As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Schlitzkrieg 2016: In Seattle, Beer Drinks YOU

LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
edited August 2016 in PAX West
Ticket Link
If you're ordering from a Non-US location, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a different international payment link.

Washington State has almost 200 craft breweries, many with small-scale artisan brews that you're not going to find anywhere else in the world. Seattle is truly Beer Geek Heaven. The SchlitzKrieg is a beer tour for locals and out-of-towners alike, and focused on tiny up and coming nano-breweries that you probably won't find in the store. Throw in a little local history, an interesting scenic ride, and you've got a great way to spend a day outside of the Convention Center, where you can see more of the city than just the downtown.

Washington State Brewery Map

2012 was the first ever SchlitzKrieg at PAX Prime, where 30 Beer Geeks were loaded onto a big yellow bus and we toured 12 local craft breweries in the greater Seattle Area in 12 hours. You can check out that year's thread here and photos courtesy of @courtneyj from the first year here.

2013 was a Cycle Saloon tour around the breweries in the Seattle neighborhood of Ballard. It was fun but too much work.

2014 was a little strange, as we didn't get enough people to fill up a full bus so we all crammed into a van and a car. It wasn't terrifically comfortable.

2015 was the year we got a motherfucking party bus, bitches!

2016 will be our FIFTH ANNUAL SCHLITZKRIEG! It's hard to believe we're already on #5. We're getting the badass party bus again, and a banquet permit so you can drink on the bus again, AND there's a gaming laptop hookup to the video screens on the bus so we can play while we're traveling again. It's seriously an amazing time.

Big Ass Bus Photos
DSCN1036-20--20Copy.JPG
DSCN1051.JPG

Where and When
Wednesday, August 31
9:00 AM - 8:00 PM
2016 Tour Map

Itinerary
7:30 am Pre-Funk Breakfast at the Athenian for anyone who feels like coming out
9:00 am Van Leaves from the Seattle Sheraton
SEATTLE
9:15 – 9:35 Letterpress Distilling
9:45-10:05 2Bar Distillery .
10:15 – 11:00 pm Counterbalance Brewing
GRAHAM
12:15 – 1:00 pm M.T. Head Brewing Lunch Stop
BUCKLEY
1:35 – 2:20 pm Elk Head Brewing
MT. RAINIER NATIONAL PARK
2:50 - 3:10 pm Federation Forest State Park
AUBURN
4:10 – 4:40 pm Sidetrack Distillery
4:45 - 5:30 pm Schilling Cider
SEATTLE
6:30 - 7:45 pm West Seattle Brewing Company Dinner Stop
8:00 pm Arrive back at Sheraton

Tickets and Registration
Tickets will cost $100 per person to reserve, and covers:
- The awesome bus (awesome is expensive but awesome)
- Lunch
- Beer Passport
- Driver Gratuity

The ticket price goes down as we get more people on board to share the fixed cost of the bus.
22 people = $100 per ticket (minimum signups required)
25 people = $88 per ticket
27 people = $82 per ticket

It's recommended that you budget approximately $75 in additional money for the day to use for tastes, swag, snacks, and dinner.

Teams - will compete against each other for fun and the knowledge that you’re a winner.

Team Mystic
1. @Decius
2. @jobiwankenobi
3. @locutos359
4. @LordTerminus
5. @WalterF
6. @psiberian

Team Valor
1. @Shooer
2. @vespachica
3. @DeathNTaxes
4. @Adria
5. @Kantas

Team Instinct
1. @WuShock
2. @tehKellz
3. @Dunati
4. @Yogurt
5. @rachaelmika

Team F*ck Pokemon Go, I'm here for BEER!
1. @DasJester
2. @MagnusCarter
3. @Lexicongrrl
4. @ClannMorgan
5. @BakaAl
6. @Myers

Questions? Answers!

What is it?
A tour of an area around Seattle for beer lovers - whether you're local or coming in from out of town. Some more unusual, hidden gems will be included for any locals who might want to tag along and find new spots. It will also include some awesome area history, scenic rides wherever possible, restaurant stops, and the opportunity to see more than just the city.

What isn't it?
This is not a low-budget event. Also, much like the Pub Crawl, this is not a frat boy event. We're trying to pace the liquor so that everyone has a good time, including the guy that you didn't puke on.

