As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ARK: Survival Evolved] New Server at end of August

• Options
    RayzerbeamRayzerbeam Registered User regular
    Is the new server up? Are we still needing to copy files over to get things out of obs? If so, how? This is me not having a clue what I am doing!

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    With Pierce's help, I've got a stone wall up around blue ob, so people can transfer their dinos out in relative safety.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Rayzerbeam wrote: »
    Is the new server up? Are we still needing to copy files over to get things out of obs? If so, how? This is me not having a clue what I am doing!

Server - Yes, see the OP.

Files - No, you should be able to access it from The Center now.

Come play!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm fine with wherever you all want to set up. If it's not by the ocean I'll just make my own dock/outpost there later on.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I'm fine with wherever you all want to set up. If it's not by the ocean I'll just make my own dock/outpost there later on.

I actually have two places for you to check out and give me feedback: 80-70 (ruins and an arch near the ocean, across from the blue ob) and 71-62 (a series of ruins linked by various bridges and stairs).

The first would need a few walls, but has natural defenses against most things big and toothy, but it's not a very good place for an egg farm, and would almost certainly require a fair amount of building into the water. The second place is overall larger, but has several twisty paths that could make getting in and out with dinos difficult.

Or you can hit me up with some other co-ords you find. I'm kind of favoring the east thus far just because that's really all I've seen. I'll be trying to check out more places as the week goes on.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I actually have two places for you to check out and give me feedback: 80-70 (ruins and an arch near the ocean, across from the blue ob) and 71-62 (a series of ruins linked by various bridges and stairs).

The first would need a few walls, but has natural defenses against most things big and toothy, but it's not a very good place for an egg farm, and would almost certainly require a fair amount of building into the water. The second place is overall larger, but has several twisty paths that could make getting in and out with dinos difficult.

Or you can hit me up with some other co-ords you find. I'm kind of favoring the east thus far just because that's really all I've seen. I'll be trying to check out more places as the week goes on.

I'm not going to be home and able to pop in until wednesday, so if you want to get started i'm fine with that. No need to wait for me. I don't know the map at all anyway so i'll probably want to wander some on my own for a little while exploring even after that.

• Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So, my plan to set up an elevator into the middle of one of the caves.. will not work because you can't place structures there!
    Whoops.

• Options

I'm not going to be home and able to pop in until wednesday, so if you want to get started i'm fine with that. No need to wait for me. I don't know the map at all anyway so i'll probably want to wander some on my own for a little while exploring even after that.

I'll see what is up, then. I, too, am intent on a bit more wandering (probably in single player where I won't have any fear of danger) to make sure I like the locations I've found.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    So, my plan to set up an elevator into the middle of one of the caves.. will not work because you can't place structures there!
    Whoops.

There's a server setting for that. At least I'm pretty sure there is.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    Whoops.

There's a server setting for that. At least I'm pretty sure there is.

Yeah I thought I had that on. I'll fix that later.

• Options

Both of those places are interesting.

Personally I kind of like the 71-62 because of the bit of ruin with the pool of water inside.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Both of those places are interesting.

Personally I kind of like the 71-62 because of the bit of ruin with the pool of water inside.

Yeah, there's a lot of structure and shelter already there to exploit. It would only need minimal walls and some safe buildings to sleep in in order to make it a solid base. It's what I'm favoring, honestly.

Edit: and it's close to Suti's chosen place at 76-65. In fact, from 71-62 to 80-70 might become a few little Warboys encampments; 80-70 is a really solid location for a bay, and I'd really enjoy building a seaside tavern there, but I do think 71-62 is overall a better place for a tribal base.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    That's the catch, we're gonna need docks anyway. All the best loot is underwater.

• Options
    The latest digest says we're eventually getting some sort of 'attached platform' thing for building on Redwoods and the like.

• Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    So I'm glad I managed to grab my stuff out of the old server, even if a system refresh killed all the stored dinos I had.

Anyways, looking forward to coming back into this, and sign me up for any kind of mega-tribe that comes about. Solo play is what really killed to game for me.

EDIT: One question, since it's been so long, when I logged in last, there was a green/red barrier around the coast that said Safe Zone/Do Not Build. When was that added and what does it do?

