As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Voltron: Legendary Defender - Do ya like (Robot) Cats?

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    Episode 7
    That Voltron vs Lotor-Voltron fight was siiiiiick.
    Season 6 spoilers
    Between that fight and the Keith/Shiro facedown, this season just had some incredible animation sequences

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Some general thoughts about the structure of the show overall, minor spoilers
    So season 1 and 2 are the 'Zarkon Arc', the Paladins are finding their place in the universe, settling into their role, and fighting against the fascist leader of the universe-dominating Galra Empire
    Seasons 3-6 are the 'Lotor Arc', which adds texture and depth to the Galra empire, unifying the universe, and exploring the nature of Quintessence and the origins of Voltron, and the villain is similarly complex.
    So I have to imagine that the last 26/28 episodes(and a movie?!!?) will revolve around Honerva/Haggar as the villain. She's been there the whole time, she orchestrated the entire Shiro long-con, and made it clear towards the end of season 6 that she's still working towards an objective.
    Maybe Zarkon won't come back like I speculated? I dunno.

Along with
    Haggar, there is still Sendak running around accumulating power. I don't think he is/should be the big bad, but he's still around.

There is also an opportunity for the Drule empire to show up as an offshoot, which would be amazing because then Vehicle Voltron would become a reality...but sadly I don't see that happening.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Honerva could totally be the final big bad, but Lotor is definitely coming back at some point allied with the Alt-teans

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Honerva could totally be the final big bad, but Lotor is definitely coming back at some point allied with the Alt-teans
    I figure the Alt-eans are coming back, but not as an ally of Lotor. I also think Lotor is coming back, but no idea how at the moment.

sig.gif
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    When
    Keith came back after the two year time squeeze, he should of had a beard.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    yes Yes YES!!!!
    Dungeons and Dragons Episode

• Options
    halkun wrote: »
    When
    He got a teleporting wolf instead, I think it cancels out.

Besides, his Mom probably hates beards.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    When

Maybe a side effect of being half Galran eliminates beard growth. Do we have Galrans with facial hair?

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    So, pure speculation
    If and When the Galaxy Federation decides to build their own Voltron, how about they reuse the other aliens for most of the pilots instead of making an 15-Earthling team?

- #1 and #2 - Rolo and Nyma, the two smugglers-turned-Resistance fighters
    - #3 - Olia, the dog Captain and close associate of Matt Holt
    - #4 - Krolia as the Blade of Marmorran representative
    - #5 - (At least) one of Lotor's ex-generals

Then add some new faces, like an Olkari, and a Balmeran, and add Shiro, Matt, and Sven, and several humans and you got your Vehicle team!

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    So, pure speculation
    If and When the Galaxy Federation decides to build their own Voltron, how about they reuse the other aliens for most of the pilots instead of making an 15-Earthling team?

Then add some new faces, like an Olkari, and a Balmeran, and add Shiro, Matt, and Sven, and several humans and you got your Vehicle team!

You forgot about Slav!

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    So, pure speculation

You forgot about Slav!

in this universe

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Terrendos wrote: »
    So, pure speculation

You forgot about Slav!

Slav's an engineer! The Slavs bickering in the hangar would make better comedy!

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    When

Maybe a side effect of being half Galran eliminates beard growth. Do we have Galrans with facial hair?
    Lots of them! Sideburns allround really!

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    9UOnLpS.jpg
    kxkwPJo.jpg

Going to the San Diego Comic-Con and got some cash to spare? Then you can pick up this Lego Ideas 2321-piece set for $179.99. And yes, the Lions can be set up separated or joined together.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I finished the latest season a couple days ago
    This show continues to fire on all cylinders and it rules

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »
    9UOnLpS.jpg
    kxkwPJo.jpg

Going to the San Diego Comic-Con and got some cash to spare? Then you can pick up this Lego Ideas 2321-piece set for $179.99. And yes, the Lions can be set up separated or joined together.

