As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]: the Awakening

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2016
    porp wrote: »
    Try and not be blinded by the bioluminescent man beside me.

2 late

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    speaking of edgy RPGs Varg Vikernes has released his shitty generic fantasy RPG and setting that is very thinly veiled Nazi propaganda (with Muslim and Jewish fantasy stand-in cultures that worship awful evil gods. . .)

releasing an RPG is the least black metal thing I can think of doing

in scandinavia at least the overlap between metal fans and rpg fans is pretty big

Indeed, it just ins't in keeping with the whatever the BM equivalent of kayfabe is

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    His hair is so shiny....

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    speaking of edgy RPGs Varg Vikernes has released his shitty generic fantasy RPG and setting that is very thinly veiled Nazi propaganda (with Muslim and Jewish fantasy stand-in cultures that worship awful evil gods. . .)

in scandinavia at least the overlap between metal fans and rpg fans is pretty big

Indeed, it just ins't in keeping with the whatever the BM equivalent of kayfabe is

heh heh "BM equivalent"

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    winky wrote:
    It's entirely possible that leading a charmed life free of hardship is exactly the thing that would deprive you of the ability to empathize with the struggles of others. The point is not that something unjust happened to them to make them the way they are, the point is that something at all makes them the way they are, and our concern is with what that is and how we address it. You are molded by something, be it genes or experience or random chance, and unless you posit some sort of supernatural element to the concept of choice then you have to acknowledge that every decision a person makes is because of factors that ultimately originated from a source external to them.

No argument from me on this front; I just don't find it very useful to point out.

'[X] aggravates violence & crime, and we so we should address [X] as best we are able,' is something I agree with & something I think has been demonstrated repeatedly in egalitarian judicial systems (so long as [X] encompasses actual causes of crime, anyway).

'[X] is the cause of aggressive / anti-social / unwanted behavior, so we should solely focus on [X] until everyone stops being bad' is a utopian outlook that I feel doesn't square with reality, not because of some supernatural agent but because some of what we define as anti-social behavior cannot be corrected against without leveraging another tool from the anti-social behavior bucket and we cannot realistically (IMHO) operate a large society while attempting to exclude every little bit of aggravating factors (at least, certainly not a society I think most of us would want to live in).

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    good job, everyone

gg

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    basically the easiest answer is for you to fall down an otome hole yourself
    i cannot help you fake it you must embrace it

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    @Jacobkosh you should chat with @nexuscrawler about this sometime.

He's old guard Mage.

world of darkness edition wars are the stupidest shit

i got into this stuff late so I'm not really invested in how it ought to be the way some are

I think Old Mage gets the edge in terms of like, really clear visual iconography? "this guy is a voodoo, this guy is a catholic priest, this lady is wiccan, and they're all on the run from the men in black" is a very visual, attention-getting way to describe a game and it sounds like fun

but I see some of the fucking lunacy that diehard oldskool fans post on websites and I am fine not playing with those dudes
    I think old mage's connection to at least the outer trappings of actual existing magical traditions was pretty cool and I find the atlantis stuff maybe a bit goofy

but gnosticism is great and that long play report I don't remember the name of with a PC named Kali made me really want to try Awakening

people really love to harp on atlantis and a) i don't have a problem with it, perhaps because I wasn't conditioned to have a problem with it but also b) it is 100% in line with all the reading i've done about the theosophical society, Mu enthusiasts, and a certain very specific history of real-life occult thought that maybe a lot of gamers have not been exposed to

Don't get me wrong I haven't actually played either game and am in no way a committed edition warrior, as a Dane I will try to claim neutrality and sell pork and dairy products to both sides.

also, as someone who's read a bunch about weird religious stuff and whose siblings and some friends went to Steiner schools and kindergartens (anthroposophy) I have been exposed to at least some of that stuff and also irl found it silly in a way I do not with eg shamanism or voodoo. I don't pretend this is a fair or rational distinction.

