As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do you enjoy a good ol' Podcast with the boys?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »
    And Brad just said "Unobtanium is a real thing", so this UPF is going all in on the UP part.

It is a real thing, though

It's a catch-all term

Yeah, he didn't mean "the term has actual meaning", he meant "Avatar's plot makes sense because Unobtanium is a real thing that people can mine".

I took it as "I thought it was weird that people were making fun of Avatar for using the goofy name, when the goofy name is actually used in scientific discussion."

BTW, if you guys haven't listened yet, this weeks Beastcast is one of the best they've done. Lots of laughs throughout.

Anywho, been messing with podcast playback speed and I've been enjoying turn it down to half speed during theme music. TWA's was pretty funny at .5 speed.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The Beastcast segment on Destiny has me thinking I should go trade in my copy of Destiny

Fuuuuuuuuck all of that

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Oh hey. Chincy. Never, EVER feel bad about slamming Bleeding Cool. They almost always have done something to deserve it,

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    So I had never listened to MBMBaM before, but downloaded the most recent one (Mario Lopez) to see what that's all about

And uh

I didn't laugh?

Was that a bad episode or am I broken? Is the show maybe an acquired taste?

It just didn't seem very funny at all, don't think I'll be subscribing unless that was an off episode

It took me literally years to like MBMBAM. You have to like the brothers for it to work, I think.

Adventure Zone and Monster Factory are probably better introductions to their sensibilities, imho

Thanks

Having just looked these up, they are about D&D and wrestling? I have no real exposure to or interest in either

I did like the D&D Community episode. I take it it's like that?

I do have an interest in the title "The The Adventure Zone Zone" and what it might entail

But if it's a serialized story, I'm guessing it's advised to start at the beginning?

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    The Beastcast segment on Destiny has me thinking I should go trade in my copy of Destiny

Fuuuuuuuuck all of that

To be fair they got a lot of it wrong

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options

Fuuuuuuuuck all of that

Well now I'm watching them play it on UPF and it still looks awful

Howwwwwww did they fuck this game up again

They had all the goodwill in the world after Taken King!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Fuuuuuuuuck all of that

Well now I'm watching them play it on UPF and it still looks awful

Howwwwwww did they fuck this game up again

They had all the goodwill in the world after Taken King!

"Hey, people actually like the game now!"

"Shit! We didn't plan for this! Panic!"

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Not my cuppa joe!
    Wait, what's wrong with Destiny now?

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I sure do!

It removes any sense of agency for the protagonist.

No I don't.
  • Options

They added even more microtransactions

This time they threw in a bunch of blindboxes for armor, Sparrows, colors, and emotes

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Loot microtransations, basically. You can spend cash to get crates with random item from a specific list of items. Like the TF2 or DOTA2 crates.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    They are blindboxes for stuff given awya during previous events

All the armor they are selling can still be gotten in game

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Not my cuppa joe!
    Wait, is that all?

As long as it's all cosmetic stuff like their last ones that's fine

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I sure do!
    I still haven't gotten to do kings fall either :(

Nobody does normal mode though. They expect you to grind up through iron banner and the other dumb pvp event to get straight into hard mode but the pvp in that game is ass.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I sure do!
    when Dan asked if people in Africa still worshiped Egyptian gods on UPF

I ceased to be

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

This time they threw in a bunch of blindboxes for armor, Sparrows, colors, and emotes

The blindboxes for Sparrows and emotes have always been available for microtransactions. The new armor blindboxes give you pieces with 3 armor, so they're essentially useless and you still need to actually play the game to get endgame level loot to infuse them with. AND you get up to 3 per week per account for free (one for free free, one for completing the new level 41 Prison of Elders, one for a weekly crucible win).

AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    Not my cuppa joe!
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

The blindboxes for Sparrows and emotes have always been available for microtransactions. The new armor blindboxes give you pieces with 3 armor, so they're essentially useless and you still need to actually play the game to get endgame level loot to infuse them with. AND you get up to 3 per week per account for free (one for free free, one for completing the new level 41 Prison of Elders, one for a weekly crucible win).

Yeah, this sounds like a complete non issue

I think some folks just have a knee-jerk negative reaction to microtransactons

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Not my cuppa joe!
    blind boxes in particular cause me to instantly think a lot less of whatever they show up in

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I sure do!
    Depends on what's in them. I think Overwatch has done it well so far, with various sprays and skins. I'm very much not a fan of games giving you the boxes and then saying "Oh yeah but you have to pay to open them". Lookin at you, Valve games.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I sure do!
    blind boxes in particular cause me to instantly think a lot less of whatever they show up in

As someone who is actually playing Destiny right now, the new patch was quite nice.

