As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] The last hurrah before the NeXt generation arrives.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I'm glad I picked up Color Splash. This game has a crapload of well crafted charm. It's not the RPG I want but still a great game.

Unless they surprise us, this is my last Wii U game and not a bad note to go on!

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I really need to drop in at Target one day this week to see what they have Wii U-wise for their B2G1F sale.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Wii U production is reportedly ending this week.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Honestly I'm a little surprised it hasn't already.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    So Color Splash is actually worth buying? I found Sticker Star to be really disappointing, has it been significantly improved over that?

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Took advantage of the aforementioned By 2 Get 1 Free at Target.
    dm9ndj.jpg
    WAHOO!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    So Color Splash is actually worth buying? I found Sticker Star to be really disappointing, has it been significantly improved over that?

To me, it's the second best Paper Mario games made. It has some amazing and funny writing and some of the most clever world design I've seen from the series.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Like, if you think Sticker Star was a sin against life itself, a personal crap taken on the fans by Shigeru Miyamoto himself out of pure spite, then nothing anyone can say will improve Color Splash enough to make it worth playing.

However, there is a list of things that I can confidently say were improved over Sticker Star, which may be enough to raise it from mediocrity to interest, though your milage may vary.

- Enemies now drop "Hammer Chips" when defeated; collecting enough of these increases the maximum amount of paint you can carry. Larger cards consume more paint (Fire Flowers, Ice Flowers, and "Whatever x3" cards are particularly paint-hungry), so increasing your paint supply is necessary to use your attacks at full power, assuming you don't blow all your money on pre-painted cards. This produces something of your classic RPG power treadmill, though I did find myself still bypassing fights whever I could.
    - Things now turn directly into cards wherever you find them, rather than having to be taken back to a compressor. There are also "replica" Thing cards that have the same effect as the normal Things in battle, meaning you can be a bit looser with how often you use them.
    - You are no longer chastised for failing to defeat bosses with the correct Thing. More often they either don't have a Thing weakness, or if they do, using the right Thing is 100% necessary to defeat them and you'll be warned in blaringly obvious terms which one it is. As in pre-battle dialog, in-battle dialog, and a separate "Thing Oracle" who lives in a trash can will tell you what Thing you need if you're capable of reading basic English.
    - Cutouts no longer require basic battle cards. Any time you have to advance the game by sticking a card in a cutout, it will be a Thing card. And the Thing Oracle will tell you which one you need if you get stuck.
    - Bowser has a speaking role and an actual motive this time.
    - The game is chock full of all the usual head-fakes and zaniness you expect from Paper Mario. All the side characters are Toads, sure, but they're differentiated well enough that literally the only thing changing the sprite would change about them would be that they looked like a Mouser instead of a Toad or whatever.

I liked it a lot, and I've had the final boss theme stuck in my head for days. But on the other hand, I didn't consider Sticker Star a direct insult. Make of my opinion what you will.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    In Color Splash, Morton was such a lovable moron I almost felt bad having to stomp him.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    PAIN STAR!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Bring me a pedal-stool!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    MORTON... MORE LIKE... LESS-TON.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Lego Dimensions has now made my 11 year old want to play Spy Hunter over and over again.

You're doing good work Midway Lego Dimensions pack.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Lego Dimensions has now made my 11 year old want to play Spy Hunter over and over again.

I'm hoping that the game gets a normal release at some point, I'd love to be able to play it without having to shell out for a ton of plastic.
    Kupi wrote: »
    Like, if you think Sticker Star was a sin against life itself, a personal crap taken on the fans by Shigeru Miyamoto himself out of pure spite, then nothing anyone can say will improve Color Splash enough to make it worth playing.

However, there is a list of things that I can confidently say were improved over Sticker Star, which may be enough to raise it from mediocrity to interest, though your milage may vary.

- Enemies now drop "Hammer Chips" when defeated; collecting enough of these increases the maximum amount of paint you can carry. Larger cards consume more paint (Fire Flowers, Ice Flowers, and "Whatever x3" cards are particularly paint-hungry), so increasing your paint supply is necessary to use your attacks at full power, assuming you don't blow all your money on pre-painted cards. This produces something of your classic RPG power treadmill, though I did find myself still bypassing fights whever I could.
    - Things now turn directly into cards wherever you find them, rather than having to be taken back to a compressor. There are also "replica" Thing cards that have the same effect as the normal Things in battle, meaning you can be a bit looser with how often you use them.
    - You are no longer chastised for failing to defeat bosses with the correct Thing. More often they either don't have a Thing weakness, or if they do, using the right Thing is 100% necessary to defeat them and you'll be warned in blaringly obvious terms which one it is. As in pre-battle dialog, in-battle dialog, and a separate "Thing Oracle" who lives in a trash can will tell you what Thing you need if you're capable of reading basic English.
    - Cutouts no longer require basic battle cards. Any time you have to advance the game by sticking a card in a cutout, it will be a Thing card. And the Thing Oracle will tell you which one you need if you get stuck.
    - Bowser has a speaking role and an actual motive this time.
    - The game is chock full of all the usual head-fakes and zaniness you expect from Paper Mario. All the side characters are Toads, sure, but they're differentiated well enough that literally the only thing changing the sprite would change about them would be that they looked like a Mouser instead of a Toad or whatever.

