Options

[Movies] Holy shit! They're Making a BFG Movie?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Wrong, if you watch "Things" you die, you die because it kills you

yes but not before it is thoroughly roasted

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The Raid bored me

the raid is one of the more boring movies with that level of violence I've ever seen, its why I've never gotten around to the second one

I love martial arts films, I grew up watching Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Chow Yun Fat, and Jet Li beat the everloving shit out of thousands of bad guys over the years.

The Raid has a nasty habit of drawing out the 'big' fight scenes for too long. The worst offender is the battle in the room between the psycho bad dude and the brothers, I was looking for the fast-forward button on my remote the first time I ever watched the film...

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    The Raid bored me

the raid is one of the more boring movies with that level of violence I've ever seen, its why I've never gotten around to the second one

The second one is much better about pacing or its fights. It plays the "peaks and valleys" game expertly in comparison, unlike The Raid 1 which, while good, was just exhausting and a bit numbing by the end.

The Raid 2, on the other hand, has a bunch of quiet moments bookended by action, a couple of which I'd class as 'all-timers'.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    look i have dug through the depths

the worst film is snuffin' zombies

https://youtu.be/ZqZW1P76yqk

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The Raid bored me

I love martial arts films, I grew up watching Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Chow Yun Fat, and Jet Li beat the everloving shit out of thousands of bad guys over the years.

The Raid has a nasty habit of drawing out the 'big' fight scenes for too long. The worst offender is the battle in the room between the psycho bad dude and the brothers, I was looking for the fast-forward button on my remote the first time I ever watched the film...

I had a bunch of people over to drink and watch martial arts movies and they voted to turn the movie off and go to the next one there.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Things is maybe the worst movie

Like, I'm not even sure its sufferable with people

It is actually haunted

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    The Raid bored me

Depending on why it bored you, The Raid 2 might be more interesting to you. It puts a lot more emphasis on plot and character development for context to the fights. So... if that was your problem, maybe it'll be less of a problem for you with The Raid 2 (The New Batch)?

• Options
    also: kill whitey

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The Raid bored me

I had a bunch of people over to drink and watch martial arts movies and they voted to turn the movie off and go to the next one there.

The thing is, some of the scenes are so fucking good, with the smashing through the floors and blowing up gas cylinders and shit, that one in particular was pretty tense.

Then you have three guys murdering each other in a room for 20 minutes. If they'd ended that scene when the dude gets stabbed in the throat, that would still probably be too long.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I mean, have you folks ever actually talked to someone about a classically-good film?

It is real difficult to have it be anything but boring.

I'd much rather talk about Beetlejuice than Citizen Kane.

I love watching a film with someone who is an ardent, passionate fan of the film, someone who can share with me fun tidbits about the film and point out not-so obvious things.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    James Cameron's Avatar has an 83% on RT and that's why you can't trust critics

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I mean, have you folks ever actually talked to someone about a classically-good film?

I love watching a film with someone who is an ardent, passionate fan of the film, someone who can share with me fun tidbits about the film and point out not-so obvious things.

that is a completely different context

i love doing that when watching movies with people what ain't seen one of my favorites

but having a conversation, sans that context, is basically just a more verbose the chris farley show

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The Raid bored me

The second one is a completely different ball game. It's The Godfather with fight scenes.

• Options

i love doing that when watching movies with people what ain't seen one of my favorites

but having a conversation, sans that context, is basically just a more verbose the chris farley show

Talking about films when all participants in the conversation haven't seen it is never fun for the people who haven't seen it.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I still think I like the first Raid more. I love how raw and unpolished it is.

• Options

Critical review for a film are based on initial impressions soon after viewing a film.

Everybody's impression of Avatar cooled rather quickly, but initially everybody was like "yeah okay that was a cool movie"

• Options

Talking about films when all participants in the conversation haven't seen it is never fun for the people who haven't seen it.

it's also the same if it is a universally beloved film that all participants have seen

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I still think I like the first Raid more. I love how raw and unpolished it is.

