Options

nba high fashion [chat]

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I don't want the local place around the corner to close up because Olive Garden has sucked all the air out of the room. Especially not when it's my kid doing the damage!

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    spool32 wrote: »
    Organichu I think at least for me it's exasperation at settling for the perceived safe option when:

- It's not the best flavor option for the style of food
    - it's not cheaper
    - it's not more convenient
    - it's not as healthy
    - it negatively impacts local industry

In a place like this, the only reason to give one of these bottom-tier chains your business is a comfort-zone issue that can be easily dispelled without resorting to snobbery... there are great local options for the same style of food, with comparable service, comfort, and convenience, with healthier locally prepared ingredients, if only people would give them a shot.

And yet they pour into Texas Roadhouse and Logan's and Chili's and Applebee's and Olive Garden to the point that the suburbs begin to see their local spots struggle to compete.

This isn't true, though! That's not the only reason. Another reason might be that they like this food.

That is the whole thrust of what I'm saying, is that your position doesn't account for them just having bad taste and not 'bad temporarily until they fix it', which is for many people a pipe dream. Just accept that they have bad taste!

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    How many locations is a place allowed to have before they count as a chain and I'm not allowed to go there anymore?

I assume whatever # Fogo de Chao has plus one.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Olive garden child was... not... drinking?

Because, child. $50 is a lot for sober olive garden.

Can you "sink" bottomless pasta and salad?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Is Johnny Depp gonna be toting this ultra rare book all over the world without some kinda mylar bag for it? Not even a sammich baggie? :I

Yes

And I shared this concern

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    There's also a very real issue with the American palate being sort of fucked up by the amount of processed shit we consume.

I was raised on salted butter. Just kind of wing it and used it in spur-of-the-moment baked goods, too, since that's what I've got in the house.

It's Kerrygold, mind, but it's still the salted as opposed to the unsalted.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Oh hey, Plugra vs Kerrygold everyone?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Who are these people who are passing over cheap, quality restaurants for chain food (barring a rare hankering), as opposed to people who arrive in (conference town) and just want something guaranteed to be decent at a guaranteed to be decent price without any effort?

A ton of people.

• Options
    Local favorite restaurants can be tremendously mediocre, below even that of a chain. I worked at a Tex-Mex restaurant that was more expensive and worse in every way than Chuy's (which is not exactly a high-end chain), and yet was still the local place to eat.

I would have loved for a chain to have destroyed them.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    How many locations is a place allowed to have before they count as a chain and I'm not allowed to go there anymore?

Outside Texas: more than one location in a different State, or owned by a conglomerate that just opens chains in the region.

Inside Texas: more than two locations in each of the three big cities (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio) where the original location wasn't opened by a Texan, or see Outside Texas.

• Options
    redx wrote: »
    Olive garden child was... not... drinking?

Because, child. $50 is a lot for sober olive garden.

Can you "sink" bottomless pasta and salad?

It was two people, which makes the price pretty reasonable for either "I ordered soda and we split a dessert" or "I ordered a more expensive entree and we split an appetizer"

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

If I'm doing this right Piers should have a mild nosebleed.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Who are these people who are passing over cheap, quality restaurants for chain food (barring a rare hankering), as opposed to people who arrive in (conference town) and just want something guaranteed to be decent at a guaranteed to be decent price without any effort?

I think it's more that these days that's a pretty flimsy excuse. Yelp for all its faults will probably find you something better in about 5 minutes of looking.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    A restaurant becomes a filthy chain when it there two of them. The purity is lost exactly then.

Neco on
  • Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    Organichu I think at least for me it's exasperation at settling for the perceived safe option when:

- it's not cheaper
    - it's not as healthy

In a place like this, the only reason to give one of these bottom-tier chains your business is a comfort-zone issue that can be easily dispelled without resorting to snobbery... there are great local options for the same style of food, with comparable service, comfort, and convenience, with healthier locally prepared ingredients, if only people would give them a shot.

And yet they pour into Texas Roadhouse and Logan's and Chili's and Applebee's and Olive Garden to the point that the suburbs begin to see their local spots struggle to compete.

This isn't true, though! That's not the only reason. Another reason might be that they like this food.

That is the whole thrust of what I'm saying, is that your position doesn't account for them just having bad taste and not 'bad temporarily until they fix it', which is for many people a pipe dream. Just accept that they have bad taste!

Even people with bad taste can hit up the local OG analog. There are plenty of disappointing local Italian places around here too. Hell, there's one down the street that I won't go in anymore but people love that shit.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Chain restaurants don't really exist here above the fast food tier. McDonalds is really prevalent, Burger King, KFC and Subway are mostly big city, Starbucks has been expanding lately.

The only thing I can think off is the chain of highway restaurants that serve all you can eat of the kind of meh quality that it doesn't offend anyone and that draws some people to go there.

That said I am not a big restaurant guy, too expensive for my budget and disappointments are fairly common. I quite like a bit of fancy cooking now and again and it is more interesting to do it yourself, and more forgiving of failure too.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Outside Texas: more than one location in a different State, or owned by a conglomerate that just opens chains in the region.

Inside Texas: more than two locations in each of the three big cities (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio) where the original location wasn't opened by a Texan, or see Outside Texas.

