Options

[Movies] Holy shit! They're Making a BFG Movie?

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    The last Bond was Spectre.

Yes. Yes it was.

Skyfall was great, Spectre was awful.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    the man from u.n.c.l.e. had two things going against it:

it's title

trying to cash in on a nostalgia that, frankly, doesn't exist -- see also: john carter

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Spectre is a good movie

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Spectre is a good movie

Spectre is 2/3rds of a good movie flushed into the abyss of the other 1/3rd.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Today I watched Xmen Apocalypse and then at home Gods of Egypt.

The fact that I enjoyed the later more than the former bummed me out

What sort of bad was Gods of Egypt?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

it's title

trying to cash in on a nostalgia that, frankly, doesn't exist -- see also: john carter

I felt that way about The Lone Ranger and the Peanuts movie.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    There is absolutely Peanuts nostalgia

Maybe not for a feature film

But it is there

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I felt the style they went with betrayed the nostalgia though. They made very much a kids movie, marketed towards kids, but kids have no idea what Peanuts is.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Jupiter Ascending was my favorite movie of last year until the second half of the year when we started getting some heavy hitters like Creed and The Force Awakens

It's beautiful

How?

How???

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I watched Jupiter Ascending drunk and it was hilarious

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Jupiter Ascending was my favorite movie of last year until the second half of the year when we started getting some heavy hitters like Creed and The Force Awakens

It's beautiful

How?

How???
    Unbreakable Vow wrote:

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I CREATE LIFE

and I destroy it

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I remember not thinking too kindly of Sunshine when I watched it years ago, but the movies with Mikey video on it has made me really want to see it again.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I actually will stand for the second half of Sunshine

Yeah, it switches genres, but it does that other genre really good too

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I loved the Peanuts film

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Skyfall was alright.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I love Sunshine. Best movie I don't own on Blu ray for some reason.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    John Carter was a fun movie.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Skyfall is mostly good. Absolutely gorgeous. Spectre is OK until Bond falls onto the couch two minutes in, then the rest of the movie is a dumpster fire.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Skyfall lost me with the train bit. Meaning the perfectly timed one midway through. I just didn't care much about the rest. It looked amazing, specifically everything to do with Skyfall. But the fact that it legitimized
    Bond, James Bond as his actual name
    bothered me. It made no sense from a continuity standpoint, what with M being played by Dench again.

Anyways, yeah, I thought TMfU was the more solid film all around.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

it's title

I felt that way about The Lone Ranger and the Peanuts movie.

the lone ranger and peanuts still have some nostalgia behind them.

like, the charlie brown christmas tree is still sold in stores, and the lone ranger is kind of synonymous with "western."

i don't think anyone has thought twice about the man from u.n.c.l.e. since 1968

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Bond was always his real name. The code name thing was just a fun fan idea. There isn't supposed to be any continuity between Craig Bond and anything before it. Dench is playing a different version of the same character.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Bond was always his real name. The code name thing was just a fun fan idea. There isn't supposed to be any continuity between Craig Bond and anything before it. Dench is playing a different version of the same character.

yeah while that was fun, disliking a movie because it confirms what has always been the truth about the character seems silly

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Jupiter Ascending has a lot of really great shit going for it, but that long chase scene with the space fighters is awful. Everything else is excellent. Bees don't lie, bureaucracy montage, shirtless rollerblading dog boy Channing Tatum, etc.

Also I want that wedding dress so bad.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    bond's real name is DOOM Marine

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

It's beautiful

How?

How???

Either the Wachowskis are just better at this or everyone else was slacking off last year

Take your pick!

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

Absolutely but I like to play pretend!

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Attack the Block is such a good movie

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    the wachowskis have made exactly 1 good movie

the rest varies between watchable eye-candy and absolutely unbearable dreck

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I haven't seen Jupiter Ascending but having listened to the flophouse on it, it sounds like dumb fun.

The Matrix 1 was still their best movie.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I genuinely like Speed Racer the most

Matrix 1 has some weird tonal stuff that's totally not its fault in 2016

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I reeeeally need to watch Speed Racer.

I love John Goodman.

• Options
    I like Bound and The Matrix and Speed Racer and Jupiter Ascending

And I half-like The Matrix Reloaded? I probably need to give it another watch

I hated The Matrix Revolutions

And still never seen Cloud Atlas

• Options
    speed racer is a trash movie that looks good and people convince themselves that it is interesting

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    speed racer is a trash movie that looks good and people convince themselves that it is interesting

Nah

• Options

Nah

no

the movie is shit

you're absolutely allowed to like and enjoy shit, I do it all the time and AJ almost exclusively likes bad movies, but it is a bad movie

• Options

Nah

no

the movie is shit

you're absolutely allowed to like and enjoy shit, I do it all the time and AJ almost exclusively likes bad movies, but it is a bad movie

Actually, it's good

• Options

Nah

no

the movie is shit

Actually, it's good

a rousing 39 on rotten tomatoes certainly supports your point

• Options
    One might even say it's one of the best movies they've ever seen

One might say that

(That one is me)

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    And we all know movies never turn around from their initial critical receptions

6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.