When is it?
Wednesday 8/31 from 9am - 8pm

What's included for the price?
• Transportation
• Lunch
• Beer Passport
• Driver Gratuity

What's not included?
• Pints and Tastes
• Dinner & snacks
• Souvenirs
• Brewery Swag, bottles or Growlers
• Pre-Funk Breakfast

Where Are you Going?
South to the foothills of Mount Rainier (see the South Sound area on the map linked above). It's a farming and suburban area with pretty amazing views of the mountain (which happens to be a volcano). We'll take the long leg (about 1.25 hr) drive in the morning and work our way back up to the city. You'll be able to order sack lunches from a really good Seattle bodega ahead of time that we'll bust out when we get to M.T. head or Elk Head. We're stopping at a mix of breweries, cideries, distilleries, and a meadery brewer will be joining us on the tour bus. Dinner will be at Airways Brewing Bistro in Auburn before we head back up to Seattle

How much will it cost?
$100 to reserve.

If we reach our quota of 25 people, the price will drop to $88 and I'll refund you the difference or you can donate it to Child's Play. Most of the price is based on splitting the cost of the bus evenly and I'd rather give people money back than ask for more if we don't make our quota.

How is the cost calculated?
Bus - $1850
Lunch - $11 per person
Water and snacks on the bus - $20
Beer Passports - $50

There simply aren't any inexpensive group transportation options in Seattle anymore. Last year, we discovered that the approximately $25/per person increase in price between a school bus and a party bus made a HUGE difference in the comfort and fun of the ride. Just the bus costs $1800 for the day but it's worth the money, trust me.

Can I change my mind/plans/existence and get a refund?
Yes but it's discouraged after August 15. People change their travel plans to attend this tour, so it's tough to fill in vacancies at the last minute. Also, since the ticket price is largely dependent on dividing the cost of the van between everyone on the tour, cancellations that we can't fill with a warm body makes a huge headache for everybody on the day of the tour, as I try to recalculate the cost and figure out exactly who owes what. Of course, I understand that shit happens but please make every effort to stick to your reservation.

Can I attend just a portion of the tour?
Sure, if you have your own car and designated driver. We'll be in a rural area pretty far out of the city and won't be accessible by bus or taxi.

I have a better/different stop/place/brewery to suggest:
Suggest away! All suggestions are welcome but keep in mind that stops will be decided on the following criteria:

- Proximity to the tour route
- Hours (they need to be open, or willing to open for us)
- Size (macro breweries are discouraged)
- Willingness to accommodate the tour

How do I sign up and/or pay?
The ticket link is posted at the very beginning of the thread.

Do you need any helpers?
We always need helpers.

Why a Beer Tour?
Seattle loves its beer. There are a ridiculous number of macro, micro and nanobreweries in and around the Seattle area, from small garage operations that sell growlers on the weekends, to large factories pumping out nationally distributed brews. Most Seattleites either home brew or know someone who does and the options here are amazing.

I can't go/It's out of my budget: Will there be another event later?
If you can't make it to any of the tours, just check out the Brewery map (linked above) and make up your own tour. Otherwise the Cycle Saloon is a good way to do a private tour if you can put a group together to split the cost. Also, this past year they added a MOTHERFUCKING PONTOON CYCLE BOAT. Seriously. Pontoon cycle boat.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
LexiconGrrl on

• CrielCriel Registered User regular
    Do we have to start at 9 or can we hop on anytime during? We won't be in the city until around noon. What do the tours consist of?

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    It's not hop on - hop off. We tour breweries outside of Seattle so it's a single departure and you're committed for the day.

• Baka AlBaka Al Registered User regular
    Well, save me a seat for this! Was hoping to see this again.. Got to keep the 'Krieg streak going

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Bump.

Also, paging @Decius. @Decius to the thread, please. The Oilers are overpaying for Milan Lucic; you obviously need alcohol.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Dammit. I'm going to count my PTO days and see if I can make it this time.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    SO glad this is on again. Still working on flights, hopefully we can make it again, last year was a great time.

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    *Decius answers the white courtesy phone.

This is a thing I want to do again. The Oilers not longer cause me to drink though. We've moved beyond that.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    I had a blast on this last year. Alas I've not got a soon enough flight for this this year, so I wish you the best.

• MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    Good thing I'm getting in to Seattle on the 28th then, plenty of time to recover from jet-lag & localise the palet before a day tasting many beers.