It's also being released by LEGO on August 1, in case you wanted it but didn't want to wait in SDCC lines.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Finally got a chance to catch up, and just... daaaamn.
    • Is the quintessence field officially nonviable as an infinite source of renewable energy, then? Because apart from Lotor flipping out at the end, that seemed like a solid plan. (Also, I don't think Lotor revealed his true colors so much as he snapped after one abandonment too many. Not that he didn't deserve it, mind.)
    • I love how the "teamwork" theme played out in the mech battle. Team Voltron was able to pull back from the brink because they keep each other grounded. Lotor went full-on maniac because he's all alone in the Sincline mech, with no one to talk him down.
    • So... what actually happened to clone!Shiro, the person? There was more to him than the arm (or he would have shut down immediately when Keith cut it off), so he apparently got obliterated somehow while leaving the clone's brain intact enough for Shiro to move back in.
    • Shiro's scar is apparently a plasma burn, which actually makes a ton of sense.
    • Lotor's governess was trolling Hunk hard and you can't convince me otherwise.
    • Everyone took a level in badass, holy shit. Pidge confirmed second scariest team member, after Coran (but only because he's got, like six centuries' worth of experience on her).
    Coran
    Is just the worst DM. What a jerk.
    Serves the paladin right for not using Detect Evil before picking up strange swords :razz:

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Its weird the amount of powers they introduced and never touched again looking back

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Its weird the amount of powers they introduced and never touched again looking back

Like what? The only one that comes to mind offhand is the red lion's tuning fork laser from I think s2.

• Options
    I still want to know what Blue's addition to Voltron is supposed to be.

Also that Lance will be piloting it when it happens.

sig.gif
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Just finished this season.
    I love this series so much it makes me feel like an excited little kid watching Saturday morning cartoons again.

Super excited for the return to Earth but I got a theory. Anytime alien stuff interacted with the Earth government it was weirdly kept under wraps. Like how what really happened to the Pluto expedition was covered up or how no one listened to Shiro instead putting him under and into immediate quarantine. Anyone think we're gonna have the gang deal with Earth government authorities not on the up and up?

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

Like what? The only one that comes to mind offhand is the red lion's tuning fork laser from I think s2.

Alteans being able to transform to look like other races

Black lions bigger mouth sword

Those vines that green shot that shut down technology

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    all of those come up at least more since introduction

• Options
    I still want to know what Blue's addition to Voltron is supposed to be.

Also that Lance will be piloting it when it happens.
    Blue is the team's heart. Lance said as much to Allura on Naxcela.

As the legs, the yellow and blue paladins can be thought of as supporting the team physically and emotionally, respectively. Hunk manifests that by cooking, doing a lot of hands-on engineering, and frequently being the person pointing out when they're about to do something insanely dangerous. Lance has the most emotional awareness out of the five of them, and is often the person smoothing things over. He also has a habit of rescuing people from uncomfortable situations by redirecting attention to himself. He does have a tendency to wear his heart on his sleeve, but that goes with the territory: when something's bothering him, he talks about it.
    darunia106 wrote: »
    I love this series so much it makes me feel like an excited little kid watching Saturday morning cartoons again.

Super excited for the return to Earth but I got a theory. Anytime alien stuff interacted with the Earth government it was weirdly kept under wraps. Like how what really happened to the Pluto expedition was covered up or how no one listened to Shiro instead putting him under and into immediate quarantine. Anyone think we're gonna have the gang deal with Earth government authorities not on the up and up?
    I don't really get why people think the government/Garrison was being shady. "Astronauts abducted by hostile aliens" isn't something you release unless you want to cause mass panic, and "pilot error" is basically code for "something went wrong, but we don't know what."

