As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Thread: My Nintendo Is Up. You May Now Panic

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Wow that list is my childhood. I will definitely pick that up when it comes out.

For me it is only missing Tetris

Fuck that's a good point. I didn't even think of it because the Game Boy version was my Tetris, but how the hell is Tetris not on there (licensing, I'm sure)

Well, the GB Tetris and Tetris Axis were pulled from the 3DS eShop, so it's most definitely licensing.

I'm glad I got that when I did then because there's no POINT in a Game Boy Virtual Console without Tetris.

Meh, I can play Tetris DS on my 3DS. The BEST Tetris.

Tetris DS is a weak-ass substitute full of garbage non-Tetris games.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Wow that list is my childhood. I will definitely pick that up when it comes out.

Fuck that's a good point. I didn't even think of it because the Game Boy version was my Tetris, but how the hell is Tetris not on there (licensing, I'm sure)

Well, the GB Tetris and Tetris Axis were pulled from the 3DS eShop, so it's most definitely licensing.

I'm glad I got that when I did then because there's no POINT in a Game Boy Virtual Console without Tetris.

I have to rebuy that at some point - I stupidly got rid of it when my DSLite stopped reading games.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

T-Spins ruined tetris for me

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    What boggles my mind is that Konami licensed Castlevania 1 and 2, Gradius and Super C on there

like that they're still enough in the game to do that

but having Castlevania 2 but not 3 in there and not Contra 1 seems like a gaping hole

same with not having Ninja Gaiden 2

Also I love that when tasked with picking the 30 most essential NES games, someone at Nintendo said oh definitely StarTropics

I'm not even kidding, I fucking love that game

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Well I'm sure Nintendo was like "we'll pay you some money to put you games in this box" and they were like "yes excellent this will help fund the next erotic panchinko machine."

• Options
    august wrote: »
    Well I'm sure Nintendo was like "we'll pay you some money to put you games in this box" and they were like "yes excellent this will help fund the next erotic panchinko machine."

Well, yes, but the point is which games are in there and which ones aren't is baffling. Contra and Castlevania 3 in particular make no sense for exclusion.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I wonder if they will have the ability to add more games to it over time. Probably not if they want to make it as cheap as possible to manufacture, but it would be a way to keep making money off it.

• Options
    I'll say it right now too

that thing better have filter options and borders

specificially, it really, really better not force stretch to widescreen or force a fake CRT blur on there

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Nothing is too crazy for modern Konami

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Nothing is too crazy for modern Konami

Well, aside from creating and releasing a video game.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    I'll say it right now too

that thing better have filter options and borders

specificially, it really, really better not force stretch to widescreen or force a fake CRT blur on there

My guess: all games will be 4:3 but there won't be any filter options.

• Options
    Just came out that the NES Mini controller, which is just a NES controller with a Classic Controller cable, is compatible with Wii U Virtual Console

So you can play those games with an actual NES controller now if you'd like

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    rhylith wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »
    As someone who hasn't bought a single VC game and sold his NES because he was a stupid child

A tiny NES with an hdmi port and save states that comes with an NES controller is really cool and I think 60 bucks is a steal

The controller is what I think makes it worth it.

There's gonna be a ton of parents buying that thing for their kid so they can play old games the way we used to.

Exactly.

The target audience for this thing isn't people who had the Wii/Wii U or kept their old consoles or bought VC games, its people looking for a nostalgia trip and not having to do arcane things to get an older console working on their current TV.

Several people I know hook up their snes to their hdtv and then when I complain about input lag act confused.

Like, they can't tell that the lag is happening or think it always did that.

I play SNES stuff on an HDTV all the time and like

I don't not believe its happening, too many people say it is for it to be nonsense

But I 100% can't tell and I've 100%ed mario world/DKC2 multiple times on there

If you play on a laggy system a lot you'll mentally adjust and just unconsciously learn to buffer your inputs

It's only really an issue if you're doing some kind of 2 player vs or something that relies heavily on audiovisual cues with small timing windows

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

Tetris DS is a weak-ass substitute full of garbage non-Tetris games.

The fuck

• Options
    As someone who hasn't bought a single VC game and sold his NES because he was a stupid child

A tiny NES with an hdmi port and save states that comes with an NES controller is really cool and I think 60 bucks is a steal

There's gonna be a ton of parents buying that thing for their kid so they can play old games the way we used to.

Exactly.

The target audience for this thing isn't people who had the Wii/Wii U or kept their old consoles or bought VC games, its people looking for a nostalgia trip and not having to do arcane things to get an older console working on their current TV.

Several people I know hook up their snes to their hdtv and then when I complain about input lag act confused.