Just for everyone's information, what is the target for attendees so that we can afford the party bus again? ;-)

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

WuShock wrote: »
    Just for everyone's information, what is the target for attendees so that we can afford the party bus again? ;-)
    'bout 30. give or take some.

edited July 2016
    Bump.

If you're on the fence about this, it is a truly glorious day of refined drunken frivolity. There are precious few instances where it's socially acceptable to be drunk before noon. This is one of them.

Plus, the travel aspect almost certainly means choice Pokémon for Team Instinct...I mean, for whatever team you may be on.

Deets will be forthcoming once Lexi has time to breathe, but the sooner we can get a full manifest, the better chance we can get the party bus reserved.

WuShock on
    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

Team Valor, yo.

Also, I requested the day off. Through sheer willpower alone I will refuse to be ill for the rest of the year. I'd rather use PTO for fun things anyway!

ufq9gj8383nh.png

edited August 2016
    Okay, so by my reckoning (considering Awesome votes in this thread as interest), we actually already have nearly half the bus filled:
    1. @LexiconGrrl
    2. @JobiwanKenobi
    3. @WuShock
    4. @Baka Al
    5. @vespachica
    6. @ClannMorgan
    7. @DeathNTaxes
    8. @Decius
    9. @Psiberian (As an aside, I'll take 3 big bottles of the citrus, or something similarly yummy.)
    10. @Khadour
    11. @MagnusCarter
    12. @tehKellz
    13. @tehKellz +1
    14. @DasJester
    15. @locutos359
    16. @locutos359 +1
    17. @WuShock +1
    18. @WalterF

So, the next logical step would be to ping the other attendees from last year to gauge interest from them: @Kevralyn , @Emod , @chaosisorder , @tac042 , @Brandobaris , @Shooer , @DMB2015 , and @Thedivh

OR...NEW interested parties could consider the health benefits of a relaxing brewery tour on what will certainly be a beautiful Wednesday in northwestern Washington and put their names in.

"Guaranteed"* features of the trip:
    - beer
    - food (Including a hearty breakfast to build a solid gastrointestinal base before outright abuse of your livers commences)
    - Scenery (good grief Washington is positively LOUSY with scenery)
    - Lexi trying to push me over at random intervals
    - mead (if I have my way, at least)
    - Drunken CAH (Lord knows SOMEBODY will bring their copy)
    - A bus driver wth an Agent Colson vibe

(* not legally binding as a guarantee)

WuShock on
    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

- Drunken CAH (Lord knows SOMEBODY will bring their copy)

I would bring mine, but I spent too much time explaining the Canadian cards last time.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    @WuShock I'm sorry, but I definitely can't go (I won't be in town in time). I was just showing support for an awesome PAX-adjacent event.

YoungFrey on
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    @WuShock I'm sorry, but I definitely can't go (I won't be in town in time). I was just showing support for an awesome PAX-adjacent event.

So noted. Sorry, I was using the information available. Didn't mean to put you on the spot.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

So noted. Sorry, I was using the information available. Didn't mean to put you on the spot.

You didn't I just wanted to help keep the count accurate.

I + 1 (DeathNTaxes) will be there, I love beer too much to miss this ride! We'll be flying in on Tuesday so plenty of time to unwind, unpack and hopefully make it to the pre-tour breakfast.

edited July 2016
    Don't worry if you showed up on Wu's list but aren't going this year - he's just has an excite. Once tickets go on sale then we'll get a verified list.

LexiconGrrl on
  • dm_magicdm_magic Registered User regular
    I wish I could make it, but my wife and I will be arriving after the bus leaves. :(

bn4KEyz.png
  • PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    @WuShock watch where you are pointing that thing man. Seriously should totally have citrus by then, the batch is out of fermentation and just aging a bit right now. Will even have more fun flavors, assuming of course people want to actually repeat a stop from a previous year. I'd have to do a half trip so I can make sure things are ready before people get here since I know lexi runs a tight ship time wise. If not, I might be assed to drag my butt south early. Either way it was a blast last year highly recommend for fence sitters.

camo_sig2.png
    Psiberian wrote: »
    Assuming of course people want to actually repeat a stop from a previous year

There is no question of our stopping at your fine meadery.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    So here's a question for everybody: typically we get a bus and go to multiple stops on the tour, get out of town, and see some scenery. What if we mixed it up a bit, made less stops, and spent more time at a single location with guest brewers and distillers? There is a distillery south of Seattle with an amazing outdoor event space on their farm and they might be able to be talked into hosting a midday spirits garden. We could hit a brewery or two on the way down, but that would be the primary stop for a few hours.

