Options

nba high fashion [chat]

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Did my silly comment about Applebee's really spawn the stupid chain restaurant discussion

No I did it by calling out @Squeakel in public

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Just watched that Uncle remake by Ritchie and liked it!

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    spool32 wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Organichu I think at least for me it's exasperation at settling for the perceived safe option when:

- It's not the best flavor option for the style of food
    - it's not cheaper
    - it's not more convenient
    - it's not as healthy
    - it negatively impacts local industry

In a place like this, the only reason to give one of these bottom-tier chains your business is a comfort-zone issue that can be easily dispelled without resorting to snobbery... there are great local options for the same style of food, with comparable service, comfort, and convenience, with healthier locally prepared ingredients, if only people would give them a shot.

And yet they pour into Texas Roadhouse and Logan's and Chili's and Applebee's and Olive Garden to the point that the suburbs begin to see their local spots struggle to compete.

This isn't true, though! That's not the only reason. Another reason might be that they like this food.

That is the whole thrust of what I'm saying, is that your position doesn't account for them just having bad taste and not 'bad temporarily until they fix it', which is for many people a pipe dream. Just accept that they have bad taste!

Even people with bad taste can hit up the local OG analog. There are plenty of disappointing local Italian places around here too. Hell, there's one down the street that I won't go in anymore but people love that shit.

But what I'm saying is you claim they'd 'see the light' if they just tried the local Italian place. That isn't trivially true. They could go there and go 'ew, not as good, back to OG'

yeah, that's a fair point. Some people really do just have bad taste and are resistant to improving it, for a host of reasons.
    i mean just look at android/windows users

wandering on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Organichu I think at least for me it's exasperation at settling for the perceived safe option when:

- It's not the best flavor option for the style of food
    - it's not cheaper
    - it's not more convenient
    - it's not as healthy
    - it negatively impacts local industry

In a place like this, the only reason to give one of these bottom-tier chains your business is a comfort-zone issue that can be easily dispelled without resorting to snobbery... there are great local options for the same style of food, with comparable service, comfort, and convenience, with healthier locally prepared ingredients, if only people would give them a shot.

And yet they pour into Texas Roadhouse and Logan's and Chili's and Applebee's and Olive Garden to the point that the suburbs begin to see their local spots struggle to compete.

This isn't true, though! That's not the only reason. Another reason might be that they like this food.

That is the whole thrust of what I'm saying, is that your position doesn't account for them just having bad taste and not 'bad temporarily until they fix it', which is for many people a pipe dream. Just accept that they have bad taste!

Even people with bad taste can hit up the local OG analog. There are plenty of disappointing local Italian places around here too. Hell, there's one down the street that I won't go in anymore but people love that shit.

But what I'm saying is you claim they'd 'see the light' if they just tried the local Italian place. That isn't trivially true. They could go there and go 'ew, not as good, back to OG'

yeah, that's a fair point. Some people really do just have bad taste and are resistant to improving it, for a host of reasons.
    i mean just look at android/windows users

@Gooey

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Also, the restaurant at which I eat most regularly and very much love is a chain.

They cook their steak sous vide for 18 hours.

Where is your God now

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Olive Garden has good chicken gnocchi soup. What if I want specifically that? It's like you're pretending people don't go to places for a certain thing. I can't get chicken gnocchi soup at the local joint. Soooo I guess in that instance...fuck em?

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i think i wanna draw a new avatar...

But i don't know what my new avatar should be.......

Troubling.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    opinions different than mine about unimportant things are unacceptable

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    ugh I'm so tired and lonely and i just want someone to acknowledge me

maybe I'll take a selfie so i have an updated picture for my tinder profile, maybe that is what's missing, all my other photos are bad or just too old, surely this will work

30 seconds later

..why why why did i do that noooo

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Did my silly comment about Applebee's really spawn the stupid chain restaurant discussion

No I did it by calling out Squeakel in public
    Son, I am disappoint.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Troubling.

Draw Midna from Twilight Princess. She got unique proportions, neat colours and her relic helmet thing has some cool details. ;D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I'm surprised more women can't dunk on a regulation net. Lots of shorter men can dunk, and while the response might be that they're more powerful with a bigger vert, don't women of a given weight typically weigh less? I'd expect them to not need as much power.

I'm 6 feet and even at my physical peak I could only dunk a tennis ball. There are probably more women that can dunk in optimal circumstances but it takes way more energy at shorter heights that you probably would only attempt it on a breakaway and even then you risk being a bit too tired and missing the dunk. JJ reddick is like...6'4" or something and he only dunked once that i can recall. IIRC he later said it took so much out of him midgame he decided only to do layups after that.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Troubling.

Draw Midna from Twilight Princess. She got unique proportions, neat colours and her relic helmet thing has some cool details. ;D

Hmm.... I never played that particular Zorldo.

I hear in that one, Zorldo turns into a worlf, right?

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    here is a fact I did not know:
    a narwhal's tusk is in fact an incredibly sensitive sensory organ, and males rubbing tusks is thought to be an act of communication, not rivalry, in which they share information about the waters they have traveled through. it seems the horn is only occasionally used for aggressive behaviour.

listen

@Evil Multifarious it is incredibly important to my personal ego that you tell me what popular science blog outlet gave you this info

• Options
    hurry EM there's only 7 pages left for me to possibly self brag

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I enjoy the way spool takes every available opportunity to use the batsignal.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    here is a fact I did not know:
    a narwhal's tusk is in fact an incredibly sensitive sensory organ, and males rubbing tusks is thought to be an act of communication, not rivalry, in which they share information about the waters they have traveled through. it seems the horn is only occasionally used for aggressive behaviour.

listen

@Evil Multifarious it is incredibly important to my personal ego that you tell me what popular science blog outlet gave you this info

You should do this.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Troubling.

