Options

Mirror mirror on the wall... Who's got the biggest quads of them all [Weightlifting]

• Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    As an adult with a full time job and regular responsibilities, and almost ten years of consistent lifting experience under my belt, I would not want any part of that program. I would constantly feel like complete shit, physically and emotionally.

And I run 5/3/1. Just not that lunacy.

Also, “if you get fat, you’re not working hard enough”? Jesus, get fucked, Wendler.

Gork on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Jim Wendler's training information was extremely important for me when I started lifting and I still value his 5/3/1 books.

But everything I read that he writes that isn't directly related to programming and training, and even some that is, elicits that exact reaction. I'm pretty sure he should in fact just get fucked.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Goddamn my squats feel good but my back is not putting up with anything else right now.

I suppose I overdid it at the ranch

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Leg day

Plan was squatting 125kg for triples or 130kg for doubles, however, a real dudebro was squatting in the rack next to me which escalated into an unofficial skwoot-off. Ended up doing 6 singles with 140kg, 130kg for a triple and 120kg for 2x5 reps.

I followed with SSB box squats and block pulls. Decent workout.

g3t6dzwfcle0.jpg

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    The big day is Thursday.

I’m eager to squat.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I did my peak week, it wasn't too bad. Deloading this week.

After five weeks of this program I'm still doing fine. I sometimes want to eat some junk but mostly I get over it, and I've only cheated on the diet significantly once (to eat a pizza hut, that was gross). This month is a little more aggressive, I'd like to see some comparably aggressive results. I'm only down a kilo of weight so far, but I've also made some strength gains along the way.

• Options
    Weight going down and Strength going up is big

• Options
    The only thing that matters is your Wilks.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Piss poor bench session today, misgrooved just about every rep.

sffcb76c45ye.png

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    You still lifted six and a half tonnes, though.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    That's three Range Rovers.

• Options
    Yeah, kept trying to get my form dialed in, but alas the reps looked and felt like shit.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Weight going down and Strength going up is big

I guess so! I suppose I go hard on myself if the weight isn't a personal best; I'm not up to the kind of weight I was pushing when I was 95kg. I'm still mostly happy, I'm starting to look as though I lift again. I'm going after the weight loss a little harder in the next month, leading up to seeing my partner again for the first time iiiiiiinnnnn six months. I wish I'd started earlier, I'm still going to be pretty fluffy by that point.

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Made the mistake of rereading the stronger by science paper all about the bench press. Made me overthink everything about my own technique. I know it will help in the long run, but when you're under your 95%TM, it doesn't do any good to be contemplating whether your elbows are flared too much or too little, and to try to adjust your bar path to get an optimal drive.

Up next is reading the 150 page report that will make me question everything about my deadlift.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    think i'm going to start counting calories again to bulk up
    buckle your MyFitnessPal

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Hit 545 today for test day of squatober

I’m tired

• Options
    A guy called me the N-word at the gym the other day

So that was a new experience for me

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    I hope you called him a silly goose.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    I just blanked him when he tried to talk to me later on. He tried to come up and be friendly once he realised A. I'm white and B. I'd probably heard him when he'd said "we didn't use to have n-words round here", because I was wearing a hoodie and had put Run The Jewels on the bluetooth gym speaker.

• Options
    What a fucking asshole - any chance of him getting kicked out by the management?

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Probably not, I think he'd use the "I'm really old" defense or just deny doing it/say I misheard him. It was just a very weird thing to happen.

• Options
    Yeah, no matter what is said and done he wouldn't have learned a damn thing anyhow.

