As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    The well-known, but currently without solution scroll-wheel bug in Chrome is pushing me a step away from switching to Vivaldi. But I only use Edge on my Surface Pro 3 (and that mostly has to do with Chrome's touchscreen support being weirdly terrible).

For this first year, anyway, Windows 10 S is supposed to be a free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, though after that I can see bristling at the $50 fee, which feels a lot more like something Apple would do with their software.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Wouldn't get one's hopes up for the Surface Pro 5 coming out this year, or being revealed at Build. Panos Panay on Surface Pro 5:
    “When it's meaningful and the change is right, we'll put it on market. Meaningful change isn't necessarily a hardware change, which is what a lot of people look for. They're like, ‘Where's the latest processor?’ That's not what I mean. I'm looking for an experiential change that makes a huge difference in product line,” Panay explained.

“You'll see that same meaningful impact when Pro 5, or Pro Next hits the market. There's no such thing as a Pro 5.”

http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-s-panos-panay-says-there-s-no-such-thing-as-a-surface-pro-5-515479.shtml
    https://www.onmsft.com/news/panos-panay-theres-no-such-thing-as-a-surface-pro-5

edit: looks like it all traces back to this CNET interview

https://www.cnet.com/news/who-exactly-is-microsofts-new-999-surface-laptop-for/

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    The well-known, but currently without solution scroll-wheel bug in Chrome is pushing me a step away from switching to Vivaldi. But I only use Edge on my Surface Pro 3 (and that mostly has to do with Chrome's touchscreen support being weirdly terrible).

For this first year, anyway, Windows 10 S is supposed to be a free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, though after that I can see bristling at the $50 fee, which feels a lot more like something Apple would do with their software.

Nah; Apple hasn't charged for an OS upgrade since like 2012, and I dunno that they've ever had time limited upgrade discounts? This is just continuing with Microsoft's pricing strategy; similar to what they implied they were doing with upgrades to Windows 10 (even though they never actually started charging for them), or what they did with Windows 8, where the upgrade was dirt cheap for several months before going up to full price.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Well, Apple does charge for OS updates, you just pay for it up front and they don't call it that. :P

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Well, Apple does charge for OS updates, you just pay for it up front and they don't call it that. :P

Come on. I know this is the windows thread but lets not be silly.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Frem wrote: »

Nah; Apple hasn't charged for an OS upgrade since like 2012, and I dunno that they've ever had time limited upgrade discounts? This is just continuing with Microsoft's pricing strategy; similar to what they implied they were doing with upgrades to Windows 10 (even though they never actually started charging for them), or what they did with Windows 8, where the upgrade was dirt cheap for several months before going up to full price.

Actually I meant for consumer software (that was historically free on Windows)--but this was years ago (and as you said, an OS would be more relevant).

• Options
    The more I stew on Windows 10 S the more I am convinced that eventually that'll replace the home sku. I'm not saying this year, or even next, but in 3-4 years I'll bet we'll see them re-arrange the windows SKU's to look like this:

Windows
    Windows Pro
    Windows Enterprise

Windows will be what Windows 10 S is today; can only run apps from the store. For most users that'll be good enough, especially when/if more developers package their Win32 apps for the Windows Store. If that ever does happen that'll cement this.

Windows Pro will be the consumer sku that can run Win32 apps outside of the store. Not everyone will need it, but will be a $50 upgrade for those running the standard sku that do.

Windows Enterprise will be the enterprise SKU as it exists now, normal users won't be able to get it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Is this the right place to ask about setting up a Windows 7 and 10 dual boot (separate drives)? I primarily want 7 as a means of playing games that aren't supported/are poorly supported by Windows 10. I already attempted the dual boot, and fucked everything up. Both OSes started reading hard disks as corrupted, to the point where neither would boot once I tried to boot the other. I got them nuked from orbit and am currently running Windows 7 off my SSD, (chkdsk oh-so-helpfully changed permissions on my TB drive, which is where a lot of my games and documents reside, but I've got that worked out). So, how do I proceed from here? Are there any particular steps to installing 10 that I should follow for a proper dual-boot, and then what do I need to do to keep them from shitting the bed once 10 is installed?
    I had figured this would be a fairly straightforward process, but now I've been basically without a pc for two days. I've been on full-time daddy duty for the last week so work on my PC is done largely while the kiddo is napping/asleep and when/if I'm not too exhausted to think clearly.

I usually install Windows 7 and Windows 10 on their own, seperate drives while every other HD is disconnected. I had the issue that the bootloader would end on the wrong drive and often this would mess up the installation. To switch beetween the different OSes I use my mainboard's quick boot menu.
    wunderbar wrote: »
    updated the OP with brief words about Windows 10 S, as well as Windows 10 version support.

