As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]: the Awakening

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Why are the Scandinaviana awake? Has the sun already stopped setting for you?

the scandinavian forumers are all very bad at 'reasonable' bed times

also it's a public holiday tomorrow because of jesus and even if it wasn't I am currently quite unemployed

cinco de mayo is a jesus holiday in denmark?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    don't deny your viking heritage: you know you have a deep ancestral urge to disembark from dragon ships and form a shield wall and then have a saga writer assign you a pithy quote

for sure but I also have dreams about overthrowing the tsar and all other kings, gods etc and raising the red/black banner over a burning barricade

Unlikely here, tho

related: cartoon from 1919

13154_10152571691868925_6871942933528007019_n.png?oh=394f2ae460010bb86ce51a823dfd63f5&oe=579A3CBD
    - Nå, hvor langt har dere kommet med revolusjonen i Norge?
    - Foreløpig slåss vi om hvordan den skal staves!

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Why do I fight sleep so hard at night and then fight to stay asleep in the morning

Am I not a Rational being

Should I not learn my lesson taught many times over, and sleep when I need to sleep

She mused aloud, posting on her phone while fighting sleep

this is the story of my life

oh i'm so tired i hit the snooze bar for an hour and half this morning

oh it's 1:30am i can watch two more episodes of this show

Nothing interesting happens in the morning, everything interesting happens at night.

maybe more interesting things would happen in the morning if we weren't all sleep-deprived zombies

That's not a chance I'm willing to take.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Why do I fight sleep so hard at night and then fight to stay asleep in the morning

Should I not learn my lesson taught many times over, and sleep when I need to sleep

to answer mojo's question: because I am like this, and I have stuff to do in the morning, then just not sleeping is the safest way to ensure I can get up in the morning

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

also it's a public holiday tomorrow because of jesus and even if it wasn't I am currently quite unemployed

oh yeah himmelspretten is tomorrow

I failed to notice this because I am, if not unemployed, quite underemployed

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

this is the story of my life

oh i'm so tired i hit the snooze bar for an hour and half this morning

oh it's 1:30am i can watch two more episodes of this show

Nothing interesting happens in the morning, everything interesting happens at night.

maybe more interesting things would happen in the morning if we weren't all sleep-deprived zombies

That's not a chance I'm willing to take.

kind of one of those we all have to jump together things

and there's always someone who doesn't jump and ruins it

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    @Jacobkosh plz describe some of the "fucking lunacy that diehard oldskool fans post on websites"

i mean i can guess i just want to be sure

A lot of the complaints are generic edition warrior horseshit. Like, releasing a new edition (10 years after the original!) is a 'money-grubbing ca$h-in' (yes I have really witnessed the dollar sign thing done unironically) done to 'rape the wallets' (another fun phrase!) of hard-working gamers everywhere.

And, of course, this complaint never cuts both ways. The endless treadmill of supplements for the person's preferred edition? That stuff was special and important, every word a cherished treasure.

But that shit is just par for the course; gamers do that for everything from D&D to Nobilis. The more specific complaints I have seen are a) new Mage is too grimdark (you're not magic heroes fighting oppressive scientists, you can be petty and polltical like Vampire or whatever) b) new Mage is not grimdark enough (one guy kept derailing the Mage 2E thread for months with his furious insistence to the lead developer (who was posting in the thread) that there be more mechanical support for playing human-sacrificing soul-eating liches) and c) it's more conservative/not a real World of Darkness game because the default mode of play isn't (or isn't sufficiently) anti-authoritarian.

This is probably the most serious complaint so I will address it most seriously: the game is a toolkit, it is clearly and explicitly labeled as such, and there is no default mode of play. The NWoD games do not tell you how to play them nearly as hard as the old ones did and they continually remind you that every setting element - this or that faction, this bit of backstory, whatever - is entirely optional and up to the consensus of the group. That said, while you aren't shoehorned into an anti-authoritarian role and are free to play power-grabbing dickheads, the villains of the setting are the timeless godhead incarnations of the concepts of hierarchy, organized religion, acquisitiveness, patriarchy, war, and omniscient surveillance, so I don't really feel like the critique that the company has somehow sold out to The Man or whatever holds any water.

