Options

[Overwatch 3.0] Justice Rains From Above!

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Something always seemed really familiar about the Overwatch theme, and I think I figured it out. It reminds me of the Pacific Rim theme:

https://youtu.be/sH_6iFYiryY

huh, i always thought it distinctively had that captain america, ww2 really brassy kinda sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrXwAeJ87Bk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5FsjHRIVrc

Yeah, it really doesn't have the "heavy mecha action" feel or anything like that characteristic "BWOOOM!" of Pacific Rim's theme. The beginning part definitely sounds more like the Captain America theme Brian linked, but the modern-sounding part that begins after about 40 seconds in reminds me of the Metal Gear Solid 2 theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiPon8lr48U.

Edit: or the Sam Raimi Spider-Man films' scores maybe?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Another awesome map breakdown. The hero selections he chose aren't bad but even as he mentions in the video they are hardly the only options, just his own personal viewpoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDp0iZ09nOE

More importantly how he breaks down the map as a whole is top notch.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    -silent--silent- Registered User regular
    Thanks guys. Didn't play the beta, didn't know much about the game until yesterday. Now it's preordered through Amazon.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Symmetra's shield ability seemed pretty weak to me.

When I cast it on players, usually I'd only see one bar turn blue. That didn't seem like much.

Is it as weak as it seemed or am I just missing something?

RT800 on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

When I cast it on players, usually I'd only see one bar turn blue. That didn't seem like much.

it used to be 50 but now its 25

its not strong now no but it used to be pretty stronkerino

it has very specific utility on some people liek zenyatta or traceroni

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Specifically, that extra 25 HP makes it so a Widowmaker can't kill them in one shot to the body.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    It may seem weak at a glance but as each player's skill becomes more similar, you'd find that every point of hp counts. As a more concrete example, Tracer/Zenyatta's total hp pool is at 150. Widow's full charged shot also does 150 damage. With a mere 25 hp increase, it means that either of these characters still live after taking a charged Widow shot and gets to react before Widow fires the 2nd shot (however unlikely). Widow also has to track that character for a while longer and all these small adjustments add up over time, especially for those clutch moments where the difference between life and death is just another hit.

Symmetra's shields were nerfed from 50 hp to 25 hp and Blizzard already found that it reduced the overall defense winrate just because of this change.

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    It may seem weak at a glance but as each player's skill becomes more similar, you'd find that every point of hp counts. As a more concrete example, tracer/Zenyatta's total hp pool is at 150. Widow's full charged shot also does 150 damage. With a mere 25 hp increase, it means that either of these characters still live after taking a charged Widow shot and gets to react before Widow fires the 2nd shot (however unlikely). Widow also has to track that character for a while longer and all these small adjustments add up over time.

Symmetra's shields were nerfed from 50 hp to 25 hp and Blizzard already found that it reduced the overall defense winrate just because of this change.

And, in the case of Tracer, she's now still alive and can rewind to undo that damage.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I distinctly remember one Route 66 game as Hanzo where I realized I had 26 health after symmetra's shield regenerated

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

I thought the deal was, unlike Torbjorn's armor pickups, the shield Symmetra gives will actually persist and regenerate, effectively adding 25 to every team members' permanent health if they stay alive

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    It may seem weak at a glance but as each player's skill becomes more similar, you'd find that every point of hp counts. As a more concrete example, Tracer/Zenyatta's total hp pool is at 150. Widow's full charged shot also does 150 damage. With a mere 25 hp increase, it means that either of these characters still live after taking a charged Widow shot and gets to react before Widow fires the 2nd shot (however unlikely). Widow also has to track that character for a while longer and all these small adjustments add up over time, especially for those clutch moments where the difference between life and death is just another hit.

The other big thing most people do not realize is shields regenerate and fairly quick. The ability to bound in an out of cover allows them to mitigate a lot of damage on certain heroes. When that number was 50 it could add tons more to someones life in the right circumstances. And that issue was compounded when they could also have Zenyatta orbs anywhere and regenerate both (at the same time I believe as long as you haven't taken damage in a few seconds).

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Another awesome map breakdown. The hero selections he chose aren't bad but even as he mentions in the video they are hardly the only options, just his own personal viewpoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDp0iZ09nOE

More importantly how he breaks down the map as a whole is top notch.

this video is nonsense it implies you should play champions that are not roadhog

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah I mean, just think of every fight you lose by a few HP. That's certainly not the majority of them, but it's still a decent slice of them. Symmetra's 25 hps mean now you win those fights.

