As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Take the cannoli, leave the [Movies] Thread (contains Lights Out spoilers, quarantined)

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The gay subtext of that film is hardly limited to Kilmer's character.

There is no gay subtext in that movie.

Bah, look at this exchange:
    Iceman: So, you think you got what it takes to be the top?
    Maverick: Oh, I'm gonna be the top. Just you wait.
    Iceman: Not as long as I'm the best stick man, you won't.
    Maverick: Soon enough, bro. Everytime you turn around, there I'll be. And you'll know, "yep, he's the top. Top Gun."
    Iceman: Let's go play some naked volleyball.
    Maverick: Only if Goose can watch.

I mean, that's pretty gay, you have to admit.

Atomika on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    You can't just cut out the important part of my joke and then top of the page it!

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    The gay subtext of that film is hardly limited to Kilmer's character.

There is no gay subtext in that movie.

Bah, look at this exchange:
    Iceman: So, you think you got what it takes to be the top?
    Maverick: Oh, I'm gonna be the top. Just you wait.
    Iceman: Not as long as I'm the best stick man, you won't.
    Maverick: Soon enough, bro. Everytime you turn around, there I'll be. And you'll know, "yep, he's the top. Top Gun."
    Iceman: Let's go play some naked volleyball.
    Maverick: Only if Goose can watch.

I mean, that's pretty gay, you have to admit.

That's just gay text

• Options
    You can't just cut out the important part of my joke and then top of the page it!

I thought for a minute that you meant "gay submarine text" and was all, "No, we're talking about Top Gun, not Hunt for Red October."

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    So not a full statistical analysis (and not by me), but that the average at one point touches the 100 line is telling.

1_123125_123050_2279896_2294903_2296069_110602_cb_average.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

It's also interesting that the decline stops at about where even the youngest critic would consider "in my lifetime", meaning they're going to have started experiencing movies naturally rather than through the lens of "the classics".

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Hunt for Red October?
    oh, you mean Scottish Is The New Russian

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Central Intelligence, very good comedy, perfect summer time killing movie. Biggest flaw is it was PG-13, not R.

Melissa Joan Kevin Hart was the most popular kid in high school despite his childlike height, voted most likely to succeed, prom king who married the prom queen. But he's in a mid level accounting job for the past 20 years while his wife is a partner at a law firm and he's upset with being the nice guy who has stalled out in life. He was the only nice guy to DSS Agent Hobbs who was teased and pranked for being fat, a guy who is now a CIA agent and tricks the little accounting kid into helping uncover some missing codes to protect America. But he's been framed and is also on the run from the CIA and Holly Flax, aka Beadie Russell!

Best thing about the movie was how is didn't use some predictable stuff apart from the story, which has the usual "twists" and "turns." Hart doesn't resort to sassy little black kid with witty comebacks, he literally does not want to be involved with all this stuff, but The Rock is a bit of a sincere dimwit who thinks he's just playing along, because how can anyone not like guns, cinnamon pancakes and unicorns? And unlike some other action stars turned comedy guys, The Rock is actually good here in not overstepping his role or his humor; he's lethal, well trained despite wearing a fanny pack and jean shorts like this is 1995, but still has the mentality of a nerdy fat kid who doesn't know his own strength or skills when dealing with normal people, and is just a little too obsessed with his one-way friendship with Hart. So you've got a nice duo here where it's not all slapstick, and a solid supporting cast and one good cameo and one bad cameo that was just super frustrating at the end because it's like "no, you do not belong in this movie, shoo, shoo." Plus they have an excellent Goodfellas joke that was extra special because of how everyone agrees with me that it's the best movie ever made.

The only real problem here is in the editing of the movie. It looked like it was going to be an R but they cut it down to a PG-13, as it seems to start off with some cussing then stops because they hit their swear limit, and quite a few scenes that needed the blood or to show the aftereffects of some nasty wicked super swick moves The Rock pulls on people. What furthers this is evidence of really bad ADR dialogue following the scene shown in the trailers of the Rock pushing Hart around the office dodging gunfire, to the point where he must've come in at the last minute to just do some exposition drops where he clearly isn't saying that stuff onscreen.

But overall it's the best buddy comedy in theaters this year behind Nice Guys. I hope the digital/DVD release has one of those unrated cuts that actually is something more than just showing boobs for two seconds.

