As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] The last hurrah before the NeXt generation arrives.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    The sword controls can be finicky, that's about it, but it can be frustrating when you gotta hurry and cut something a certain way for like a boss fight and it doesn't do it right

Yeah, this is basically it. There are times when you'll need to do specifically a right->left swing or something like that, and you have a split second to do it in, and getting the sword in position to do it triggers a sword swing in the opposite direction, and now you took damage. You just have to train yourself to always bring the remote to a ready position you can go into any direction from.

Other than that, I had no problems with the controls. It's a very good game, I think it's probably the strongest zelda.

I remember pointing the controller straight at the screen and flicking in the appropriate direction as required. While, I did appreciate that the combat had a lot more going on (i.e. every fight is a puzzle) it also totally ruined the immersion of swing a sword.... which you would was the point of motion controls in the first place.

That being said, I liked the game overall.

Kriegaffe on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Huh, I knew the harp in Skyward Swors was awful but it never dawned on me before that it was harp waggle. Kinda fitting for everything that made Wii popular.... shake it like an idiot and yay everybody wins!

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Skyward Sword was OK except for

1. A vast, endless Sky to explore.... that's nearly completely empty
    2. Whenever the waggle didn't work intuitively (which was a lot)
    3. Fighting The Imprisoned a hundred times
    4. The final dungeon. I hate fucking sliding tile puzzles, and they made the entire final dungeon, literally, physically a sliding tile puzzle. FUCK YOU, DUNGEON.

Fix those things and Skyward Sword would be a classic. As it is, I wouldn't play through it more than once. Really, the only Zelda I come back to repeatedly is Wind Waker. I really think they perfected the formula with that one.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I didn't have too many complaints about how Skyward Sword controlled. I did have complaints about it being way too linear and handholdy. Fortunately, Breath of the Wild looks to be fixing everything I didn't like about Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

4. The final dungeon. I hate fucking sliding tile puzzles, and they made the entire final dungeon, literally, physically a sliding tile puzzle. FUCK YOU, DUNGEON.

Fix those things and Skyward Sword would be a classic. As it is, I wouldn't play through it more than once. Really, the only Zelda I come back to repeatedly is Wind Waker. I really think they perfected the formula with that one.

I'll grant the first 3.

But no, the sliding block dungeon was GREAT. I half wish it was bigger. Like, it's a 3x3 block slider, it's not that hard to make 2-3 things go together. The time to slide stuff was too long by a bit though admittedly.

The sword controls are definitely why people love it or hate it overall though. I had almost no problems with them except the final Ghirahim fight, where it gets insane to get the final hit in. I forgave the game for getting close to WW's Ganondorf kill with the final boss though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    People always talk shit about the Sky, but I'm glad that Nintendo put much more work into the land. To me, the Sky was never anything more than a town/hub area. The real game was played on the solid ground below. Hell, I prefer it over the Great Sea. Flying and sailing are equally boring ways to get around, but at least there's a lot less of it in SS.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

I'll grant the first 3.

But no, the sliding block dungeon was GREAT. I half wish it was bigger. Like, it's a 3x3 block slider, it's not that hard to make 2-3 things go together. The time to slide stuff was too long by a bit though admittedly.

The sword controls are definitely why people love it or hate it overall though. I had almost no problems with them except the final Ghirahim fight, where it gets insane to get the final hit in. I forgave the game for getting close to WW's Ganondorf kill with the final boss though.

What's with people not liking sliding tile puzzles in general? It's true that they're pretty trivial once you grasp the mechanics behind them, but I don't think that that's what people are complaining about.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    The sword controls can be finicky, that's about it, but it can be frustrating when you gotta hurry and cut something a certain way for like a boss fight and it doesn't do it right

Yeah, this is basically it. There are times when you'll need to do specifically a right->left swing or something like that, and you have a split second to do it in, and getting the sword in position to do it triggers a sword swing in the opposite direction, and now you took damage. You just have to train yourself to always bring the remote to a ready position you can go into any direction from.

Other than that, I had no problems with the controls. It's a very good game, I think it's probably the strongest zelda.

I remember pointing the controller straight at the screen and flicking in the appropriate direction as required. While, I did appreciate that the combat had a lot more going on (i.e. every fight is a puzzle) it also totally ruined the immersion of swing a sword.... which you would was the point of motion controls in the first place.

That being said, I liked the game overall.

Hmmmm, maybe that's part of the issue? You don't have to point the remote to the TV to swing. I just do small motions with my wrist as it's laying in my lap and it seems fine.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I don't recall the sliding thing feeling like an actual 1-15 slide puzzle. You didn't play it the same way, I don't think? Just lined up what you wanted to get to, which wasn't too tough?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Sales figures:

Mario Kart 8 - 8.00 million pcs.
    New Super Mario Bros. U - 5.45 million pcs.
    Super Mario 3D World - 5.19 million pcs.
    Nintendo Land - 5.13 million pcs.
    Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 4.99 million pcs.
    Splatoon - 4.57 million pcs.
    Super Mario Maker - 3.73 million pcs.
    New Super Luigi U - 2.74 million pcs.
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - 1.98 million pcs.
    Mario Party 10 - 1.94 million pcs.