Doesn't save you from a rocket to the face, but over the course of many fights during a match that difference can rapidly begin adding up.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »
    Yeah I mean, just think of every fight you lose by a few HP. That's certainly not the majority of them, but it's still a decent slice of them. Symmetra's 25 hps mean now you win those fights.

Doesn't save you from a rocket to the face, but over the course of many fights during a match that difference can rapidly begin adding up.

right and then think of all the fights you would win if you had, say, 600hp isntead of 150hp like tracer???

this is why roadhog® is the only proven solution to

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    roadhog should be able to pull torb's turret

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

It does seem weird he can pull Bastion out of turret but not Torbjorn's. I mean, it's gotta be lighter, right?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options

well i feel like pulling him away from his turret is crueller its like ur forcing them to have a divorce...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular

well i feel like pulling him away from his turret is crueller its like ur forcing them to have a divorce...

Yeah but he was probably cheating anyway because like 10 seconds later he's sitting there with another turret. That one looks a lot younger too.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Also this is what it's like to play Mei, every game is like this highlight reel

https://youtube.com/ngLeb3FFXBE

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    That video is why a good Mei is god damned terrifying.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

Mei and Genji, man

Just don't know how to deal with them at high levels

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Olivaw wrote: »

Mei and Genji, man

jesus, Mei's icicle does 75 damage, 5 damage higher than MccRee's

plus the Freezing

tyrannus on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    It's also a projectile with travel time compared to a hitscan weapon, though.

• Options
    It's also a projectile with travel time compared to a hitscan weapon, though.

And a delayed fire

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »

Mei and Genji, man

jesus, Mei's icicle does 75 damage, 5 damage higher than MccRee's

plus the Freezing

It fires a lot slower and has travel time, so that's not too surprising.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Mei's icicle would be pretty meh without her ability to slow and freeze people. The charge/travel time makes it become rapidly unreliable past closer ranges, and it's mostly just a nuisance at longer ranges because you have to avoid it if people know you're shooting at them.

Except for stationary targets at long range, where you get to make people feel dumb for getting stabbed in the head with a big ice spike.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Mei's icicle would be pretty meh without her ability to slow and freeze people. The charge/travel time makes it become rapidly unreliable past closer ranges, and it's mostly just a nuisance at longer ranges because you have to avoid it if people know you're shooting at them.

Except for stationary targets at long range, where you get to make people feel dumb for getting stabbed in the head with a big ice spike.

Eh, the ROF is enough that you may as well keep putting them downrange on an entrance if the enemy has to funnel through it, and it's painful enough to matter on the occasional hit.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I love this

https://youtu.be/krbhq4uO0oE

Edit: someone on Reddit said that Mei is Overwatch's Teemo. Oh god. I'm a Teemo Mein.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4fnydp/overwatch_hero_meta_report_9_its_high_noon_with/
    These gifs demonstrate what Pros have been using McCree’s Deadeye to do: break through Reinhardt’s Shield. Deadeye charges up to lethal range based on its targets’ health -- whether they’re behind a Reinhardt Shield or not. As it turns out, this can be quite a lot of damage! So much damage, that there may be something buggy going on. Reinhardt’s Shield only has 2000 health, and if you charge up Deadeye until right before it fires, it appears that you can exceed the total health of the Heroes behind the shield with each bullet that it fires.

From the Reinhardt’s perspective (left), his shield has 1800 health and it gets popped from the Deadeye (you can see the Shield health drop to 0 on his HUD, so we know he didn’t just put it down). From the McCree’s perspective (right), he picks off the Reaper to his right and Zarya when she hops above the Shield -- leaving just the Mercy and Reinhardt hiding behind the barrier. Even at full health, Mercy plus Reinhardt’s combined health adds up to significantly less than 1800, yet the Deadeye pops Reinhardt’s Shield anyway! Something fishy is definitely going on here -- and the Pros know how to exploit it.

If I had to guess, McCree’s Deadeye may be charging above the maximum health of Heroes behind Reinhardt’s Shield -- perhaps taking the health of the Shield itself into account -- allowing him to fire off shots of >900 damage a piece. Alternatively, Deadeye may actually be charging to some 1000+ Health number to ensure a “lethal” shot, instead of charging to the exact number equivalent to the target’s health. Whatever the reason, the end result is that McCree is being abused to break through Reinhardt Shields. This is causing strategic contradictions to occur; the choice of hiding behind Reinhardt’s shield in the case of Deadeye should be the "correct" choice -- but instead it's causing all sorts of problems. The situation looks even worse if you have enough Heroes hiding behind the Shield, as Deadeye can break the shield in only a few shots, and then kill the remaining Hero

tyrannus on
  • Options
    that post demonstrates just how bad these so-called pros really are

mei less than 5% pick rate? these "professionals" (IF ONE CAN EVEN CALL THEM THAT) are nothing but SQUMBAGS. Sad!

