As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prisoner Cell Block [Chat]

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    My favorite thing about the show The Americans is that all the soviet people say each others full names in conversations all the time. Even dialogues.

Like,
    "Arkady Ivanovich, the weather is nice today"
    "It sure is, Oleg Igorevich Burov"

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    My favorite thing about the show The Americans is that all the soviet people say each others full names in conversations all the time. Even dialogues.

Like,

culturally i don't know if this is how it would be in a professional setting but it just feels right

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I prefer Thor-speak myself, Chanus user-of-Chat.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Like,

culturally i don't know if this is how it would be in a professional setting but it just feels right

It really does, Chanus Uzibear Bruhbro.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    [flippantly] I prefer Elcor-speak myself

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Like,

It's normal to use someone's first name and patronymic if you aren't their intimate. It's not normal to use their last name as well. So I'd probably call my colleague Grigori Sergeeich or Anna Pavlovna or whatever, but I'd call my friend just Anna or Anya. Basically, if you would use the formal 'you' (vui) you would also use the patronymic.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Heralds shall announce each of our comings and tell of the deeds we have done.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I like this song. Damn my love for Enrique. He's beautiful.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hrDAd2Ieh5k

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    excuse me please refer to me as my forum personage :Orphane: of the Clan: Chat

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »

Like,

It's normal to use someone's first name and patronymic if you aren't their intimate. It's not normal to use their last name as well. So I'd probably call my colleague Grigori Sergeeich or Anna Pavlovna or whatever, but I'd call my friend just Anna or Anya. Basically, if you would use the formal 'you' (vui) you would also use the patronymic.

Is zangief an accurate representation of Russians?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Heralds shall announce each of our comings and tell of the deeds we have done.

I don't see that setting in Notifications.

• Options
    Yes we shall, brave Sir OnTheLastCastle.

• Options
    milski wrote: »

Like,

I don't actually know anything about him except he has an accent and a small pair of red underpants.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    excuse me please refer to me as my forum personage That Dolphin Dude

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Like,

I don't actually know anything about him except he has an accent and a small pair of red underpants.

He also fights bears

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Zangief learned to wrestle from bears, or taught bears to wrestle...

Or maybe he was gay and it was euphemism?

Who knows.

• Options
    When translators take out the use of patronymics from Russian literature they are removing essential information about the nature of characters' relationships with each other and it is TERRIBLE, even if more palatable to english-speaking audiences. Similarly, sometimes important information is contained in the use of formal vs informal you, like when in C+P during the scene with Dunya and Svidrigailov and the gun she calls him the informal 'you' for a few sentences and the reader is suddenly like.....huh. Their relationship is closer than I had previously assumed it to be...

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    So I'm hanging out at the office watching Overwatch on twitch waiting for this retirement party.
    The CIO walks in
    He's like
    IS THAT OVERWATCH?!
    I DIDNT THINK IT WAS OUT YET
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    He was also like "Never challenge me in Battlefield I will kick your fucking ass"

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    TTODewback wrote: »
    So I'm hanging out at the office watching Overwatch on twitch waiting for this retirement party.
    The CIO walks in
    He's like
    IS THAT OVERWATCH?!
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Finds out you have a beta key and your pink slip arrives tomorrow

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Are you all at the Renaissance Faire right now

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Well, I just spent an hour and a half helping one customer. *collapse*

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    A dude on NPR just said he injects $150 of prescription pain med Opana a day. Hrm.

• Options
    The CIO walks in
    He's like
    IS THAT OVERWATCH?!
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I work at nerd central. Damn near every group in the building found a way to see Star Wars on company time a few months ago.

• Options
    The CIO walks in
    He's like
    IS THAT OVERWATCH?!
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Everyone knows there is no such thing as a beta key for Blizzard games now

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    The CIO walks in
    He's like
    IS THAT OVERWATCH?!
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Everyone knows there is no such thing as a beta key for Blizzard games now

well there is but it's not like

a keycode

It's ritualistically murdering a young orphan boy and properly displaying his entrails

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    Zangief learned to wrestle from bears, or taught bears to wrestle...

Or maybe he was gay and it was euphemism?

Who knows.
    cvs2_zangief_eagle_spinning.md6

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    I was told there will be beer and wine and a sushi restaurant is coming in and making fresh sushi.
    This is going to be the best retirement party ever.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    That girl's name is Brad?

• Options
    navgoose wrote: »
    The CIO walks in
    He's like
    IS THAT OVERWATCH?!
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I work at nerd central. Damn near every group in the building found a way to see Star Wars on company time a few months ago.

He's a younger german gentlemen.
    He's nice but he's also a businessmen
    If you get in the way of business he will bury you and everyone you love alive and build a bowling alley on top of your unfortunate graves

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »

Bike drag videos always remind me that John Renwick is still knocking about

https://youtube.com/watch?v=SAGELyGZwuo

He is 76 years old and has been developing variations on the same bike and engine (Vincent HRD 50 degree V twin) for like 50 years

• Options
    @FroThulhu I start my bench routine above my old PR I broke a few weeks back and it's more than I weigh

Swole life

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i got infracted for calling gumpy a cotton headed ninny muggins in the glorious edict announcement thread
    it was worth

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Only other ninny muggins's can use the phrase, "cotton headed".

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    #freescheck

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I am catching up with the last couple months' worth of iZombie.

This show delivers them lines

"The composition and lighting were above par for a celebrity sex tape."

"You're too vain to see that he's blinding you with man-jewelry and the promise of a rock-hard ass!"

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I am giving a talk at a big conference and I am very nervous. But I think everything is ready to go.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Huh looked it up I have an infraction for posting in the wrong thread years ago.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.