After chewing on it for a few days, I really like the idea of Windows 10 S. It isn't for me, it isn't for most people reading this forum, but for a coffee table laptop, something where 95% of what someone does with it is in a web browser, which lets face it is most of computing nowadays, it's probably fine.

I want to get a device with it to test, just to see if I could live without Win32 apps on a secondary PC. The lack of Chrome really hurts, but I could probably get by.

Windows 10 S really is the future of the mainstream computer for the general public (again, not the people reading this forum). It'll be interesting to see how this goes.

Win32 compatibility is the reason I still use Windows. I don't get it - What is the advantage of using Windows if you strip out Desktop applications? - its just a Chrome OS clone then. [Tinfoilhat] Maybe this is another try to boot competitors of Microsofts platform [/Tinfoilhat].

edit: The only thing which comes to mind is brand recognition and familiarity.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    Is this the right place to ask about setting up a Windows 7 and 10 dual boot (separate drives)? I primarily want 7 as a means of playing games that aren't supported/are poorly supported by Windows 10. I already attempted the dual boot, and fucked everything up. Both OSes started reading hard disks as corrupted, to the point where neither would boot once I tried to boot the other. I got them nuked from orbit and am currently running Windows 7 off my SSD, (chkdsk oh-so-helpfully changed permissions on my TB drive, which is where a lot of my games and documents reside, but I've got that worked out). So, how do I proceed from here? Are there any particular steps to installing 10 that I should follow for a proper dual-boot, and then what do I need to do to keep them from shitting the bed once 10 is installed?
    I had figured this would be a fairly straightforward process, but now I've been basically without a pc for two days. I've been on full-time daddy duty for the last week so work on my PC is done largely while the kiddo is napping/asleep and when/if I'm not too exhausted to think clearly.

I usually install Windows 7 and Windows 10 on their own, seperate drives while every other HD is disconnected. I had the issue that the bootloader would end on the wrong drive and often this would mess up the installation. To switch beetween the different OSes I use my mainboard's quick boot menu.
    updated the OP with brief words about Windows 10 S, as well as Windows 10 version support.

After chewing on it for a few days, I really like the idea of Windows 10 S. It isn't for me, it isn't for most people reading this forum, but for a coffee table laptop, something where 95% of what someone does with it is in a web browser, which lets face it is most of computing nowadays, it's probably fine.

I want to get a device with it to test, just to see if I could live without Win32 apps on a secondary PC. The lack of Chrome really hurts, but I could probably get by.

Windows 10 S really is the future of the mainstream computer for the general public (again, not the people reading this forum). It'll be interesting to see how this goes.

Win32 compatibility is the reason I still use Windows. I don't get it - What is the advantage of using Windows if you strip out Desktop applications? - its just a Chrome OS clone then. [Tinfoilhat] Maybe this is another try to boot competitors of Microsofts platform [/Tinfoilhat].

Security for grandma/computer dolts. Everything in the walled garden so they can't install spyware, viruses, etc.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Dratatoo wrote: »

Security for grandma/computer dolts. Everything in the walled garden so they can't install spyware, viruses, etc.

yea, getting rid of the wild west side of Win32 is literally the reason they're doing it. Only allowing apps distributed through the store means the odds of getting malware are basically zero, and ever app is fully containerized so if you remove it it doesn't leave anything behind. The technology behind it works super well.

Honestly, I love the idea of Windows S. And remember, Microsoft isn't taking away the Windows SKU that can run any Win32/non store app. They're making one sku of windows that will protect people from it.

If, and again, a big if, If the big applications can get into the store, it won't be a huge issue. And remember, the store just isn't for the mostly shitty UWP apps. [Random Developer X] can take their exisitng Win32 app and package it in the store now. Heck that's the route spotify is taking. They're not bothering to re-write their windows app from the ground up, they're just taking what exists today and putting it in the store.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I think we also need to understand that we do not represent the target audience here. Gamers and power users are going to pay the 50 dollar pound of flesh and go with the full blown experience. The other billion people in the world that use Windows in some capacity will not care. They already live in a world of iOS and Android where this is just how it's done. Does it have Office and Outlook? Can I browser the internet? Great.

At the end of the day consumer computing technology is converging on the lowest common denominator of user and then offering value-add to the power user. This was always going to happen. There are always going to be more people who are completely tech-uneducated and will never become a competent, confident, user of a full blown desktop experience.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure Microsoft literally has the best (and many would argue, going into the area of "insane") legacy software support of any commercial publisher in the world. What a crazy person install version on top of version of their operating systems, from DOS to Windows 10, on top of itself if you want a visual representation of that.

