As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Billion Degrees of [Science]

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Darmak wrote: »
    I have a question for those of y'all that know more about physics than I do. While playing with a fidget spinner at work I noticed that while it's spinning it sort of, I dunno, resists when I move it? Like if I'm holding it horizontally while it's spinning and I try to rotate my hand so that it's spinning vertically it feels like it's resisting. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Why does it do that? Does the phenomenon have a name?

That phenomenon is how gyroscopes work and has to do with conservation of angular momentum. Honestly it sorta breaks my head a little bit.

Edit: Stupid new page making me edit in the quote.

Edit2: Try this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty9QSiVC2g0

It shows some of the stupid tricks this leads to. Don't have sound at the moment so I think this is right.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I have a question for those of y'all that know more about physics than I do. While playing with a fidget spinner at work I noticed that while it's spinning it sort of, I dunno, resists when I move it? Like if I'm holding it horizontally while it's spinning and I try to rotate my hand so that it's spinning vertically it feels like it's resisting. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Why does it do that? Does the phenomenon have a name?

That's gyroscopic motion.

It'll resist angular movement to continue it's rotation.

It's neat. You'll get a similar feedback from platter hard drives when they spin up if you try to move it around in your hand.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018

That phenomenon is how gyroscopes work and has to do with conservation of angular momentum. Honestly it sorta breaks my head a little bit.

Yeah its angular momentum, there is a physics lecture about it I saw on youtube I thought was pretty good

Short version!

https://youtu.be/NeXIV-wMVUk

Longer version!

https://youtu.be/LokwTnLBEQQ

Edit I think that guy has other videos up that show/explain gyroscope stuff too

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

It has to do with the spinning and stuff. To drunk to actually explain. But here is some further reading material https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyroscope

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Moment_of_inertia is the technical term for how easy a spinning mass is to alter orentiation or speed. Also, wikipedia link for further reading, if you're interested. Angular_momentum is more specifically what you're asking about, regarding manipulation of a spinning mass.

As already stated it's why gyroscopes do how they do. Since a fidget spinner is just a stripped down and less precise gyroscope, it's why you get the feeling of resistance on your hand when changing orientation.

The most interesting trick I've seen is using a spinning bicycle tire to rotate a person sitting on a rotating chair.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Yeah its angular momentum, there is a physics lecture about it I saw on youtube I thought was pretty good

Short version!

https://youtu.be/NeXIV-wMVUk

Longer version!

https://youtu.be/LokwTnLBEQQ

Edit I think that guy has other videos up that show/explain gyroscope stuff too

Dude has video lectures for the entirety of some MIT physics courses and is fairly interesting to watch if you're into that sort of geekery.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Wow, that was really fast! Thanks y'all, I'm checking those videos and links out now!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I'm really glad everyone else answered that. I was going to try to, but I am not a physics person, and would have wound up making a fool of myself and confusing Darmak.

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    I'm really glad everyone else answered that. I was going to try to, but I am not a physics person, and would have wound up making a fool of myself and confusing Darmak.

To be fair, I'm confused anyway. But I'm a highschool dropout so that's to be expected!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

To be fair, I'm confused anyway. But I'm a highschool dropout so that's to be expected!

I always just think of it as "things travelling in a direction would like to continue traveling in that direction", and when you try and change the direction, they resist.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that's also why bikes tend to stay upright when in motion

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    that's also why bikes tend to stay upright when in motion

You obviously haven't seen me on one. :P

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    You are talking about gyroscopic effect.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Yes. The gyroscope effect.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Hey y'all I think Darmak might be talking about the gyroscopic effect

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Y’all ever hear of the motion which is unique to spinning gyros?

It’s something like gyrogiggitydoo somethin’-or-other motion, can’t think of it just now.

• Options
    Now I really want a gyro, thanks sarukun

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    My work here is done.

Better find me a sunset to walk into.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Y’all ever hear of the motion which is unique to spinning gyros?

It’s something like gyrogiggitydoo somethin’-or-other motion, can’t think of it just now.

I think the effect of a spinning gyro is called shwarma.

• Options
    I was trying to work in a squidbillies reference, but thing's just didn't go my way.

Such is my lot in life.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Why do you think they're called gyros?

Because the only way to avoid dripping spicy garlic sauce on your shirt when you're eating one is to spin around very very fast, which ensures that any drips are flung away from you.

• Options
    Why would I not want to drip garlic sauce on myself? That's just wasteful

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    If I walked on the moon, while on my deathbed I'd say it was faked, but offer up no other details before I died, just to fuck with people.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    TheStig wrote: »
    If I walked on the moon, while on my deathbed I'd say it was faked, but offer up no other details before I died, just to fuck with people.

Remember when Buzz punched that guy in the mouth for claiming he faked walking on the moon?

Yeah, I don't think he's gonna change his mind

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Astronauts (and other space travellers regardless of what they're called by their respective countries) are, in the truest sense of a word that gets thrown around an awful lot, heroes. I hate the moon landing conspiracy or other conspiracies regarding NASA and manned space flight for that reason especially.

Like, these are people who are selflessly putting their lives on the line in the spirit of furthering the human race. Of extending our reach, boldly going and all that. They can die horribly at literally any second for like a thousand reasons while on mission, and it's all just for the sake of answering questions.

It's the noblest thing I can think of. Fuckin a, humans. We're pretty cool from time to time.

Edit: actually, space animals too. By god, this is an interspecies endeavor and the non-human contributions to space travel should be acknowledged, even if it is kinda uncomfortable. Especially because it is in fact.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

Remember when Buzz punched that guy in the mouth for claiming he faked walking on the moon?

Yeah, I don't think he's gonna change his mind

Now, to be fair, it takes more than just denying it to get Buzz to punch you in the face. You have to harass him constantly and then ambush him.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    You know what blows my mind? Water gaps. Rivers that run through a mountain range leaving a gorge.

Because it means that the river is older than the mountains. The gorge can't have been formed after the mountains were there, as the river would not have been able to flow up one side and down the other. So before there were mountains (or before there was those mountains) the river was doing its thing and over time the mountains formed, but they couldn't displace or stop the river. Which is pretty crazy.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    You know what blows my mind? Water gaps. Rivers that run through a mountain range leaving a gorge.

Because it means that the river is older than the mountains. The gorge can't have been formed after the mountains were there, as the river would not have been able to flow up one side and down the other. So before there were mountains (or before there was those mountains) the river was doing its thing and over time the mountains formed, but they couldn't displace or stop the river. Which is pretty crazy.

Unless the pass the gorge occupies was already the lowest point, or maybe even just reached a lower point earlier, causing the water to run that way, which then made the gorge.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Unless it's a result of snow/ice action.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44924796

A competition helping to drive development of the futuristic hyperloop transport system has been won by engineering students from Munich.

The hyperloop idea involves passengers in pods travelling at very high speeds down sealed tunnels.

The team's pod hit 457km/h (290mph) on a 1.2km (0.75 mile) test track.

Run by the SpaceX aerospace company, the competition aims to refine the technologies that could underpin the super-fast transport system.

We going scifi now?

Peas on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I hope those teams contributing engineering work to this are being paid

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    I hope those teams contributing engineering work to this are being paid

Exposure and experience are forms of payment, right?

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

i'm honestly so jazzed about this

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Hmm

Mars Sludge is probably not toxic, and maybe full of useful macromolecules

Sarcophagus probably grants eternal life, but is incredibly cursed

It's really a tossup!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm definitely down for the Mars goop

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The Sarcophagus was submerged in sewage. That's what the liquid is.

Mars all the way.

This discussion has been closed.