As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]: the Awakening

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    man does vikernes hate anarchists as well?

I guess he really did just buy the full fascism package from the 1930s

has he ever struck you as someone who would be fond of leftists

I mean no of course, I was just surprised if he had specifically talked about blowing up anarchists

there aren't that many of them!

seems like the main targets of the modern radical right is usually muslims (/'immigrants'/'terrorists') and 'cultural marxists'. Sometimes jews, for the specific kind of right wing Vikernes is down with.

Vikernes isn't the modern radical right

he's the 90s style: anti-christian, norse stuff, usually explicitly neo-nazi

the modern mainly xenophobia-based far right is the one that is focused on muslims

also the people they got into big fights cum riots with would be the blitzers, and their related cousins the various anti-fascist/anti-racist far left groups. That's all the far right and the far left really did, got into huge fights with each other at demonstrations. If the police managed to keep them apart, they both just fought the police.

well I meant as opposed to 1930s but I suppose making a distinction between neo-nazis and 'islam critics' is fair most of the time

apart from "islam critics" making attempts at appearing housebroken, the most interesting difference is "our christian values" versus "christianity was introduced at the tip of a sword burn the churches"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Although there was always far more Blitzer anarchist types and assosciates around than far right people. So they also got their riot on during NATO-related protests without the right wing present.

I think it was during an anti-NATO protest that the police sent in the dogs to clear blitzers out of a café, and when asked by a journalist later about why they used dogs, the master of police had the delightful response "because the horses didn't fit through the door"

fucking riot cops

I bet he jerks off to pictures of cossacks wielding sabres against protestors

...don't you?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    @Elki
    Downloading

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    don't deny your viking heritage: you know you have a deep ancestral urge to disembark from dragon ships and form a shield wall and then have a saga writer assign you a pithy quote

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    “Well they [Trump and Cruz] are not going to win. You still have the Rockefellers…people like…the Rothschilds…Those big families that dominate continents. No it’s not even France, we’re talking continents. These are families that rise in 1827, a family with five sons that expands. It’s above everything we’re talking [about] tonight…

So you have lobbyists, people that are candidates to the elections, and then you have people like Donald Trump, who has what? 10 billion Euros? He might have more but that’s what he declares, in legal documents in any case.

If I myself have goods and worked all my life for my family, for my friends, for my country where I pay my taxes..What he wants first, in my opinion, is to protect his interests. Whereas someone who works for free is someone dangerous. It’s true we have problems with globalism because of the globalists…To get out of globalism is to leave the world alone. It’s a different philosophy. [Other speakers interrupt] Hang on a second, I was asked if I knew politics.”

“Trump is a man who does business. He loves his country and loves the people (…) He is a person who is interested in everything…

“We must think about the people, a brain, a businessman (..) will rehabilitate the country financially, cut taxes for the poor.”

“He will make a system, set an economy in its country because it is a businessman. He will sit down with guys like Putin, he will take off his tie, he will drink a vodka with Russian and he will talk to Russian and after he will do his best!"

Jean-Claude Van Damme has opinions.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I wonder if there's a subreddit for dudes to post pictures of historical fascists covered with their semen

I mean, I assume there is, but I'd love to be wrong

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    don't deny your viking heritage: you know you have a deep ancestral urge to disembark from dragon ships and form a shield wall and then have a saga writer assign you a pithy quote

I have always wanted to be a shieldmaiden.

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    I wonder if there's a subreddit for dudes to post pictures of historical fascists covered with their semen

If there wasn't before there is now.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Arch wrote: »
    @Jacobkosh plz describe some of the "fucking lunacy that diehard oldskool fans post on websites"

i mean i can guess i just want to be sure

A lot of the complaints are generic edition warrior horseshit. Like, releasing a new edition (10 years after the original!) is a 'money-grubbing ca$h-in' (yes I have really witnessed the dollar sign thing done unironically) done to 'rape the wallets' (another fun phrase!) of hard-working gamers everywhere.

And, of course, this complaint never cuts both ways. The endless treadmill of supplements for the person's preferred edition? That stuff was special and important, every word a cherished treasure.