In that area, they've gone above and beyond any sort of expectation--to the point where it's probably caused actual, real harm to the user experience in terms of usability and security.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure Microsoft literally has the best (and many would argue, going into the area of "insane") legacy software support of any commercial publisher in the world. What a crazy person install version on top of version of their operating systems, from DOS to Windows 10, on top of itself if you want a visual representation of that.

In that area, they've gone above and beyond any sort of expectation--to the point where it's probably caused actual, real harm to the user experience in terms of usability and security.

This is beyond true.

• Options

This is beyond true.

Of course! But since the real moneymaker is business environments, they have to kowtow to companies that want their old software to continue to work.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I just don't really see the benefit. Windows store is such a awful experience. If I wanted to put my grandma on a 'safe' system I'd put her on ios or android, because that's what she's used before and what the people around her are used to because of their phones. Nobody's used the barebones windows 10.

• Options
    edited May 2017

This is beyond true.

Of course! But since the real moneymaker is business environments, they have to kowtow to companies that want their old software to continue to work.

They know how to play the game. If they didn't, Mac OS X (in all of its incarnations) surpassing 8% marketshare worldwide would actually be a feasible goal. As oppose to something that will probably never happen (and 8% is generous--some stats suggest 5% is an impossibility).

That sort of ecosystem doesn't just fall into your lap, you go to war for it--and unlike Apple, Microsoft's quite new to actually selling its own computers.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    I just don't really see the benefit. Windows store is such a awful experience. If I wanted to put my grandma on a 'safe' system I'd put her on ios or android, because that's what she's used before and what the people around her are used to because of their phones. Nobody's used the barebones windows 10.

It's only an awful experience because until very recently there was basically nothing good in it. But if the apps you actually do need are there, it's no longer an awful experience.

And again, this kind of can't be stressed enough. The people posting in the Windows thread in the Penny Arcade forums are the outliers. Most people spend most of their time in a browser, but also need a decent keyboard to type on.

For 95% of what 95% of what most people actually do on computers, Windows 10 S is more than adequate. For the rest, there's still versions of Windows for them.

• Options
    It's more than adequate, but it's an unfamiliar experience. An unfamiliar experience when the familiar experience of android or ios are more available and generally better.

• Options
    It's more than adequate, but it's an unfamiliar experience. An unfamiliar experience when the familiar experience of android or ios are more available and generally better.

I don't think that Windows, android, or iOS are any more or less familiar to anyone at this point.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I know my father would be totally lost on not-Windows. So Windows 10 S would be fine for him, anything else a total disaster. Windows is a disaster sometimes...

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I'm really curious about how/if sideloading UWP apps will work on Windows 10 S. It's a thing in other versions of Windows 10, but it seems like it would negate some of the security benefits of only allowing Store apps to run on the system.

• Options
    Frem wrote: »
    I'm really curious about how/if sideloading UWP apps will work on Windows 10 S. It's a thing in other versions of Windows 10, but it seems like it would negate some of the security benefits of only allowing Store apps to run on the system.

You can't sideload UWP apps in 10 S. You need to have developer options on in order to do that, and Windows 10 S doesn't include said developer options.

• Options
    There's a ton of Build news that I need to summarize, will probably do so tonight, but here's a pretty big bombshell for those who doubt the viability of Windows 10 S:

iTunes is coming to the Windows 10 Store by the end of the year.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    i guess if anything it proves that it's possible to put the worst possible piece of software through their store certification process

• Options
    edited May 2017
    iTunes Windows is a plot by Apple to convince PC users that their PC is slow. 100% bloated garbage.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    iTunes isn't nearly that bad anymore. It's been passable for a couple of versions now. I get how the old versions of iTunes left a seriously sour taste in peoples mouths, but version 11 onward have been usable. Not great, mind you, but usable. Certainly as a pretty heavy Apple user on the mobile side I hate it orders of magnitude less than I used to.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    iTunes isn't nearly that bad anymore. It's been passable for a couple of versions now. I get how the old versions of iTunes left a seriously sour taste in peoples mouths, but version 11 onward have been usable. Not great, mind you, but usable. Certainly as a pretty heavy Apple user on the mobile side I hate it orders of magnitude less than I used to.

Not really selling me on it...

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Not really trying to...just saying it's definitely, without a doubt, not the worst piece of Windows software most people interact with today, even if it used to be.

