Options

[Movies] Holy shit! They're Making a BFG Movie?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    I just rewatched Cast Away for the first time in a while.

God damn is that a good movie.

Has any film ever suffered so much for giving away its ending in the trailer?

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It was a Zemeckis movie. There's absolutely no way he's not getting off the island.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

I never saw any of the trailers for it, thankfully - I'm a bit too young for that.

Although I did wonder about what the reaction would have been if the boat had just sailed right on past him and the movie ended right there and then.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    So I'm watching Nightcrawler.

This soundtrack sure doesn't match this movie well.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I think the better question to ask is is there a series that is that long with the same main character(s), acted by the same people, that is still relevant

and I can really only think of the MCU

Harry Potter was 8 movies (thanks to book splitting). There's a 9th 'Potterverse' movie coming out this year.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Charlize Theron in a Metallica shirt is like

My ideal villain

Also my ideal hero

She's just ideal

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The next Fast and Furious movie will take place completely in Google self-driven cars.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    The next Fast and Furious movie will take place completely in Google self-driven cars.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Castaway was a good movie, and the best FedEx related movie ever.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular

I never saw any of the trailers for it, thankfully - I'm a bit too young for that.

Although I did wonder about what the reaction would have been if the boat had just sailed right on past him and the movie ended right there and then.

That movie was perfect for setting up the ambiguous ending. Have it end as the boat is still moving and he's got his hand up.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Cabezone wrote: »

That movie was perfect for setting up the ambiguous ending. Have it end as the boat is still moving and he's got his hand up.

That would have been terrible though

Survival movies that end on the rescue are the worst thing

I think the only time I didn't mind it was Captain Phillips, and that's because, I mean, he's a real person and they do give a summation of "hey he eventually went back to his career as a captain"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »

That would have been terrible though

Survival movies that end on the rescue are the worst thing

I think the only time I didn't mind it was Captain Phillips, and that's because, I mean, he's a real person and they do give a summation of "hey he eventually went back to his career as a captain"

It worked for that Robert Redford movie

But that's a weird movie to begin with

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Suddenly I really want to see The Angry Birds Movie

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    It occurred to me when I was reading about the Angry Birds movie that telling a story that is anti-colonialism without being on some level also anti-immigrant might be a tough row to hoe

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Weren't the Pigs in the Angry Birds games always depicted as Soviet militia?

edit: oh ok, apparently not, I just did a quick google and it looks like my brain just made that up

Veldrin on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    This new international Ghostbusters trailer seems like the most solid one so far

https://youtu.be/B2HPOw4h8Fo

Sorry still not enough of kate mckinnon sorry.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    The thing that makes me angriest about the new Ghostbusters trailer is how damn good Chris Hemsworth looks.

So ANGRY.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    The thing that makes me angriest about the new Ghostbusters trailer is how damn good Chris Hemsworth looks.

So ANGRY.
    The real reason behind a million down votes.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I'm watching London Has Fallen (I know I know) and I'm hoping they explain how like 30 police and elite guards were double agents and nobody noticed. Like when they all showed up for work that day did everyone go "hey bob you look different", nah don't worry about it, I know I'm white and a woman, and bob was black and a man, but trust me I'm bob, also I'm not a terrorist

Also if they explain that they're mercenaries or something they're going to have to explain why mercenaries were willing to die for this operation

Seriously there's like 100 of these guys

My suspension of disbelief

Although it does have some hilariously nonsense lines so I'm going with it

Prohass on
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    I'm watching London Has Fallen (I know I know) and I'm hoping they explain how like 30 police and elite guards were double agents and nobody noticed. Like when they all showed up for work that day did everyone go "hey bob you look different", nah don't worry about it, I know I'm white and a woman, and bob was black and a man, but trust me I'm bob, also I'm not a terrorist

Also if they explain that they're mercenaries or something they're going to have to explain why mercenaries were willing to die for this operation

Seriously there's like 100 of these guys

My suspension of disbelief

Although it does have some hilariously nonsense lines so I'm going with it

They remembered what name was on their uniform and didn't give half-assed answer when asked who they were.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    So after watching Duncan Jones and Robert Kazinsky talk it up at PAX, I'm really, really hoping that Warcraft turns out good and does well, because I have never seen two Hollywood dudes be such complete unabashed nerds about a video game property they're adapting for a movie, and their enthusiasm is infectious.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Yeah but generally police tend to work with their own squads and with colleagues they've known for years. The opening sequence has literally dozens of double agents suddenly turning, from elite guards in Buckingham palace to cops, ambulance workers, people even in the same car. Like you'd have to have a lot of good explainations and luck that not one of these dozens of guys was discovered while working that whole day, not a single person got questioned as to who they were, and every single officer was working with strangers? That's not how it works.

