As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ARK: Survival Evolved] New Server at end of August

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    So I've been gifted Ark (Thanks @MuddBudd !), and plan on hopping on the server and joining you. I saw mention of "tribes" in the first page, do I have to join one of those? I might only be playing for a few hours a week, so I don't know how much I will be able to contribute. Ideally, I'll find myself a safe-ish plot of land to build a hut and a farm, I guess? I really have no idea at this point.

f3rret on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »
    So I've been gifted Ark (Thanks @MuddBudd !), and plan on hopping on the server and joining you. I saw mention of "tribes" in the first page, do I have to join one of those? I might only be playing for a few hours a week, so I don't know how much I will be able to contribute. Ideally, I'll find myself a safe-ish plot of land to build a hut and a farm, I guess? I really have no idea at this point.

If you don't join us, we will of course have to hunt you down and... um.. drop poop near you since it's PVE and we can't do much to actually hurt you?

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Being part of a tribe is generally more a matter of support from fellow players. I mean, you technically can join a larger group and help to build, farm, tame, etc, but you can also pull a Karoz and make a raft and become a dino-hobo, meandering the map with not much but what's on your back and a few items on said raft.

I'm sure Pierce would not mind some help with his place if you want to join us, though, and I would not say no to a new member helping at the River Ruins Base.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    PimsyPimsy Registered User regular
    So I played a bit more trying to get into this and I fell into a pattern. Unfortunately, the pattern is spawn die repeat. I can manage to get a pick and some berries, maybe even an axe, but it's not long before a snake hunts me down and kills me. How do I manage to avoid theses ungodly beasts? They are everywhere, I tried running from one only to bump into a dilo and had that kill me, and on the very next respawn I was right next to an alligator. Survival is hard.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Heh that is about how the usual first lives go. Beaches are usually the safest to start without things much more dangerous than dilos.

Snakes and gators means you're spawning in one if not the most dangerous area in the game, chalk full of critters that would love to murder you. Once you get a bedroll/bed and some sort of crude dwelling things tends to go quickly from surviving to thriving--especially once you start taming your own dinos.

• Options
    Pimsy wrote: »
    So I played a bit more trying to get into this and I fell into a pattern. Unfortunately, the pattern is spawn die repeat. I can manage to get a pick and some berries, maybe even an axe, but it's not long before a snake hunts me down and kills me. How do I manage to avoid theses ungodly beasts? They are everywhere, I tried running from one only to bump into a dilo and had that kill me, and on the very next respawn I was right next to an alligator. Survival is hard.

Where are you spawning? That could have a great deal to do with the amount of critters you are running into. Myself, I would rather not tangle with a croc or snake without player or dino assistance, so I can see your issues.

Just note that as a rule, beaches are generally but not always safer. You'll still run into dilos, raptors, and even the occasional carno, but you usually have a long line of sight to the critters trying to eat you like they yummy unarmored snack you are.

• Options
    Especially on this map, where we have seen Rexes come down to the beaches.

Tropical island south has that bay on the east side, that might be safe-ish. But I have seen carnos down there.

Basically keep learning engrams until you can make storage, then you can have backup tools, stored items, etc...

And look into taming those dilos. You can punch them unconscious pretty easily, then use meat and narcoberries to tame them.

• Options
    Oh yeah, snakes and crocs mean you are close to the swamp. Do not live close to the swamp without serious backup.

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    Don't be a wimp. I setup next to the swamp on the last map and I turned out just fine.

(my fence line was maybe 20 feet from the swamp)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Peirce fails to mention the amount of relative safety he had because of being situated on on the beach, and then a plateau, with a single side really facing the swamp, and the surrounding area mainly being beach or grassland. Being snuggled gently around the swamp is different than being up to your eyeballs in swamp water, crocs, snakes, and piranha. ;)

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Today turned out to be a lot more productive than I was anticipating.

My dodos are now defended by a pair of low level turtles that were shuffling around and a 100+ dilo, I tamed a 100+ trike after deciding to power through it after seeing what level it was, a level 13 ptera, then as I was getting ready to finish up for the day I took a shot at a 65 ptera near my home, managed to land a second tranq as it was flying away, then with the power of fish prime meat (bagged a massive fish that dropped 17 of the stuff) managed to tame it at a reasonably fast rate. I'm guessing fish meat is a recent addition, because it is not a thing in the taming calculator I've been using.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Peirce fails to mention the amount of relative safety he had because of being situated on on the beach, and then a plateau, with a single side really facing the swamp, and the surrounding area mainly being beach or grassland. Being snuggled gently around the swamp is different than being up to your eyeballs in swamp water, crocs, snakes, and piranha. ;)

Also my property was the size of a football stadium and I had everything built on the opposite end but none of this is relevant.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ok so my workshops done. Well, I need a few more pestles and would like 1 or 2 more chemistry tables. But otherwise it's done.

Next is the kitchen.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Kitchen/Greenhouse/smokehouse structure is up, and the water lines are sort of put in kinda. Plenty more to do, but I might take tomorrow off, we'll see.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Oh man, I just remembered the best part of last night. Physics! Specifically, when they decide to act strange. During my fishing frenzy, I had two of the dead fish get summoned back to their home planets.
    e9KIIYb.jpg
    vMtKOkh.jpg

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    Think i found my base location... trying out styles/options in single-player before pulling the trigger on live... i'm thinking of having an elevator but man are they a pain in the ass to line up... are there secrets for somehow getting them to match up at the top/bottom? i guess build a thatch foundation all the way up and get it to line-up that way?

