Options

[Overwatch 3.0] Justice Rains From Above!

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    honestly some of that kinda weird theme stuff is nice and refreshing and gives the game a good fun nature

like just all reinhardts or winstons could be crazy but still fun

Me and some friends are planning Operation Overwatch Freedom come release.

Rolling a 6-man team of Soldier 76s and seeing how far we can get. It worked surprisingly well in beta.

This video may or may not be involved in briefings
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R5A0pg4oN8

Suriko on
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    i died once in the beta so im pretty sure game is shit

Preorder cancelled.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    can someone just talk some sense into me? I think McCree and Soldier 76 are more powerhouses than Pharah and that Pharah is a lot more situational that both of them

and that makes me sad because my favorite class was the soldier in TF2. but I just don't see her being as useful as one of those Overwatch nerds that I mentioned before just based on what most comps run

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    can someone just talk some sense into me? I think McCree and Soldier 76 are more powerhouses than Pharah and that Pharah is a lot more situational that both of them

and that makes me sad because my favorite class was the soldier in TF2. but I just don't see her being as useful as one of those Overwatch nerds that I mentioned before just based on what most comps run

Dunno about powerhouse, but I'd say they are more versatile than Pharah for sure.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

yeah she's not as strong because she has counters

good widows will make your height advantage totally useless (in fact so will good mccrees and good 76s), you lose to good hitscan classes because their damage is instant and undodgable

and like, pharah will never kill a good tracer, where McCree and 76 can blow her out with Flashbang and Helix, which is a big strike against her

she's still a good character and you'll go far in the competitive queue if you get really good at her, but at tourney level there's a much bigger focus on the all-rounders, the general purpose characters that are always good and can't be counterpicked

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

She is, but I will say that I feel more effective and have more fun playing a situational character I love than I do a generalist character I tolerate. The game's for fun; you do you.

Tim is on the Internet on
    Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    76 is crazy because there's basically no recoil or bullet spread in any meaningful amount. So he has a hitscan weapon that you can just full auto and even at medium-long range most of them are going to land (or just constantly tap to have literally 100% accuracy).

People coming from CS:GO and such will absolutely find more killing power in 76 than anyone else.

Pharah gets screwed by any hitscan weapons, I found her approaching unplayable when there were good 76s on the other team because launching into the air gets you shot in the head immediately.
    Also the blast radius of her rockets is smaller than TF2 and the damage drops off a lot quicker as well.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    i died once in the beta so im pretty sure game is shit

You died once? Scrub.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    About the only thing I'd prefer for Pharah is that she wasn't so squishy doing her ult. It's pretty stupid that a turret halfway across the map handily beats a Pharah who is dumping missiles onto that same turret, and half the characters in the game can swat her in the middle of her ult without much problem. Some kinda shield or brief burst of armor wouldn't be bad.

Or maybe not even give her damage resistance, and instead give her some mobility during her ult. Her being stationary is probably a much larger problem than her health; I was using a Steam Controller for the entire beta and found it to be no particular challenge headshotting her during her ult. With KBAM, it would be laughably easy.

But if she could keep moving while cutting loose, it wouldn't be such a suicidal ult to use without having to take the enemy team almost entirely by surprise. Being able to strafe through a gap while firing off rockets would sure be a hell of a lot harder to shoot down than having to come to a total stop every time.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    nah, suicidal ults are fine

generally it's true that offense characters are good enough that you're often better off just shooting than using your ult, which is why they made them so hard to use

pop them when you can get an easy kill or two for free, or when one of your teammates manages to set up the golden opportunity. If there's significant enemy presence that will shoot you down if you try it just shoot them normally instead like it's your job to

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    If you're using Pharah's ult high in midair you're doing it wrong.

It shines when used like Reaper's - use your mobility to get in close, then step out and unload point blank. They melt too fast to react and you're not a massive midair target.

Also, odds are they looked up when the voice line went off.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Yeah you don't want to use Pharah ult while really far away and flying up in the sky. You want it at mid range near the ground and just obliterating the enemy team where they can't even react. You are far less vulnerable then as well as the people that are likely to kill you, are probably now dead.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I think one big think to remember with pharah is just that like

You don't HAVE to be airborne

A lot of times her flight can work better if you're saving it for escapes, or just use it to access high ground and shoot from there so you'll have a bit of cover

Like Pharah floating in the air vs. a soldier 76 is gonna have a tough time, but Pharah firing from higher ground can beat him up pretty easily, because splash damage weapons are so easy to peek with

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    yeah, like playing her like soldier 76 but using her mobility to flank and attack

being conservative etc. if you can land the shots.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Also, it's not like Pharah has trouble sneaking around the upper routes either. She's very good at it. But she still needs to move cover to cover - her flight is to stay high where she can aim down (where slightly off aim becomes splash damage) and the jet pack gets you out of situations, jump shoots (don't hover for god's sake), etc.