I liked it a lot, and I've had the final boss theme stuck in my head for days. But on the other hand, I didn't consider Sticker Star a direct insult. Make of my opinion what you will.

What about the sense of adventure? Did they add that back in, or does it still hint at it just enough to make its absence keenly felt?

jothki on
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Not sure precisely what you mean, but in many cases you're going back to previous levels to reach new areas and further the story. There are also some fun side-stories and interesting characters to find. It feels adventure-y.

I really do appreciate the hint systems they have in the game. It never feels too onerous to figure out what you have to do to beat bosses or progress.

edzepp on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

I'm hoping that the game gets a normal release at some point, I'd love to be able to play it without having to shell out for a ton of plastic.

They added a feature that lets you rent a hero with an ability you don't have for a puzzle, which really cuts down on the cost. And the base game is certainly playable and beatable with the 3 characters you get. It's not a perfect system though, and if you care about getting 100% or near that, then you are buying some sets. At bare minimum you need one character from a series to play in that hub world. Just doing that gets you 90% of the way, but even then that's quite an investment. I'm looking at the table holding them, and even though they're cheap, at 2-4 figures a box, there's a lot of little lego dudes/dudettes/gadgets sitting there. And a ton of them are useless/redundant to boot (every other one is a car for christs sake)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Bring me a pedal-stool!

Best boss line. Morton had one of the best personalities.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

They added a feature that lets you rent a hero with an ability you don't have for a puzzle, which really cuts down on the cost. And the base game is certainly playable and beatable with the 3 characters you get. It's not a perfect system though, and if you care about getting 100% or near that, then you are buying some sets. At bare minimum you need one character from a series to play in that hub world. Just doing that gets you 90% of the way, but even then that's quite an investment. I'm looking at the table holding them, and even though they're cheap, at 2-4 figures a box, there's a lot of little lego dudes/dudettes/gadgets sitting there. And a ton of them are useless/redundant to boot (every other one is a car for christs sake)

I thought Jothki was just referring to the Midway collection?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

I thought Jothki was just referring to the Midway collection?

The whole thing in general.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    From the recent Animal Crossing: New Leaf update (nvm the typo):

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I think the typo is also a good representation of that item's foibles

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    I have a feeling the Wii U will be like the Dreamcast, in that no one owned it, everyone looks back fondly at it, and all of its best games were ported to other consoles so it's not really necessary to hang onto.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Cokomon wrote: »
    I have a feeling the Wii U will be like the Dreamcast, in that no one owned it, everyone looks back fondly at it, and all of its best games were ported to other consoles so it's not really necessary to hang onto.

Well, that last part I find unlikely. Some of them sure. Not all.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Breath of the Wild is already coming to the Switch.

Well, so far we have rumored or hinted to be ported to the Switch:
    - Splatoon
    - Mario Maker
    - Mario Kart 8
    - Smash Bros Wii U

In addition, we already have Yoshi's Wooly World and Mario Maker coming out on 3DS.

Zombie U and Rayman Origins have been ported to PS4/XB1/PC.

I guess the only stragglers are the other Mario games, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101 and Lego City Stories. I could see Bayonetta 1 & 2 getting another re-release is third game is ever on the way.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options

Pretty much everything about the Wii U feels like Nintendo was trying to create a modernized Dreamcast.

• Options
    I would rebuy Pikmin 3 for the Switch.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    More people need to play The Wonderful 101. It will never get ported though. It will just be lost to history :(

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular

- Splatoon
    - Mario Maker
    - Mario Kart 8
    - Smash Bros Wii U

In addition, we already have Yoshi's Wooly World and Mario Maker coming out on 3DS.

I guess the only stragglers are the other Mario games, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101 and Lego City Stories. I could see Bayonetta 1 & 2 getting another re-release is third game is ever on the way.

Xenoblade X and Tokyo Mirage Sessions?