But tbh I think the Atlantis bit in the game mostly sounded silly when I first heard of it without really having read much of or about the game myself. The actual play session you got me reading really made me like the way they've done the setting a lot more.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    ChpgbxkXAAEUgz9.jpg

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

Or non-Kayfabe in the case of Vikernes.

I AM GOING TO BLOW UP THE ANARCHISTS
    once I finish stat balancing my rpg system

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    WOw2u.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    @Jacobkosh plz describe some of the "fucking lunacy that diehard oldskool fans post on websites"

i mean i can guess i just want to be sure

• Options
    Also: a minecraft map 400 hours in the making

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    man does vikernes hate anarchists as well?

I guess he really did just buy the full fascism package from the 1930s

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular

He's old guard Mage.

i got into this stuff late so I'm not really invested in how it ought to be the way some are

I think Old Mage gets the edge in terms of like, really clear visual iconography? "this guy is a voodoo, this guy is a catholic priest, this lady is wiccan, and they're all on the run from the men in black" is a very visual, attention-getting way to describe a game and it sounds like fun

but I see some of the fucking lunacy that diehard oldskool fans post on websites and I am fine not playing with those dudes
    I think old mage's connection to at least the outer trappings of actual existing magical traditions was pretty cool and I find the atlantis stuff maybe a bit goofy

but gnosticism is great and that long play report I don't remember the name of with a PC named Kali made me really want to try Awakening

people really love to harp on atlantis and a) i don't have a problem with it, perhaps because I wasn't conditioned to have a problem with it but also b) it is 100% in line with all the reading i've done about the theosophical society, Mu enthusiasts, and a certain very specific history of real-life occult thought that maybe a lot of gamers have not been exposed to

I love it when people put down the Atlantis aspect of Mage: the Awakening.

Especially when it's like...one of the first things they write in the ST section is about how you can pretend all the Atlantis stuff is actually part of The Lie and could potentially be what's holding people back from the Supernal Realms.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I don't really think much of the WoD games (not that they are bad but because they fall outside my indie storygaming sensibilities) but when I heard that an established part of the WoD canon is that someone blew up the underworld with the ghost of the first nuclear bomb, I was all in

• Options

has he ever struck you as someone who would be fond of leftists

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

Honestly I really do need to.

I need more experience with writing female-oriented romance so I can start bringing in the lady-dollars.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular

He's old guard Mage.

I believe there 2-way are translation guides that let you use the old lore with the newer/ cleaner mechanics.

I can't even imagine the kind of iron grip an oMage GM would need to keep on their players to prevent them cracking the planet in half or something.

• Options
    So when do you think they're going to start making Minecraft 2?

• Options
    But tbh I think the Atlantis bit in the game mostly sounded silly when I first heard of it without really having read much of or about the game myself. The actual play session you got me reading really made me like the way they've done the setting a lot more.

Oh, I meant to link you to that again btw - it's called The Broken Diamond. (Anyone here who thought my OP sounded interesting or who just likes reading cool stories should click. this. link.)

And it got two sequels! The Soul Cage and The Man Comes Around (currently ongoing)

But here's the cool part: that dude? The GM of that game? He's now the Head Developer and writer of the new edition

@jakobagger

• Options
    Oh shit, Minecraft 2 should be VR...

• Options
    all i want is an RPG setting where i can make this lowres tumblr post real

toospookyforme.jpg

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Mein gott, die sauberung ist vorbei

Kruite on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Just got out of review for the final. Heh. I'm not going to bathe in self loathing (publicly) but I really don't understand my brain. Been trying for a while but my behaviors and outlooks are at times totally mystifying to me. Almost more bemused than upset.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Technocracy is best fyi hth

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

toospookyforme.jpg

Uh...

Welcome to Mage: the Awakening.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options

When he was arrested for killing Euronymous he was found with a large amount of explosives and ammunition, apparently planning to blow up Blitz House, an anti-fascist punk anarchist collective at some time in the future.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »

toospookyforme.jpg

Uh...