• Options
    i'd like her in that role

seems like a 76 fills it better but at least if you can aim better you can do more damage

• Options
    lol, the overwatch fb page put out a bunch of cards for heroes with brief descriptions and "combos with/strong against" icons

basically every hero that does AoE damage at any point has Zarya listed as a combo hero

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    tumblr_o6rly4N12I1vtnbbyo1_500.gif
    tumblr_o6rly4N12I1vtnbbyo2_500.gif

That tiny smile at the end is so saccharine sweet that I have diabetes now.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    If you're using Pharah's ult high in midair you're doing it wrong.

It shines when used like Reaper's - use your mobility to get in close, then step out and unload point blank. They melt too fast to react and you're not a massive midair target.

Also, odds are they looked up when the voice line went off.

JUSTICE RAINS FROM RIGHT IN YOUR FACE

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I heard you guys like cosplay
    gaw64H1l.jpg
    Only 6 more days...

If this doesn't become your forum avatar I will be very disappoint.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The wiki doesn't have the numbers, but I feel like Soldier 76's helix rockets have better splash than Pharah does. That could just be because of how often I use 76's rocket specifically to secure a kill on somebody after popping them with rifle, though.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    Is there a campaign?

Is it co-op?

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    The wiki doesn't have the numbers, but I feel like Soldier 76's helix rockets have better splash than Pharah does. That could just be because of how often I use 76's rocket specifically to secure a kill on somebody after popping them with rifle, though.

Stats from the Cynical Nerds Quick Guide videos:
    Soldier 76 rockets: 120 damage for a direct hit; splash damage can go as low as 45, 2 meter range.
    Pharah rockets: 120 damage for a direct hit; splash damage can go as low as 10, 2 meter range.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    Taco Bell has failed me.

Guess I'll have to preorder.

• Options
    Sumanai wrote: »

Soldier 76 rockets: 120 damage for a direct hit; splash damage can go as low as 45, 2 meter range.
    Pharah rockets: 120 damage for a direct hit; splash damage can go as low as 10, 2 meter range.

That seems... yeesh.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »
    Is there a campaign?

Is it co-op?

There's no campaign and the only coop is a regular match, but with humans against bots.

• Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    Ok cool. Thanks.

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Sumanai wrote: »

That seems... yeesh.

Yeah, that'd definitely explain why any time I shot at a wounded enemy with Soldier 76, a hit was a kill. Close to 50 damage for the splash is nice.

It also explains why Pharah seems to do so poorly in fights where you can't land direct/near direct hits. I guess that's an intentional design decision to stop her from being excellent at area denial/zoning out Widowmakers?

E: The max splash range seems really low, though; it's shorter than melee range.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    SOldier 76's rockets have a big cooldown though, so I don't mind that tradeoff.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    knight11eknight11e Registered User regular
    that's weird, it always felt to me like Pharah's rockets had a much larger splash range.

themoreyouknow.jpg

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Apparently physical copies will be available at GameStop Monday morning now to help get everyone ready to go when servers go live.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    knight11e wrote: »
    that's weird, it always felt to me like Pharah's rockets had a much larger splash range.

themoreyouknow.jpg

On the plus side when you start firing rockets in to a group of enemies they're gonna scatter. Handy for softening up choke points or clearing an objective.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    See that makes way too much sense. I always wondered why PS4 games that want to download a 5 gig patch the day its released dont just release the patch the day before for download for eager people. Took me until 8pm to start to play Uncharted 4.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Are they going to put up a preload soon? It's unavailable for download in the launcher currently.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Are they going to put up a preload soon? It's unavailable for download in the launcher currently.

Do you have the open beta version installed? By all accounts that is the launch version minus a patch for minor bug fixes.

If not then I'm not sure on pre-load info.

Axen on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Amazon upgraded their preorders as scheduled to arrive the day before launch instead of the day of.
    Pharah be praised

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    On a different note, man from what I gleaned from the comic Symmetra is one bad day away from becoming a super villain. That woman's psyche is tiptoeing a thin line.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    On a different note, man from what I gleaned from the comic Symmetra is one bad day away from becoming a super villain. That woman's psyche is tiptoeing a thin line.

She just wants to build a better future, whether you like it or not.

488W936.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Lawful neutral?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I can already tell ya I'm not "perfect" enough to have a place in her "better" future.

I hope she at least has the sympathy to provide us non-perfects with delightfully symmetrical camps in which to spend the rest of our days. :razz:

Axen on
This discussion has been closed.