I don't not believe its happening, too many people say it is for it to be nonsense

If you play on a laggy system a lot you'll mentally adjust and just unconsciously learn to buffer your inputs

It's only really an issue if you're doing some kind of 2 player vs or something that relies heavily on audiovisual cues with small timing windows

People who get good at playing on a laggy system can basically become as a god in online multiplayer.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular

Exactly.

Well that explains a few things here.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just came out that the NES Mini controller, which is just a NES controller with a Classic Controller cable, is compatible with Wii U Virtual Console

So you can play those games with an actual NES controller now if you'd like

That's awesome!

That makes me even happier to buy this thing

Because the Classic Controller is garbage, and so is holding the Wii remote sideways for NES games

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    WHY WOULD ANYONE USE THE NES CONTROLLER

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular

nostalgia

• Options

Because it's better than a sideways Wii remote and the Classic Controller

It's right there in my post!

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Also I love that when tasked with picking the 30 most essential NES games, someone at Nintendo said oh definitely StarTropics

I'm not even kidding, I fucking love that game

To be honest, when I saw the list I was like "nah, I've got the ones I want to play on other systems"

Then I saw StarTropics and went "ok maybe I do want this thing"

If only they'd put that on the 3ds vc

• Options
    the nes controller may actually be the worst controller ever made

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

It's not even the worst Nintendo console controller

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    i mean, the nes controller isn't great, but it's actually a lot better than its competitors. nintendo had good D pads on lock.

• Options
    the gamecube and n64 controllers are confusing, but fine

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    It's small, I'll give it that

But the size of the D-pad is just right and there's no annoying groove underneath where your left hand rests (both problems with the sideways Wii remote) and the buttons feel pretty good (unlike the CC)

That's not to say I don't think controllers have improved since then, it would be a sad state of affairs if they hadn't, but some games (Punch-Out, any of the NES Marios) just feel straight-up wrong to me on anything that's not the NES pad, likely due to the horizontal button orientation versus the diagonal

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Castlevania 3 not being on there makes some sense, if they wanted to stick to a certain number of games and didn't want 10% of them to be Castlevania - especially with the idea some people have of not being able to have #2 and #3 without also having #1. Some continuity thing, I dunno.

Then again, Double Dragon 2 and Mega Man 2 are there all on their lonesome. And Super C, although that one doesn't have a number.

Who knows, man.

• Options
    the gamecube controller is worse than the original xbox controller. making it the worst of its respective generation.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I would actually say the Wii Remote is the worst Nintendo controller

Wii Remote + Nunchuk to play more traditional games like Mario Galaxy or Twilight Princess straight-up sucked

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options

I can't use it

Like call it Hand size I guess but it has actually given me bruises

It is a bad controller

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    the n64 controller, i am curious as to their thoughts. probably assumed 2d games were still going to be a big deal so let's have a good d pad on there, but we want to focus on 3d games, so let's make sure we have a analog stick in there, so we can show off how awesome it is.

and then 2d games just used the analog stick as well.

• Options
    The N64 controller is the worst mainline controller made by a major hardware manufacturer and it's not even close

There's no aspect of it that isn't shit

Its unwieldy shape that forces you to hold it in a non-symmetrical fashion

Its weak-ass analog stick, good luck finding one that wasn't loose and limp five years from release, let alone now

The face button layout

The useless D-pad that is, realistically, where the analog stick should be but it's like they were too scared to get rid of the D-pad or something even though basically no games used it

God fuck that stupid monstrosity

• Options
    i had a super pad 64. if it had a better dpad and analog stick it would have been basically perfect for the n64.

• Options
    The 64 pad isn't physically painful to hold

So it beats out an alarming number of controllers

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I hate the WiiU gamepad most

heavy, massive, terrible battery, terrible range, and if you break it, have fun rebuying it!

• Options
    Neveron wrote: »
    Castlevania 3 not being on there makes some sense, if they wanted to stick to a certain number of games and didn't want 10% of them to be Castlevania - especially with the idea some people have of not being able to have #2 and #3 without also having #1. Some continuity thing, I dunno.

Then again, Double Dragon 2 and Mega Man 2 are there all on their lonesome. And Super C, although that one doesn't have a number.

Who knows, man.

Here's the thing though

if you have two Castlevanias on there, it should be 1 and 3.

sig.gif
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Like just compare the NES controller to the SNES and in just one generation you can see how far they came in making a comfortable controller.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I had an NES Advantage. It was awesome because the turbo buttons just felt like offical Nintendo sanctioned cheat modes in some games.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I would actually say the Wii Remote is the worst Nintendo controller

Wii Remote + Nunchuk to play more traditional games like Mario Galaxy or Twilight Princess straight-up sucked

In terms of like

Ability to do what I want in a game with the controls

The only thing worse has been connect

But I'd still put it higher than ten nes pad because it doesn't stab me

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Say what you will about the NES and N64 controllers.

The cord came out of the right part. DREAMCAST.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
This discussion has been closed.