• Options
    Hunt for Red October?

dosh vedanyerrr, komrade

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Hunt for Red October?

dosh vedanyerrr, komrade

Still better than Indiana Solo's attempt in K-19.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    RE Central Intelligence: Looked a lot funnier than the Adam Sandler version that is a Netflix "exclusive". Adam Sandler isn't someone I just shit on for no reason, because I genuinely enjoy some of the movies he was in (classic triumvirate Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, and Water Boy, Airheads, Funny People, and I chuckled a little at Don't Mess with the Zohan) and produced (Grandma's Boy), but he's been much more miss than hit lately.

• Options
    gjaustin wrote: »
    So not a full statistical analysis (and not by me), but that the average at one point touches the 100 line is telling.

1_123125_123050_2279896_2294903_2296069_110602_cb_average.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

It's also interesting that the decline stops at about where even the youngest critic would consider "in my lifetime", meaning they're going to have started experiencing movies naturally rather than through the lens of "the classics".

There is almost certainly selection bias here. No one goes back to dredge up the shit from 1935 that no one remembers. So a lot of the stinkers just get forgotten.

It's like listening to the golden oldies. Of course they're all hits when you have 40 years of music pre screened for you.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

There is almost certainly selection bias here. No one goes back to dredge up the shit from 1935 that no one remembers. So a lot of the stinkers just get forgotten.

It's like listening to the golden oldies. Of course they're all hits when you have 40 years of music pre screened for you.
    Right, but that doesn't explain why the ratings bottom out a good 10 years before the site was started.

There have to be some people going back and reviewing movies they didn't like. Based on the dates on the reviews, Rotten Tomatoes doesn't seem to be digging into archives for older reviews.

• Options
    Matt Atchity, one of RT's founders, is a regular guest on Carolla's podcast, and he has said they try to pull the reviews that they can from what the newspapers provide for the older movies. It's easier I guess for Variety, NYTimes, or Ebert's site for instance because they're bigger names (and in Hollywood there's got to be some kind of archive for local rags), but some of the other city newspapers and magazines are up to what is available.

This has been brought up to him before but I can't peg it down, and he does admit there are people who do rig reviews (one thing he's brought up is how Austin Powers was perpetually at a 69% forever and it wasn't just coincidence)

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Matt Atchity, one of RT's founders, is a regular guest on Carolla's podcast, and he has said they try to pull the reviews that they can from what the newspapers provide for the older movies. It's easier I guess for Variety, NYTimes, or Ebert's site for instance because they're bigger names (and in Hollywood there's got to be some kind of archive for local rags), but some of the other city newspapers and magazines are up to what is available.

This has been brought up to him before but I can't peg it down, and he does admit there are people who do rig reviews (one thing he's brought up is how Austin Powers was perpetually at a 69% forever and it wasn't just coincidence)

I wonder if they're doing that and either not properly back-dating them or not showing them on the website. Or if the movies I checked were just strange abnormalities.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    My review for Independence Day: Resurgence:

It is a movie. It has aliens attacking Earth, landmarks being destroyed, inspiring speeches, and desperate schemes. I have no regrets.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote:
    Edit: The military has traditionally cooperated quite often with movie makers when it came to filming things like aircraft and carriers and such, because it meant they could use that as leverage to ensure that the armed forces were always the good guys in the story. With the advent of CGI and budgets getting big enough that film crews can literally rent a squadron of jets for close ups and computer in the rest the military is losing it's grip on things and doesn't really know what to do.

Top Gun is the grand champion of this. They paid like $3 million for military equipment and had actual military personal do the navy stuff for them. It was all real, which is amazing.

I once worked on a shoot with a guy who worked on the crew of Top Gun. He said the cameraman could not track the planes for the fly-by shots with any accuracy, so they gave the cameras to the aircraft carrier gunners, who got the shots perfectly.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

It is a movie. It has aliens attacking Earth, landmarks being destroyed, inspiring speeches, and desperate schemes. I have no regrets.

Its not as good as the first one, but what Sequel is these days?

Quick spoiler review:
    What it lacks that the first one had is a sense of scale. And a cohesive plot. And Character arcs for the main cast.

The Alien mother ship is... too large. You never get a sense of scale on the thing. Its just this huge thing that is 5000km across. And you never get any moment like the first one where a huge alien mothership is hanging over NYC like its no big thing. When they attack it. You don't see them spending 3 minutes just flying over the biggest object they have ever seen.

Liam Hemsworth is the least Hemsworthy Hemsworth and the sooner he pisses off to where Taylor Lautner and Taylor Kitch or whatever Taytay that doesn't have squad goals go when we don't want to see them anymore, the better.

BTW: Did you know that China is a big market for Hollywood movies these days?

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Quick spoiler review:
    What it lacks that the first one had is a sense of scale. And a cohesive plot. And Character arcs for the main cast.