By comparison, Mario Kart Wii sold 36.83 million.

Wii U hardware fell 53% year-on-year to just 560,000 units sold over the last six months, but they already told us they were clearing out stock so that's not too surprising.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    What's the total units sold for the WiiU now?

• Options
    IGN didn't say, but Nintendo themselves reported 13.36 million as of Sept. 30.

Given the crazy-low stock they've reported it looks like the final sales of Wii U will be below 14 million.

The previous low-water mark was the Gamecube at 21.74 million.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    So do we have any clue what "Project Giant Robot" is?

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/161026_2e.pdf

That pdf lists upcoming 3rd party software titles still left to be released for the Wii U as well.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    IGN didn't say, but Nintendo themselves reported 13.36 million as of Sept. 30.

Given the crazy-low stock they've reported it looks like the final sales of Wii U will be below 14 million.

The previous low-water mark was the Gamecube at 21.74 million.

They are forecasting 800k more units to be sold by end of quarter March 2017 so it'll probably be above 14 million but not by much.

Edit nevermind. They are forcasting 800k units to be sold in the fiscal year ending in 2017 of which the actuals are already 560k. So only expecting another 240k in sales.

see: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/161026e.pdf

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Never mind here as well.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    800k is listed in the forecast column for Apr. '16-Mar. '17. So I think my updated post is correct now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Quick question, Google failed me, I've an old Wii balance board. My current bathroom scales have failed me so I thought I'd hook this up to the Wii u. What's the easiest way to get my weight? I've only got the Wii version of Wii fit, do I need to boot in to Wii mode each time just to weigh myself? Is there anything I can do on the Wii u without having a disc in?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    So it turns out that Paper Mario Color Splash is my second favorite game in the franchise. It's super witty, very fun, and does some really clever stuff with the aesthetic.

The order of enjoyability:

TTYD
    Color Splash
    Paper Mario
    SPM
    Sticker Star

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    One of the big problems with Skyward Sword's controls was that they worked differently than any other Wii game before then. The game exclusively used the Wii Motion+ gyros and didn't use the IR sensor at all which meant players trained by all of the other Wii games that used the IR sensor were easily confused. The biggest casualty of this mindset is accessing items: a lot of people tried to point at them using the familiar IR pointing mechanics only for the game to be expecting you to move the controller relative to the position it was in when you opened the menu, leading to unexpected behavior. Once you wrap your head around that fact it makes controlling the game so much better.

• Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    I'm starting my first playthrough of Skyward Sword tomorrow ... wish me luck.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Skyward Sword is pretty great so enjoy. :)

I just hated all silent realm stuff. Fortunately it's rare in the game.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    McFodder wrote: »
    Yeah, I was only an hour or so in, really the first time you actually need to fight a bunch of zombies
    when they attack the safehouse, so about the second or third mission.

Think I was just in the wrong frame of mind and got a bit frustrated with it. It's a fair while since I've played anything 'actiony' but I'll give it another shot.

@McFodder I can suggest some tips for that particular segment.
    A couple of the better places to make a stand, should you not want to be out in the open, are the small enclosed area right across from where you exit the safehouse (the one with a bunch of travel brochures) and the one in the furthest upper right hand corner with the shutter door (and the rotating poster-sized ad out front). These are good places to take the fight for bursts of time, but its doubtful that you can get through this entire segment having fought without covering some ground.

The first area is a decent place to start and get 2-3 kills off, but its easy to get overwhelmed there too if you aren't careful. Its advantage is also its disadvantage, which is that it only has two points of entry. Also that the area is divided by a sort of half wall that separates the doors on either side. Zombies will be slow to get from one half to the other and you can barricade one of the doors to keep your chances up. If you go that route best to get the hell out of there as soon as, or before, the barricaded door breaks down.

As you are fleeing the best place to go is back out toward the safe house and left. There is an area with a fence that has space to crawl under and also a door. You can use the door and one shot kill any zombies crawling underneath. A crawling zombie is always a one hit kill with the cricket bat, which really benefits your ability to thin out heards and save ammo.

That second area I mentioned, with the shutter door, also has that advantage of being the method for which zombies will try to pursue you if the doors are closed (or barricaded). This makes this the best place in the area that you can fight in for killing. Its disadvantage is that it is small and has THREE points of entry, two regular doors and the shutter door itself. Getting overwhelmed there is dangerous so it is best to go this area if you have . . . I would say three or less zombies to deal with.