But that shit is just par for the course; gamers do that for everything from D&D to Nobilis. The more specific complaints I have seen are a) new Mage is too grimdark (you're not magic heroes fighting oppressive scientists, you can be petty and polltical like Vampire or whatever) b) new Mage is not grimdark enough (one guy kept derailing the Mage 2E thread for months with his furious insistence to the lead developer (who was posting in the thread) that there be more mechanical support for playing human-sacrificing soul-eating liches) and c) it's more conservative/not a real World of Darkness game because the default mode of play isn't (or isn't sufficiently) anti-authoritarian.

This is probably the most serious complaint so I will address it most seriously: the game is a toolkit, it is clearly and explicitly labeled as such, and there is no default mode of play. The NWoD games do not tell you how to play them nearly as hard as the old ones did and they continually remind you that every setting element - this or that faction, this bit of backstory, whatever - is entirely optional and up to the consensus of the group. That said, while you aren't shoehorned into an anti-authoritarian role and are free to play power-grabbing dickheads, the villains of the setting are the timeless godhead incarnations of the concepts of hierarchy, organized religion, acquisitiveness, patriarchy, war, and omniscient surveillance, so I don't really feel like the critique that the company has somehow sold out to The Man or whatever holds any water.

I mean, I feel this way based on the merits of the game in and of itself, but it's especially jarring coming from old Mage fans, a game where playing as the villainous Technocracy has long been an accepted mode of play, and where - while I hasten to add that it's not a fault of the oMage setting or designers - the idea of cultural magic makes it very easy for players to act out some unfortunate cultural stereotypes. "You can tell my character is a shaman because he has a bone in his nose." So I feel like politically-motivated complaints coming from that sector are kind of glass-housey. (Also I think the politics of White Wolf's 90s games, while very energetic and well-intentioned, are probably best left in the 1990s.)

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »

I feel like such a subreddit would be a constant, raging civil war between those who hate-ejaculate and those who jerk it out of admiration

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @Arch ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Bathroom progress.

Electrical moved, light box braced correctly, opening framed.
    lekOS46.jpg

The dark lines you see in the white are the edges of the pieces of drywall. That's a joint that missed by about 95%, that they then excessively mudded over to fill the hole. Like if you got in a car wreck and just smeared bondo over everything then painted.
    DlKtc5D.jpg

Drywall pieced together.
    cjZVrih.jpg

And first mud layer. Tomorrow, I sand...
    1NJiMzF.jpg

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    finally

the ingrown hair on my stomach burst open

no doctor visit for ol' bowen

did you record it an put it on youtube?

It happened when I was squeezing out a turd, so nope.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    “Well they [Trump and Cruz] are not going to win. You still have the Rockefellers…people like…the Rothschilds…Those big families that dominate continents. No it’s not even France, we’re talking continents. These are families that rise in 1827, a family with five sons that expands. It’s above everything we’re talking [about] tonight…

So you have lobbyists, people that are candidates to the elections, and then you have people like Donald Trump, who has what? 10 billion Euros? He might have more but that’s what he declares, in legal documents in any case.

If I myself have goods and worked all my life for my family, for my friends, for my country where I pay my taxes..What he wants first, in my opinion, is to protect his interests. Whereas someone who works for free is someone dangerous. It’s true we have problems with globalism because of the globalists…To get out of globalism is to leave the world alone. It’s a different philosophy. [Other speakers interrupt] Hang on a second, I was asked if I knew politics.”

“Trump is a man who does business. He loves his country and loves the people (…) He is a person who is interested in everything…

“We must think about the people, a brain, a businessman (..) will rehabilitate the country financially, cut taxes for the poor.”

“He will make a system, set an economy in its country because it is a businessman. He will sit down with guys like Putin, he will take off his tie, he will drink a vodka with Russian and he will talk to Russian and after he will do his best!"

...I can't parse that.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »
    OLD REPUBLIC PEOPLE WHAT IS YOUR SERVER AND FACTION OF CHOICE AND DO YOU WANT TO PLAY WITH MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE3EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE3

@Neco Shadowlands

• Options
    Nice work matt.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    The Ender wrote: »

...I can't parse that.

