As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ARK: Survival Evolved] New Server at end of August

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    tapejara.jpg

Another flier, yay

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    GashikGashik Office Communist Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    So, to sum up the flyer roles:

Ptera = F-16
    Argent = C-130 or A-10, depending on how you stat it.
    Tapejara = attack helicopter

Quetz = Air pirate doom fortress

Gashik on
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Allrighty, so I've got a thatch hut with a bed, and some metal tools (Thanks @SutibunRi !) . I've got a bow and arrow, and I've been practicing on dodos a little bit. I know I need to gather metal, otherwise my tools will fall into disrepair, and I'm back to stone. If anyone has found a good metal spawn on the Southern Tropical Island, let me know. I'm thinking I should forage a ton of berries, so that I can make some narcotics as well. That's apparently mandatory for taming dinos, and won't spoil. Once I stockpile some of that, I'll pick my first dino to tame!

Anything else I should be focusing on?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I have some newbie questions about stuff in the OP:
    Server Settings:
    Taming - 4x

Decay Rates:
    Thatch Tier Decay - Demolish Timer at 20 days, auto-demolished at 60 days

Does this mean that taming takes 4x less TIME, or 4x less FOOD? From what I can tell in the wiki, a level 100 scorpion would take 90 spoiled meat and an hour and a half to tame. What does this mean with the multiplier we have?

And for the Thatch tier decay, what do those timers mean? After 20 days, someone can just break my stuff? And it only lasts 60 days?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    It means that if you don't log on for 20 days, people can break your stuff. If you don't log on for 60 days, it auto-breaks. That way people can't place down a thatch hut in a prime location then never log on again, leaving the spot unusable to others.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    f3rret wrote: »
    Allrighty, so I've got a thatch hut with a bed, and some metal tools (Thanks SutibunRi !) . I've got a bow and arrow, and I've been practicing on dodos a little bit. I know I need to gather metal, otherwise my tools will fall into disrepair, and I'm back to stone. If anyone has found a good metal spawn on the Southern Tropical Island, let me know. I'm thinking I should forage a ton of berries, so that I can make some narcotics as well. That's apparently mandatory for taming dinos, and won't spoil. Once I stockpile some of that, I'll pick my first dino to tame!

You can use plain narcoberries to tame stuff, it's just less efficient than turning them into narcotics. But I'd recommend taming some lower level dinos with berries asap, dinos are super useful even just for mobile storage. I still regret not getting started on taming earlier when I first began playing, I would have made much quicker progress with some dino buddies.

HyphyKezzy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Decomposey wrote: »
    It means that if you don't log on for 20 days, people can break your stuff. If you don't log on for 60 days, it auto-breaks. That way people can't place down a thatch hut in a prime location then never log on again, leaving the spot unusable to others.

I am so glad the auto-demolish wasn't on in the last map, or Blue Base would have Fallen into ruin after a lot less than the 9 months I was away.
    Unless it's based on last login by a tribe member?
    Server Settings:
    Taming - 4x

Decay Rates:

Does this mean that taming takes 4x less TIME, or 4x less FOOD? From what I can tell in the wiki, a level 100 scorpion would take 90 spoiled meat and an hour and a half to tame. What does this mean with the multiplier we have?

And for the Thatch tier decay, what do those timers mean? After 20 days, someone can just break my stuff? And it only lasts 60 days?

Find a taming calculator and put 4 into the taming rate multiplier, but leave the food multiplier at 1. that'll tell you how much food you need.

In the case of the 90 scorpion, it goes from 83 food and 1:22:59, to 21 food and 0:20:59

edit: one of the taming calculators: ark.crumplecorn.com/taming/

SutibunRi on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Server Settings:
    Taming - 4x

Decay Rates:

For taming, it is functionally the same thing. That level 100 scorpion takes 90 spoiled meat and an hour and a half because that is how long it takes for it to eat the amount of food needed to tame it. If each item of food is 4x more effective then you only need 23 spoiled meats, and if the time needed for it to lose enough hunger to eat a meat is the same regardless, then it only needs 23 minutes to eat those spoiled meats.

• Options
    azhaisazhais Registered User regular
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    Decomposey wrote: »

I am so glad the auto-demolish wasn't on in the last map, or Blue Base would have Fallen into ruin after a lot less than the 9 months I was away.
    Unless it's based on last login by a tribe member?

