As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ARK: Survival Evolved] New Server at end of August

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Did some exploring across the river from my shack.

1) Beaver dams nearby, yay delicious paste.
    2) Beavers don't like you looting their dams.
    3) Beavers are mean sons of bitches.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Well.

My blueprints are gone. And if I try to put some of the items I had stored in singleplayer into the obelisk, adding the second item deletes the first. At least discovering THIS bug only cost me a stack of gasoline.

I am not happy at ARK right now.

Anyone know how to at least unbreak the transfer? Preferably without borking the zillion dinos I also have in there?

So . . .

Usually, this bug means something got broken in your item storing stuff, which is clocked by your local profile. The issue is, that's where all your dino information is as well, so in order to fix it, you have to pull 100% everything, including any players you have and want to keep, out of the ob, then delete the local profile, and let the game make a new one.

Which means a mass exodus and reupload of dinos. I suggest red or green on The Island single player. As long as it's just on an instance of single or multiplayer, it won't disappear.

There are more in depth explanations of exactly which files to wipe out, and I'd suggest looking those up before wiping anything, because wiping out your single player island files would be much sadness.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    AFAIK, there isn't a way without deleting your survivor profile.

I would suggest taking all your dinos out in singleplayer, wiping the profile, then re-uploading them.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Updates on Center map issues, from the Steam Forums:
    If you try to place a Foundation on a seemingly flat area and it says "Can't Place Structures Here" . . . DANGER!

This is where your dinos will despawn. . . the game is reading the area as not part of the world, or outside of the "barrier" so your dinos despawns when you go out of render distance.

The devs are aware and will hopefully fix things soon.

• Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Updates on Center map issues, from the Steam Forums:
    If you try to place a Foundation on a seemingly flat area and it says "Can't Place Structures Here" . . . DANGER!

This is where your dinos will despawn. . . the game is reading the area as not part of the world, or outside of the "barrier" so your dinos despawns when you go out of render distance.

The devs are aware and will hopefully fix things soon.

Good to know. I'm planning on living out of the ob more or less, until I can get walls set up at 7162, so I'll try to make a mental note.
    Rayzerbeam wrote: »
    FYI Diplodocus is Aggressive, they will attack you and your dinos. One was trying to kill a bear in beaver in Blue Orb pen. My Rex ate it, and OH MY there are a lot of predators on South Tropical WOWZA!

They aren't quite aggressive, as much as "playful". Annoyingly, they are playful by knocking things about; it does no damage, but it can bounce you into packs of wild whatevers, or launch you far enough to drop damage yourself.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Well, crapbaskets.

I'll take a few days to come back to our server, then. I'll have to make myself a bigass pen around an obelisk in singleplayer in order to deploy all the dinos and not get any of them lost, deploy them, investigate, then . Bloody hell, this whole thing is going to be such a pain in the ass.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Well.

My blueprints are gone. And if I try to put some of the items I had stored in singleplayer into the obelisk, adding the second item deletes the first. At least discovering THIS bug only cost me a stack of gasoline.

I am not happy at ARK right now.

Anyone know how to at least unbreak the transfer? Preferably without borking the zillion dinos I also have in there?

The file you want to delete is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ARK\ShooterGame\Saved\LocalProfiles (Or D, or E, or whatever drive you installed steam to)
    I had two files in that directory, and deleting the top one worked for me.

As everyone has said, pull all of your dinosaurs out in single player first.

It won't restore your items, but it will let you upload and download new items.

I just lost most of my saddles, generic BPs and a bunch of materials (polymer, electronics, pelts, crystals, etc) to this bug friday night. :(
    And then when I reuploaded the dinos, I also uploaded the ones who were carrying a lot of my previously transferred items, and I only just caught the loot bags before they despawned (open bag, loot all, drop all, next bag, loot all, drop all, etc, to reset the timers from less than 40 seconds up to enough time to call over a rex and load it up with all the loot. I am so glad hitting Esc in single player pauses the game, I needed a minute to compose myself and make that plan.)

• Options
    PimsyPimsy Registered User regular
    Is there a quick newbie guide to this game? I've tried a couple of open world games and they always seem to end the same way: me, naked, rage-punching whatever tree/creature/human structure/human I spawn close to until said thing kills me. The barrier to entry seems quite high, and I could use something to help me not lose myself in a feat of blind punch-making until I die, but I also hate reading novellas of text and long tutorials. Is it possible this is a game I could get into?