There will also come a point where it seems like the wave of zombies is through but after a slight pause you will hear over the transmitter that another wave is coming. This one is smaller and easier to dispatch though so if you made it through the first the second shouldn't be too big of an issue. Best things to do are just fight in the areas that are to your advantage, barricade when you can, flee if you get put in a tough spot, and use your gun if you simply can't melee your way through. Conserving ammo is going to help you in the long run so its good to aim for that, but its always best to spend the bullets if the alternative is death.

Didn't think I was going to type that much but, there you go! I went through that particular sequence a lot on my way to finally getting my no deaths save.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    dipuc4life wrote: »
    I'm starting my first playthrough of Skyward Sword tomorrow ... wish me luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uKIeamPi2Y

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Huh, I always thought he said "report" there.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Thanks for the Zombi U advice guys, and hearing that it's a good game all the way through is encouraging! It seemed like a lot of the zombies were taking a whole bunch of hits to take down so I'll work on my headshots and give it another crack.

I think I'd been backing myself into corners too much to make sure nothing could come from behind me but ended up getting overwhelmed anyway, will try some of the new tactics suggested :)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    Thanks for the Zombi U advice guys, and hearing that it's a good game all the way through is encouraging! It seemed like a lot of the zombies were taking a whole bunch of hits to take down so I'll work on my headshots and give it another crack.

I think I'd been backing myself into corners too much to make sure nothing could come from behind me but ended up getting overwhelmed anyway, will try some of the new tactics suggested :)

Yeah, you don't want your back to the wall, you want your back to a clear path to retreat.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Is it a fool's game to think that once the Switch comes out, Nintendo published WiiU games will go on clearance?

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure most Wii games are still almost full price.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    Heh, I'm just replaying Skyward Sword myself!
    I have to say, it's a very different experience the second time around!
    Take the empty skyworld for example. The first time around you fly around there with all these expectations, but then you gradually find out there's nothing at all. It's such a huge letdown. But if you already know what you're dealing with, it's just an enjoyable element.
    That being said, while I'm absolutely in love with the first half of the game, the second half is a complete letdown. It takes place almost entirely in old areas and the few new places it adds are riddled with the most annoying side-tasks. I feel this is all stuff that would be okish as optional side-content, but while playing I feel like they didn't bother to really make content for the second half fo the game. Take the lake-area which looks bland and awfull and feels like somethign that was thrown together in the last minute. The volcano is the same, thematically identical with your first visit. And the desert fares a little better, but not by much.
    So while I have a great new apreciation for the early sections of the game, I have to say the second half is only filled with annoying crap, so I have very mixed feelings about the game now.

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure most Wii games are still almost full price.

Part of that is supposedly due to Wii games being backwards compatible.

• Options
    Finally finished Earthbound. Loved it! Thoroughly bizarre but awesome.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    So are Wii virtual console games actually better looking compared to playing the physical disc in Wii mode?

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Did somebody say... eSplats?

0B8Pbh4.jpg

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    how doe that work exactly? Nothing in-game to manage it, right?

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Some of the titles became Nintendo Selects, so there's that for discounting...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    Huh, I always thought he said "report" there.

Same. Now it feels like the audio version of that ballerina silhouette animation, where I hear it definitely as one way until I decide to try hearing it the other way, and then it switches.

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Quick question, Google failed me, I've an old Wii balance board. My current bathroom scales have failed me so I thought I'd hook this up to the Wii u. What's the easiest way to get my weight? I've only got the Wii version of Wii fit, do I need to boot in to Wii mode each time just to weigh myself? Is there anything I can do on the Wii u without having a disc in?

You need to go to Wii mode. You can't do anything without the disc in with your current set up.

You could get Wii Fit U with the Fit Meter for cheap depending on where you are, if that's of any interest to you. I don't know how much Wii Fit U is to download but the Meter is cheap enough by itself if you want to go without a disc.

The Fit Meter is essentially just a pedometer, but it will also count calories towards a target set in the software to aid with weight loss.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    I picked up Fit U for $20 on amazon.

I think I actually prefer the original Wii Fit. Fit U has a weird system where anybody you add as another user has to be added via NNID - you can't just drop in another Mii from the system - and there's a whole bunch of menu cruft to dig around through to get to the actual exercise activities. I liked that in Wii Fit you could dig deeper and find workout plans or tracking, but in Fit U it's all kind of right up front and in the way of me popping in to do a quick set of rowing squats or whatever.

Maybe that's what the core product audience wanted? I guess if you're a mom looking for a canned fitness plan it's better than being presented with the options piecemeal in Wii Fit. YMMV.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    Does fit u install a channel? That's the main thing, I don't want to keep swapping a disc. Sounds lazy but I simply won't weigh myself if I have to!

I could go digital but at £30 I might as well just buy another set of scales.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    There's a channel you can install that let's you do your daily weigh-in without the disc.

This discussion has been closed.