As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    My computer is set to turn off the display after 10 minutes and never go to sleep. At the end of the time, the display turns off but only for a second then it turns back on. This started somewhat recently. I cannot sort out what is causing this.
    1. Nothing shows up when running powercfg /requests in command prompt
    2. It does not happen in safe mode
    3. I do not see any unusual programs running
    4. I have tried unplugging USB devices (keyboard, mouse, audio interface, gamepad) to no avail

Does anyone have any ideas? Or troubleshooting tips?

Check your services, try turning off everything that isn't a Microsoft/Windows Service and test it. My guess is a third party service could be doing it. If that isn't it, I'd look through task scheduler to see if something triggers every 10 minutes or less.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    My computer is set to turn off the display after 10 minutes and never go to sleep. At the end of the time, the display turns off but only for a second then it turns back on. This started somewhat recently. I cannot sort out what is causing this.
    4. I have tried unplugging USB devices (keyboard, mouse, audio interface, gamepad) to no avail

Does powercfg -lastwake give you any info?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Razer's apps used to do this to my system a bunch.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

Does powercfg -lastwake give you any info?

Nothing that is obviously useful.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /lastwake
    Wake History Count - 1
    Wake History [0]
      Wake Source Count - 0

• Options
    übergeek wrote: »

Check your services, try turning off everything that isn't a Microsoft/Windows Service and test it. My guess is a third party service could be doing it. If that isn't it, I'd look through task scheduler to see if something triggers every 10 minutes or less.

I think the answer is going to be a long these lines. I just noticed it doesn't happen after a reboot when sitting on the login screen.

More investigation tomorrow.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Something dumb like your mouse/trackpad/keyboard receiving input? Probably not if not occurring in Safe Mode.

Something - Cortana - picking up mic input?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Open up event viewer and see if something is triggering in there.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

You got Battle Net running in the background?

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yeah, absolutely a background running process keeping it awake.

For me, if I have steam up and open on the store front page, my PC monitor will never shut off. minimize steam, and 10 minutes later and my screen is off.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    The odd thing is that it does turn off the display so there is inactivity for the duration, but as soon as it happens it turns the display back on.

No battlenet. I closed down all active applications (steam, discord, etc).

• Options
    Has it always been doing this, or is this new?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    You might have Link State Power Management turned on in the power options

uwu5p6q39haq.png

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    Has it always been doing this, or is this new?

New in the last 1-2 weeks. I don't recall making any changes or new installations. No new peripherals.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    have the latest windows 11 updates restored the never combine taskbar buttons feature that they mentioned working on a few months ago? still holding off until that's done but can't find a clear answer about the last couple updates

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    and obviously just after posting one of the friends I've ranted about this to lets me know the feature is being included in the 23H2 update coming on the 26th.

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Crosspost from regular G&T xbox thread:
    I got a new, bigger, faster NVME drive for OS, so I installed Win11 fresh.
    It installed REALLY fast and everything works really well, including all the game launchers... except fucking Xbox games App.
    Some games install fine, but most games that were installed before the new Windows (or not long before) give me an error, 0x80070002
    I searched it and, of course, there are a billion fixes that didn't work. So yeah, pretty frustrating.

Not surprising that Microsoft's launcher/service is the least functional.

It depends how heavily locked down the particular game is. I think your previous game installs are tied to the old Windows installation or user. When Gamepass first came out, even the game saves were encrypted and locked to the particular user, OS and ms-account and could only be MS-cloud synced by default. At least this seems somewhat less restricted nowadays.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    That's just the UWP app format Microsoft has been pushing since Windows 8. It's pretty locked down partially for DRM, partially to make it harder for malware to piggyback on. Developers of many popular Windows applications have repeatedly demonstrated disinterest in baking basic security precautions into their applications (looking as you, Electron apps), so MS tried to force best practices on everyone. It's a pretty irritating oversight that they never added an easy way to either remove or recover orphaned applications, but it's not exactly broken. Rebooting in safe mode and grabbing all the permissions generally lets you get rid of them.

UWP is terrible for modding, so the Xbox app defaults to installing games in normal folders now.

• Options
    Frem wrote: »
    That's just the UWP app format Microsoft has been pushing since Windows 8. It's pretty locked down partially for DRM, partially to make it harder for malware to piggyback on. Developers of many popular Windows applications have repeatedly demonstrated disinterest in baking basic security precautions into their applications (looking as you, Electron apps), so MS tried to force best practices on everyone. It's a pretty irritating oversight that they never added an easy way to either remove or recover orphaned applications, but it's not exactly broken. Rebooting in safe mode and grabbing all the permissions generally lets you get rid of them.

UWP is terrible for modding, so the Xbox app defaults to installing games in normal folders now.

UWP is a trashfire IMO. A big problem is that the app management system for desktop windows does a bad job of keeping track of data added by an app that wasn't explicitly added as part of the install process. One of the reasons games aren't usually installed as UWP apps is because patch data was constantly getting orphaned and not removed with app uninstalls, leaving gigs of data around that regular end users were never able to clean up.