Hellbore on
  • Options
    GashikGashik Office Communist Registered User regular
    Glad I uploaded myself Saturday, since the server already seems to be gone! Might not be able to pop on to the new server for a few days, but I'll at least try to get myself downloaded and a basic shelter built in the neighborhood of the group.

• Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    The latest digest says we're eventually getting some sort of 'attached platform' thing for building on Redwoods and the like.

That sounds awesome.

Saw a lvl 98 bear right near blue ob, so went about taming it... only had prime but still wasn't too bad, ended up at 138 or so? tried to bring over a brew from single-player to test, insta-spoiled...

Also, dino's seem to be spawning higher than 120... there is a lvl 123 Bronto right outside the Blue ob mini base.

Also hilariously there is a Diplo in blue ob mini base headbutting an argent... killing it now before it punts someone outside.

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I believe Muddbudd mentioned that the Center has a difficulty setting one higher than the regular map.

• Options
    Yeah it goes up to 150, supposedly.

I set it to .8 for now which SHOULD limit us to dinos around lvl 120 or so. I guess they can be a bit higher as well. I may bump it up to the cap after people get settled in.

• Options
    Building in caves should work now, let me know if it doesn't and I'll try again.

• Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular

I set it to .8 for now which SHOULD limit us to dinos around lvl 120 or so. I guess they can be a bit higher as well. I may bump it up to the cap after people get settled in.

Did you also reset the health? i remember saying you where going to use defaults... my rex just somehow downgraded...

Went from 25k hp %1.1k melee damage down to 8k/%435... just strange it didn't instantly change when i first downloaded her...

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I dunno whether I should poke in and start scouting for a place to set up in the future already or wait a bit until my hours are less weird.

I'm also kind of worried about all the shit I stored in the obelisk, with all this talk of storage bugs.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Looks like it's a good thing I uploaded myself the other day, as I'm busy on Sundays and wouldn't be able to make the hypothetical 'party.' Still busy though, so no idea of I'll be able to get on any time soon.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Hah, got hit by the bug, stored stuff isn't showing up on the Centre, most is missing in a single player map and items disappear when added. Dinos are fine, but all my armour and rare stuff I saved is gone for now.

EDIT: Also saddles :(

Hellbore on
  • Options
    Oh balls. I spawned wrong. I chose jungle south instead of tropical south because I misrememebered, and now I have no idea where the obelisks even are. Still, made myself a quick thatch refuge, a few spears, and a compass, so the quest to get someplace will start sometime this evening.

• Options
    Hoping to get back on and do some scouting today! Wanting to find a place by the ocean with a river like my old place. Excited! I too spawned in the wrong place but after two deaths finally made my way to blue orb!

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Got a temporary home started near blue ob, it is kinda sad that it is safer swimming through open waters than trying to cross a river, because rivers are full of piranha.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    Heroth wrote: »

Did you also reset the health? i remember saying you where going to use defaults... my rex just somehow downgraded...

Went from 25k hp %1.1k melee damage down to 8k/%435... just strange it didn't instantly change when i first downloaded her...

I think it's a display issue and only happens once after a restart. I'm keeping an eye on it in case it's like the old stat bug.

Small Patch, server is updated.
    Current Version: v242.6
    * Made Swamp Fever particle effect not visible from player's own perspective.
    These require server-side update:
    * Fixed some Raft exploits (C4-Poker and Breach-Rafts)
    * Fixed Naming of Rafts and some other Raft networking stuff
    * Reduced the scaling by 50% of Dino Adult Food Consumption rate when unstasising. This is to help compensate for the bug fix in v242.0 which now correctly utilizes the Adult Food Consumption Rate when unstasising a Dinosaur (hence the higher rate of consumption on Giganotosaurus, which were one of the few Dinosaurs to use that multiplier).
    * Allowed Vaults to be built on Rafts, specifically.
    * Fixed Raft naming & some other potential Raft networking issues.
    * Made Fortitude slightly more effective for avoiding Disease (90 Fortitude == 80% reduction in Disease chance, rather than 110 Fortitude)

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm going to be far away from everyone again. I'm on the south beach near skull island. Where is everyone else setting up? On that same island at least?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    I feel like I'm going to be far away from everyone again. I'm on the south beach near skull island. Where is everyone else setting up? On that same island at least?