If anything, in my experience, that's actually Microsoft Word 2016 right now, which is so crashy and buggy as to be an embarrassment.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    iTunes Windows is a plot by Apple to convince PC users that their PC is slow. 100% bloated garbage.

I'm sure it'll run just fine on all of those upcoming $189 budget laptops running Windows 10s.

• Options

I'm sure it'll run just fine on all of those upcoming $189 budget laptops running Windows 10s.

upcoming? We've had $200 budget devices running Windows since... Windows 7.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Not really trying to...just saying it's definitely, without a doubt, not the worst piece of Windows software most people interact with today, even if it used to be.

If anything, in my experience, that's actually Microsoft Word 2016 right now, which is so crashy and buggy as to be an embarrassment.

Having used Word 2016 literally every day--God, my life is boring--if it qualifies as an "embarrassment", iTunes should've caused Apple to literally kill themselves in shame by comparison.

Unless everyone stopped using it on Windows the second that was an option, which they probably should have.

Or I'm just lucky. In the last year and a half, Word 2016 has crashed less than then the last one-week period I used iTunes before realizing it was impossible not to imagine Apple wasn't doing it on purpose, despite just how illogically insane it would be for them to behave as such. Granted, especially since Word is, traditionally, competent at what it does unlike iTunes, people using it probably hasn't helped its record with security, I wouldn't call iTunes a fortress of cyber-security, considering a few years back it and Quicktime were the labeled the most vulnerable software in the US.
    i guess if anything it proves that it's possible to put the worst possible piece of software through their store certification process

Jesus Christ, we've gone through the looking glass, haven't we? We seriously have.

"See? Windows Store has 'matured' to the point where we proudly include broken, inflexible, bug-ridden applications that directly refute the UWP ethos that we originally laid out as a justification for the storefront in the first place.

Oh, and it's published by Apple."

Eh, who knows. Maybe Apple will actually look at the not-terrible, good version of that software that exists in Mac OS X and put that on the Windows Store.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Yes, iTunes is pretty terrible, but The way I choose to see it is that if we want the Windows store to actually succeed, especially for Windows 10 S, the apps that the masses actually use need to be there. Like it or not iTunes is one of the most installed apps on Windows in the world. It needs/needed to be there for there to be legitimacy to the store/Windows 10 S.

The other big categoy is other browsers, and that could be tougher. It's now been noted that browsers in the Windows store cannot use their own rendering engine, they have to use the edge one (similar to what apple does on iOS), so the odds of Google/Opera/Firefox re-writing their desktop browser to use the edge rendering engine as Windows Store apps is pretty remote.

But I do still maintain that Edge is more than good enough for the target audience.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Can you buy music directly through iTunes? There are some nasty interactions with store policy there.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

upcoming? We've had $200 budget devices running Windows since... Windows 7.

I'm making a joke about the upcoming line of laptops that are going to ship with Windows 10s.

The current sub-$200 Windows laptop is usually a shithouse N series Celeron with 4GB of RAM and 16 gigs of storage that's slower than molasses going uphill in January with crutches. I imagine iTunes will run about as fast as a glacier on that hardware.

• Options
    I'm curious about what 10s looks like under the hood.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »
    Can you buy music directly through iTunes? There are some nasty interactions with store policy there.

That's pretty much the primary function of iTunes: a dedicated storefront for Apple's oldest marketplace.

The music categorization functions are "sometimes okay, sometimes mediocre" to "notoriously awful" depending on who you ask, but that's thanks to ID Tagging as well, I'm pretty sure.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

That's pretty much the primary function of iTunes: a dedicated storefront for Apple's oldest marketplace.

The music categorization functions are "sometimes okay, sometimes mediocre" to "notoriously awful" depending on who you ask, but that's thanks to ID Tagging as well, I'm pretty sure.

I'm wondering whether it violates Microsoft's stated policies on giving them 30% of all purchases. I could see iTunes being allowed an exception, because it's iTunes.

• Options
    I'm curious about what 10s looks like under the hood.

From what i'm reading, it's basically Windows 10 Pro with the ability to run non store EXE's turned off, and no way to access developer options, etc.. It apparently can even domain join.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Woke up to windows saying Hi, guess it was finally my turn on the update rollout. Anything in particular I should check at, or is it just a case of if something screwed up I'll find out when I try to use the something?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Woke up to windows saying Hi, guess it was finally my turn on the update rollout. Anything in particular I should check at, or is it just a case of if something screwed up I'll find out when I try to use the something?

It wanted to uninstall one of my Steam games for some reason, but beyond that was pretty painless.