Welcome to Mage: the Awakening.

More like Unknown Armies.

• Options

Oh, I meant to link you to that again btw - it's called The Broken Diamond. (Anyone here who thought my OP sounded interesting or who just likes reading cool stories should click. this. link.)

And it got two sequels! The Soul Cage and The Man Comes Around (currently ongoing)

But here's the cool part: that dude? The GM of that game? He's now the Head Developer and writer of the new edition

@jakobagger

oh yeah I heard about that I think, him being hired

that's awesome

loved the broken diamond enough to endure reading much of it on a tiny shitty phone, will probably read the sequels sometime soon once I'm not busy being cripplingly lethargic

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

I need more experience with writing female-oriented romance so I can start bringing in the lady-dollars.
    you could ask smash girl for recommendations and then play them and then discuss with her

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Oh shit, Minecraft 2 should be VR...

not being fucking Java would be enough sequel for me

you could have stuff like

A. a horizon

B. mountains

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I'm playing dark souls 3 and playing a claymore wielding paladin guy who is like SUPER HOLY MR GOODMAN

but then I found this miracle
    gnaw.png
    Dark miracle taught in the Cathedral of the Deep.

Summons insect swarm to feast on foes.

These insects which lurk in the Deep have tiny jaws lined with fangs to tear open the skin and burrow into the flesh in the blink of an eye, causing intense bleeding.

and im mightily tempted to suddenly be a fallen paladin..........

@desc

• Options

you could ask smash girl for recommendations and then play them and then discuss with her

I will do this thing.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    According to Steam I've played that lesbian anime game I bought 40 minutes so far. I don't really know what I think of it yet. I guess the writing seems kinda middling and I'm a little put off by the lack of interactivity - so far the game has literally just consisted of clicking through text, not a single dialogue option or anything. which is cool I guess - I don't really believe there's such a thing as an objectively correct level of interactivity. But lately what I really really crave is Telltale-style interactivity - games that are story heavy and 'on rails' and gameplay-lite but that still, like, ask you to do stuff

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

has he ever struck you as someone who would be fond of leftists

I mean no of course, I was just surprised if he had specifically talked about blowing up anarchists

there aren't that many of them!

seems like the main targets of the modern radical right is usually muslims (/'immigrants'/'terrorists') and 'cultural marxists'. Sometimes jews, for the specific kind of right wing Vikernes is down with.

• Options

He's old guard Mage.

I believe there 2-way are translation guides that let you use the old lore with the newer/ cleaner mechanics.

I can't even imagine the kind of iron grip an oMage GM would need to keep on their players to prevent them cracking the planet in half or something.

I definitely strongly recommend using the conversion guides for anyone who wants to run Masquerade, Ascension, Apocalypse, etc. I totally get people who prefer the old settings, but the old mechanics are just drenched in 90's-isms and you don't lose anything by porting them to a modern system, especially since the NWoD games are about 80% the same anyway. Pony has run a couple of Masquerade games with the Requiem rules and it worked great.

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    According to Steam I've played that lesbian anime game I bought 40 minutes so far. I don't really know what I think of it yet. I guess the writing seems kinda middling and I'm a little put off by the lack of interactivity - so far the game has literally just consisted of clicking through text, not a single dialogue option or anything. which is cool I guess - I don't really believe there's such a thing as an objectively correct level of interactivity. But lately what I really really crave is Telltale-style interactivity - games that are story heavy and 'on rails' and gameplay-lite but that still, like, ask you to do stuff

I think a bunch of the anime games on Steam are VNs which offer few to no choices.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    porp wrote: »
    ehetocu4gp2h.jpeg

Date night. Try and not be blinded by the bioluminescent man beside me.

A boy and his porp

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    greece is one place where anarchists vs fascists is as big and relevant a fight as in the 30s I guess

most places though, anarchists are a small fraction of a general leftist movement dominated by democratic socialists and greens

This discussion has been closed.