As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USA Presidential Election 2016: Screams from My Father

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I know there is a lot of focus on that tweet due to the text attached to it - but I find it hysterical that Trump's restaurant takes the time to put the taco bowl in a normal bowl, on a plate, with a cloth napkin. I guess I missed when "taco bowl" became fine dining. Additionally, it looks like Mr. Trump's taco bowl has pretty much no vegetables - it looks like a bowl of ground beef. That's a pretty crappy taco bowl.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    To be fair while that tweet was terrible and hilarious, it did prompt some A-grade zingers

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Ladai wrote: »
    Christ that fucking tweet/picture.

Literally nothing in either the picture or the tweet is genuine.

It's like a perfect summation of Trump as a candidate.

HEY NOW, that's not true. It was actually Cinco de Mayo. But, yeah, Clickhole wishes it could make a tweet that good.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »
    Folks getting Onion'd is one of my favorite things on the internet.

However, these days, and especially during this campaign, I've been getting increasingly reverse-Onion'd, in which I see a linked headline that I believe will take me to the Onion, but is actually a real news story.

#ThatsWhyOnionEditorsDrink

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    so, anyone keeping track of the shit going on in Mexico? Or France?

there is a woeful lack of reporting on the former

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    so, anyone keeping track of the shit going on in Mexico? Or France?

there is a woeful lack of reporting on the former

NIlC4aDh.png
    yo what the fuck

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/20/americas/oaxaca-mexico-clashes/

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    And I always though Oaxaca was one of the more peaceful states these days. What a mess.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    It's bizarre that there's so little reporting of Mexican police gunning down a teacher's union protest.

I saw Guillermo Del Toro tweeting about it a few days ago but haven't seen anything else about it since.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    rhylith wrote: »
    It's bizarre that there's so little reporting of Mexican police gunning down a teacher's union protest.

I saw Guillermo Del Toro tweeting about it a few days ago but haven't seen anything else about it since.

According to the New York Times, they were "radical teachers." There are a lot of other... odd journalistic choices in that article. It has the feel of massive editor rewrite.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular

According to the New York Times, they were "radical teachers." There are a lot of other... odd journalistic choices in that article. It has the feel of massive editor rewrite.

These are not your average teacher, they're radical teachers. They come to school on motorbikes, and they swear in front of the seniors!

But also holy shit what an absolute fucking tragedy. Killing teachers is awful. (killing people in general is awful. But teachers!? Too far. Too far.)

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I swear in front of students

but that's because we have to document their words exactly when they say things like "I'm going to fucking kill you and your dog too"

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    a lot of Latinx folk I'm friends with or follow have been talking about a LOT of nasty shit going on down there from the likes of the state/police

this rash of violence is only a piece of the picture

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Nice fucking Punisher skull on your fucking riot shield Mr. fucking Police Officer sir

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    It's a shame that the Punisher logo is kind of ruined for me now as like a thing to see in the world

It's a good logo and it's not the character's fault

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    I used to be an after school art teacher. One time I accidentally let a "just be a fucking person for a second here" slip to a student I was teaching while she was playfully pestering me while I was incredibly busy with what was basically a group of students who had suddenly decided to have a small riot instead of lining up to go be picked up by their parents. I don't think she even actually recognized what the word meant but I could see something fire and turn on behind her eyes as if she inherently knew what she had heard. Funny thing is she actually did become one of the most helpful and empathetic people I ever had the privilege of teaching after that, as if an adult using adult language in front of her instantly matured her in some way.

So yeah, swear in front of some students.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    I was doing yard duty at a Jr. high school yard and heard a kid loudly swear within yards of me

so I stop him, and point out every blind corner nearby PLUS the open window of the district office
    "Hey, if you're gonna swear? The principal or superintendent could be around any corner. And if they hear you swear, I have to do something about it."

the look of understanding on his face was p. intense

definitely a fan of teaching kids to moderate their swearing over saying "NO, NEVER" once they hit a good age for it

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I think we here in the USA would very much like to pretend that Mexico is not a failed state.

Might make us think about re-classifying immigrants as refugees or some such, or get introspective about how our policies impact our neighbors, or some other unpleasantness.

But wishing doesn't make it so...

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    seems weird we're also not talking about the house democrats, led by John Lewis, doing a sit-in to try and force a gun control vote

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    seems weird we're also not talking about the house democrats, led by John Lewis, doing a sit-in to try and force a gun control vote

Sadly, if I thought something impactful would come of it, I might say something. But until sides are willing to compromise, it's all just political kabuki

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

They are? Because I have to say I can't see it or read about it on social media, they must not be doing it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

They are? Because I have to say I can't see it or read about it on social media, they must not be doing it.