As for Shiro, like... of course they quarantined him. As far as they know, he's been missing in space for a year, returned in a UFO, has been exposed to God knows what, has a chunk of alien tech where one of his limbs used to be, and may or may not be who he says he is. They sedate him both because he's panicking and because they don't know what his arm can do ("Put him under until we know what that thing's capable of"); which turns out to be prudent, because the arm is in fact a deadly weapon that Shiro himself doesn't know about at that point. And Shiro doesn't seriously hold it against them ("Tell Iverson I'll kick his butt for strapping me to that table").

Alteans being able to transform to look like other races

Black lions bigger mouth sword

Those vines that green shot that shut down technology
    There was a callback to Altean shapeshifting in s6, and I think the vines got used in s5. The jawblades get used mostly when they're fighting fleets as individual lions, and they haven't been doing much of that lately.

• Options
    I meant in the literal sense; the other lions have added something to Voltron in a big fight, but Blue hasn't.

sig.gif
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »

I don't really get why people think the government/Garrison was being shady. "Astronauts abducted by hostile aliens" isn't something you release unless you want to cause mass panic, and "pilot error" is basically code for "something went wrong, but we don't know what."

As for Shiro, like... of course they quarantined him. As far as they know, he's been missing in space for a year, returned in a UFO, has been exposed to God knows what, has a chunk of alien tech where one of his limbs used to be, and may or may not be who he says he is. They sedate him both because he's panicking and because they don't know what his arm can do ("Put him under until we know what that thing's capable of"); which turns out to be prudent, because the arm is in fact a deadly weapon that Shiro himself doesn't know about at that point. And Shiro doesn't seriously hold it against them ("Tell Iverson I'll kick his butt for strapping me to that table").
    Hm yes I see.

Sounds like something a GOVERNMENT SPOOK WOULD SAY!

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Hey! It's Comic-Con! There's news!

There will be 2 more 13 episode seasons and then the series will be over.

And

Shiro is, officially, canonically, gay, having been engaged prior to his joining the Galaxy Garrison and the relationship breaking off due to his decision. His sexuality will be shown on the show, so it ain't gonna be a Dumbledore situation.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

And

Shiro is, officially, canonically, gay, having been engaged prior to his joining the Galaxy Garrison and the relationship breaking off due to his decision. His sexuality will be shown on the show, so it ain't gonna be a Dumbledore situation.

SHEITH SHEITH SHEITH

Are the seasons going to continue being split into 6/7 episode chunks, or are we gonna get the full thing at once?

Two full seasons is absolutely not a surprise, glad to hear we're getting all of it still.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    yeah I had a gut feeling we're about 2/3rds or so of the way through, so 26 more episodes isn't much of a surprise (and a pretty good length really)

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Haven't we known the exact number of episodes for awhile now? Like 79 or something?

• Options

And

Or bi. They haven't said for sure, afaik.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

And

Or bi. They haven't said for sure, afaik.
    That's true!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
  • Options

And

I love Voltron, but the Galaxy Garrison makes no effing sense :razz:

I keep feeling like the writers really wanted it to be post-secondary at least, but Netflix/DW insisted on calling the paladins "teenagers" in the marketing material.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

And

this makes me so damn happy

especially since we've been watching the second season of star trek discovery which kinda let us down on this

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

YESSSSSSSS <3

I heard about this earlier this morning, and I was so god damn happy to hear it.

Also! :tell_me_more:

(season 7 spoilers)

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    New season today apparently? These things come quick

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    And it's a full sized season, instead of being cut in half like the last couple. What the hell?

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »

YESSSSSSSS <3

I heard about this earlier this morning, and I was so god damn happy to hear it.

Also! :tell_me_more:

(season 7 spoilers)

This is the only scene with them!

Minor S7 spoiler
    Adam dies offscreen before Shiro gets back to earth.

This season is real queerbaity.
    Otherwise excellent.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Just binge watched S7. Pretty solid. There is a single episode that is a complete turd. You will know when you start watching it. Go ahead an skip it. You will be missing absolutely nothing. Trust me. Seriously.. You have better things to do with your 22 minutes of life.

halkun on