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Short version:

Keep doing stuff like harvesting and building until you can learn the basic stone tools, thatch buildings, and cloth armor. Then bow/arrows and narcotics.

Don't be afraid to punch a dodo or dilo unconcious and tame them for early assistance.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    azhaisazhais Registered User regular
    top tip: don't get eaten by t-rexes

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Pretty sure I've officially hit the "well now what" phase of sandbox games where my immediate survival concerns are handled, and it's up to me to come up with things to do. Wouldn't be so bad if dino taming wasn't such a complete slog. Maybe I'll set up some berry plots for supplies so I can snag one of the local trikes, and work my way up from there.

In other news, I watched a non-alpha raptor solo a bronto, which was interesting. Took a while.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Was just reading up on the Phase 2 of Breeding they just implemented.
    The mechanic as far as i understand it is like this: after it is born the person who claims it will have the chance to imprint it. every 3 to 4 hours your baby will ask one of 3 things (kibble, cuddle or walk) but only from the person who claimed him.

if you give it to him he will earn a % inprint.. if you do this every single time (every 4 hours) until he gets 100% then he will gain a 20% bonus on his stats when you and only you mount it

whenever you miss a request the % will whither down and you wont get anything. ( he will have grown up normally as before so no penalty)

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    One, that's pretty cool and is an actually pretty fun mechanic. Of course they do better when out running around with their mom.

Two though, that's a pretty big time sink, in a game already full of huge time sinks. Something that powerful needs to be somewhat hard to get but I kinda wish they'd gone to a well other than the one labeled "make them do the thing over the course of actual real days". That well is getting pretty low.

• Options
    Got my farm started. Handful of dodos on a ramp, some compost bins, and some small plots. Need to see about figuring out where to get crystals on this map so I can greenhouse up, and maybe get some dung beetles as well for more efficient fertilizer production.
    s0CIakk.jpg

• Options
    So, as a note, I can invite folks to Warboyz on this server as well. If you are on and want to be part of the fun festivities, just let me know.

• Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Server just die for anyone else? Timed out and now can't connect

Edit: And it's back

Cyrenic on
  • Options
    Cyrenic wrote: »
    Server just die for anyone else? Timed out and now can't connect

Edit: And it's back

That was my fault. Apparently using the destroywilddinos command can do that.

• Options
    Next time the server reboots, Gigas won't spawn anymore. We've seen several of them spawn in places that really they just shouldn't be. I'd like to hear from the devs about all the spawn weirdness before I turn them back on.

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    From the Ark wiki's Center article: "On top of the higer difficulty level, Giganotosaurus has an extremely rare chance to spawn anywhere on the map (excluding caves, of course), so even survivors on tropical islands must never let their guard down."

So they can spawn anywhere. It's just supposed to be rare.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    From the Ark wiki's Center article: "On top of the higer difficulty level, Giganotosaurus has an extremely rare chance to spawn anywhere on the map (excluding caves, of course), so even survivors on tropical islands must never let their guard down."

So they can spawn anywhere. It's just supposed to be rare.

It didn't seem that rare.

And on top of the beach giga we saw, there was one literally on top of one of those stone pillars, where no defenses could have prevented it.

• Options
    Oh boy, checking in on my stuff before work, apparently something big rolled through during the night, because my dodos are gone, one of my compost bins is gone, and every outer surface of my house has roughly the same amount of damage, including the roof.

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    @MuddBudd what was the trick you used to get the industrial forge to be accessible via the roof? Leave one spot open without a ceiling tile? It's not working for me. Actually even if I remove all the tile surrounding it, I still can't open it from the top.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Pimsy wrote: »
    Is there a quick newbie guide to this game? I've tried a couple of open world games and they always seem to end the same way: me, naked, rage-punching whatever tree/creature/human structure/human I spawn close to until said thing kills me. The barrier to entry seems quite high, and I could use something to help me not lose myself in a feat of blind punch-making until I die, but I also hate reading novellas of text and long tutorials. Is it possible this is a game I could get into?