I mean, I feel this way based on the merits of the game in and of itself, but it's especially jarring coming from old Mage fans, a game where playing as the villainous Technocracy has long been an accepted mode of play, and where - while I hasten to add that it's not a fault of the oMage setting or designers - the idea of cultural magic makes it very easy for players to act out some unfortunate cultural stereotypes. "You can tell my character is a shaman because he has a bone in his nose." So I feel like politically-motivated complaints coming from that sector are kind of glass-housey. (Also I think the politics of White Wolf's 90s games, while very energetic and well-intentioned, are probably best left in the 1990s.)

jake what are your opinions(tm) on Nobilis and oChangeling which are two systems I own but have only read never played

• Options

jesus popped back up to heaven tomorrow

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

jesus popped back up to heaven tomorrow

interesting

i guess that explains the tacos

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am returned to my throne of power in DC.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    translate plz

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    don't deny your viking heritage: you know you have a deep ancestral urge to disembark from dragon ships and form a shield wall and then have a saga writer assign you a pithy quote

for sure but I also have dreams about overthrowing the tsar and all other kings, gods etc and raising the red/black banner over a burning barricade

Unlikely here, tho

13154_10152571691868925_6871942933528007019_n.png?oh=394f2ae460010bb86ce51a823dfd63f5&oe=579A3CBD

yes

is that about nynorsk/bokmål somehow, or just a hypothetical example of leftist petty bullshit factionalism?

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Jesus died so that we might all have tacos.

Except in the UK where tacos are a rare and sought after thing but at least you can usually get an okay burrito now if you're in a city

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options

Unlikely here, tho

- Now, how far have you come with the revolution in Norway?
    - Currently we're fighting about how it should be spelled!

(context: we have two different written languages for norwegian and it is as dumb now as it was in 1919)

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @Jacobkosh plz describe some of the "fucking lunacy that diehard oldskool fans post on websites"

A lot of the complaints are generic edition warrior horseshit. Like, releasing a new edition (10 years after the original!) is a 'money-grubbing ca$h-in' (yes I have really witnessed the dollar sign thing done unironically) done to 'rape the wallets' (another fun phrase!) of hard-working gamers everywhere.

And, of course, this complaint never cuts both ways. The endless treadmill of supplements for the person's preferred edition? That stuff was special and important, every word a cherished treasure.

But that shit is just par for the course; gamers do that for everything from D&D to Nobilis. The more specific complaints I have seen are a) new Mage is too grimdark (you're not magic heroes fighting oppressive scientists, you can be petty and polltical like Vampire or whatever) b) new Mage is not grimdark enough (one guy kept derailing the Mage 2E thread for months with his furious insistence to the lead developer (who was posting in the thread) that there be more mechanical support for playing human-sacrificing soul-eating liches) and c) it's more conservative/not a real World of Darkness game because the default mode of play isn't (or isn't sufficiently) anti-authoritarian.

This is probably the most serious complaint so I will address it most seriously: the game is a toolkit, it is clearly and explicitly labeled as such, and there is no default mode of play. The NWoD games do not tell you how to play them nearly as hard as the old ones did and they continually remind you that every setting element - this or that faction, this bit of backstory, whatever - is entirely optional and up to the consensus of the group. That said, while you aren't shoehorned into an anti-authoritarian role and are free to play power-grabbing dickheads, the villains of the setting are the timeless godhead incarnations of the concepts of hierarchy, organized religion, acquisitiveness, patriarchy, war, and omniscient surveillance, so I don't really feel like the critique that the company has somehow sold out to The Man or whatever holds any water.

I mean, I feel this way based on the merits of the game in and of itself, but it's especially jarring coming from old Mage fans, a game where playing as the villainous Technocracy has long been an accepted mode of play, and where - while I hasten to add that it's not a fault of the oMage setting or designers - the idea of cultural magic makes it very easy for players to act out some unfortunate cultural stereotypes. "You can tell my character is a shaman because he has a bone in his nose." So I feel like politically-motivated complaints coming from that sector are kind of glass-housey. (Also I think the politics of White Wolf's 90s games, while very energetic and well-intentioned, are probably best left in the 1990s.)

jake what are your opinions(tm) on Nobilis and oChangeling which are two systems I own but have only read never played

I tried reading Nobilis once and found the rulebook just impenetrable. Not, like, in a rules-are-hard-to-understand way but I literally had trouble reading the font on the page. So that is my mega-informed opinion on Nobilis.

oChangeling and oHunter are the oWoD games I know least about. I know quite a bit of Masquerade and have picked up a lot of Werewolf and Mage by osmosis but those things are big gaps in my knowledge.