The spots we're looking at are a bit north or east of there, so not far.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Pierce, if it helps, I think I've chosen 71-62 for a main base location, and Suti has picked out 76-65ish. There's also a place at 80-70 that's a perfect dock space that either I or I'm sure someone else can build on, so it looks like we'll be close this time, all around the eastern portion of Jungle South.

I'll be on either later today or tomorrow to start setting up walls, and then I can start on actual structures once I know nothing is going to come wandering up to say hi to my innards.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    With the spawning of Rex's on the South Tropical Island (Blue Obelisk), I may have to reconsider going solo. Just not equipped to handle them. I do appreciate Mudd and the other person who took care of the 2 that appeared before I could get my walls up. Will have to speed up my conversion to stone sooner than planned.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I killed a couple this morning as well. This island really shouldn't have Rexes IMHO. Hoping the spawns get tweaked a bit.

And it seems like foundations aren't necessarily preventing spawns either.

-edit-

I suspect the safest places right now are the smaller 'sandbar' islands around the larger landmasses. But I know that delta of them to the north has spino spawns.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    Yeah it's definitely not a newbie friendly map. My first thought when I spawned was "Raptors! Raptors everywhere!"

Also, I was thinking about building an elevator on skull island, since the nodes are split between the top and bottom.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    The area where I spawned was fairly safe as long as you were careful where you walked. There were a bunch of giant monkeys around, but those don't aggro. Dilos I could deal with, since among the first things I did after making mysellf a pick and a hatchet was getting myself a handful of spears.

Don't even think of trying to get into the water though. Piranha, piranha everywhere.

Drascin on
  • Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I dropped down a Feed Trough by the Blue Obelisk and tossed in some meat and berries, if anyone wants to top it off to keep all the nearby dinos fed, that'd be super. (Especially with a Quetz nearby, probably devouring all the meat.)

I have installed a behemoth gate, and a couple standing torches in the ruins I plan to build in.
    Transporting my materials over will be difficult without a Quetz saddle. Stupid corrupting save files..
    It's below the tallest peak of the Southern Jungle Island
    I'm going to put some lights or something up there eventually, and stock a chest with parachutes for the adventurous.
    I need to set up Giga defenses that won't also kill the beavers building all the awesome dams right outside my base.
    BitTWist wrote: »
    With the spawning of Rex's on the South Tropical Island (Blue Obelisk), I may have to reconsider going solo. Just not equipped to handle them. I do appreciate Mudd and the other person who took care of the 2 that appeared before I could get my walls up. Will have to speed up my conversion to stone sooner than planned.
    I took care of two of 'em last night, seems Rex's are unwilling to engage in combat with Dire Wolves.. they just keep running away. All the Herbivores were happy to fight back though, it's weird.

• Options
    Got my starter shack completed enough to start exploring a bit, discovered that there are metal rocks above my house! So I made a ladder so I don't have to slog as far to reach them.
    83bja21.jpg
    H1FLWAj.jpg

• Options
    Yeah, so, hilarious thing? All the stuff that was in my obelisk, which is all that I took on my last caravan, is gone. This includes most of my rare materials. All my electronics, pearls, rare flowers, mushrooms, my own personal equipment including several purple pieces... everything gone. Also armor, GPS, drinking bottle, purple gathering tools...

As well as all the construction materials I left there to make it easier to restart. All that time I spent accumulating stone walls in order to make the transfer more painless? Yeah, that was a waste.

At least my eggs, I moved to singleplayer beforehand, as well as the saddles for all the things I stored earlier and a cache of gasoline and such.

I'm feeling kind of miffed at the moment, I must say.

...holy shit wait. The blueprints. Holy fucking hell I think the blueprints were still in there. Oh my fucking overgod. I have to go check in singleplayer for a moment.

• Options
    FYI Diplodocus is Aggressive, they will attack you and your dinos. One was trying to kill a bear in beaver in Blue Orb pen. My Rex ate it, and OH MY there are a lot of predators on South Tropical WOWZA!

• Options
    Well.

My blueprints are gone. And if I try to put some of the items I had stored in singleplayer into the obelisk, adding the second item deletes the first. At least discovering THIS bug only cost me a stack of gasoline.

I am not happy at ARK right now.

Anyone know how to at least unbreak the transfer? Preferably without borking the zillion dinos I also have in there?