It's not the quickest guide but the newbie guide from the old thread does a pretty good job of getting caught up on the basics:
    Karoz wrote: »
    Tips for new Survivors
    The Basics
    -Remember: you're going to die, a lot.
    -In ARK, when you die you lose any items you are carrying. You can recover them if you can reach your corpse before it despawns in 15 minutes. If your body was eaten by a carnivore, a backpack will be left behind with the same timer. Levels gained and engrams learned are never lost on death.
    -Stats allow you to customize your survivor any way you like to play but the top recommend ones are health, stamina, weight and melee damage. Later on you'll want fortitude to better survive the more extreme locations like mountains and the snow biome. Feel free to experiment because there is a high level cooking recipe to allow you to reset all your stats and engrams.
    -What are engrams? They are the various recipes you unlock with your engram points you earn every level. To start you'll want:
    -Stone Axe
    -Camp Fire
    -Spear
    -Cloth Armor
    -Water Skin
    -Slingshot
    -Bow
    -Arrow
    -Thatch foundations/walls/roofs/etc.
    -Sleeping bag and then eventually the bed. (These act as spawn points instead of having to spawn in a randomly selected area after a death. The former is single use while the latter has a 5 minute cooldown)
    -Narcotic
    -Narcotic Arrows

Quite a few people want to specialize in something to help out the server. Please feel free to pick what ever YOU enjoy doing the most. We have blueprints that allow us to make dang near everything thing and we have enough people that we can cover the gaps so feel free to do what you enjoy the most!
    General info:
    • Press E to pick up stones from beaches, or berries and fiber from plants.
    • Your basic harvesting tools are your bare hands. Punching trees hurts, so craft tools as soon as possible.
    • Hatchets harvest hide, stones, and wood; Picks harvest meat, flint, and thatch.
    • Try to keep your meat in stacks and not separated so you get less spoiled meat. The spoiler timer will only affect 1 in a stack and then reset. For even less spoilage, place items in a dino's inventory (assuming they won't eat it), or better yet a preserving bin or refrigerator.
    • If trying to get spoiled meat for crafting narcotics split meat into single stacks (ctrl + click + drag) so they spoil much faster.
    • Raw meat stacks to 20 but cooked meat stacks to 30! Spoiled meat stacks to 100 (Bleh!)! Maximize your fridge space!
    • Pressing Q while the inventory is open will hide/show the item name and description overlay on items.
    • Holding the H key (default) will display advanced information on the HUD (such as what certain status effects mean)
    • Hover your mouse over an item and press O to drop and item. Press T to transfer it to another inventory you currently have open
    • It is a great idea to build a large storage chest and dump everything into when you log out for the night/go on vacation, so if you die you wont actually lose your stuff.
    • You can quickly repair an item by hitting its assigned quickslot button (assuming you have the required materials).
    • Greyed out items on the quickslot bar can be crafted by merely hitting its button (assuming you have the required materials) while holding that button will display what you're missing.
    • You can also quickly create an additional item if you hold alt while hitting its assigned quickslot button.
    • When building a shelter, you can become encumbered very quickly with wood. Instead of running to your shelter and sorting everything out, make whatever components you can in the field as it severely lessens your weight, allowing you to stay out collecting for longer. A stack of wood weighs in at 50 however wood walls weigh 4 each.
    • There are three (3) Obelisks on the island: Blue in the northwest, Red in the southwest, and Green in the southeast. Use them to upload dinos you want to save for later, store inventory items you can access from any Obelisk or even survivor data. If you start in singleplayer you can use this way to import your survivor to our server and bring any legitimately tamed dinos over. Also the Obelisks make great landmarks to get your orientation before you can make a compass or GPS.
    • The other pillars of light are supply drops but you need to be the right level to open them: White-Lvl3, Green-Lvl15, Blue-Lvl25, Purple-Lvl35, Gold-Lvl45, Red-Lvl60. White and Green tend to have general supplies while Blue and higher have blueprints to fill in your engram gaps.
    Taming Basics
    There are two taming methods: violent and non-violent. The kind used depends on the dino but most of them are violent.