Additionally, UWP was originally designed for windows phone and it shows. It didn't support storing apps anywhere other than the C drive initially, and when they did add support for other drives it was half baked and error prone.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    god UWP, trying to both install and remove Phantasy Star Online 2 was such a trash fire because of the half-assed UWP implementation they did for it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    god UWP, trying to both install and remove Phantasy Star Online 2 was such a trash fire because of the half-assed UWP implementation they did for it

Yeah, it was so terrible that I can only imagine some business deal got signed without consulting any tech folks. You would have expected some engineer to opine that trying to hack a launcher/updater onto an application packaged in a semi-immutable format and storing gigabytes of update data in what was effectively a temp directory was a bad idea...

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Any suggestions around Windows 11 memory usage? Looking online, seems it wants 4-5GB's of memory. But on both my wife's laptop and my desktop here, it seems to want 7-8GB's. I'm fine, since I have 32GB's, but with a game and browsers running she was getting rather low with her 16GB's. Are there some settings I can look at to lower memory usage?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Were there performance problems? Or did you only notice the memory usage?

• Options
    RAM is meant to be used, unused ram is wasted ram. A modern OS will allocate memory based on usage, and then free it if it needs it.

i.e. if you often run application x, the OS will actually load application x into memory before you launch it, so it'll launch faster. But if you launch something else and the system needs the memory, it'll release it.

Basically, as long as you have at least 8GB of ram in your system, don't worry about memory usage/management. OS's do a much better job of it than humans do.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    More specifically, memory usage % is simply not a performance indicator on its own. The performance counters to look for for memory utilization issues are high and long lasting Pages/sec or Page Faults/sec along with high and long lasting Disk Queue Length indicating excessive memory being read/written to disk. In other words, if your machine isn't grinding to a halt because of excessive RAM swapping to disk, then you don't actually have memory utilization issues.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    is the function to restore the full right click menu as a default back in w11?

• Options
    Gotcha. Didn't notice any issues, just how much RAM was being used.

Next question, what do folks use to backup your OS? Do you back up your OS anymore? I noticed the innate Windows backup is from Windows 7? Sadly I just backed up over a TB of data before Windows told me the drive needs to be NTFS to back up to, and it's exFAT by default.

• Options
    Everyone's situation is different, but I don't do a system level backup of my computers anymore. My important stuff like documents and pictures are all in either Google Docs/Drive/Photos and/or OneDrive. Nothing else on my PC is important enough that if it blew up tomorrow I'd miss it. If I had 6TB of photos like my dad does, I'd think differently, but I really don't. Unless you're a special case, just throw everything vital into cloud storage and you're good.

If you are that special case, I recommend (and have my dad use) a cloud backup service like Backblaze. I've also used Carbonite in the past, but prefer backblaze. The afore mentioned 6TB of photos on my dad's computer are backed up there for something like $80/year.

Lastly, I'll just say that re-installing Windows on a modern SSD takes like 8 minutes, and updating it takes another half an hour or so. I haven't even thought about wanting to restore a system image in years, because just installing everything is so quick now.

• Options
    That's what I was thinking. You don't even really have to backup save files anymore due to cloud saves.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    I love Backblaze. Done two system restores through them. Just be aware that a full restore looks a little different on macOS; their app backs everything up but their docs don’t cover how to do a macOS restore properly. Windows restores are business as usual.

Also, turn on encryption if you care about that sort of thing; it’s off by default.

Frem on
  • Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    is the function to restore the full right click menu as a default back in w11?

oh is this gonna be a thing? I hope this is gonna be a thing

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    News to me. I haven't heard anything about bringing back the menu

• Options
    Which right click menu?

• Options
    edited October 2023
    the right click context menu in explorer where they give you the safety-padded simple menu now and you have to click "show more options" at the bottom to see the full right click menu of yesteryear, including any contextual menu additions added by applications.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    the right click context menu in explorer where they give you the safety-padded simple menu now and you have to click "show more options" at the bottom to see the full right click menu of yesteryear, including any contextual menu additions added by applications.

Oh yeah I agree

The fact they can't manage to unfuck their settings and still rely on the control panel but took their time to make that menu worse feels real bad

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    The control panel mainly exists now to accomodate legacy applications that need/use plugins that require the control panel. 99% of the rest of the functionality is now redundant and the average user never needs to see the control panel anymore.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    The control panel mainly exists now to accomodate legacy applications that need/use plugins that require the control panel. 99% of the rest of the functionality is now redundant and the average user never needs to see the control panel anymore.

Amazing that Outlook still uses the profiles in the Mail part of control panel.

• Options

Oh yeah I agree

The fact they can't manage to unfuck their settings and still rely on the control panel but took their time to make that menu worse feels real bad

Applications on my system have added like thirty items to that menu; the old one is a trashfire for me. I like the new one an lot except for the part where about a third of the time it doesn’t have the thing I want to do.

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    I reflexively open the bigger menu every time now without even looking for what I want in the short menu.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Eh, a lot of the control panel controls are still better. The speaker configuration, for example. Legacy control panel lets you test speakers one at a time. New oe tests them all in sequence.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Eh, a lot of the control panel controls are still better. The speaker configuration, for example. Legacy control panel lets you test speakers one at a time. New oe tests them all in sequence.

Yeah but a lot of them just don't exist in 11 anymore. If you type in "control printers" in a run window you just get the printer settings window.