As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Indie Games] Stardew Valley hits PS4/One on 12/14

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    and if you're curious about the video, look 8 posts above Bagel :P

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    and if you're curious about the video, look 8 posts above Bagel :P

homer-doh-animated-gif-i13.gif

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Like I want to play a platformer where I can turn into an elephant sometimes

I want that more than anything

And I worry that Shantae is that game

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Donkey Kong Country 3?

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    So is all the stuff people have posted about Shantei from Pirate's curse?

Cause I don't remember any of that in the second game. Other than the art style.

Honestly Shantei's art style doesn't bother me, which I actually find kind of weird since a lot of things kind of similar to it do.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

Tembo the Badass Elephant works if you are okay with "sometimes" being "all times"

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular

When you've got elephant stomp, every operation is operation dumbo drop.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

it doesn't have elephants, but you should clearly play Altered Beast

• Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    turtleant wrote: »

Cause I don't remember any of that in the second game. Other than the art style.

Honestly Shantei's art style doesn't bother me, which I actually find kind of weird since a lot of things kind of similar to it do.

Everything I've seen mentioned in the thread is from Pirate's Curse. It... has some issues.
    FCD wrote: »
    Yeah, the cheesecakey-ness of the Shantae games is a bit much. It really feels rooted in a sort of late nineties/early zeroes attitude of 'sexy girls = empowerment!' that hasn't aged well. I'm hoping they'll tone it down in the future.

I think where this falls apart is the fact that practically every female character in the game has the same body type. In fact, the only woman in Pirate's Curse who doesn't fit the "busty and waifish" mold is the subject of a bunch of fat jokes. It's hard to argue your art style is empowering for women when you're making it clear there's only one acceptable way to look.

Like, the Shantae games are fun from a gameplay perspective, but damn if they don't come with a bunch of baggage that makes them uncomfortable to play.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Yeah, I'm going from Pirate's Curse too. I played the first one and it was ok, I don't remember a lot from it. I think the only issue I had was the standard objectified little girls thing but other games do far far worse. (I'm looking at you, Neptunia.)

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

thank Dr. Light this actually looks pretty good

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Will there be a public demo of this game? Because what I saw looks interesting enough to me that I would like to try it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Yeah, I'm going from Pirate's Curse too. I played the first one and it was ok, I don't remember a lot from it. I think the only issue I had was the standard objectified little girls thing but other games do far far worse. (I'm looking at you, Neptunia.)

I bought my first Neptunia game when I was searching for new JRPGs to play on Steam. I started it... and it was okay.... but god damn does all the creepy waifu shit just turn me right off. I can barely stand to play it on account of it.

It's not just a Neptunia problem by the looks of things. It seems like pretty much any game from Idea Factory follows essentially the same formula.

WordLust on
  • Options

thank Dr. Light this actually looks pretty good

it looks fun

but I think it looks super fucking ugly

especially compared to the concept art (yes I know, concept art) in the KS campaign

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    a lot of people have been saying that the whole time the game's been in dev and I continue to be baffled by it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    WordLust wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I bought my first Neptunia game when I was searching for new JRPGs to play on Steam. I started it... and it was okay.... but god damn does all the creepy waifu shit just turn me right off. I can barely stand to play it on account of it.

It's not just a Neptunia problem by the looks of things. It seems like pretty much any game from Idea Factory follows essentially the same formula.
    They absolutely do. I'll usually still get a Neptunia game every so often if it's on deep clearance because I really love the gameplay but my god the stuff they pull is beyond the pale and sometimes LITERALLY pedophilia.

I will say the PS4 game, while still having it, was blessfully limited compared to some of the other games. Except for the special DLC character girl that's actually looking for a waifu and repeatedly tries to molest the other girls (which sadly most of the older girls do repeatedly in the series; PS4 game is no exception).