Violent taming
    Great basic video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYtDbu8wCbI

The steps:
    Knock the dino unconscious.
    -This requires you to raise a dino's torpor to the point it falls down, after which its name tag will show it is unconscious and you can access its inventory.
    -There are a variety of ways to raise torpor: by punching the animal in the head, using a club, aiming for the head with a slingshot, or shooting the animal with Tranquilizer Arrows (preferred) or Tranquilizer Darts (more expensive but best). Lastly, Scorpions, Frogs, and Spiders melee attacks raise torpor over time.
    -Torpor gain is based on the method used and damage done. Low damage methods (fists, club, slingshot) encourage aiming for the head for the higher torpor gain. Higher damage methods from using Bow and Crossbows with Tranq Arrows (drag the arrows on to the weapon you wish to use to switch ammo) or a Longneck Rifle with Tranq Darts should perform headshots sparingly or not at all to avoid killing the dino. Tranq arrows take 5 seconds to fully dispense their torpor gain so counting out that time before hitting it with another arrow is best to not lower its health too low.

Feed the unconscious dino till it loves you.
    -Open the dino's inventory and feed it an appropriate food item by dragging food into its inventory.
    -The food needed to tame it will depend on the dinosaur. Carnivores = Meat; Herbivores = Berries
    -Keep plenty of food in the animal's inventory while the taming bar fills up (IMPORTANT: If they ever lack food in their inventory before the taming is complete the taming bar will swiftly start to decrease. Always keep some sort of food on it till it is complete.
    -They eat food voluntarily as long as it's in their inventory. Don't worry about using an excess of food, as once the animal is tamed you can access the food in its inventory.
    -Every time the animal raises its head to eat, the Taming bar increases. They feed every time their hunger falls 30 points (for herbivores) and 50 points (for carnivores) below their max. This also depends on the food they are eating.
    -Don't force feed them anything (it won't speed up their timing) except Narcoberries / Narcotics to keep them unconscious. Select the Narcoberries /Narcotics in the dino's inventory and then press Remote Use Item located under their inventory grid to do this.
    -The Unconscious bar is tied to the animal's torpor, and slowly falls as the torpor decreases. It will increase when the animal is fed Narcotics or Narcoberries.

Non-violent taming
    The only dinos that currently use this are: Icthyosaurus (dolphin), Ape, Monkey, Spider and Bat
    Feed the concious dino till it love you
    -Equip the proper food to feed the dino in your 0 (zero) slot and approach it. Press E to feed it. For Spider and Bat tames you need to have the Bug Repellent item on.
    -Wait till it is hungry again and feed it. For Icthys this is easy since they are a curious dino and very friendly. For monkeys and apes, approaching too close or staying near for too long has a chance of alarming them. This causes the monkeys to flee and apes to attack you. Don't approach often and when you do approach from behind the dino, this seems to have a smaller chance of alarming it.
    -Repeat until the taming bar is filled.

• Options
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    @MuddBudd what was the trick you used to get the industrial forge to be accessible via the roof? Leave one spot open without a ceiling tile? It's not working for me. Actually even if I remove all the tile surrounding it, I still can't open it from the top.

Leaving a space open yes. You need to have line of sight to the bottom of the forge. As in, you need to be able to look down the hole and see it before you can open it.

• Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Oh boy, checking in on my stuff before work, apparently something big rolled through during the night, because my dodos are gone, one of my compost bins is gone, and every outer surface of my house has roughly the same amount of damage, including the roof.

Sounds like a bronto swipe.

• Options
    BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    Went to tame a Doedicurus last night (need rock). Put 100 Narc arrows in its head with a crossbow, and it never went into tame. Was only a lvl 30. Wonder if it was a Narc arrow issue as they all came from the old server, or is it a setting on the new server?

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • Options
    BitTWist wrote: »
    Went to tame a Doedicurus last night (need rock). Put 100 Narc arrows in its head with a crossbow, and it never went into tame. Was only a lvl 30. Wonder if it was a Narc arrow issue as they all came from the old server, or is it a setting on the new server?

So Doeds are tricky.

When they feel in danger, they will curl into a ball. While in this state, tranq arrows/darts have no effect.

However, there is a display issue sometimes where they will look like they come out of the ball, but HAVE NOT. This is of course, very frustrating.

Best bet is to only shoot them in the head while they are actively moving. If they are just standing there? Don't bother, probably still in defensive mode.

• Options
    BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    BitTWist wrote: »

So Doeds are tricky.