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    was surrealitycheck always this surreal

p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    also I think it's weird that Pharah having the same health as a Lucio or a Genji is weird, but probably just because I want her to be more Soldier from TF2

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    This is post-league Check, now tinier, angrier, and crabbier.

I remember from some video series where they go into the characters in depth that McCree's ult charges up something like 170-180 damage a second per target and the skull notification is just there to let you know you have lethal damage charged. I imagine it doesn't just stop charging once it thinks it has lethal damage since there is always the possibility that they might get a sudden armor pack, health kit, or shield added but they still should be punished for not realizing what time it was.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    was surrealitycheck always this surreal

sounds like you need to go back in time and check the surreality : o

tumblr_nytipxdMmj1us9io2o1_1280.png

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I like to think this is Tracer's internal soundtrack.

https://youtu.be/ZXN6tgE4g_4?t=12

I might actually start playing Tracer if she ever gets a Marty McFly skin.

Rius on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Mysterious Overwatch tweet.

Don't fuck with me Blizzard, my heart can't take it.

Edit- I assume some sort of party shenanigans?

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4fnydp/overwatch_hero_meta_report_9_its_high_noon_with/
    These gifs demonstrate what Pros have been using McCree’s Deadeye to do: break through Reinhardt’s Shield. Deadeye charges up to lethal range based on its targets’ health -- whether they’re behind a Reinhardt Shield or not. As it turns out, this can be quite a lot of damage! So much damage, that there may be something buggy going on. Reinhardt’s Shield only has 2000 health, and if you charge up Deadeye until right before it fires, it appears that you can exceed the total health of the Heroes behind the shield with each bullet that it fires.

From the Reinhardt’s perspective (left), his shield has 1800 health and it gets popped from the Deadeye (you can see the Shield health drop to 0 on his HUD, so we know he didn’t just put it down). From the McCree’s perspective (right), he picks off the Reaper to his right and Zarya when she hops above the Shield -- leaving just the Mercy and Reinhardt hiding behind the barrier. Even at full health, Mercy plus Reinhardt’s combined health adds up to significantly less than 1800, yet the Deadeye pops Reinhardt’s Shield anyway! Something fishy is definitely going on here -- and the Pros know how to exploit it.

If I had to guess, McCree’s Deadeye may be charging above the maximum health of Heroes behind Reinhardt’s Shield -- perhaps taking the health of the Shield itself into account -- allowing him to fire off shots of >900 damage a piece. Alternatively, Deadeye may actually be charging to some 1000+ Health number to ensure a “lethal” shot, instead of charging to the exact number equivalent to the target’s health. Whatever the reason, the end result is that McCree is being abused to break through Reinhardt Shields. This is causing strategic contradictions to occur; the choice of hiding behind Reinhardt’s shield in the case of Deadeye should be the "correct" choice -- but instead it's causing all sorts of problems. The situation looks even worse if you have enough Heroes hiding behind the Shield, as Deadeye can break the shield in only a few shots, and then kill the remaining Hero

First reply.
    Here's what I think happened. Keep in mind McCree shots go from right to left.
    Shot 1 kills Reaper.
    Shot 2 hits Reinhardt's Barrier, targeting Mercy. No damage is done to Mercy. 933 damage is done to the Barrier.
    Shot 3 hits Reinhardt's Barrier, targeting Reinhardt. No damage is done to Reinhardt. 967 damage is done to the Barrier, destroying it.
    Shot 4 kills Zarya.
    Mercy is killed after the fact by Lucio.
    My Guess:
    Deadeye doesn't actually stop "charging" damage after it finishes "locking on a target".
    Deadeye takes about 170 HP per second to charge. So a Roadhog at 600 HP would take about 3.5 seconds to charge. However, the assumption was that once Deadeye locks on, it stops accumulating damage (in Roadhog's case, it caps at 600 damage.
    My take from your evidence is that it actually doesn't cap at player HP: that it continues to charge for the duration that a target is in line of sight. That would explain the 900+ damage shots that Reinhardt's Barrier took on shots 2 and 3.
    So, not a bug per se, but just how Deadeye works?

This discussion has been closed.