Quick deadlift/core workout tonight

bvqh2aey0yjz.png

Apparently a 6-pack, homemade chili cheese fries and Stranger Things waiting back home can cut rest times in half.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    3rd week 5/3/1, heavy OHP. Hit my target at 160 and decided to throw on an extra 20#... That did not go all the way up (kinda expected, would have been a 10# increase in a month). Went for heavy doubles for a few sets (7 between the two weights) at 160 and then 155 to finish out. Pretty sure OHP is my favorite lift

• Options
    I think it's aul fella at the gym week. I lift in a shed, on a farm, with only a miniature space heater to keep it at a livable temperature at the onset of winter. Today I went to go and get some water and when I came back an aul fella had come in, turned off the heater and opened all the doors and windows. I closed the door after me.
    "Oh" he says "I suppose you like it warm"
    "Yep"
    "I prefer it cold because it's better for my sinuses"
    "Right" (closes all the windows and turns the heater back on)
    "I suppose we're all different"
    "Uh huh"

I'm not front squatting basically outside at the end of October for your sinuses. Go and do your kettlebells in the fucking car park.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I think it's aul fella at the gym week. I lift in a shed, on a farm, with only a miniature space heater to keep it at a livable temperature at the onset of winter. Today I went to go and get some water and when I came back an aul fella had come in, turned off the heater and opened all the doors and windows. I closed the door after me.
    "Yep"
    "Uh huh"

I'm not front squatting basically outside at the end of October for your sinuses. Go and do your kettlebells in the fucking car park.

do you have pics of this place or do they have a website (sounds like they wouldn't)? it seems like super interesting setup

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    I'm pretty impressed he's managed to find gyms in barns for the last two places he's been (you're not back in Quebec, are you?)

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Elsewhere, this is Larry Williams blowing up 630 like it's nothing. Kid's 22, genes off the charts, feels bad except that almost nobody is on this level so my being mediocre is ok.

• Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    Larry is also open about his gear usage, so don’t feel too bad.

• Options
    I'm pretty impressed he's managed to find gyms in barns for the last two places he's been (you're not back in Quebec, are you?)

This is the same one! Still in Wales
    Nogs wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    "Yep"
    "Uh huh"

do you have pics of this place or do they have a website (sounds like they wouldn't)? it seems like super interesting setup

It's probably not as interesting as it sounds. There's a bog standard fitness centre with some machines and then a shed with the racks and free weights.

• Options
    6 doubles with 130kg on squats.

Been watching Ben Pollack's "unfuck your program" series on YouTube and think I'll try a macro cycle for the next 9 weeks, consisting of 3 weeks of hypertrophy, 4 weeks of strength and 2 weeks of undulating.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    I’m a hair away from my second kilogram lost in six weeks (having lost I think a KG or two before that). At 83 now, I think I’ll start to look pretty decent at 80. Hopefully this doesn’t slow down too much.

• Options
    Out of curiosity, how tall are you?

My first day of the hypertrophy block is in the book - 5 sets of 6 @ my projected 75% 1RM - 112,5kg.

I had programmed 4 sets of 8 on OHP afterwards but couldn't quite get them - I'll probably try a repeat next week.

jd3jca35okl8.jpg

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    I'm 5'11 pretty much on the dot. I got some good news today, so I'm indulging in my first real cheat day in something like two months. I'm going to get a pizza and maybe eat some chocolate. Life is goooooooooooood.

This has been the easiest diet I've ever done, and I haven't really felt the need to cheat, but when I got today's news it was immediately clear that today was a pizza day.

• Options
    One pizza later, I've come to a conclusion: if you have "bad" food because you feel sad, it will not relieve that stress and will not make you feel better. If you have one when that stress has dissipated and you feel happy, that food will make you feel greeeeeaaaaaaaat.

• Options
    Although thinking about it, that could be because these pills I got for my back pain have morphine in them.

• Options
    Could be both. Further pizza required

• Options
    Scale weight this morning, apres pizza and chocolate and avant poo was 85.7kg

Hopefully that's going to calm down a bit.

• Options
    Damn does high rep sets suck. Feels like rabhdo every time I'm done

tzaflkwnnl6q.png

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Low intensity bench and back day. Mostly narrow grip pull-ups, bent-over rows, and triples at 80% with minimal rest on the bench. Seems to be an effective way to take advantage of that first week in a 5/3/1 cycle

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Amazing how much easier bench press is when I do it before squatting. I think from now on Im going to alternate the order on squat/bench day.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
This discussion has been closed.