• Options
    i like the poorly translated norwegian wikipedia page for it

"Ascension ( Latin : Ascensio Domini ) [1] is a Christian moveable festivity"

moveable festivity sounds neat

• Options

Unlikely here, tho

yes

is that about nynorsk/bokmål somehow, or just a hypothetical example of leftist petty bullshit factionalism?

nynorsk/bokmål. Or riksmål/landsmål as they were called in those times.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    perhaps kebabs are better than tacos

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Ronya, I am reading a fantasy economics novel. It is quite good but I would imagine you would hate it for being too basic and misrepresenting how such systems would really operate and be gamed

• Options

Kristi Himmelfart which I think is maybe called Ascension in english happens to fall on the 5th of may this year

In addition, this is the date in 1945 when German forces in Denmark capitulated to English troops aka liberation for most of Denmark. Except the island of Bornholm.

• Options
    ronya wrote: »
    perhaps kebabs are better than tacos

each has its place and i would not presume to declare one better than the other

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    @Eddy

Puppies is mechanical keyboard shaming...

• Options
    Ronya, I am reading a fantasy economics novel. It is quite good but I would imagine you would hate it for being too basic and misrepresenting how such systems would really operate and be gamed

what's it

I recall squirming through Pratchett's Making Money

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    i like the poorly translated norwegian wikipedia page for it

"Ascension ( Latin : Ascensio Domini ) [1] is a Christian moveable festivity"

moveable festivity sounds neat

translating the term into a latin-derived name, before the latin is named, a+ translation there

EDIT: The article fails to mention that most people use the irreverent "himmelspretten". Shame, because it is one of my favourite names for a holiday.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options

Kristi Himmelfart which I think is maybe called Ascension in english happens to fall on the 5th of may this year

In addition, this is the date in 1945 when German forces in Denmark capitulated to English troops aka liberation for most of Denmark. Except the island of Bornholm.

well if that doesn't call for margaritas and fake mustaches i dunno what

• Options
    is it the one with the interdimensional mafia

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    wait a minute, is having Mage chat on Ascension day intentional???

Jake you sneaky papist

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I've always wanted to play a Vampire or Hunter game but the majority of the house players disliked it because it was "too easy to cheese out a character".

And then they'd make min maxed wildmages in AD&D and the cheesed spiked chain fighter in 3.5

Havelock2.0 on
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    i am tempted by the current humble bundle but I basically only want Mini Metro

I guess a 50% discount is worth it though

• Options

what's it

The traitor baru cormorant

• Options

what's it

I've heard good ones about that but I only read the free extract

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

what's it

Possibly the dagger and coin series, it has a bit of Medieval banking stuff

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Abd I want a translation for that menstruation one night stand video

• Options

what's it

I've heard good ones about that but I only read the free extract

There has been more than one instance where I sort of wish they had included diagrams with the text

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    EDbK1i0.jpg

• Options
    Feeding the tiny human is complete.

Mojo returns to its slumber.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I've always wanted to play a Vampire or Hunter game but the majority of the house players disliked it because it was "too easy to cheese out a character".

And then they'd make min maxed wildmages in AD&D and the cheesed spiked chain fighter in 3.5

Minmaxers are the worst

• Options
    ok well if mojo's out i guess there's no reason for me to hang around

also it's bedtime

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    ok well if mojo's out i guess there's no reason for me to hang around

also it's bedtime

@Chanus u cut me deep

• Options

I tried reading Nobilis once and found the rulebook just impenetrable. Not, like, in a rules-are-hard-to-understand way but I literally had trouble reading the font on the page. So that is my mega-informed opinion on Nobilis.

oChangeling and oHunter are the oWoD games I know least about. I know quite a bit of Masquerade and have picked up a lot of Werewolf and Mage by osmosis but those things are big gaps in my knowledge.

my half-finished campaign of old Vampire in a Dark Ages setting is the most GMing I've ever managed. I was quite bad at it. I've read a bunch of rpg books though, and spent a lot of time in my teens dreaming about telling stories

Nobilis and Changeling I both loved the feel of the setting but there were a lot of important details where I'm not sure how it was 'supposed' to work. I think both the books I have are the first editions so that maybe explains why a lot of it seems not always fully translated from the author's private notes and personal mental logic

This discussion has been closed.