As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The LGBT Thread

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah I've been told that before. It's kind of a shame that there isn't some kind of effort to create a unified sign language that works across all English-speaking countries to simplify things for the differently-abled.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Zenyatoo wrote: »
    Asl translators? Does Canada not have it's own sign language?

Goggles.

Huh. Apparently not. Well, Quebec has their own.

Fascinating!

I didnt actually know that the A stood for american until this post caused me to look it up.

d-does england have a different sign alphabet?

I have so many questions now that I didnt before.

Yeah, you might expect different versions of sign language for different spoken language regions, but apparently there needs to be like four different versions of sign language for countries that all speak English as their primary language...

Well, most of the different English based sign languages were all developed separately and at different times. So how do you tell a community that they can't use their language anymore because it doesn't match another one. (Rhetorical. Not saying that your doing this)

We don't expect the British or the Aussies to completely switch to using American idioms, so sign language shouldn't either.

It's aluminium vs aluminum.

Is it more challenging? Oh hell yes. There's about 30% similarity between American sign and new Zealand sign.

And I'm rambling...

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i mean kinda? but also that's like saying "it's a shame there's not a unified language, like english, for everyone who doesn't speak english to speak"

it's a language like any spoken one, of course different versions are going to develop, nothin' wrong with that you just have to learn other languages to speak to people

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    i mean kinda? but also that's like saying "it's a shame there's not a unified language, like english, for everyone who doesn't speak english to speak"

it's a language like any spoken one, of course different versions are going to develop, nothin' wrong with that you just have to learn other languages to speak to people

Well yeah, it just kinda puts the onus on the deaf person to have to learn multiple languages to be able to converse with a group of people that can all otherwise converse using one language.

Is there anybody trying to develop the Esperanto of sign languages? Or would a project like that fail just as resoundingly as Esperanto itself pretty much has?

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Fucking Conservatives. (tw: trans erasure)

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Well yeah, it just kinda puts the onus on the deaf person to have to learn multiple languages to be able to converse with a group of people that can all otherwise converse using one language.

Is there anybody trying to develop the Esperanto of sign languages? Or would a project like that fail just as resoundingly as Esperanto itself pretty much has?

but it puts the onus on the English speaking person to go abroad ans at least attempt a few phrases in French/German/Tagalog/Japanese.

I mean, yeah. I get where you're coming from. But it's just another language. And, at least with most (English) sign languages, you can get away with, at minimum, only knowing the alphabet and 1-10. if you can fingerspell with that nations alphabet, you can make it through.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Hello! I'm a straight fella in the military. Most of the LGBT folks I know are also in the military. That'll happen after just shy of nine years, most of the people I know in general are in the military.

Anyway, I'm on another forum that serves a large Air Force community so I already get plenty of opinions on this recent change but I wanted to know what some of you, as individuals, thought of this news. http://www.defense.gov/News/Speeches/Speech-View/Article/821833/remarks-on-ending-the-ban-on-transgender-service-in-the-us-military

I'll put a few quotes in the spoiler. I'm excited that my boys should grow up with more communities holding more equal rights than I even knew about until Skynet takes us all in a brilliant, hateful flash. I know I'm here as a guest so if this question isn't acceptable or welcome please let me know. Obligatory @DaMoonRulz tag so he can judge me.
    Now, while there isn’t definitive data on the number of transgender servicemembers, RAND looked at the existing studies out there and their best estimate was that about 2,500 people out of approximately 1.3 million active-duty servicemembers and about 1,500 out of approximately 825,000 reserve servicemembers are transgender, with the upper end of their range of estimates of around 7,000 in the active component and 4,000 in the reserves.
    Now, as a result of this year-long study, I’m announcing today that we are ending the ban on transgender Americans in the United States military. Effective immediately, transgender Americans may serve openly, and they can no longer be discharged or otherwise separated from the military just for being transgender.