Its not even logins, it's based on the last time an owner loaded the area (anyone in the tribe counts). It means that even if you log in daily, if you (and your tribe) never visit some remote outpost you made it'll auto-destruct eventually. Someone needs to at least pretend to use the area. The old Bird Herd base got ransacked despite me and others logging in almost daily because we never went inland to the old swamp base so its decay timer triggered.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HyphyKezzy wrote: »
    Allrighty, so I've got a thatch hut with a bed, and some metal tools (Thanks SutibunRi !) . I've got a bow and arrow, and I've been practicing on dodos a little bit. I know I need to gather metal, otherwise my tools will fall into disrepair, and I'm back to stone. If anyone has found a good metal spawn on the Southern Tropical Island, let me know. I'm thinking I should forage a ton of berries, so that I can make some narcotics as well. That's apparently mandatory for taming dinos, and won't spoil. Once I stockpile some of that, I'll pick my first dino to tame!

You can use plain narcoberries to tame stuff, it's just less efficient than turning them into narcotics. But I'd recommend taming some lower level dinos with berries asap, dinos are super useful even just for mobile storage. I still regret not getting started on taming earlier when I first began playing, I would have made much quicker progress with some dino buddies.

Narcoberries decay, right? But the narcotics don't? My biggest issue is that I'm only on for an hour or two per session, so it would be impossible to gather enough narcoberries and food before starting taming, without having stuff spoil.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

Narcoberries decay, right? But the narcotics don't? My biggest issue is that I'm only on for an hour or two per session, so it would be impossible to gather enough narcoberries and food before starting taming, without having stuff spoil.

Correct, narcoberries themselves spoil but Narcotics don't.

Even though i said i probably wasn't going to build a base out in the 'edge' pretty much right after that i found a really nice place over-looking Green obelisk... so i set up my fences and started on the outline of my base in thatch, but had to leave because it was too cold and i didn't have any fur yet.

Also that new bird looks like it could be really useful/fun... its 'latch on' feature could be nice for taming, latch onto a cliff/tree then turn around and tranq the dino.

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Narcotic does not, correct. I was pretty much always making narcotic consistently every play session just to make sure I would have enough when I needed it. It's super easy to make as well, and once you get the first tame that lets you harvest berries faster it'll just ramp up from there.

Some recipes that are good to invest into, though I forget the levels required for them because it's been ages since I started from scratch, are feeding troughs and preserving bins. Perishables have a decay timer depending on where they are. In your inventory something might decay in one minute whereas on a dinosaur it would take five minutes, or whatever. Feeding troughs share the same timer as a dinosaur does, and a preserving bin requires sparkpowder but things will last even longer in there. Then later on you get fridges which run off of electricity and basically never need to worry about spoiling again.

Aistan on
  • Options
    I was going to try to find and tame a scorpion first, to assist with knocking out my second tame. That's unless someone has another recommendation?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I was going to try to find and tame a scorpion first, to assist with knocking out my second tame. That's unless someone has another recommendation?

Tame one of the Lystrosaurus that walk around near your base, just walk up to it with berries in your 0 quickbar slot, and press E, then follow it around feeding it more when it gets hungry. (They tame extremely quickly)
    Food lasts a lot longer on a dino than in your own inventory.
    The Yeti (Gigantopithecus) tame the same way, but they aggro if you approach them from the front, or stay close to them for too long.
    The Monkeys (Mesopithecus) as well, but they will run away from you if they get spooked.
    It is best to Crouch ( C ) or Crawl ( X ) up behind the latter two to feed them, and then back away quickly.

----

GlassMetal Behemoth Gates are pretty.
    1150 metal
    350 cementing paste
    350? Crystal
    Rather than the 1500 Metal and 350 Paste of the regular gate.
    As I have enough Crystal nodes directly above my base to collect about 400 Crystal every time they respawn, it seems like a good deal to me, plus you can see what's waiting to eat your face on the other side of the gate.

@Kalnaur you should check my little metal generator room, I put a glassmetal storage container in there, looks pretty nice.

Anyone who wants glassmetal things but doesn't want to learn the engrams is free to bring materials to me and I'll craft your stuff.

I might look for an empty area of my base to place one of every glassmetal object with signs with the name/material cost, since I'm not finding that information with a quick Google search, and there are multiple variations of the walls, doors, pillars, etc.

Edit: Scorpions will "$*(? you up, a couple stings from them is probably going to knock you out, and then it'll just murder you.
    Quickbar some stimberries, and eat a bunch if you get hit. (or does it have to be stimulants?)

