As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The LGBT Thread

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2016
    Whippy wrote: »
    babies

It's my birthday and I wanna post this selfie I took at midnight last night so you're just gonna have to deal with my face for this page

Quoting so we have Whippy's lovely face on EVERY PAGE

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Mennonite pride signs (from twitter because I'm terrible about taking pictures)

Yo lemme holla at that Menno boyfriend

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Pride march report:

They were originally expecting around 200 people and were hoping for 1000, there were over 5000 people there which is, incidentally, over 1/3 the population of Steinbach

There were only two (2) porta potties so people had to go to the library and subway that were nearby

After the march the library was hosting an event that could hold a whopping 35 people

Everyone was cute

I took a chance and wore my wig and best outfit and several people complemented me on it which was great (my first time being out in the open)

I was accidentally at the front when they had a pre-march speech and there were definitely CBC cameras rolling but it doesn't look like it made it onto the non-live show cut

Mennonite pride signs (from twitter because I'm terrible about taking pictures)

The march was fun though kinda short, it was cloudy so it didn't get too hot. There were people lining the sidewalks cheering as the parade went on

The parade stopped at the city hall and when we got there, keeping in mind that we were not even close to the first people there, they announced that a large portion of people had yet to leave the starting area. When those people arrived the RCMP had to close off an additional street to fit everyone so they had a chance to hear what was going on

There were a bunch of speakers: a gay hutterite man, the head of a two spirit advocacy organization, a trans man who recently authored a book, a woman with Egyptian parents who talked at length about the deep seated issues the LGBT community has with people of colour, and a bunch more. It kinda went on a bit long but it was all good stuff though the kids in the audience were dying to leave.

No one can agree on an acronym or where to fit two spirit people in there

I was very pleasantly surprised at how much time they gave to transgender and especially two spirit folks

There was a lot of shade thrown at the mayor and the member of legislature for not showing up

The message from Justin Trudeau was nice

Overall it was great but my feet got tired and it got hot by the end there
    Goddamn that last sign is making me homesick and hungry.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Now the X-Men cartoon theme is in my head. Thanks a lot, Whippy.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    For the where to put two-spirit in the acronym, Scouts Canada uses "LGBT2Q" , which is how I learned about two-spirit to begin with. Seems an alright approach, I thought?

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Now the X-Men cartoon theme is in my head. Thanks a lot, Whippy.

X-men + sailor moon combo

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    BEAST

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    BEAST

Which reminds me, do people still occasionally vandalize improve Kelsey Grammer's wiki page?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    For the where to put two-spirit in the acronym, Scouts Canada uses "LGBT2Q" , which is how I learned about two-spirit to begin with. Seems an alright approach, I thought?

Some people were using T instead of 2 and some people said LGBTQ2 which I guess is the sequel to gender and sexuality

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

Some people were using T instead of 2 and some people said LGBTQ2 which I guess is the sequel to gender and sexuality

2 Gender, 2 Sexual.

I'd pay to see that in the cinema.

Apocalyptus on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    LGBT2Q: Tokyo Drift

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    LGBT2Q: Tokyo Drift

Which one is Electric Boogaloo then?

• Options
    LGB2QT (too cutie)

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I always use LGBT+. That way two of the biggest, most often marginalized groups get recognition, and all the other marginalized groups know I'm thinking of them without creating a Titanic acronym. That also avoids the controversial Q, which I don't much care for myself.

MKR on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    The acronym can be unwiedly in length, but I tend to stay away from using anything like a "+" because to me that feels like I'm relegating a bunch of identities and such to a miscellaneous symbol. I only feel that way for a very personal reason due to discussion over using the specific textual phrasing of "trans*" which, while well-intentioned, does further marginalise and push back a lot of folks into a single asterik.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Gatsby wrote: »
    The acronym can be unwiedly in length, but I tend to stay away from using anything like a "+" because to me that feels like I'm relegating a bunch of identities and such to a miscellaneous symbol. I only feel that way for a very personal reason due to discussion over using the specific textual phrasing of "trans*" which, while well-intentioned, does further marginalise and push back a lot of folks into a single asterik.

I back it up by trying to include those identities in discussions. My own identity (nonbinary) tends to be ignored, so I try not to do the same to others.

MKR on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    QUILTBAG.

Because agender/asexual erasure sux and it is also hella cute.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I live in a bizarro world, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop but it just doesn't

I came out publicly on facebook and talked about going to the march all dressed up and everyone was really supportive? My one friend who's fairly conservative and who I expected to say nothing and ignore it for as long as possible messaged me congratulating me on being confident being myself in public and then he invited me to hang out and the only way we talked about me being transgender is how I was going to go forward with changing my name and such and otherwise it was just a normal hang sesh.

Like, everything's great and I'm worrying for nothing?

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I live in a bizarro world, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop but it just doesn't

I came out publicly on facebook and talked about going to the march all dressed up and everyone was really supportive? My one friend who's fairly conservative and who I expected to say nothing and ignore it for as long as possible messaged me congratulating me on being confident being myself in public and then he invited me to hang out and the only way we talked about me being transgender is how I was going to go forward with changing my name and such and otherwise it was just a normal hang sesh.

