Options

The Orlando Mass-Shooting

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Phasen wrote: »

Charity Navigator is a site ive used to check on the legitimacy of a charity.

Guidestar's also good if you want a BBB/Consumer Reports equivalent for a nonprofit.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I'm seeing people on the news asking people locally to give blood

And there are reports Orlando has temporarily lifted the ban on sexually active gay men from giving. Which remains one of the stupidest fucking rules in our government.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

After the shooting, Orlando Red Cross has lifted its ban on LGBT donors

so, hooray for that I guess

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Straight men can legally buy AR-15s to kill

Gay men can't donate blood to save lives

FREEDOM

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

If they can lift it at any time, what is the point in even having it?

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Do we have a solid timeline of what occurred? I'm having a hard time finding information that isn't opinion based or hysteria.

Nevermind, tablet fail. Stupid cache option.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

Is it actual medical people asking, or just random persons? What often happens during events like this is that the desire to donate far exceeds the capacity to deal with volunteers.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

That's ominous. (LA Pride is today, with Secretary Clinton in attendance)

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

If they can lift it at any time, what is the point in even having it?

Well they'll only be giving it to other gay folk, so it's fiiiine. :tell_me_more:

This whole thing is awful.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

Is it actual medical people asking, or just random persons? What often happens during events like this is that the desire to donate far exceeds the capacity to deal with volunteers.

I think it was the governor of Florida

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

I'd like to think we prevent far more incidents than we let occur, hopefully.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    https://twitter.co m/RobertFaturechi/status/742030062854119424

holy fuck

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

Are you kidding me : (

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    My sister and her husband almost went to that club. They opted to drive up to St. Augustine instead. They're safe. Wish I could say that for over a hundred other people, or the thousands more that will now live in the shadows because they're afraid that someone will fucking shoot them for where they choose to go for fun.

• Options
    LA Police say no indications it's connected or that it really was a planned attack at all. The latter sounds like bullshit, the former wouldn't surprise me. There's enough hate and weaponry in this country for two of these on one day. Lucky that one got pulled over.

• Options
    Oh oops, I think I made a small mistake. HRC in the context this is in is the Human Rights Campaign, I always think of it as Hillary Rodham Clinton. So no Clinton there, but still

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Mr. Rogers, on point as always.

This is the best idea. Heck, I'm tears just reading his Tvtropes page right now.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Mr. Rogers, on point as always.

This is the best idea. Heck, I'm tears just reading his Tvtropes page right now.

If there were 50 Mr.Rogers in the world, we'd have world peace in 5 years.

• Options
    LA Times write up on that arrest. Nothing much new other than the car had Indiana plates and the man said he was in town for the pride festival.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Obama's going to be doing a thing to address the shooting in the next few minutes.

488W936.png
  • Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    This is awful. I'm friends with a DJ who runs a gig there for the past 5 years. First thing I did was check his website to see what day his company was scheduled there. Just ugh.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular

Well, it's a hold over from the time when AIDS was running through the gay community. It's not like they didn't have a reason, but it's been something that has been an oversight. I'm glad that it's coming down, even if it is for this awful event.

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    It is now official: from the senior Democratic member of the House Intelligence Committee, the shooter pledged allegiance to ISIS ahead of the attack.

edit:

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    920x920.jpg

Later deleted.

A spokesperson said that was a pre-timed tweet and apologized.

Patrick is a shitty human being, no doubt, and hates LGBT people, but this may have been an honest stroke of bad timing.

Yeah, I just flat out do not believe this.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »
    It is now official: from the senior Democratic member of the House Intelligence Committee, the shooter pledged allegiance to ISIS ahead of the attack.

So this story isn't leaving the news for 6 months, if that's true.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Statement hasn't started right?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Statement hasn't started right?

Doesn't seem so yet, no.

488W936.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    President's speech has been delayed, speculation that it may be because of the news out of LA with the guy stopped with a shitload of guns.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    It sucks, all the wrong "lessons" will be learned and we'll have another one within a year :(

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    E: Beaten

silence1186 on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    The West Hollywood pride is going to go on as planned. There's apparently now a fuckton of police and FBI embedded in the festival now though.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

edit:

Oh goddammit.

Now Trump is going to use this tragedy to pander to bigots and racists, be super extra offensive and toxic, his general election poll numbers are going to go up, and I'm just going to vomit.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I hope that these shooting and the LA gun guy aren't related. Otherwise, ISIS would be declaring war on the LGBT community and that would be awful.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    shryke wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I can't even understand what kind of hate and mental unsuitability that causes someone to do this or like the Voice girl that got killed this weekend. It makes no sense...

It makes perfect sense.

People are raised from birth to believe their entire existence is owed to a supreme being they cannot communicate with or understand and then they're told that the supreme being will punish them if they allow others to act against a set of arbitrary rules AND THEN they live in desperation or unhappiness and wonder why their supreme being has abandoned them AND THEN they see two men kissing.

Forget the gun control debate. Right now I'm sick up to my eyeballs with religious indoctrination.

Please. You don't know anything about the guy yet and you are jumping to this stuff already? We have no idea what kind of household he was raised in, how religious he was or even what the basis of his issues were.

You know what we do know though? He shot like a hundred fucking people. One fucking hundred from the reports so far.

Let's forget the "religion is the problem" debate instead and look at how a guy gets access to weapons that let him try to kill like two bus loads worth of people. Cause it seems silly to jump to issues not yet established over issues that are pretty firmly right there in the centre already.

The weapon is "only" a tool, and even if it's a powerful one, I'd say the motivations are much much more important- After all, if you don't want to kill anyone, you won't kill anyone with an assault rifle, gun, rock, spoon, whatever.

Unchanging dogma is a problem in today's ever changing world.

Tradition and religion are often close, but religion has a dogma to fall back on that is much clearer than the hazy ideas of tradition.

So I say religions that do this and all similar unchanging dogmas relating to social constructs need to be looked upon closely and shunned hard.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

edit:

Oh goddammit.

Now Trump is going to use this tragedy to pander to bigots and racists, be super extra offensive and toxic, his general election poll numbers are going to go up, and I'm just going to vomit.

He's way ahead of you.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Appreciate the congrats for being right on radical Islamic terrorism, I don't want congrats, I want toughness & vigilance. We must be smart!</p>— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href=" 12, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Options
    edited June 2016
    PantsB wrote: »
    It sucks, all the wrong "lessons" will be learned and we'll have another one within a year :(

This is the seventh mass shooting since Monday, so that seems optimistic.'

EDIT: I'm not even sure that includes the one in Roswell, New Mexico, yesterday that left five dead, including four children which almost no one will hear about.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    I hope that these shooting and the LA gun guy aren't related. Otherwise, ISIS would be declaring war on the LGBT community and that would be awful.

They already have. When you toss people suspected of being gay off tall buildings you've basically declared your position.