Also most of them were suiciders, either through explosives or just knowing they were going to get shot. And they were mainly white looking, when the terrorist behind it is middle eastern, so I'm wracking my brain where they got all these Caucasian guys (dozens, at least 30) willing to die for the terrorists personal vengeance, unless they're Chechen or some sort of undisclosed terrorist group. I'm hoping!

Basically it was super weird and will be unless there is one heck of an explaination

Also wow that's a lot of stinger launchers and where the fuck are all the regular cops?

Sorry I'm half serious with all this I know it's a silly film

Prohass on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular

Wait a minute, Simon Pegg wrote Beyond?

Alright, I'm down.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Also this movies dialogue is the hyperbole capital of the world

I've already guessed who the mole is, still doesn't make any of the opening sequence makes sense, but I'll allow it for more lines like this

"He's killed more men than the plague!"
    "If we send the army in we'll turn London into Fallujah"

Prohass on
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Yeah but generally police tend to work with their own squads and with colleagues they've known for years. The opening sequence has literally dozens of double agents suddenly turning, from elite guards in Buckingham palace to cops, ambulance workers, people even in the same car. Like you'd have to have a lot of good explainations and luck that not one of these dozens of guys was discovered while working that whole day, not a single person got questioned as to who they were, and every single officer was working with strangers? That's not how it works.

Also most of them were suiciders, either through explosives or just knowing they were going to get shot. And they were mainly white looking, when the terrorist behind it is middle eastern, so I'm wracking my brain where they got all these Caucasian guys (dozens, at least 30) willing to die for the terrorists personal vengeance, unless they're Chechen or some sort of undisclosed terrorist group. I'm hoping!

Basically it was super weird and will be unless there is one heck of an explaination

Also wow that's a lot of stinger launchers and where the fuck are all the regular cops?

Sorry I'm half serious with all this I know it's a silly film

It's like the Manchurian Candidate only with a significant portion of the police force and other domestic services.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Hahaha the president comes out of the closet and shoots a terrorist to save the Gerard
    "I was wondering when you were going to come out of the closet"
    "That's not funny"

Haha wtf is this movie?

Also them laughing and saying WE MADE IT! And smiling and laughing like big goons while a truck is hurtling towards them unseen, I burst out laughing the scene just looked so bizzare and hilarious

Prohass on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    The Nice Guys was a pretty dang Shane Black movie

fun, funny, noiry, violent, set at Christmas, smart but not complex

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Oh man

"You hear that? That's the sound of inevitability"

Did they, did they just rip off a Matrix quote?

Also it has a ratio of regular dialogue to one-liners of like 30/70

This movie

Man

Holy shit

Prohass on
  • Options
    Wait, isn't London Has Fallen still in theaters?

Are you live-tweeting in the theater?

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I'm going to posit the following:

Prince of Thieves..... good?

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options

It's likely a second-run dollar theater or something, it came out March 1st

You kinda get what you pay for at those theaters

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I had time to kill before classes

Also yep they never explained all the mercenaries! Based on dialogue and scenes I'd say about 200-300 heavily armed dudes, most white and Anglo-looking, able to infiltrate the Royal guard and police. They chalked it all up to one inside guy who did it for the money. Did all those other guys who opened fire surrounded by dudes do it for the money too? Who knows!

Gerard Butler gets back to see his baby, who I assume is named "One-Liner"

Prohass on
  • Options

It's likely a second-run dollar theater or something, it came out March 1st

You kinda get what you pay for at those theaters

The local second-run theater has a strictly enforced "no phones out during the show" rule.

It's also the only theater in town that lets you put the (real) butter on your popcorn.

It's a good theater.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular

https://youtu.be/NJk-yQadw_U

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Okay, I kinda want to watch that movie just for Alan Rickman. Dude looks like he's enjoying himself.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Seriously though, this may actually be my favorite villain death ever.

https://youtu.be/3_fhfRODOmc

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    "Because it's DULL, YOU TWIT! IT'LL HURT MORE!"

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options

It's corny.

But it knows it is corny. And it leans into it just the right amount.

This discussion has been closed.