It added more options for getting up to a high light level (and even included a new loot algorithm that's designed to regularly give you the equipment you need to increase your average light); it fixed some problems with the subclasses (mostly for Warlocks); the new cosmetic stuff is rad (though I keep hoping they'll include a glamor/transmog system); and the blind boxes are implemented in a way I have zero problems with.

EDIT: And the stuff you need to do to get the 3 blind boxes per week are the same things you'd be doing to get your legendary marks and engram drops anyway, so it's like a bonus for doing shit you were already gonna do.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Not my cuppa joe!
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Depends on what's in them. I think Overwatch has done it well so far, with various sprays and skins.

overwatch doesn't have any real money microtransactions yet, does it?

I guess it's probably going to happen after launch though.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I sure do!
    Depends on what's in them. I think Overwatch has done it well so far, with various sprays and skins.

Yeah, it's in beta so I don't think they have a shop up.

They'll almost certainly monetize Overwatch via character skins and other cosmetic stuff, especially since you can already get special skins by preordering it.

Since you get all the heroes on purchase (and it seems highly unlikely they'd charge for map packs or anything gameplay related).

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I sure do!
    I wonder how much Blizzard will charge for that stuff?

If Heroes of the Storm and WoW are anything to go by, they are going to be real pricey.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I sure do!
    Okay the Dan Egyptian gods comment is a lot less terrible in context than you all were making it

Dude asked, while Drew is playing a game based on African mythology, (Specifically Congolian I think he said?) if there was a prevalent religion in Africa, no one had a clear answer and said that there were lots of beliefs and cultures and also Christian influences via missionaries and colonialism. Then he asked if anyone still worshipped the Egyptian gods or if that had died out.

Its still a bit dumb but it isn't like he just went HEY DO AFRICANS STILL WORSHIP THE EGYPTIAN GODS out of nowhere

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Not my cuppa joe!
    So I had never listened to MBMBaM before, but downloaded the most recent one (Mario Lopez) to see what that's all about

And uh

I didn't laugh?

It just didn't seem very funny at all, don't think I'll be subscribing unless that was an off episode

It took me literally years to like MBMBAM. You have to like the brothers for it to work, I think.

Adventure Zone and Monster Factory are probably better introductions to their sensibilities, imho

Thanks

Having just looked these up, they are about D&D and wrestling? I have no real exposure to or interest in either

I do have an interest in the title "The The Adventure Zone Zone" and what it might entail

But if it's a serialized story, I'm guessing it's advised to start at the beginning?

monster factory is not about wrestling

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I sure do!
    Monster Factory is about them making the most hideous characters possible in various character creators.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Not my cuppa joe!
    it's about creating beautiful children

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I sure do!
    Monster Factory is about a factory

of dreams

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

Yeah, it's in beta so I don't think they have a shop up.

They'll almost certainly monetize Overwatch via character skins and other cosmetic stuff, especially since you can already get special skins by preordering it.

Since you get all the heroes on purchase (and it seems highly unlikely they'd charge for map packs or anything gameplay related).

They've already said that the option to buy loot boxes with real money will be in the final game (but you still get one per rank up), and that all future maps and heroes will be free.

• Options
    On this episode we run through a tasting menu of Bradley Cooper’s assholish behavior in the bad-boy chef movie, Burnt. Meanwhile, Elliott recites some lewd Dr. Seuss, Stuart drops some Friday the 13th science, and Dan suggests a new sort of nativity.
    http://www.flophousepodcast.com/2016/04/episode-202-burnt/

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I sure do!
    Complaining about microtransactions? It's like you forgot Destiny is a B2P MMO! :rotate:

• Options
    Not my cuppa joe!
    oh so it's like guild wars

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    oh so it's like guild wars
    But with a tiny fraction of the content

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Not my cuppa joe!
    so it's like guild wars 2 at launch

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Not my cuppa joe!
    so it's like guild wars 2 at launch

As someone who loves GW2, kinda yeah.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular

And uh

I didn't laugh?

Thanks

monster factory is not about wrestling

Might be something wrong with my podcast app. When I search for it, the only thing that comes up is Monster Factory Radio, which appears to be about wrestling

• Options
    Monster Factory is a YouTube series, not a podcast

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I sure do!
    Monster Factory isn't a podcast, it is a video series on YouTube

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I swear to god, one of these weeks I'm gonna try to force these CoolGames Inc boys to design a game that you can actually play with an Xbox controller

6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.