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    Oh man, what a first day of Ark:
    - Spawn, make an axe, a pick, get some things, make a fire so I don't freeze.
    - Get twinked out by someone on a giant pteranadon (Thanks! I forget your name though!), then build a small thatch hut.
    - Start spearing some vulnerable looking herbivore, chase it.
    - Get killed by bugs, lose everything. Spawn at a bedroll, sweet!
    - Go back for my corpse, get killed by bugs again.
    - Totally lost now and have no idea where my hut is.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to stay on the southern tropical island for a bit, then maybe try to find one of your big bases.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anyone have any opinions on the Dododex app? I was having to alt-tab out of the game to access the wiki, and if the Dododex is a thing that I'll need when I start taming, maybe I'll get going on that now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    - Get twinked out by someone on a giant pteranadon (Thanks! I forget your name though!), then build a small thatch hut.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to stay on the southern tropical island for a bit, then maybe try to find one of your big bases.

It was a Quetzal!

If your base is where your campfire was, it is pretty much North-West of the Blue Obelisk.

• Options
    SutibunRi wrote: »

It was a Quetzal!

If your base is where your campfire was, it is pretty much North-West of the Blue Obelisk.

Thanks! I'll try to head there when I login.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The island directly west of the island with the blue ob is, from what I've seen so far, a bit safer if you stick to the beach. If you head along the south beach there, you'll eventually run across my place. There's a little house on the beach itself that you can stay in if you want. If you follow the beach north along the river, you'll eventually come to Kal's place. I'm sure he wouldn't mind you hanging out there either.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    The island directly west of the island with the blue ob is, from what I've seen so far, a bit safer if you stick to the beach. If you head along the south beach there, you'll eventually run across my place. There's a little house on the beach itself that you can stay in if you want. If you follow the beach north along the river, you'll eventually come to Kal's place. I'm sure he wouldn't mind you hanging out there either.

Yeah, that's exactly where I am! I found your place, and I'm not far from it, I think.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PierceNeck wrote: »

The trip might be dangerous though.

I've seen spinos there.

• Options
    Oh, I put up a sign inside my base, it indicates that the area behind some walls is the Danger Zone.

I can no longer be held liable for anyone falling to their death and being eaten by snakes.

• Options
    Meanwhile, I have a sign outside the current storage for when people are harvesting things for building, including a special item if I need it for non-essential but still fun things, and component parts you can make if you have the BP/Engram.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm going to start gathering materials for and walling off from wandering dinos at the docks location at 80,70. I want to get back into the ocean as soon as I can. The land is fine but I feel more comfortable down there.

Got some podcasts queued and my anky/mammoth out of storage and ready to go.

• Options
    Kal, did you check out my sweet greenhouse?

• Options
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    Kal, did you check out my sweet greenhouse?

Not yet. If I get on today, I'll hop over and check it out. My current greenhouse setup is single level and attached to the kitchen area I made. Once I lay out the plots, pipes, and kitchen things, I'll move on to another structure.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    I'm going to start gathering materials for and walling off from wandering dinos at the docks location at 80,70. I want to get back into the ocean as soon as I can. The land is fine but I feel more comfortable down there.

Got some podcasts queued and my anky/mammoth out of storage and ready to go.

Don't forget there are the bubbles down there.

Someone could live down there quite well if they build some sort of... I guess enclosed underwater dock?

• Options
    azhaisazhais Registered User regular
    I wonder if you could build an elevator from the bubble to the surface and drag birds/land animals into the depths

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    azhais wrote: »
    I wonder if you could build an elevator from the bubble to the surface and drag birds/land animals into the depths

Not sure if it would work underwater.

However, maybe tek tier will have something? They have said they want airtight underwater structures.

Dinos can also eat Lazarus chowder.

• Options
    Woo, need to murder up enough hide for some saddles, but I've gotten an anky and a raptor today. Also need to murder up some chitin for a ptera saddle.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Shit, I didn't know there were underwater domes of air. That's awesome.

Not sure how safe it'd be to park things down next to one, but i'll definitely have to investigate.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Ok, murdertimes were had, got some more saddles on my critters, and I also found a place with metal and crystal not overly far from home, so I took a trip out with my trike to play pack mule. Tomorrow I plan on taking my newly ensaddled anky out there with the trike in tow.

Gonna need to expand my house sooner or later if I don't get around to joining a tribe.

• Options
    Looks like a lot of people are drawn to the ruins.

Anyone set up near the Edge yet?

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Ok, I'm thinking of playing this again. Maybe once a week. I would like to join a tribe, but only for help with taming dino's. That will be my most difficult thing, as I have shorter play times. I will have to see though.

Do people play between 8 am - 12 am PST Mon - Fri? That would be my best time most likely.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Looks like a lot of people are drawn to the ruins.

Anyone set up near the Edge yet?

I've thought about it... its cold out there though, which i've always found to be annoying, even with full fur gear you still get cold in places.

Also a lot of it seems very 'open'/a bit barren... which is fine if you like that but i like building around rocks/mountains ect, incorporate them into my base, also the Centre over-all is a very... vertical map, a large amount of places are only accessible with a flyer or a very rare ramp up.

I'm thinking i'll have my planned second base out there somewhere.

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    So, the Kitchen and Garden are mostly done, and I have moved on to mapping out (all in thatch), the workshop and storage, after which it will be converted into metal, or glass metal. Not sure which yet. Also, this storage is meant to be a god damn hoarder's dream house, so when you see the size, just remember that.

Kalnaur on