When they feel in danger, they will curl into a ball. While in this state, tranq arrows/darts have no effect.

However, there is a display issue sometimes where they will look like they come out of the ball, but HAVE NOT. This is of course, very frustrating.

Best bet is to only shoot them in the head while they are actively moving. If they are just standing there? Don't bother, probably still in defensive mode.

I will give that a shot tonight. Thanks for the info.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    Next time the server reboots, Gigas won't spawn anymore. We've seen several of them spawn in places that really they just shouldn't be. I'd like to hear from the devs about all the spawn weirdness before I turn them back on.

Does this setting affect already tamed Gigas in any way? I'm guessing it doesn't

• Options

Does this setting affect already tamed Gigas in any way? I'm guessing it doesn't

It shouldn't.

Honestly Giga in general are a huge problem. There's very few ways for people to deal with them, let alone if they spawn above your base.

SgteNoz.jpg?1

I'd like to know they have foundation spawn blocking working correctly at the very least, before I turn it back on. Then we can at least be sure they won't spawn INSIDE someones base.

• Options

It shouldn't.

Honestly Giga in general are a huge problem. There's very few ways for people to deal with them, let alone if they spawn above your base.

SgteNoz.jpg?1

I'd like to know they have foundation spawn blocking working correctly at the very least, before I turn it back on. Then we can at least be sure they won't spawn INSIDE someones base.

Yeah, as is I'm wondering what our blocking radius is set to, because official (and thus I'd guess default) had been changed to .5 blocking radius for resources at least back in patch 241.5. Basically, I'm wondering if that includes blocking spawns.

• Options
    Farm infrastructure has been rebuilt, luckily I had enough fertilizer to not have any downtime on my plots. Working on taming some defensive critters, though if the initial incident was from bronto aggro passing through I don't know how much good they'll do.

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

It shouldn't.

SgteNoz.jpg?1

Yeah, as is I'm wondering what our blocking radius is set to, because official (and thus I'd guess default) had been changed to .5 blocking radius for resources at least back in patch 241.5. Basically, I'm wondering if that includes blocking spawns.

I haven't changed it any so whatever the default is, that's what we have.

But I've seen repeated posts from players about dinos spawning inside their walls.

Once they sort that out, you could at least toss a foundation up on the pillars around your home to stop this kind of thing.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    @Kalnaur Made my way to the ruins you've set up in. You did a good job sealing all the entrances, I ended up having to parachute down into it from the cliffs up top.

This was just an initial exploratory mission, didn't have time today to do much else than get there, but I went off into a corner to lie down until I can join properly. Retrieving dinosaurs will be the next goal.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    @Kalnaur Made my way to the ruins you've set up in. You did a good job sealing all the entrances, I ended up having to parachute down into it from the cliffs up top.

This was just an initial exploratory mission, didn't have time today to do much else than get there, but I went off into a corner to lie down until I can join properly. Retrieving dinosaurs will be the next goal.

Let me know when you're on again and I'll invite you to the tribe so you don't have to waste time making parachutes. :wink:

• Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I have THE BEST parachute jumping location, it leads to a world of wonder and mystery.
    Just let me know if you want me to show you the way.

Edit: :hydra:

SutibunRi on
  • Options
    So what were the taming multipliers at? Trying to figure out how close I'm cutting it, or if I should abort now because I won't make it.

• Options
    So what were the taming multipliers at? Trying to figure out how close I'm cutting it, or if I should abort now because I won't make it.

From the OP:
    Server Settings:
    Taming - 4x
    Hatching - 4x
    Baby Maturation - 4x
    Mating Interval - 4x
    Max Level Wild Dino - 120
    XP - 3x

• Options

From the OP:
    Server Settings:
    Taming - 4x
    Hatching - 4x
    Baby Maturation - 4x
    Mating Interval - 4x
    XP - 3x

Hmm, that's half of the information the taming calculator wants, what about the food rate multiplier?

• Options
    edited June 2016

From the OP:
    Server Settings:
    Taming - 4x
    Hatching - 4x
    Baby Maturation - 4x
    Mating Interval - 4x
    XP - 3x

Hmm, that's half of the information the taming calculator wants, what about the food rate multiplier?

Should just be 1. If it's not different there, it's default.

Kalnaur on