The Alien mother ship is... too large. You never get a sense of scale on the thing. Its just this huge thing that is 5000km across. And you never get any moment like the first one where a huge alien mothership is hanging over NYC like its no big thing. When they attack it. You don't see them spending 3 minutes just flying over the biggest object they have ever seen.

Liam Hemsworth is the least Hemsworthy Hemsworth and the sooner he pisses off to where Taylor Lautner and Taylor Kitch or whatever Taytay that doesn't have squad goals go when we don't want to see them anymore, the better.

That last part in the review:

how over the top is the China jerkoff? do they figure it out this time and talk about how the people united can never be divided and have a five year plan to defeat the aliens?

• Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Quick spoiler review:

That last part in the review:

how over the top is the China jerkoff? do they figure it out this time and talk about how the people united can never be divided and have a five year plan to defeat the aliens?
    The token multi-cultural character intended to demonstrate how the world has united is explicitly Chinese. That's about it.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Saw the new Jack Reacher 2: Reach harder trailer and was intrigued.

Is the first one any good?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Disco11 wrote: »

Yes, it's a solid mystery film with some good action beats and I was surprised at how menacing Tom Cruise could be, and he of course runs magnificently.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

that probably depends on how much of a Jack Reacher fan you are

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

I have not read any of the books but (and this is not easy to admit) I really like most Tom Cruise movies.

As long as he can either

A: ride a motorcycle

B: Run full speed for a ridiculously long shot

C: Stand up after getting thrown from an explosion

D: all of the above.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    As long as he can either

this is all the Tom Cruise movies

even Eyes Wide Shut*

*explosive orgasm

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

I have not read any of the books but (and this is not easy to admit) I really like most Tom Cruise movies.

As long as he can either

Man it's almost all of those things in Jack Reacher, except no motorcycle, you do get a muscle car chase.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    In Far and Away he rode a horse which is like a motorcycle from the future, only in the past.

• Options
    edited June 2016

It's a solid tom cruise action movie. It's not going to blow your mind except insomuch as you're like "wow that was a perfectly competent movie that I am shocked I haven't heard about till now".

Other than that it's not going to be a movie like Dredd where you're all "Jesus fuck how did this movie not become a cultural sensation!?" But it would have been worth seeing in theaters

Edit: it's on TV every once and a while and it's a movie where I might turn the channel to it. So better than a movie where you won't change the channel after its on

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular

Yeah - it's no coincidence that the upswing in the graph starts in 1995, or just about the same time that movie review websites started to appear.

• Options
    I thought this was a joke when I heard it, "hey did you hear Fallout Boy did the new Ghostbusters theme song?"

But it is real and is just really bad, am I actually being trolled bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AQ44nPrRTM

The only good thing about this was at the very end, there's a guitar riff that mimics the trumpet from the original theme song opening, but it's 2 seconds.

And it's not like movie tracks are a dying business compared to the glorious 80's, Bond is often dependable and Fast & Furious for the past two films have had some decent ones to go with the movies and while I didn't care for it Fallout Boy at least didn't Smashmouth their last theme song in Big Hero 6.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The whole "United Earth prospering off stolen alien tech" start to Independence Day 2 is the best bit. It's Macross-esque. Unfortunately, the new characters are either completely vanilla or just undeveloped. And the China thing is laugh out loud. They make a point in dialogue when introducing new pretty China pilot that "China has of course been incredibly important to the success of the Earth Space Defense Force Fleet." Having said this, it never comes up again, in any way.

Time now for the SPOILERS abandoned plot thread lightning round.
    -At the start of the movie, it's established that Will Smith's son (movie son, not Jaden) is "royalty" for his father's rep. There is NOTHING from this, like using his status to get through a controversial idea, or falling from grace from that high position, or whatever. The character basically has ONE non-stock action the whole movie. Then he's just "action guy with dead parents."
    -Similarly, Thor the Lesser Hemsworth has a sort of "flying too risky"/Maverick thing going on. The resolution to this is just that he feels bad about mistakes and flies no more crazy than anyone else.
    -Girl pilot and Not Thor are together and he wants to buy a house. She notably hesitates. Later, she reveals that... she actually had a house in mind and has no problems with the idea of living with him. Riiight.
    -Near the ending, girl pilot wants to fly a plane, but all of the ready ones are taken. There IS one with "23% power". She insists that this will be enough. It... is. There's no problem at all with the power of the plane.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Man, taking swipes at blatant China-appeasing is starting to get super old

I get it: element of film is there only because funding from China

At least it's a movie being nice to brown folks? Instead of doing that thing that Hollywood has always done, which is basically the opposite of being nice to brown folks

Also, some of the people mentioning it every time are starting to sound really racist

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

As long as he can either

Man it's almost all of those things in Jack Reacher, except no motorcycle, you do get a muscle car chase.