I know this feeling! That's how I felt when I came out. Waiting for the other shoe to drop, you know?

Nigh on 8 years later and everyone is still being cool, fingers crossed all turns out well for you too.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The Westboro Baptist Church was apparently the location of a Gym in Pokemon Go.

A player named Pinknose took control of it and now controls the location with a Clefairy named LoveIsLove.

• Options

I had the same thing. All my friends and family fully accepted me even before I fully accepted myself. I spent the first year after coming out worrying that it was all a front to cover their seething hatred.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    QUILTBAG.

Because agender/asexual erasure sux and it is also hella cute.

QUILTBAG2: Electric Boogaloo?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    QUILTBAG 2: 2 Sass 2 Curious

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Realtalk I feel like the identity initialism based term is problematic because there are more and more identities being recognized, which is a good problem to have! I also feel like a term that calls out the fact that sexuality and gender are separate spectra would help with baseline education efforts

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Realtalk I feel like the identity initialism based term is problematic because there are more and more identities being recognized, which is a good problem to have! I also feel like a term that calls out the fact that sexuality and gender are separate spectra would help with baseline education efforts

There is always GSM, for Gender & Sexuality Minorities. It makes that distinction but also misses Intersex folks. And is not terribly descriptive.

In other news I continue to loathe social situations where I can't be my true self.. yet also experience doubts about my identity sometimes too. It sucks and is wierd.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I have a call with HR today since I came out to my boss the other week. I've been told that asking me to use a gender neutral bathroom on the first floor is on the agenda, but I work on the tenth floor! So this should be a really fun and good time.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Ugh, I really hope that gets sorted out in your favour because that is such a bullshit demand of theirs.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, I just got an email from Citizens United -- because god knows how the hell my address got on their mailing list -- where Phil Robinson cried about how they're being persecuted for "common sense" hatred of trans folks. Great.

Unfortunately, that unsubscribe button didn't come with a "get fucked and choke on a duck" option, but oh well.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Don't hate on ducks. The real problem is all these fucking geese.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Gundi wrote: »
    Don't hate on ducks. The real problem is all these fucking geese.

quacklivesmatter
    0b6b04d74c5db35056c1b7ee42723d09.jpg

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    :rotate:

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Ugh, I really hope that gets sorted out in your favour because that is such a bullshit demand of theirs.

It went okay. I offered to use the men's room until I can get my new work wardrobe together but I was also given the key to the women's single stall first floor bathroom. I told them I expected to be able to use the women's room once I have my wardrobe, though. I got a wishy washy "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it" but whatever, I guess?

We're gonna start using "Molly" and she/her at work effective immediately, but they won't change anything in the system until I get my legal name changed, which I expected. My boss assured me that he has my back 100% so I'm feeling good about that.

So, yeah. All my big coming outs are done.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    So the Anglican Church just voted to recognize same-sex marriage in their general synod. It initially looked like the motion was voted down with a margin of a single vote, which led to a bunch of Canadian bishops to declare that they would recognize/perform them anyway, but then there was a recount and it passed.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    So the Anglican Church just voted to recognize same-sex marriage in their general synod. It initially looked like the motion was voted down with a margin of a single vote, which led to a bunch of Canadian bishops to declare that they would recognize/perform them anyway, but then there was a recount and it passed.

this is specifically the Anglican Church of Canada, not the entire Anglican Communion

but yes, it is an extremely heartening decision

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    to my knowledge, the member churches of the Communion that currently recognize marriage equality are:

the anglican church of canada
    the episcopal church (US)
    the scottish episcopal church
    the church of ireland

and there may be others that I'm not aware of

I expect that everyone is gearing up for a big fight over this at the next Lambeth Conference in 2018

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I'll bet it's a bittersweet moment for people throwing away their unused protest signs now.

OF ALL THE CHURCHES TO WAFFLE OVER THE RIGHT TO MARRY

and

ONE MAN ONE WOMAN? TRY TELLING THAT TO HENRY.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I've been super stoked from the apparent success of Steinbach Pride. Everyone I know that went was super glad and it absolutely crushed expectations on turnout.

Got some pretty great menno-memes out of it too!

My mom's church (and the church of my upbringing) is Anglican and I'm not surprised to see them on board. For a church, they were always rather open to other views even if they didn't agree.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

Canada continues to be the best of part of the former British Empire.

Speaking of which, was it... Methodists who were the last group before this to change their stance on same-sex marriage? I remember at their last big conference a bunch of ministers raised a fuss saying that if the church wasn't willing to change their stance against homosexuality they and their congregations were going to go splitsville.

Gundi on
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Welp, watch out for a flood of Anglican priests flee to the loving arms of Catholic Church. My old (married) priest did so, but I don't think it was simply because of this decision.

Pisses me off that the RC Church is actively poaching Anglican Priests because of these votes, despite their lack of celibacy. Either get rid of your stupid celibacy rule, allow women, or just accept your declining priest supply.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I once had a priest supply store

but we kept running short on hot commodities
    folk just couldn't find jesus

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
This discussion has been closed.