Additionally, I have directed that the gender identity of an otherwise qualified individual will not bar them from military service, or from any accession program.
    Our initial accession policy will require an individual to have completed any medical treatment that their doctor has determined is necessary in connection with their gender transition and to have been stable in their identified gender for 18 months, as certified by their doctor, before they can enter the military. I’ve directed that this accession standard be reviewed no later than 24 months from today to ensure it reflects what more we learn over the next two years as this is implemented as well as the most up to date medical knowledge.
    http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR1530.html

Edit: Sorry, I had more complete thoughts but then the boys woke up and there isn't much room for complete thoughts in a hotel.

No matter how this post comes off or who you are I believe that you are a human and you need to be loved, just like everyone else does.

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Zenyatoo wrote: »
    Asl translators? Does Canada not have it's own sign language?

Goggles.

Huh. Apparently not. Well, Quebec has their own.

Fascinating!

I didnt actually know that the A stood for american until this post caused me to look it up.

d-does england have a different sign alphabet?

I have so many questions now that I didnt before.

Yeah, you might expect different versions of sign language for different spoken language regions, but apparently there needs to be like four different versions of sign language for countries that all speak English as their primary language...

They developed more or less independently, and while they steal loan words even more than English does they aren't just English with the hands. So it's not terribly surprising you get multiple.

So sign language development is super neat! And just like spoken languages, there are tons of regional dialects, slang words, applications that don't make sense to non-native speakers from that area, etc. But in my limited knowledge people can generally vaguely understand each other if they're speaking variations, much like Spain Spanish and Mexican Spanish, or northern English vs aave vs southern dialects. It's easier to think of if you completely divorce sign language from being a Deaf version of spoken language, because it really is its own language.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I hope everyone had a great Pride month! More Pride goodness to come in various cities, of course!

Taken on Sunday at the balcony of a friend's place that had a great view of the parade. I'm the guy with the coke zero can. The other three are various friends I've made through FFXIV, of all places. Picture us as Lalafells (Black Mage, Monk and Astrologian in that order), except the dude on the extreme right - he's a femRoe Paladin.

79fya8nao30v.jpg

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    @Fuselage I am beyond excited. Growing up, joining the military was a way to escape Puerto Rico for many who didn't have the means to move to the US. It really improved the lives of some friends and family.

On my social circles, being LGB openly has become much easier since DADT got repealed, with quite a few people becoming woke, or coming out publicly. I'm pretty hopeful of the same thing happening now with the T now, even if it's at a much slower pace.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Fucking Conservatives. (tw: trans erasure)

This is really bad on multiple levels - not the least of which being trans erasure, but also "Because it's the current year" as a slogan? Fucking really, guys? On top of which, they have not even earned being in this parade; all they did was vote to finally be neutral on same-sex marriage, over ten years after it became legal. You guys don't even technically support it; you're just saying you're neutral so you can continue to have the support of bigots.

Absolutely disgraceful.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    On the cool side of Toronto's Pride parade, the person walking next to Trudeau was a gay Syrian refugee and also probably the happiest looking person in the whole dang country

rz4qvcge9g4q.jpg
    hb00eiio6p0n.jpg

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    I am so happy for that guy.

Like, seeing that article has made me happy by proxy. He is so happy and it's just incredible.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    look at that guy, so tiny and cute and happy.

It's great.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    look at that guy, so tiny and cute and happy.

It's great.

a veritable syrian-canadian Jon Stewart

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    cue mississippi ignoring this ruling in 3... 2...

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    99% of the time I'm all, oh I'm so glad Canada is so cool

then 1% of the time I'm like, fuck these people who boo at the gender neutral anthem and just do nooott even TRRRRYYY to understand BLM halting the pride parade. Pride is a political movement!! How dare people do political movement things at Pride!!! Raaar racism isnt a problem in Canada like in the US they need to go away!!

fuck offffffff

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    the amount of hand wringing over BLM at toronto pride is hilarious and awful

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    speaking of BLM and Toronto pride

instant backpedaling from the pride leadership

whelp, I hope the parade doesn't fucking move an inch next year
    “Of course I want the police to be part of Pride in many ways,” Chantelois said. “And if it’s not a float, it’s going to be something else, but for me, Pride’s for everybody and that includes our police force.”

police don't fucking belong in the parade

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

If they're LGBT officers I think they have a place.

if not I don't see the point

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

“Of course I want the police to be part of Pride in many ways,” Chantelois said. “And if it’s not a float, it’s going to be something else, but for me, Pride’s for everybody and that includes our police force.”