A chase with the greatest unnecessary hand gear shift ever.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    FroThulhu wrote: »

At least it's a movie being nice to brown folks? Instead of doing that thing that Hollywood has always done, which is basically the opposite of being nice to brown folks

Also, some of the people mentioning it every time are starting to sound really racist

Uh no. It's not "being nice to brown folks". It's the continued need to bend small parts of the story around requirements that representatives of the PRC be there and always be good and right and never makes mistakes ever.

Imagine if every single movie had to portray the US government as competent, trustworthy and never wrong or corrupt in any way.

shryke on
  • Options

I think that's a little extreme, since complaining about pandering is a time honored tradition.

BUT I think you're right about this specific movie. The amount of non-American characters is far too low in Independence Day: Resurgence to make sense in context of the introductory narration about how the world came together. The power dynamics between the various nations is also rather telling.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I thought this was a joke when I heard it, "hey did you hear Fallout Boy did the new Ghostbusters theme song?"

The only good thing about this was at the very end, there's a guitar riff that mimics the trumpet from the original theme song opening, but it's 2 seconds.

And it's not like movie tracks are a dying business compared to the glorious 80's, Bond is often dependable and Fast & Furious for the past two films have had some decent ones to go with the movies and while I didn't care for it Fallout Boy at least didn't Smashmouth their last theme song in Big Hero 6.

No tea, no shade, no pink lemonade, I legit think that song is good.

EDIT: And the album version of Immortals from American Beauty/American Psycho is so much worse than the BH6 version.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Uh no. It's not "being nice to brown folks". It's the continued need to bend small parts of the story around requirements that representatives of the PRC be there and always be good and right and never makes mistakes ever.

Imagine if every single movie had to portray the US government as competent, trustworthy and never wrong or corrupt in any way.

Yeah, no

It's a forced but kinda refreshing change from foreign governments, especially countries filled with non-white people, being incompetent and evil

And, much like a lot of the stuff I notice The Internet lamenting in movies, it seems to require having a checklist of shit to complain about handy in the cinema

But, hey, if you need to not enjoy movies that you pay to see, shine on!

• Options
    edited June 2016

Yeah, no

It's a forced but kinda refreshing change from foreign governments, especially countries filled with non-white people, being incompetent and evil

And, much like a lot of the stuff I notice The Internet lamenting in movies, it seems to require having a checklist of shit to complain about handy in the cinema

But, hey, if you need to not enjoy movies that you pay to see, shine on!

Uh, except that's not what happens. Governments are portrayed as all sorts of things in movies. Good, bad, corrupt, trustworthy, good intentions, bad. Usually a combination of all these things. But not with the PRC, who must be pandered to for that sweet Chinese-box-office-money.

The idea that it's a "refreshing change" is just ... what movies have you been watching?

But hey, continue being a complete goose about this claiming people "need to not enjoy movies" when they complain about the PRC filling blockbusters into little pieces of propaganda. That's not at all a nonsensical position or needlessly aggressive and accusational towards people just rolling their eyes at the latest bit of pandering. I don't see why you feel the need to accuse other posters of being racists and/or hating everything for no reason.

shryke on
  • Options

It sounds a lot like the original to me but its harder to hear the base rif over the distortion and heavier percucussion. And the "i'm not afraid" covers up the interlude theme. Its cluttered, and not in a good way, but its pretty recognizable if you listen to the two songs.

There is no trumpet in the original either. Fake edit: holy shit there actually is a trumpet in the original for 7 seconds.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    dispatch.o wrote:
    Edit: The military has traditionally cooperated quite often with movie makers when it came to filming things like aircraft and carriers and such, because it meant they could use that as leverage to ensure that the armed forces were always the good guys in the story. With the advent of CGI and budgets getting big enough that film crews can literally rent a squadron of jets for close ups and computer in the rest the military is losing it's grip on things and doesn't really know what to do.

Top Gun is the grand champion of this. They paid like $3 million for military equipment and had actual military personal do the navy stuff for them. It was all real, which is amazing.

I once worked on a shoot with a guy who worked on the crew of Top Gun. He said the cameraman could not track the planes for the fly-by shots with any accuracy, so they gave the cameras to the aircraft carrier gunners, who got the shots perfectly.

Insert armageddon Driller/Astronaut joke here.

I seriously am too tired to even think.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

It's basically the new Hayes Code.

Commander Zoom on
This discussion has been closed.