He thinks Trump is a good politician because he's a businessman, cuts taxes and will stand up to Russia. That's all I got.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    somebody find me the cheapest round trip flight to japan, in june, on a monday, leaving on a thursday a week later

thanks

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    @matt has a problem can you move that junction box? It should be accessible in case of repairs, not buried in a wall. If you could move it to the outlet that'd be swell.

• Options

...I can't parse that.

He thinks Trump is a good politician because he's a businessman, cuts taxes and will stand up to Russia. That's all I got.

I got "I am exactly as smart as you thought I might be"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular

Well of course.

Mainly the pithy quote.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Why are the Scandinaviana awake? Has the sun already stopped setting for you?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I just want to play Mage, preferably face-to-face with people.

Why is that so much to ask

• Options

...I can't parse that.

Are any of the 80's action stars not douchebags?

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    "matt has a problem" can you move that junction box? It should be accessible in case of repairs, not buried in a wall. If you could move it to the outlet that'd be swell.

Eh, it'd be more hassle than it's worth. Accessing it once the cabinet is in is just a matter of unscrewing the cabinet from the studs and pulling it out, it won't be permanently buried. I honestly have no idea what it's junctioning, either.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Alazull wrote: »

Well of course.

Mainly the pithy quote.

Einar Tambarskelve, one of the sharpest of bow-shooters, stood by the mast, and shot with his bow. Einar shot an arrow at Earl Eirik [...] Then said the earl to a man called Fin, [...] "Shoot that tall man by the mast." Fin shot; and the arrow hit the middle of Einar's bow just at the moment that Einar was drawing it, and the bow was split in two parts.

"What is that," cried King Olaf, "that broke with such a noise?"

"Norway, king, from your hands," cried Einar.

"No! not quite so much as that," says the king; "take my bow, and shoot," flinging the bow to him.

Einar took the bow, and drew it over the head of the arrow. "Too weak, too weak," said he, "is the king's bow"

Olav_Tryggvasons_saga_-_Einar_Tambarskjelve_-_C._Krohg.jpg

you see in 1000 AD, people dropped quotes laden with heavy meaning left and right in the middle of battles, instead of the expletive laden panicked and frustrated shouts that became vogue in later eras

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    matt good work but that's not the kind of bathroom progress post i signed up for

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Why do I fight sleep so hard at night and then fight to stay asleep in the morning

Am I not a Rational being

Should I not learn my lesson taught many times over, and sleep when I need to sleep

She mused aloud, posting on her phone while fighting sleep

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

we have lost control of our lives

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular

for sure but I also have dreams about overthrowing the tsar and all other kings, gods etc and raising the red/black banner over a burning barricade

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    matt good work but that's not the kind of bathroom progress post i signed up for

Wait a minute I thought I closed those signups I mean....

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

...I can't parse that.

is dolph a douchebag?

i feel like if any of them aren't it's him

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I have never played a oWoD or nWoD tabletop game before.

This will not do

Havelock2.0 on
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options

...I can't parse that.

is dolph a douchebag?

i feel like if any of them aren't it's him

He's the only one I haven't heard bad things about.

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Why do I fight sleep so hard at night and then fight to stay asleep in the morning

Should I not learn my lesson taught many times over, and sleep when I need to sleep

this is the story of my life

oh i'm so tired i hit the snooze bar for an hour and half this morning

oh it's 1:30am i can watch two more episodes of this show

• Options

Nothing interesting happens in the morning, everything interesting happens at night.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Okay I am GOING TO SLEEP

LOCKING DIS PHONE

GONNA DO IT

REALLY DOING IT

...!

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

Nothing interesting happens in the morning, everything interesting happens at night.

maybe more interesting things would happen in the morning if we weren't all sleep-deprived zombies

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

the scandinavian forumers are all very bad at 'reasonable' bed times

also it's a public holiday tomorrow because of jesus and even if it wasn't I am currently quite unemployed

This discussion has been closed.