Did you try Periscope? (Seriously though it's pretty damn easy to find people talking about this on social media)

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited June 2016

Did you try Periscope? (Seriously though it's pretty damn easy to find people talking about this on social media)

I was mainly going for Paul Ryan attempting to silence the protest by turning off the cspan camera and requesting the people not do social media things.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I was mainly going for Paul Ryan attempting to silence the protest by turning of the cspan camera and requesting the people not do social media things.

Oh, gotcha. Incidentally, that's the reason that Periscope I linked to exists. A rep from San Diego took it upon himself to broadcast it, which is pretty great.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Its pretty nuts and a pretty brilliant move. They're all supposed to go on summer break, the country largely wants to have a vote on some form of gun control, they have the most toxic presidential candidate ever...

They're at their breaking point.

If they actually do just pack up and go on vacation, and leave democrats sitting on the floor (literally) of the Capital, its going to send an insane message that won't be forgotten this close to an election.

This is a crazy move.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Rather than a pivot towards Asia I'd honestly rather a pivot towards Mexico first. We could certainly do more to try and help them with their problems, especially the ones specifically caused by their shared border with the US.

Like with all the negative bashing of Mexico people forget that it's one of the top ten most important countries to the United States. Maybe even one of the top five. Even not talking about morality, what's in Mexico's interest is very often also going to be in our interest. Mexico's problems literally feed into our problems, and vice versa.

It's just an incredibly important, complicated relationship that so many people seem to take for granted.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    What I find interesting is that he shut off the CSPAN feed by declaring recess.
    Does that mean we're finally in a real recess for the first time in 8ish years and maybe Obama can slip some stuff through?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Does that mean we're finally in a real recess for the first time in 8ish years and maybe Obama can slip some stuff through?

Republicans all playing freeze-tag in the back of the hall.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Did I see somewhere that cspan is broadcasting the periscope?

• Options
    Did I see somewhere that cspan is broadcasting the periscope?

Probably, yeah.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

If it was the Senate then the answer would probably be yes.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »

Sadly, if I thought something impactful would come of it, I might say something. But until sides are willing to compromise, it's all just political kabuki

yeah, it is purely a gesture

a nice one, sure

it won't matter though

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

I can never remember which body is being terrible in which way.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

I can never remember which body is being terrible in which way.

General rule of thumb is that if it's a duty other than passing legislation, it's usually the Senate's job (at least on paper).

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular

This sides thing here bothers me. You may not have meant it in a "both sides" way but there's only one side that has been, for about a decade now, "It's our idea, put forward by our people, or nothing at all." Only one side voted down measures offering exactly what they wanted because it wasn't proposed by their party.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The Democrats Are Boldly Fighting For a Bad, Stupid Bill
    Paraphrasing: "if you're going to go through the motions, you might as well shoot for the stars and not a bill that would do nothing good."

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Technically there were like 4 different bills that failed to reach the floor and one of them was universal background checks, but yeah I really wish we (by which I mean house/senate dems) had gotten this fired up over something other than the no fly list.

On the other hand, at this point the gun control status quo is so fucked that I will take almost literally anything as a victory, just to show that some miniscule type of progress is possible.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options

Yeah John Lewis knows nothing of protests rich white man.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

This sides thing here bothers me. You may not have meant it in a "both sides" way but there's only one side that has been, for about a decade now, "It's our idea, put forward by our people, or nothing at all." Only one side voted down measures offering exactly what they wanted because it wasn't proposed by their party.

I don't recall either party voting down measures proposed by the other party that were "exactly what they wanted."

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    I disagree. I think that depending on the target audience It's a very excellent tactic, at least in principle.

It doesn't really help to convince liberals that Republicans are obstructionists. They already believe that. Donald Trump is already going to get those voters out to the polls on behalf of Democrats.

It's interesting, but ultimately ineffective, that they're trying to churn and burn the racist chaff that the GOP has picked up this cycle. Sure, It's a shitty bill. The GOP proper hates the no-fly list as a basis for gun sales in general. Who doesn't in the GOP? People who blithely assume anyone on a no-fly list is probably a terrorist. People who believe Donald Trumps seemingly random rhetoric that "our leaders", GOP included, are doing nothing to protect Americans from terrorism.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The thing that gets me about the "no guns for people on the terror watchlist" thing is that it would have done nothing to prevent the Pulse shooting. Much has been been made of the fact the guy had been on the terror watchlist but the guy wasn't on the terror watchlist at the time he bought the guns.

I could probably still be in favour of a bill stopping people on the terror watchlist from buying guns, (or better, they could buy guns but need to be given the ok by whoever's investigating them) but this bill also includes people on the no fly list, which has been notorious for false positives.

This discussion has been closed.