Yeah, the story is super straight-forward and the music is real good too

I might love The Raid 2 more, but it's also a movie I have to settle in to watch

Sucker is long

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Raid 2 is maybe one of my favourite movies, and I found the first pretty boring. 2 on DVD is best watched in 3 parts like a miniseries. It's generally pretty obvious when to take a break.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I really liked the raid 1 myself.

aaaah I have so many movies to watch and never enough time.

• Options
    i was raised on pointless ultraviolence, so the raid was so unequivocally my jam.

the raid 2 is better than it on every conceivable level, however.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    There's no argument that The Raid 2 is by far the better movie.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I still need to see John Wick as well. I have been wanting to go into that one p much blind.

I've heard how it starts but I wanna see where it takes it.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    The Raid bored me

I know among a few people, the quality of The Raid is questioned. But even in a 50-50 split, I'd find the odds of every person in the room also disliking it to be real low.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Raid 2 is maybe one of my favourite movies, and I found the first pretty boring. 2 on DVD is best watched in 3 parts like a miniseries. It's generally pretty obvious when to take a break.

The Prison Arc
    The Undercover Arc
    The Betrayal Arc

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Critical review for a film are based on initial impressions soon after viewing a film.

Everybody's impression of Avatar cooled rather quickly, but initially everybody was like "yeah okay that was a cool movie"

It was also the first movie to REALLY use 3D effectively. Got a lot of initial buzz because of that.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    There's no argument that The Raid 2 is by far the better movie.

Sure there is, the first one is tighter paced, more focused, and I found all the extra plot in 2 didn't add much. I like both movies a whole lot though

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    The Raid bored me

I hadn't seen a martial arts movie until I was 22 or 23 I think, but I fell in love with Jackie Chan movies immediately. Each one is not only filled with great fighting, but there are also bits of his humor in each one, and the outtakes at the end are half harrowing and half hilarious.

godmode on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    rhylith wrote: »

It was also the first movie to REALLY use 3D effectively. Got a lot of initial buzz because of that.
    Counterpoint:

fTAvjPZ.jpg?1

wandering on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

Counterpoint:

fTAvjPZ.jpg?1

Something you can only see at Disney World doesn't count!

• Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    The Raid bored me

I know among a few people, the quality of The Raid is questioned. But even in a 50-50 split, I'd find the odds of every person in the room also disliking it to be real low.

you caught me, I'm a liar, I made it up

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

Counterpoint:

fTAvjPZ.jpg?1

Something you can only see at Disney World doesn't count!
    That's not true

You can also see it at Disneyland

• Options
    The Raid bored me

Oh FUCK look, look everyone he fessed up HE CONFESSED LOOK AT THE LIAR MAN EVERYONE

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    The Raid bored me

Oh FUCK look, look everyone he fessed up HE CONFESSED LOOK AT THE LIAR MAN EVERYONE

Good on him for being honest when pressed!

We should all pay attention to the Liar Man for being a good example.

Thank you, Liar Man!

• Options
    The Tale of the Ass and the Liar Man

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    This reminds me of when YaYa got in a game of Rocket League with myself and a few of my friends

And he asked in the chat if they were aware of my opinions regarding Fury Road and I was like "yeah of course"

And then they were all like "yeah it's nothing special," "it's okay," etc. and YaYa seemed so confused

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    This reminds me of when YaYa got in a game of Rocket League with myself and a few of my friends

And he asked in the chat if they were aware of my opinions regarding Fury Road and I was like "yeah of course"

And then they were all like "yeah it's nothing special," "it's okay," etc. and YaYa seemed so confused

it is very fortunate I did not have a mic that night

• Options
    the concept that your opinion on a movie is so prevailing that someone saying their friends didn't enjoy it must be lying is like

maybe the most arrogant thing I've read this week?

No wait trump is still in the news never mind

• Options
    I didn't say you were lying, though. I said the odds were low, like running into a group of Mets fans in a Yankees parade.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I watched The Raid 2 on a flight and I think I introduced the kid behind me to his very first ultraviolence film, going by the combination of horror and fascination on his face when I got up to go to the bathroom after the hammer girl train scene.

This discussion has been closed.