Well damn, and here I was thinking this was a great example of how protests can work when people actually take the time to listen to them. Should have fucking known better, I guess.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The article makes it sound like there will be discussions. I think it's not bad for a starting point.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular

I mean, to be fair of course there's going to be some backpeddling. When BLM shows up day-of the parade, leading it off, and says "Oh, by the way, we're not moving until you agree to this list of demands," (which is what appeared to happen), what else can the guy do but sign it and get it going, then deal with it later? That's literally hostage taking. It might be for a good cause, but that's a goose move.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

they shouldn't be there in the capacity of an officer

sprinkling LGBT folk in police organizations doesn't change the fact that the police are a real live state-sanctioned force of oppression for many folk

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options

they shouldn't be there in the capacity of an officer

sprinkling LGBT folk in police organizations doesn't change the fact that the police are a real live state-sanctioned force of oppression for many folk

I don't feel it's right to shame or exclude them for their career choice either. I myself would be very glad to see that there are some LGBT police

• Options
    I guess it does make me feel better knowing that LGBT police officers can also do awful things to people and be protected by the state

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited July 2016
    As scary as police are, I'd be more afraid to be at any major LGBT event that doesn't have them. If they're in the umbrella, even better. If they're brown AND in the umbrella, best.

Turkey on
  • Options
    BLM demanded no booths or parade floats for officers

not actually the same as asking for them to 100% not be there

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I guess it does make me feel better knowing that LGBT police officers can also do awful things to people and be protected by the state

they also have the opportunity to NOT do that and start the change we would like to see

I get it's a pipe dream but I don't see the reason to completely give up on it since it's literally one of our only options

• Options
    BLM demanded no booths or parade floats for officers

not actually the same as asking for them to 100% not be there

Oh I'm 100% cool with that. I thought that some of the earlier posts meant no cops at all (and I think I misunderstood it the same way last time we talked cops in this thread).

• Options
    Turkey wrote: »
    As scary as police are, I'd be more afraid to be at any major LGBT event that doesn't have them. If they're in the umbrella, even better. If they're brown AND in the umbrella, best.

I agree with dubh, non LGBT officers really should not be there in any way other than what's required by state or city ordinances for a large public gathering or if they have to be called to deal with an issue

• Options
    another option would be to disband modern police forces and put in something that doesn't actively quash disadvantaged folk

which takes a lot of work, work that groups like BLM are actively working toward

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited July 2016
    another option would be to disband modern police forces and put in something that doesn't actively quash disadvantaged folk

which takes a lot of work, work that groups like BLM are actively working toward

I think that "a lot of work" is not even beginning to touch how difficult that would be

but yes that would be much better

Magic Pink on
  • Options

I think that "a lot of work" is not even beginning to touch how difficult that would be

no shit?

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options

no shit?

in other words, it's never going to happen

• Options
    whatever you say

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    My great grandfather said that we'd NEVER put a man in space, much less on the moon.

His father thought that the horseless carriage was an impossible dream!

My dad thought we'd never see a black president in our lifetime.

Shit can change. We just have to have the courage to change it. We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    did you just quote Kennedy

because I'm hearing that last line in a Boston accent

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

no shit?

in other words, it's never going to happen

1) Not with that attitude it won't
    2) Whether or not it's entirely realistic really isn't the point. Most of the things activist groups fight for seem nigh-impossible. If they weren't we wouldn't need activist groups to fight for them. "It can't happen" is a mantra the system uses to try and maintain the status quo.

And, like, of all people on this forum, you don't have to tell Dubh how tough the things she advocates for are to achieve. She is well aware and is pretty strongly on record as not letting that stand in her way.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.