SutibunRi on
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular

It is a pretty solid tame that I do recommend. You may just want to try taming a dilo first just to get the feel for it.

I am sort of getting bored with The Center. So much is accessible by water that I have already discovered half of the map after piddling around on my raft. The ruins, while interesting, don't offer much and their dominance may be why I haven't found any real plains area. The spawns are currently a downright mess.

If the first cave I tried exploring is indicative of the rest then no thanks. While being able to approach it by the water was cool, the cave itself was rather meh. Also, Centipedes have made going without a Dino almost impossible and that is what I loved about caves.

I'll keep trying but I'm probably just going to end up playing more Overwatch and Witcher 3. :confused:

• Options
    So, the only reason to knock out a dino when trying to tame it is so that it won't eat you or run away?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    So, the only reason to knock out a dino when trying to tame it is so that it won't eat you or run away?

Most dinos cannot be tamed unless they are knocked out.

A few you can do by manually feeding them, with varying levels of annoyance depending on how aggressive the critter is.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Also Re: The Decay timer.

We had a lot of stuff on the last map that just sat there forever with nobody ever using it, but taking up spots on the beach where new players could build. Lack of early building space was an issue.

I think I've got a fair amount set now. Being near a structure once every two months, (or longer, for stuff tougher than thatch), seems reasonable.

• Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Also Re: The Decay timer.

We had a lot of stuff on the last map that just sat there forever with nobody ever using it, but taking up spots on the beach where new players could build. Lack of early building space was an issue.

I think I've got a fair amount set now. Being near a structure once every two months, (or longer, for stuff tougher than thatch), seems reasonable.

I wasn't complaining about it, I was just curious what the parameters meant. That seems reasonable to me, although I'm not a long term player yet, by any stretch of the imagination.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    @Kalnaur I left a gift on your body, hopefully you'll be on in time to make use of it.
    Realized you probably wouldn't be, so I made the thing and put it in the building supplies chest next to your chest since yours was full.

Also i'll want a consultation on how to handle the docks, re: where behemoth gates should go if at all.

Anyone else seen my ptera Barry around? I thought I left him up at the main outpost. If someone used him to get around that's cool, he's super fast so he's good for that. Just would be nice if he was put back afterwards.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Anyone else seen my ptera Barry around? I thought I left him up at the main outpost. If someone used him to get around that's cool, he's super fast so he's good for that. Just would be nice if he was put back afterwards.

He's with the Speed Force now.

I need to make a bunch of Transponders.

• Options
    Gashik wrote: »
    So, to sum up the flyer roles:

Ptera = F-16
    Argent = C-130 or A-10, depending on how you stat it.
    Tapejara = attack helicopter

Quetz = Air pirate doom fortress

Pelagornis = The plane from TaleSpin

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Tapejara is gonna be awesome for taming. Lead a critter near a cliff or tree, latch on, start firing.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    Also great for field work away from bases in general - stick it to a tree, dismount, and do whatever ground-based work you were there to do without having to worry about your ride getting eaten while you're gone. When you get back, whistle it down.

Hopefully it'll be rideable from a relatively low level - the whole 'neat utility dino that you can't really get or use until after you've already got something much more generally useful' bit is getting old.

That's true of level requirements in general, though, I think - everything's already locked behind a much more intuitive and interesting level requirement in the form of engram points. Applying an additional much more artificial requirement on top seems redundant.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Woo, that carno I saw this morning before work is still hanging around, time to get a pile of meat and go tame it.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    If anyone has time, can you drop a stack of meat on my quetz? I was too busy to log in yesterday and now I'm getting paranoid that it's starving.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Did the server go down?

edit: back

Turambar on
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »
    Did the server go down?

edit: back

Probably just the daily reboot. If people are online at the time it waits until nobody is on.

• Options
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    I might look for an empty area of my base to place one of every glassmetal object with signs with the name/material cost, since I'm not finding that information with a quick Google search, and there are multiple variations of the walls, doors, pillars, etc.

If you do that be sure to place them in such a way that people can see the one-way glass options. I sat staring at wall 2 and wall 5 for a long time before I figured out what was different.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Okay, the obelisk issue is fixed. Now what I need is to find time to search for a place to set up. Which seems difficult, this map seems a lot more abrupt than the ARK, and since the primary reason I even play this game is the critters I kind of have a pile of them that need space.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    This map definitely has a shit-ton of verticality. It's also a lot colder everywhere it seems.

• Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    Okay, the obelisk issue is fixed. Now what I need is to find time to search for a place to set up. Which seems difficult, this map seems a lot more abrupt than the ARK, and since the primary reason I even play this game is the critters I kind of have a pile of them that need space.

There's a lot of big flat sandbar areas near the volcano island

steam_sig.png
  • Options

You've got a lot of options.

The southern central island is the one with the ruins, thats where a lot of us have set up. Because ruins are neat. But the two islands north of that have similar terrain without ruins, lots of plateaus and cliffs for secure building.

-The island north of Blue ob is neat.
    -Lava island is dangerous but cool
    -The swamp circle is odd, but has natural channels for rafting or riding through, making it way less annoying than the old swamp
    -There is lots of good flat spots on the ice mountains, although they are covered in carnivores
    -Several underwater bubbles
    -The 'Taiga' area west of green ob is very open with lots of space
    -Wherever the redwoods end up
    -The underworld

• Options
    When I was flying around the ice spots looking for penguins to club mostly all I saw was wolves everywhere killing everything. Ice place might be even more of a nightmare to live in than it was in the default map.

• Options
    I think the only penguins are on the iceberg by green ob. There's a pretty scenic flat area just above it, so you could look down upon the penguins from your skycastle

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    How safe is rafting ?

I want to go sailing, but I'm worried about being eaten by sea monsters.

I think I'll build my first raft tomorrow, as my stone house just needs 1 more wall and a roof to hit the 'good enough for now' point.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    How safe is rafting ?

I want to go sailing, but I'm worried about being eaten by sea monsters.

I think I'll build my first raft tomorrow, as my stone house just needs 1 more wall and a roof to hit the 'good enough for now' point.

I want to say entirely, but I don't know much about things that have been added recently. Previously sharks wouldn't even agro on you as long as you were on the raft, and plessies were too deep to even if they would.

If you have a dino on board they may go for it, and if you attack them then they will definitely chomp it. Just for casual sailing though I think it's fine.

E: Oh, sarcos. Those will absolutely attack you if you're on a raft.

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I need to recruit a team of teenagers with attitude to
    1. Ride Badass Dinosaurs into the cave.
    2. Murder snakes and centipedes and scorpions.
    3. Secure the area around the drop from my base.
    4. Grapple the ceiling above the hole and rappel/abseil all the way down in a straight line to get the exact footprint of where I can put my elevator without it getting stuck on walls, to know if I can fit a Medium Platform or just a Small Platform.

I dare not risk trying this solo.

Although, I guess bug repellent would make it pretty safe to do solo? It hardly seems like as much fun.

edit: I mentioned this in the last thread, but apparently didn't actually post it.
    m3lvvk4nu7v8.jpg

SutibunRi on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

You've got a lot of options.

The southern central island is the one with the ruins, thats where a lot of us have set up. Because ruins are neat. But the two islands north of that have similar terrain without ruins, lots of plateaus and cliffs for secure building.
    I'll check it out.
    -The island north of Blue ob is neat.
    That did look like a nice place. Hard to gauge the terrain with all the trees, but it looked to have the kind of weird shapes that might make getting dinos in and out a pain, though. On the other hand, I guess it's as good an excuse as any for learning to build with ramps with pillars eventually.
    -Lava island is dangerous but cool
    Noooooope. I like my bases to be places in areas where things will only mildly try to murder me and all my guys, thanks. When I went over lava island and saw three rexes, six scorpions, and twelve carnos on the same screen I kinda wrote the place off.
    -The swamp circle is odd, but has natural channels for rafting or riding through, making it way less annoying than the old swamp
    I actually scouted a couple points in that area, yes. Flat enough to make fence building not horrendously frustrating, and a nearby swamp has been so very useful for me as a quick source of meat for those days where I just didn't have time to play very long but my guys needed to be fed.
    -There is lots of good flat spots on the ice mountains, although they are covered in carnivores
    -Several underwater bubbles
    -The 'Taiga' area west of green ob is very open with lots of space
    Haven't actually scouted all the way to the snow yet. Will need to bring Maximillian on the server for that. A ptera with 220% movement speed makes moving around rather less of a hassle.
    -The underworld
    ...the what now?

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    There are also some interesting beachy areas with cool rocks a bit NE of the swamp.

And the floating island, of course.

As for ramps, you'll find the bridges from the bridge mod very useful in that regard.

Also, The Underworld:

9kCk87u.jpg?1