He does indeed. Midna is his imp sidekick who is from the Twili Realm and it's not like she likes the Light World or anything.

(She's pretty good, as sidekicks go! Her HEY LISTENS are kept to a minimum, and she gets pretty funny dialogue.)

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2016
    I'm surprised more women can't dunk on a regulation net. Lots of shorter men can dunk, and while the response might be that they're more powerful with a bigger vert, don't women of a given weight typically weigh less? I'd expect them to not need as much power.

I'm 6 feet and even at my physical peak I could only dunk a tennis ball. There are probably more women that can dunk in optimal circumstances but it takes way more energy at shorter heights that you probably would only attempt it on a breakaway and even then you risk being a bit too tired and missing the dunk. JJ reddick is like...6'4" or something and he only dunked once that i can recall. IIRC he later said it took so much out of him midgame he decided only to do layups after that.

I don't mean like, the avg bro- meant pros. Is the number of around-6-ft'ers in the nba that can dunk really that small? According to that article, it makes headlines when it happens in the WNBA.

Organichu on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    @desc @winky @Evil Multifarious @SummaryJudgment @Julius

After that small tangent into the conundrum of words I ran off to the bookstore

Found a book on Derrida that warmed my broken heart - A link to the essay in particular but Plato's skepticism of the written word also echoes

In short I ended up buying $100 worth of books about difference and repetition

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I enjoy the way spool takes every available opportunity to use the batsignal.

@spool32 is this true?

• Options

Troubling.

He does indeed. Midna is his imp sidekick who is from the Twili Realm and it's not like she likes the Light World or anything.

(She's pretty good, as sidekicks go! Her HEY LISTENS are kept to a minimum, and she gets pretty funny dialogue.)

Okej, i guess i could try...

But i feel like Midna's helmet might be beyond my ability so far.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Women have higher bodyfat % at any healthy level of competition, I bet this really hurts verticals.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    now I'm just sad about the tree guy

he is mad at a world that never did him any favors

who are we to say he's wrong

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

I don't mean like, the avg bro- meant pros. Is the number of around-6-ft'ers in the nba that can dunk really that small? According to that article, it makes headlines when it happens in the WNBA.

Judging by this random website, the avg NBA vertical leap is 28", the 95th percentile of men for vert is 28", the 95th for women is 19"

So that's another 9 inch difference, it's definitely harder for women to dunk

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    what about the glorious future of basketball which is stephen curry making a 3 pointer, forever

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Curse you, biology

• Options
    edited March 2016

Mens high jump record is more than a foot more than womens high jump record. Difference in height between the two jumpers was 6 inches. Prob some differences that just arent pure height related.

Sir Landshark on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/explainer/2012/03/brittney_griner_dunk_why_are_there_so_few_jams_in_women_s_basketball_.html

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    guys is this picture ok for my tinder picture or does the fact that I'm not actually smiling give away how depressed and sad i am at having to take a selfie in order to convey what i currently look like

because the mere act of taking a selfie immediately tells the girl seeing my tinder profile that 'he must not have friend's to take pictures of him, no social life, nope swiping left'

can you see that is that what this picture says

it is isn't it
    buYx4H0.jpg

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    9deF7bVl.png

Yeah, that helmet is gonna be a bit tuff.

• Options
    @spool32 what's a batsignal?

• Options
    My cuck spirit demands I see a woman dunking on a man at least once a year

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    The caption of that picture is automatically "I will kill again"

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    This is my life:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/03/22/why-it-seems-impossible-to-buy-your-first-home/

Guess I'll just keep saving for another 5 years and hope it fixes itself?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    The caption of that picture is automatically "I will kill again"

yeah but i'd probably still hit it and quit it at least once

• Options
    Kids down. Going to a classical piano concert in an hour. Want to play league but wife wont let me cuz SIL is coming over in 30 min. Ugh i just wanna style on some noobs goddamit woman.

Come hang out with me!

We can get tacos.

• Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Judging by this random website, the avg NBA vertical leap is 28", the 95th percentile of men for vert is 28", the 95th for women is 19"

So that's another 9 inch difference, it's definitely harder for women to dunk

I had a 27" vert basically NBA amirite

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    After that small tangent into the conundrum of words I ran off to the bookstore

Found a book on Derrida that warmed my broken heart - A link to the essay in particular but Plato's skepticism of the written word also echoes

In short I ended up buying $100 worth of books about difference and repetition

But Eddy

a broken heart that you heat up

it is still broken.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    guys is this picture ok for my tinder picture or does the fact that I'm not actually smiling give away how depressed and sad i am at having to take a selfie in order to convey what i currently look like

because the mere act of taking a selfie immediately tells the girl seeing my tinder profile that 'he must not have friend's to take pictures of him, no social life, nope swiping left'

can you see that is that what this picture says

it is isn't it
    buYx4H0.jpg

You look really sad in that picture. Does your phone have a timer?
    Don't look at the camera and have something other than what looks like an abandoned warehouse in the background

Nice hair
    Smile

Deebaser on
This discussion has been closed.