Thoughts?

I think an hour and a half is more than enough time at one place, unless they will have food to help soak up some of the alcohol. In the end I trust your judgment to plan a great trip.

I think an hour and a half is more than enough time at one place, unless they will have food to help soak up some of the alcohol. In the end I trust your judgment to plan a great trip.

I was thinking more along the lines of getting a few breweries and distilleries to come to us, there, and having a sort of food court for spirits? Just spitballing here...

I'm down with whatever. I trust @LexiconGrrl 's experience completely at this point.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

I trust @LexiconGrrl 's experience completely at this point.

Totally agree.

That would be awesome, actually.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• tehKellztehKellz Registered User regular
    Just poking my head in to express interest for me and another - never been before, rarely make it out to pax. Love visiting breweries and trying beer.

So, @LexiconGrrl, you realize that no matter how you want to break the group into teams this year it will naturally re-form into Pokemon Go teams, right?

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• DasJesterDasJester Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If New Challengers are welcomed, I would be down for joining this amazing quest for beer.

Team Valor here.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

So, @LexiconGrrl, you realize that no matter how you want to break the group into teams this year it will naturally re-form into Pokemon Go teams, right?

Yeah, whatevs.

Them: "Pokemon!!"
    Me: "Wha-? Beer!!"

• DasJesterDasJester Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Yeah, whatevs.

Them: "Pokemon!!"
    Me: "Wha-? Beer!!"

Cool, sign me up for Team Beer also!

• JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
    Will there be a Team Ran-out-of-Pokeballs-before-it-asked-me-to-pick-a-team?

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
    Will there be a Team Ran-out-of-Pokeballs-before-it-asked-me-to-pick-a-team?

You live in SEATTLE. If you can't max out your inventory there, it's your own darn fault.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
    Ok, I finally googled how to get more Pokeballs and perhaps I neglected to RTFM... the good news is that my office is within range of Pokestop so I should be able to build up my inventory and someday reach level 5... I guess...

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
  • locutos359locutos359 Registered User regular
    I got to attend 2 years ago. I'm definitely interested in going again this year, and speak for anywhere from 2-4 people.

edited July 2016
    Okay, tentative plan - subject to confirmation from the breweries/distilleries:

This year we're going to mix it up a bit and visit some distilleries along with the breweries. However, we'll be going SOUTH so a stop at Aesir Meadery will not happen (sorry guys!). But, But, But - we might be able to organize a tasting with @Psiberian at another location, so don't fret too much. We're also doing the long driving leg in the morning and will do stop offs as we make our way back to the city.

If we get enough people, we can get the big party bus with the video hookup again, but someone will need to bring a gaming laptop. Yes, you'll be able to drink on the bus. Your feedback is welcomed regarding the tentative plan laid out below:

7:30AM - breakfast at the Athenian, per our yearly tradition.
    9:00AM - bus leaves the Sheraton
    9:15AM - visit a downtown Seattle microdistillery (Probably Letterpress or 2Bar)
    10:00AM - visit a downtown Seattle brewery to load up on beer and sustenance for the road trip ahead (Probably Two Beers, but there's a lot to choose from)
    10:45PM - Drive to MOTHERFUCKING MOUNT RAINIER, BITCHES! It's a seriously gorgeous drive.
    12:00PM - visit Mt. Head Brewing in Graham
    2:00PM - visit Elk Head Brewing in Buckley
    4:00PM - visit Cockrell cidery in Puyallup
    5:30PM - visit Sidetrack distillery in Auburn, where they have an amazeballs large outdoor event space. Hopefully we'll have a tasting garden set up with a couple of other breweries/distilleries/meaderies/cideries, games, and general drunken debauchery. I'll see if we can get some sort of snacky happy hour thing or a salmon bake or something going on.

At this point we can stay at Sidetrack for a few hours and make maybe one more stop on the way back for dinner, or we could insert another stop in earlier during the day and wind up the last stop of the evening at Sidetrack, driving back to the Sheraton afterward. Food stops still need to be figured out.

LexiconGrrl on