells for ~$300 on its own.

The RX 480 is a 200 dollar GPU and given that consoles don't have separate VRAM like PC GPUs do, this comparison loses a lot of it's merit.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    As some whose had a PS4 and an Xbone, but is currently consoleless and looking to change that in the next couple months, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do.

4k is irrelevant to me, but more bells and whistles and a better framerate at 1080p would be nice. But I don't know if it's $100 nicer. It pretty much comes down either get a Pro now and then wait for Scorpio next fall, or say screw it and just get a Slim and an S now.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Yeah I wanna get the Pro for VR but I also really want a One. Scorpio is so far away D:

• Options

The RX 480 is a 200 dollar GPU and given that consoles don't have separate VRAM like PC GPUs do, this comparison loses a lot of it's merit.

Maybe it's inflated right now due to demand but I didn't see it for less then ~$280 on Amazon.

The separate VRAM is a good point, but then again the PS4 is using shared ram that is essentially all VRAM and I imagine the vast majority is being allocated to games.

• Options
    edited September 2016

Maybe it's inflated right now due to demand but I didn't see it for less then ~$280 on Amazon.

The separate VRAM is a good point, but then again the PS4 is using shared ram that is essentially all VRAM and I imagine the vast majority is being allocated to games.

Cheaper on Newegg, like always, but it's $240-280 on there depending on the version.

Of course, Sony's not going to be paying retail price for them.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options

Cheaper on Newegg, like always, but it's $240-280 on there depending on the version.

Of course, but it seems like a pretty good value proposition for consumers, assuming games take advantage of the increased GPU.

Though I just realized Dark Souls and Bloodborne are probably never going to take advantage. Sony apparently has set a directive saying that multiplayer titles can't have higher framerates on the Neo, which is a complete bummer and would affect all From Software games.

• Options

Of course, but it seems like a pretty good value proposition for consumers, assuming games take advantage of the increased GPU.

Though I just realized Dark Souls and Bloodborne are probably never going to take advantage. Sony apparently has set a directive saying that multiplayer titles can't have higher framerates on the Neo, which is a complete bummer and would affect all From Software games.

Well, they don't want Neo players to have a competitive advantage in multiplayer. I can understand it.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Am I correct in thinking this was something that became a complication for the release of Dark Souls on PC? Putting aside the first game was crap before it was patched, is it an issue on later releases too?

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular

I mean they could enable the improved mode for Single Player. "Want to play offline, boy do we have a great looking game for you!"

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend