Options

WANTED: Impossible Skillset at Laughable Wage; Part-Time-Only [job] Thread

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    "Hey so I was due for block training like I am every year and I haven't seen any kind of bulletin in months. Do you know what's up with that? Oh so I go to the shared drive and there's actual collected bulletins for the Institution in a magazine-type format? That sounds nice, I'll go check it out when I'm back to my desk."

So I did, and then immediately wondered if I had somehow managed to connect to an Angelfire website because surely this can't be an Intranet page for a government agency, but there's the link to the shared drive folder with the bulletins. Then I looked at what passed for a "magazine" in this place and I about had my own Ark of the Covenant moment. The JPEG artifacts are everywhere, it looks like every scanned image was copied, then that copy was copied, and so on and so forth until they scanned the hundredth copy of the copy and said it was good when you can barely read the words through artifacting. Clipart abounds, gradients galore, stupid header styles from elementary school PowerPoint are on display, and no one understands what the fuck "resolution" means when it comes to images. The front "cover" of this abomination is a picture that must have been a thumbnail before it was blown up to a full-size page by someone who thought if they said the words "ENHANCE!" enough times then it would magically happen.

This is why graphic designers exist, to make sure things like this never see the light of day. But nah gotta save that money and let the OT in charge of it vomit all over EVERYTHING.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hey remember a month or so ago I said my girlfriend had a interview for a job with the state but they decided not to go with her? Well that was at a county location about an hour away, yesterday she got a call from the county we live in, they want to interview her for the same job but in the town we live in next week. And they said she was referred to them by the people who interviewed her in the other county, which sounds like a pretty good reccomendation!

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I am getting a decent stipend to design and build a website for the school district. My helper is the dum dum Network Admin who has never built a website in his life. My experience is limited but I've built some intranet sites that people don't absolutely hate.

They finally signed the paper work saying that yes they were 100% going to pay us today. Because it is a stipend we are supposed to only do the work outside of our normal work hours.

The old website's hosting contract ends on the 30th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7iGmwmHePI

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »
    I work in architecture. I was told today by my boss that I was going to blow the clients mind with a project I was going to submit.

Then i found out blow the clients mind was a bad thing, apparently my submittal was too creative and original. I was literally told, "this is too unique and modern, you need to make this more boring. You need to understand you are not designing to make a good project, you are designing to be generic so the project will sell, this isnt europe, also you cant make a building this green, its too expensive and this isnt europe."

She saw my face and at that moment I just felt sorry for her, its like she had given up on design. She asked what I was thinking and i just flippently responded "well i dont think this is going to change the way I build things" and she almost fired me on the spot. Soooooo if you want to know why all the buildings in Seattle and south of Seattle that are going up right now all look the same I will direct you to my boss.

I need to attempt to be more mediocre... I am working in the wrong place.

Holy shit we need a mayor and city council willing to tell Bezos and real estate speculators to fuck right off.

Or another tech crash. The Hill is already almost nothing but five-over-ones that are being constantly vandalized by heroin and meth addicts.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Mentally, I have a hard time separating Amazon's footprint with the footprint big studio had in Michigan.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I work in architecture. I was told today by my boss that I was going to blow the clients mind with a project I was going to submit.

Then i found out blow the clients mind was a bad thing, apparently my submittal was too creative and original. I was literally told, "this is too unique and modern, you need to make this more boring. You need to understand you are not designing to make a good project, you are designing to be generic so the project will sell, this isnt europe, also you cant make a building this green, its too expensive and this isnt europe."

She saw my face and at that moment I just felt sorry for her, its like she had given up on design. She asked what I was thinking and i just flippently responded "well i dont think this is going to change the way I build things" and she almost fired me on the spot. Soooooo if you want to know why all the buildings in Seattle and south of Seattle that are going up right now all look the same I will direct you to my boss.

I need to attempt to be more mediocre... I am working in the wrong place.

Yep, at this point you have two choices (based on what I've heard from my Dad, who worked in commercial and private architecture for decades) - Either you need to go to a firm more suited to your style and make less money (as you probably will make less money there), or you need to speak to this audience in a language they'll understand.
    His buildings were the only ones in the school district that didn't need retrofits for energy efficiency during the downturn funding, despite having been built about 30 years ago. He originally sold this by talking about the energy efficiency as it relates to continuing maintenance cost, things like natural light spurring increased productivity etc. It wasn't easy, but he was able to get there. If you can look through that lens and justify the up-front expense as something that will be more than made back in 5 or 10 years (also consider regulatory tightening and retrofit cost), people will be more willing to go with it as they can get a PR win up front and a financial win over time.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

Apparently it's a bomb threat. That's one way to start the morning.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Oh fuck this goddamn country...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    It's funny how all the news folks line up when the K-9 unit appears.

"Oh shit we got dogs now! Everybody close in on the dog!"

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hey, does anybody know how you do that weird eldritch font thing where it looks like characters are expanding downward or whatever?

After my last day on Friday, I want to set my out of office to something kinda creepy and weird. Nothing offensive or mean or anything, just baffling to anyone who happens to send an email to me after I'm no longer there, if it takes them a while to shut down my email address.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Never mind, found it.

https://eeemo.net/

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    On that month long honeymoon/vacation/awesome thing I was talking about earlier (doing the Michigan Lake Circle Tour, in Traverse City now and camping in Manistee National Forest the next 2 nights), and my paycheck today was more than double it should have been. 20 minutes of panic and email checking and apparently the UW System gave an income based bonus ($2000 for under 25k, $1500 for 25k-30k, and $1000 for 30k-40k).

My first bonus (ever!) couldn't have come at a better time. Time to live up this honeymoon a bit more. (Parentheses!)

• Options
    What does it say aboutme when I thought green the color and not green the tech?

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    Sassori wrote: »
    So I'm about to go into my evaluation meeting with my supervisor. Typically I have always gotten my evaluations the day before the meeting so I can review it before we chat, but this is a different person than I have met with in the past. So I don't know if she just doesn't do that or if there's some sort of "fun" surprise in store.

Yaaaaay

Surprise promotion, obviously

So the evaluation was great and I'm definitely getting an increase. I was given a range of what it could be, but I won't know for sure until after the Board of Trustees meeting when they approve it.

Obviously, I'm hoping for the maximum range and not the minimum, but I won't let myself get excited until I actually see this increase on my paycheck in a month.

• Options
    Four tiny hours, and I'm off, a mere 18 hours this week.

And now middle brother emails for money, while my temp agency needs me to re apply to get work.

• Options
    Bomb scare resulted in courts being closed for the day and me going home early.

Trying very hard not to say "Thanks for the half-day, anonymous psychos!", even jokingly.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Had an interview this morning. I don't have an email for the manager who interviewed me, and she specifically said, "If you have any other questions, just email (recruiter) and she'll be able to pass them on to us."

How do I handle the thank you email? Do I email the recruiter and ask her to pass on how grateful I am for opportunity, or am I supposed to do some internet stalking to send it direct?

Peccavi on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Tossrock wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    I can't even imagine what it's like to have a first date with a person, and have them talk about how much money they make. What?

That sounds like a big ol' disappointment.

ypwbcjmb1l0f.gif

http://www.theonion.com/article/new-audubon-report-finds-78-female-birds-sexually--52930
    Like this maybe?
    edit: how do I not have the gifv autoembed?
    edit2:yeah, that did it.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Go through the recruiter

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Tossrock wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    I can't even imagine what it's like to have a first date with a person, and have them talk about how much money they make. What?

That sounds like a big ol' disappointment.

ypwbcjmb1l0f.gif

http://www.theonion.com/article/new-audubon-report-finds-78-female-birds-sexually--52930
    Like this maybe?
    edit: how do I not have the gifv autoembed?
    edit2:yeah, that did it.

https://gifsound.com/?gifv=ljZwRhh&v=8-WFNbMohTQ&s=5

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    paperwork signed. get to mail all that off tomorrow.

woo!

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6ODMDtG6-I

I got a promotion to the job I've been doing for a year and a half! And even better, I got a 25% increase in salary!

Life is currently awesome!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I got a bonus of seven hundo today

to which I credit the fact that due to the magic of spreadsheets I am able to make two hours of furious activity each day look like eight hours of continuous work

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Well didn't get the one position that I applied for within my company. Upside the person interviewed with had high praise for me and this is the guy that runs that part of the company, so if I beef up my credentials in the programming area, I'll probably be a slam dunk for the next position that opens up in that part of the company.

On the other hand, while I work on getting some better programming skills. My company had another position elsewhere in the company up that would be a promotion and that I qualify for. So applied to that, here's hoping I get that one.

Granted, the holding company that owns my employer is in Britain, so I kind of have to worry about a potential Brexit, somehow making things go to hell.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Boss left for Berlin/Prague today, should be a nice time without her (i quite like her, don't get me wrong, but she left our department with plenty to do, but I can just kind of get it done at my own pace next week). I could spend half of tomorrow surfing the 'net while i feed 400+ envelopes into my desk printer 10 at a time, because our large printer doesn't do envelopes at all for some reason.

Though i feel bad for our executive director, who agreed to hand-sign the 437 letters that go with those envelopes. He has a jpeg of his signature, we use it for the big (2-3,000) bulk mailings, but he opted to do this manually.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Some people at work need to read their email before they reply to it.

"Hey so MMDU says we need more information before they can add the items to BIS. The details are on the email I'm forwarding you now."

"What sort of information do they need?"

"..."

Meanwhile Chucklefuck, a different person from the exchange above, continues to get pissed off at me for enforcing institution policy on inmates. Only now he's escalated to harassing me in minor ways, like switching cart keys so I have a half-dead golf cart that barely makes it back from the admin building and parking his massive truck juuuuust to the side of the pickup I'm driving on my mail route as I'm pulling away so I can't pull out and have to back into oncoming traffic to get the room to leave. So I notified the supervisor about this and he can get fucked if he ever tries to ask me a favor.

• Options
    Resume and cover letter in a single document, that's an interesting request. It also requires that I bloody pay attention to what I'm doing.

• Options
    This happened at Nuka's workplace, about six blocks north of my store.

http://komonews.com/news/local/man-tries-to-scan-his-junk-on-capitol-hill-gets-arrested

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    ... The fuck?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    ... The fuck?

Well, how else are you going to send dick pics if you don't have a camera?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    ... The fuck?

In my day, we faxed them.

• Options
    We don't get the down on their luck, just need a chance homeless. We get the hardcore heroin/crack/meth addicts, and seasonal bands of thieves who come in from Eastern WA and North OR. One block away from my store, new apartments are opening up for three grand a month, but outside our entrances we have people camping out and shooting up while yelling at customers to give them money. We're two blocks away from a Seattle PD precinct HQ.

I've already decided on trying to set up a meet or call with my city council rep because this shit is inexcusable.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    ... The fuck?

In my day, we faxed them.

Lookit Neo and his Matrix over here. Meanwhile, I'll be kicking it old school:

.... . -.-- / ..- / .-- .- -. -. .- / ... . . / -- -.-- / .--- ..- -. -.- ..--..

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Finally a good interview! Was wrapping up with the dude and just happened to ask if he could dismantle and repair that outboard over there.

That lead us to how he used to run the entire tool maintenance for the cabinet shop he worked for.

I hope he'll come back and talk with the GM. I'm tired of doing the hiring dance and this guy is the best so far.

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    We don't get the down on their luck, just need a chance homeless. We get the hardcore heroin/crack/meth addicts, and seasonal bands of thieves who come in from Eastern WA and North OR. One block away from my store, new apartments are opening up for three grand a month, but outside our entrances we have people camping out and shooting up while yelling at customers to give them money. We're two blocks away from a Seattle PD precinct HQ.

I've already decided on trying to set up a meet or call with my city council rep because this shit is inexcusable.

Seattle is steamrolling to cyberpunk dystopia faster than New York ever did. A conversation at work illuminated me to the fact that customer service businesses inevitably "adopt" certain members of the homless population.

• Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular

Shame you can't have Seattle fire come by a few times a day and blast those folks with firehoses.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    ICUb wrote: »

Shame you can't have Seattle fire come by a few times a day and blast those folks with firehoses.

I see what you're going for there and I don't advocate violence against these people. I'm always the lone person disagreeing with one of our corporate loss prevention agents who wants to just "shoot them all".

It doesn't make you a horrible person for wanting to have a workplace where the workers and customers can be safe and not be harassed by large groups of addicts and thieves. You probably think I'm exaggerating. I am not.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Hey, so some updates as I near the end of my first week of our summer camp!

My staff team, from what I have heard from my supervisor, really like me! Yay!!!

They also hate our assistant director.

Also the kids hate her and are actively terrified of her.

And I'm having issues with her because she has established no autonomy herself as an assistant director, she yells at campers as well as counselors in front of their campers, refuses to do any active physical task, throws attitude towards my supervisor & me, and she takes any form of criticism as a personal attack upon herself.

Oh yeah, apparently she didn't so non-subtly tell my boss that she thinks she deserves more money for working this position. And she doesn't really need this job. And my staff team desperately want to bring up that she needs to shift her tone/attitude at camp come our staff meeting on Monday.

So if that happens I imagine we could lose our assistant director in the second week of camp.

AUAUAUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So... I have started exclusively drinking high-gravity malt liquor when I get home from 10-11 hour work days because if I don't I am going to EXPLODE.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I dunno how your system works, but it sounds like you'd be better off with no assistant director at all than someone as toxic as her.

This discussion has been closed.