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

Pretty much everything about the Wii U feels like Nintendo was trying to create a modernized Dreamcast.

Which is why it's the best console of its generation, yes.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    There's problem about eulogising the Wii U in that everyone has completely different benchmarks about what qualifies as a success.

I mean, objectively the Wii U was financial disaster. Everyone agrees about that.

From a games perspective, I see wildly differing expectations. For example:

It's a disaster because:
    - It's not as/more powerful than the PS4
    - All the big 3rd party games (GTA, CoD, AC, Dark Souls, etc) abandoned it.
    - It barely has any sports games, racing games, or a bunch of other standard genres.
    - It doesn't have new iterations of Metroid or F-Zero and Zelda has been massively delayed.
    - The GamePad looks like a toy, is expensive and was barely utilised
    - They screwed up Star Fox.
    - The indie scene is better supported on the other consoles.

Alternatively, it's a success because:
    - Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong and others are all best in class.
    - It's the home of local co-op gaming
    - It was the console where Nintendo got online gaming (mostly) right.
    - AAA development is eating itself, churning out yearly uninspired sequels and Nintendo games look like a breath of fresh air in comparison.
    - Bayonetta
    - Very convenient, especially for families.
    - Virtual console is still very handy to have, and indie support is pretty good.
    - 2nd party developed games are occasionally completely amazing. I'd much rather get more Pokken Tournaments than another 2D Mario game.
    - Occasionally the second screen gameplay offers up fantastic experiences.

I think discussions about the console are always going to depend on how much each of those points meant to people individually.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    My synopsis on it more or less hasn't changed. Do you like Nintendo games? Are you OK with the current paradigm that has existed since the N64 days, wherein there are next to no 3rd party games, and your entire library will consist of 99% Nintendo games? And are you OK with a bare bones minimum online offering wherein said offering is just a button in a game that says "play with/against another human", with no bells and whistles or other quality of life functions (except the following: their online store and handling of a friends list are essentially on par with PSN/Live)?

Are you fine with a box that will never do anything more complicated than let you play Mario Kart against a random person across the world?

You'll love the Wii U.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

- Splatoon
    - Mario Maker
    - Mario Kart 8
    - Smash Bros Wii U

No joke, I think I would probably re-buy TMS if I could play it on a Switch.

That, and if they fix the subtitle problem.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited November 2016

- Splatoon
    - Mario Maker
    - Mario Kart 8
    - Smash Bros Wii U

My bad, I honestly forgot to include these two, but it's mostly because JRPGs very rarely on my radar anymore. You're right in that they should be included.

Although I could see Switch port of both Xenoblade games. Maybe called The Xenoblade Chronicles Chronicles.

Cokomon on
    post.png
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular

- Splatoon
    - Mario Maker
    - Mario Kart 8
    - Smash Bros Wii U

My bad, I honestly forgot to include these two, but it's mostly because JRPGs very rarely on my radar anymore. You're right in that they should be included.

Although I could see Switch port of both Xenoblade games. Maybe called The Xenoblade Chronicles Chronicles.

Super Xenoblade All-Stars

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

- Splatoon
    - Mario Maker
    - Mario Kart 8
    - Smash Bros Wii U

Whatever that Mario Kart they showed on the Switch was, it looked different than MK8.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I enjoyed Skyward Sword, but anything done while flying was super lame. Also, I didnt care for Ghirahim or the Imprisoned at all. I played through the Twilight Princess thrice, but Skyward Sword probably won't be played again.

Kriegaffe wrote: »
    More people need to play The Wonderful 101. It will never get ported though. It will just be lost to history :(

I enjoyed playing that game, but for some reason I can't get myself to play it again. I think restarting without all the cool moves would be annoying. Plus I didn't miss much on my first playthrough.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

- Splatoon
    - Mario Maker
    - Mario Kart 8
    - Smash Bros Wii U

No joke, I think I would probably re-buy TMS if I could play it on a Switch.

That, and if they fix the subtitle problem.

I haven't played it and I'm curious what you mean by "subtitle problem".

Do you consider it not having English voices to be a problem or do you mean something else?

• Options
    Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    No subtitles during combat? Sure, most seem simple stock phrases, but it'd still be nice to know what they're talking about. Not to mention the bits of actual dialog at the start/end of boss fights.

Fairly minor problem to me, but a blemish on an otherwise pretty great game. (That reminds me, I should pick it back up again. Wasn't done yet.)

• Options
    OMG! I just discovered the Secret Stuff in the digital manual for Color Splash! In particular there was an entry concerning something that happens during the Orange Paint Star storyline. That's amazing!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
This discussion has been closed.