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    a lot of people have been saying that the whole time the game's been in dev and I continue to be baffled by it

I thought Jim's analysis of the visual design as a high-def modern PS1 game was pretty on-point. And it's not a style that I'm particularly in to, but I certainly don't think it's ugly. It's got a decently cohesive design with lots of color and no real issues with discerning important content. It's fine.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Yeah I just find this to be overwhelming more visually interesting in terms of art style

a1d0e45fc7a68f4c962f2ebcd7a2210c_original.jpg?w=680&fit=max&v=1377909641&auto=format&q=92&s=a7c511c25cbd252c03134a8b84a98aa5

the whole high-def PS1 style graphics of the release version do absolutely nothing for me (and I think they're pretty blocky and ugly in their blandness)

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The character models just feel really flat and bland to me

Like, they're polygonal, but it's all flat textures with zero sense of, well, texture

Like they're all cheap plastic figures

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Watching the jim sterling mn9 video now and yeah I just don't think the art looks very good

the level of model detail is very low but the level of background detail is way too high and it feels like beck doesn't visualy pop from the background the way he should

the gameplay actually looked alright though? I mean I know I'm not a fan of megaman games but the having to dash through enemies thing seems better in practice than it did on paper

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    It looks okay. Doesn't set my heart on fire. Doesn't look like Mega Man exactly. But it looks okay. I might get it at some point.

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »

Yeah I just find this to be overwhelming more visually interesting in terms of art style

a1d0e45fc7a68f4c962f2ebcd7a2210c_original.jpg?w=680&fit=max&v=1377909641&auto=format&q=92&s=a7c511c25cbd252c03134a8b84a98aa5

the whole high-def PS1 style graphics of the release version do absolutely nothing for me (and I think they're pretty blocky and ugly in their blandness)
    I understand this was just concept art but man I would be mad if I backed MM9 and got the look it currently has

even if they didn't go hand-drawn with it that concept art looks waaaaaaaaay different

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Starr Mazer is teasing some allegedly huge news today at 3PM PDT

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Doooope

Still the only game I currently have backed on Kickstarter

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Anzekay wrote: »

I understand this was just concept art but man I would be mad if I backed MM9 and got the look it currently has

even if they didn't go hand-drawn with it that concept art looks waaaaaaaaay different

yeah I mean, I didn't expect exactly that (though I expected something of similar quality)

but yeah I backed it and I can't say I am thrilled about the result

• Options
    MN9 looks like a high end flash game to me.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    I didn't back MN9 or anything so I'm not salty at all.. but yeah. That concept art that showed up when the kickstarter was on was like "Oooooo dammmnnn..." and then way later pics of the actual game started coming out and I was like "Oh..."

• Options

As long as it doesn't play like a flash game, I don't really mind.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    MN9 was the point where I'm glad I decided never to back a game above the minimum digital preorder point. If I'm out 10-20 bucks and the game doesn't live up to the pitch I don't feel nearly as bad as if I'm out 100 again.

I backed a couple prior kickstarters at high merch filled levels and I don't really use or like any of it.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The voice acting is rough but the game looks fun.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    The voice acting is rough but the game looks fun.

There's a certain charm to voice acting that bad though. If I'm on a nostalgia trip in a game they might as well get it mostly accurate!

Calling this an HD ps1 game is super accurate and I'm kinda ok with that being the result. I definitely like the old style better though.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

yeah all that stuff is from pirate's curse, that game leaned into it harder than the previous ones

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

there are some flash games that play better than several mega man games

• Options

there are some flash games that play better than several mega man games

Yeah that was a gross generalization. There's some really solid stuff out there that was made in flash, of course, but anyone who's played free flash games on the Internet for a decent amount of time has an idea of what they expect from a platforming flash game, and that's what I'm referring to there.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular

It has more of a early-mid xbox 360 live arcade release look to me. Like it came out the same time as 'splosion man and just missed out on being featured in summer of arcade.

• Options

yeah all that stuff is from pirate's curse, that game leaned into it harder than the previous ones

Hopefully it was an outlier then.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    You dudes talked about this shit yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXCCYB3Mdlg

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

The news is pretty much exactly what I was expecting, they've partnered with Playism for publishing. Slept through the first couple hours of the stream so I don't really know any actual details of what that entails if they mentioned any of that.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    You dudes talked about this shit yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXCCYB3Mdlg

that is so dumb/brilliant

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
This discussion has been closed.