This is such a ridiculously broad definition of chain restaurant that it immediately dispels the "chain restaurants = bad" notion.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

*disregards spool's opinions forever*

• Options
    But I like torchies.

:(

And draft house.

And, other things.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    having this job be a Yes would be so incredible right now.

Transforming.

I really need it to happen.

You'll get it

there's an Applebee's celebration in your future

I can feel it

Squeakel let his girlfriend talk him into going to Olive Garden. They spent nearly $50?

In Austin?

At the fking Olive Garden?!

during SXSW?!?!?!?!

"Blameless Cleric" boo your brother.

Oh...mygod...

I have to face this constantly how do people not understand this

Friend your bagel bites cost the same as two organic chicken breasts

Brother your olive garden cost the same as going to Gloria's I'll kill you

Don't you live in a dorm?

When I lived in a dorm, the big problem with thing like chicken breasts is that A: actual groceries were much farther than convenience stores and B: anything that could cook them would not be allowed.

Where I go if you're in a dorm you are forced to pay 3k/semester for the full meal plan so no one who's in them can afford groceries unless they already have $dollas$ even though we do actually have somewhere to cook them if you can. So, almost nobody does.

It's why I go nuts on breaks, because the dining hall closes and we're forced to get groceries and I see PEOPLE WITH CARS who don't even have to do the bus switch to get to the grocery store buying boxes of absolute junk for same $ as real food.
    The cause I have discovered is it seems like ability to cook is actually a rare skill?

Currently I am exploiting this by having promised to cook whatever people buy. Result, everybody eats food that doesn't make them feel like shit and I'm not out the cash. People seem to want to eat well but have no idea how to.

It is absolutely 100% true that eating well with 0$ is basically impossible in most places but this is rural farm country with a huge local veggie culture and I physically cringe every time I see someone who I know can afford the $15 to buy frozen pizza every other night spend it on that instead of eggs and spinach fresh from the farm.

Some of my rage is definitely jealousy. Also just this horrible sinking feeling of despair when people look at me like I'm a wizard for being able to cook chicken

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Huh. Never really thought about it before but this writer makes a decent case

http://moniquecurrie.sportsblog.com/posts/14568447/should-the-rim-be-lowered-in-women-s-basketball-.html

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options

- it's not cheaper
    - it's not as healthy

Even people with bad taste can hit up the local OG analog. There are plenty of disappointing local Italian places around here too. Hell, there's one down the street that I won't go in anymore but people love that shit.

But what I'm saying is you claim they'd 'see the light' if they just tried the local Italian place. That isn't trivially true. They could go there and go 'ew, not as good, back to OG'

• Options
    Eating at chains will soon be illegal.

Soon chains will be illegal.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

http://moniquecurrie.sportsblog.com/posts/14568447/should-the-rim-be-lowered-in-women-s-basketball-.html

I guess

but re: tennis I think both should play the same # of sets

probably three is fine for everyone

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

Movistar have decided they are racing tomorrow in Belgium even though they are reduced to four riders (not for tragic reasons, just travel disruption). Some riders are apparently arriving literally right now having driven rental cars from Charleroi with the start a little over twelve hours away, but the mood is apparently one of determination to race anyway unless the police say it can't go ahead.

• Options

- it's not cheaper
    - it's not as healthy

But what I'm saying is you claim they'd 'see the light' if they just tried the local Italian place. That isn't trivially true. They could go there and go 'ew, not as good, back to OG'

yeah, that's a fair point. Some people really do just have bad taste and are resistant to improving it, for a host of reasons.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

Women could do monster dunks if the net were like... 6ft in the air

• Options
    Neco wrote: »

rip 2chainz

• Options
    Neco wrote: »

I like not having to think/work all of the freaking time.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options

- it's not cheaper
    - it's not as healthy

yeah, that's a fair point. Some people really do just have bad taste and are resistant to improving it, for a host of reasons.

(Most principally, I think, that they don't agree there's a problem)

• Options
    man, look at that akita!

the thin snout, broad brow, the triangle head... I love the japanese bloodlines so much.

American akitas are substandard. :(

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Did my silly comment about Applebee's really spawn the stupid chain restaurant discussion

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Back when I had SJW friends they said being told your food smelled strange or was weird or otherwise criticising food of other cultures was a great indignity.

#justsayin

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    Did my silly comment about Applebee's really spawn the stupid chain restaurant discussion

No, Spool's kid going to a shitty chain restaurant did.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I don't actually have a strong opinion on chains.

• Options
    I'm surprised more women can't dunk on a regulation net. Lots of shorter men can dunk, and while the response might be that they're more powerful with a bigger vert, don't women of a given weight typically weigh less? I'd expect them to not need as much power.

• Options

- it's not cheaper
    - it's not as healthy

(Most principally, I think, that they don't agree there's a problem)

I mean, any education runs afoul of this, from basic English grammar and math literacy and spreading in all directions.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

I guess

but re: tennis I think both should play the same # of sets

probably three is fine for everyone

Eh... Feel attached to 5, but it's basically just the slams right? Isn't 3 pretty normal for men in, everything/a lot of other tennis organizations?

This discussion has been closed.